Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Do people still use Pidgin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

GreenNight posted:

Does that work with Facebook? I used Pidgin ages ago but it stopped working with Facebook and it was always feature poor for me.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

GreenNight posted:

Until just a few months ago I used it all the time at work (then we moved to an internally-hosted slack clone).

I don't know what protocol Hangouts uses but the old Google chat was XMPP, and pidgin can do that.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
I just gave it a try, and it's just too feature poor for me. It looks like I'm (sadly) back to Franz for now.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Darius099 posted:

I just gave it a try, and it's just too feature poor for me. It looks like I'm (sadly) back to Franz for now.

Pidgin has a huge number of extensions. It may be worth checking to see if those get you the functions you want.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Generic Monk posted:

windows 10 makes my Thinkpad x220 inexplicably get hotter than the sun and craters my performance. windows 7 does not. you could argue that no one should still be using a Thinkpad x220 but hey it still works better than fine. windows 10 also still feels like a half-finished beta, even more than windows usually does, even more than windows 8. after an extended period of time using windows 10 it was also quite refreshing to go back to an operating system that isn't constantly getting feature updates. not that there's necessarily anything wrong with feature updates, it's just that Microsoft have proved time and again (to me at least) that they can't do a substantial in-place upgrade of the OS without breaking it ever so slightly. windows 7 also has slightly less in the way of overlong, sluggish flourish animations for things you do all the time like opening the start menu and interacting with items on the taskbar.

it still gets security updates; I don't think there's any harm in doing it in the short run
I've been thinking about upgrading to Win10, but these kinds of posts make me wary. I don't really care about bells & whistles or DirectX12, so as long as the security updates are coming for Win7, the performance is the deal-breaker for me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Darius099 posted:

Any particular reason you don't care for Franz? I've had nothing but good times using it.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Uthor posted:

Heh, I was wondering if this was the thread to ask about backup software in. I have a server, but I don't want to use it as a backup location because one of the things I need to backup is the server itself! And ideally I'd like to backup off site.

Lifehacker was recommending Backblaze last year over CrashPlan, so I'm going to investigate that. It's a little cheaper for one computer, but it also means I'll have to pay for a second license for my parents' computer.

I've been trying to use Backblaze, and the experience has been miserable. It wants to back up nearly a terabyte of data (my Crashplan bucket was maybe 20 gigs) and the interface for excluding directories and filetypes is aggressively awful.

That said, if I were running off a single partition, or looking for a backup solution for my parents, I'd probably be very happy with it.

Edit: I think I can work around my stupid quibbles with Carbonite, coming back to it a few hours later.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 23, 2017

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
I can recommend duplicacy as the frontend and Backblaze B2 as the storage. Works great for me (some TBs of data stored) and pretty cheap.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

EssOEss posted:

I can recommend duplicacy as the frontend and Backblaze B2 as the storage. Works great for me (some TBs of data stored) and pretty cheap.

Oh this looks promising

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm looking for something that will let me mass-edit jpeg files' metadata, preferably based on their filename, a text file, or other properties. Windows 7, 64-bit, trusted freeware preferred.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Exiv2 with a batch file should be able to do what you want. Do you have a specific example?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thanks, I'll look into that, though I would prefer something with a GUI. My specific use (which may change) is to take the filenames and insert them into the files' metadata. So, "thing.jpg" shows up in the EXIF in a custom field or in the JPEG comment.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Are there any good file managers? I want something that can quickly flatten directories without deleting files. Preferably something that can partially flatten directories and leave the lowest subfolders intact.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
If I have a batch script (.bat), but a few of the commands require Administrator perms, is there an inline command I can do instead of just call()'ing a separate file that opens as admin?

I've tried runas /noprofile /user:Administrator start, but I can't figure out the syntax and whether it even works for me here. It just throws me the help view, mocking me.

E: Looks like the Run as admin checkbox isn't even there for the Advanced file options anymore. Welp.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 26, 2017

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

ufarn posted:

E: Looks like the Run as admin checkbox isn't even there for the Advanced file options anymore. Welp.

I think this should still work if you make a shortcut to your batch file.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm hoping someone can recommend software/method for re-compressing many video files at once:

I have a lot of videos (movies, entire seasons of shows) that I'd like to watch on my ancient Nexus 7. They come in variety of formats (majority is mp4, but also some avi and wmv), resolutions (generally 480p and 720p), and codecs (who the hell knows at this point). The idea is to convert them en masse to minimize the filesize without completely ruining the image quality -- I'm looking for a way to watch lovely Canadian Sci-Fi and Serious British Detective shows on long flights on a tablet with limited storage, not some high-end AV experience.

