Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

achtungnight posted:

I read somewhere that Terra was also mandatory for Kefka's Tower due to a magic barrier only she could break that you only see if you fly close without her in the party. Did they change that for this version of FF6?
I think that was only for the Brave New World rom hack Mega64 did awhile ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

achtungnight posted:

I read somewhere that Terra was also mandatory for Kefka's Tower due to a magic barrier only she could break that you only see if you fly close without her in the party. Did they change that for this version of FF6?

There's a kernel of truth hidden in what you said, but basically the answer is no. You only require the three characters for beating the rest of the game.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
:eng101:The dullahan is a type of fairy, so it's not actually any kind of ghost or undead creature (although according to stories they go to the places where people will die in order to collect their souls when it happens).

They're also supposed to be headless, which this one isn't. Unless its head is just duct-taped onto its neck so it could have its hands free.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Trasson posted:

There's a kernel of truth hidden in what you said, but basically the answer is no.

You want to elaborate?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Weavered posted:

You want to elaborate?

Doing so would involve spoilers for the final dungeon, so no.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Apologies for tempting Mikey Spoilers, baddest man in Lego City. A yes or no is enough for me, perhaps Leave will give full answer later. Or Trasson can once the final dungeon is done.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I remember way long ago reading that the Mad Oscars were named "Marlboro" in Japan but had to be changed due to copyright. It may have been in this strategy guide which I always loved more than the official one. It might not have had all the in depth charts and lists but it was fun to read!

Anyway I don't know if the Marlboro story is true but it makes sense due to their Bad Breath attack.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I remember way long ago reading that the Mad Oscars were named "Marlboro" in Japan but had to be changed due to copyright. It may have been in this strategy guide which I always loved more than the official one. It might not have had all the in depth charts and lists but it was fun to read!

Anyway I don't know if the Marlboro story is true but it makes sense due to their Bad Breath attack.

I kinda miss the days when games could have like 3 different strategy guides.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember FFVII had two of them, and both of them had something fairly important wrong, but not the same thing. Damned if I can remember which was which. One had a materia in the wrong place, and I can't remember the other.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Randaconda posted:

I remember FFVII had two of them, and both of them had something fairly important wrong, but not the same thing. Damned if I can remember which was which. One had a materia in the wrong place, and I can't remember the other.

One of them spoiled a certain extremely spoilery event that happens at the end of disk one, so that was cool of them.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Trasson, could you PM me about whatever you mean? I'm drawing a blank.

As for the FF7 strategy guide, I had the Prima one, which listed some enemies with Midgar amount of HP. I alwayswondered if that meant if you killed them, if you could take the city in a fight.

Edit: Would you guys like another update tonight? It's going to be far shorter, but it'll lead to a vote that really opens up the World of Ruin.

Leave fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 26, 2017

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

let it rip. Don't forget the music links.

Don't.
Forget.
Music.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Post the eggs, Leave.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Eat the updates, Leave.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Do it.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Not really. The Japanese name is モルボル (which I've in the past year or so taken to calling 'Mortboule' in my notes—'death ball' in French). Marlboro would be マールボロ.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Trasson, could you PM me about whatever you mean? I'm drawing a blank.

As for the FF7 strategy guide, I had the Prima one, which listed some enemies with Midgar amount of HP. I alwayswondered if that meant if you killed them, if you could take the city in a fight.

Edit: Would you guys like another update tonight? It's going to be far shorter, but it'll lead to a vote that really opens up the World of Ruin.

Sent.

Also yeah, it's totally the best point to drop the mother of all polls so miniupdates are cool.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Post that poo poo

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
dooooo it.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
Let's do it up.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I'm in favor of the update being posted.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Fifty One: Opening The Ruined World

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI Advance, we made our way through Darill's Tomb and stopped just before Han's big reveal. Today, we're going to go ahead with that and then start collecting party member, so let's roll.

We're just following Han down these steps as he reminisces about Darill.

Yes, she has a unique sprite. No, there's nothing to it.

That sounds like a quitter attitude, Han.

"Like I can be trusted with anything important!?"

I have to admit, of the two, Blackjack is a cooler name for a ship than Falcon.

We cut to a scene of those two zooming around the world.

No, that's not a crash about to happen. It's just a daredevil stunt.

This next line is fantastic.

Darill is pretty cool.

I can only see Han shaking his fist in rage, like an old man who realized that there are squirrels climbing his trees.

"How'd she know why I wasn't passing her...?"

We all know how this is going to turn out, right?

While it looks similar, I'm pretty sure this is a different spot than where Olivia tried to off herself.

Though, I wouldn't put it out of the realm of coincidences, since this is a video game.

"I waited there that entire time. I finally left when I ran out of the grass I'd be grazing on."

So, here's why there's such an elaborate tomb. I guess.

Han put that poo poo underground and built Darill's final resting place over top of it.

I dunno, let's get Leave to toss you off a cliff. I bet you'll get some good speed.

I would have loved to capture a .gif of this, but it would be friggin' huge.

I mean, I did make a .gif of it. It's nearly 12 MB, though, and there is no way I would be able to get that to fit on LPix. If you want to see it in motion, just click here.

Of what?

That's not really a great idea right now, guys.

I mean, we could, but it wouldn't go quite as smoothly as you guys are thinking.

Which is exactly what we're going to be doing.

Hey, that bird looks familiar.

I'm thinking it isn't the same bird, Olivia. I'm pretty sure that Kefka didn't nuke every other white bird on the planet except for one lucky avian.

But, maybe he did. He's pretty fuckin' nuts.

:allears:

Off we go!

It does land at a town, which gives us a pretty big hint about where to find one of our scattered party members.

You might remember Maranda as the town occupied by Imperial soldiers who were holding dog fights.

He doesn't elaborate, which disappoints me.

This is another new NPC for this version of the game.

And this is another clue about one of the new Espers in this game. The Jumbo Cactuar from Final Fantasy VIII makes an appearance here, but we'll snag him later.

Nope!

Keep that in mind for later.

I guess she's right. Then again, if you know something bad is going to happen, then that could make you miserable.

...I'm really hoping she doesn't have a boyfriend there.

Let's go chat with Lola and see what this is about.

So, either Duane is two-timing Katherine, or one of the children there is bragging about his girlfriend (you wouldn't know her, she's from Canada Maranda).

Jesus, this guy is making the rest of us look bad.

Hell yes, I'm going to snoop on her personal correspondence.

This guy art full of shite.

Definitely not Mobliz, unless he's being a huuuuuge dick and hiding out from Terra and letting Mobliz get hosed over by Humbaba.

Hey, then we can follow the pigeon!

If you guys vote to do so.

See, we're going to be voting for characters in little blocks.

At the end of this update, I'm going to have you guys BOLD a vote for who we go get first.

Your options are going to be Terra, Jack, Wendy, or Bowser.

We've already gotten a gigantic hint about where to find Jack.

There are some people we can't go get without having certain people recruited already. And there's one character I'm going to loving refuse to go get until I have a certain party member.

So, we're going to end this update here. I need you guys to BOLD a vote for which character we go and get first; will it be Terra? Jack? Wendy? Or will it be Bowser?

I'll give voting three days before I tally them up (or have them tallied) and go recruiting. I'll start with whoever has the most votes, then go down the list until we have these four back, then we'll start a new voting block.

Leave fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 26, 2017

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Bowser, then Terra.

Dude got the absolute least screentime in the WoB despite being given the title of Bowser for this particular LP. Its high time we fix that.

(edit: Leave announced 2nd votes legal. Edited in 2nd vote accordingly.)

SMaster777 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 28, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Terra probably needs help dealing with a terrifyingly terrible terror.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bowser

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
You go get Wendy right now.

Adorable murder godesses need levels to grow properly. Go get her and equip her with a magic-boosting esper.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm tempted to get Terra because of plot stuff, but I don't know what Wendy has in store, so let's do her first.

Edit: Then you can go get Terra.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 30, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wendy.

(No music links? Where's the music, Leave? :bahgawd:)

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Every good adventuring party needs a ninja. Bowser.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Edit: changed my vote in a later post.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 28, 2017

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm tempted to get Terra because of plot stuff, but I don't know what Wendy has in store, so let's do her first.

You know what, Wendy's scenario is kind of cool. Or maybe it's just the way she acts during it. Do it for this guy.
Are you going to fly over some of the landmarks in this new world first? There's one place you should probably land in...

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Considering the BS all the other quests put you through before you can get them,

Terra.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Terra

Even just looking at the screenshots (instead of watching the gif), when the Falcon started rising from the sea, Searching for Friends immediately started playing in my head.

Love that song. Really gives that feeling of reignited hope.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
It's Bowser time.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Weeble posted:

Terra

Even just looking at the screenshots (instead of watching the gif), when the Falcon started rising from the sea, Searching for Friends immediately started playing in my head.

Love that song. Really gives that feeling of reignited hope.

Speaking of which:

Is that the right song there?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I vote for Terra first. I usually get her first because of the high magic power she brings to the party- which makes getting other people easier later- and she requires the least amount of trial compared to the other choices. But I'm willing to go along with whoever gets the vote.

As far as my Missed Monster updates, I think I will release the next one on this coming Wednesday night or Thursday night at the latest. It will cover any monsters in the Kohlingen area of the World of Ruin and Darrill's Tomb not shown off by Leave.

The one after that will come after we have all 4 of the currently polled party members. It will contain any missed monsters in the areas where we find them- open world map and dungeons.

I look forward to the exploration ahead. So many fond memories of playthrus past. :)

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
bowser

Also, I love how Leave just sits there on the ship going "duuuurrrrrr".

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

SMaster777 posted:

Bowser.

Dude got the absolute least screentime in the WoB despite being given the title of Bowser for this particular LP. Its high time we fix that.

Voting Bowser for the above reason unless not getting Jack now means we miss him. Then I'll edit my vote to him.

Edit: Changed my vote

Edit edit: Scratch this whole post. I've voted later in the thread.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 28, 2017

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mikl posted:

Wendy.

(No music links? Where's the music, Leave? :bahgawd:)

At least he put Epitaph in, but yeah. How can he forget Searching For Friends when the Falcon bursts from the sea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's been so long that I've forgotten who she is, so I vote Wendy.

• Locked thread