So I'm looking for recs for both software and a go-to format/codec. It looks like Handbrake or ShanaEncoder would do the job, but I'm clueless as to some "best generic compression" setting beyond that. If you have suggestions on either, please fire away. Thank you!

edit: (also crossposting in the Plex thread, figured people there might have ideas) I'll wait on this.

Trabant fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 26, 2017

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
If they're not already in H.264 or VP8/VP9, you're going to lose quality regardless of what you do.

I'd recommend H.264 Main Profile with AAC-LC audio in an MP4 container, since that's what's going to be hardware-accelerated for sure. YouTube's settings are probably a good starting point for your use as well, but use the Main Profile instead of the High Profile, since Android doesn't support High Profile. You might have to increase the bitrate for the video since it's a worse profile.

Encoding isn't an exact science, and having a whole bunch of videos with obsolete codecs makes things more complicated. Pick some settings, encode a video, and see if it looks good without turning your tablet into a toaster.

The codecs that are good for Android are H.264 Baseline/AAC-LC/MP4 for ancient devices, H.264 Main/AAC-LC/MP4 for somewhat old devices like yours, VP8/Vorbis/Matroska for newer devices, and VP9/Opus/Matroska for devices <1 years old.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mercrom posted:

Are there any good file managers? I want something that can quickly flatten directories without deleting files. Preferably something that can partially flatten directories and leave the lowest subfolders intact.

FreeCommander lets you create temporary file containers and then perform mass operations on them. Assuming for a moment that all your "lowest subfolders" are at the same depth, you'd do a find-everything to a certain depth, export the list to a container, then do your file operations.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a really basic question. I use Gmail and enjoy the fact that it automatically separates emails into normal, social, updates, etc. I'd like to use the built in Mail app to access these but it seems no email app can handle the "labels" that Gmail uses? Ideally I want to have Mail parse the emails to the correct folders, and set which folders ding and alert me. Like, I want to know when general and updates come in, but I don't care about social updates particularly so I don't want to be told when they come in.

Is there any way to do this? If there's a way I can quick reply in the toast box that'd be even sweeter. Or is this just a thing where Gmail and Microsoft won't play ball?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Double Punctuation posted:

If they're not already in H.264 or VP8/VP9, you're going to lose quality regardless of what you do.

I'd recommend H.264 Main Profile with AAC-LC audio in an MP4 container, since that's what's going to be hardware-accelerated for sure. YouTube's settings are probably a good starting point for your use as well, but use the Main Profile instead of the High Profile, since Android doesn't support High Profile. You might have to increase the bitrate for the video since it's a worse profile.

Encoding isn't an exact science, and having a whole bunch of videos with obsolete codecs makes things more complicated. Pick some settings, encode a video, and see if it looks good without turning your tablet into a toaster.

The codecs that are good for Android are H.264 Baseline/AAC-LC/MP4 for ancient devices, H.264 Main/AAC-LC/MP4 for somewhat old devices like yours, VP8/Vorbis/Matroska for newer devices, and VP9/Opus/Matroska for devices <1 years old.

:tipshat: I'll experiment using your suggestions -- thanks!

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Trabant posted:

:tipshat: I'll experiment using your suggestions -- thanks!
I use Xmedia Recode for all my conversion needs.
It can take a shitload of formats as input and you just pick a profile as your output format, like Google/Nexus 7, and it will give you the optimal settings.
In the video tab, you can then choose to just copy the video file, if it's already compatible with your device, and only do audio conversion from eg. DTS to AAC-LC.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thank you, I hadn't thought of that one -- I'll add it to the list of things to try.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

syntaxfunction posted:

I have a really basic question. I use Gmail and enjoy the fact that it automatically separates emails into normal, social, updates, etc. I'd like to use the built in Mail app to access these but it seems no email app can handle the "labels" that Gmail uses? Ideally I want to have Mail parse the emails to the correct folders, and set which folders ding and alert me. Like, I want to know when general and updates come in, but I don't care about social updates particularly so I don't want to be told when they come in.

Is there any way to do this? If there's a way I can quick reply in the toast box that'd be even sweeter. Or is this just a thing where Gmail and Microsoft won't play ball?

Sort of.

You'd need to use Outlook (not the built in Mail app) and the functionality is called Categories. However, by default it won't work with IMAP inboxes (the method which you communicate with Gmail) and it won't assign categories automatically unless you set up rules to do so (e.g. mail from a certain sender). It's a lot of mucking around to be honest.

You can apparently enable categories with IMAP mail anyway however I've never tried it. I did find this guide that covers it.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Severing posted:

Sort of.

You'd need to use Outlook (not the built in Mail app) and the functionality is called Categories. However, by default it won't work with IMAP inboxes (the method which you communicate with Gmail) and it won't assign categories automatically unless you set up rules to do so (e.g. mail from a certain sender). It's a lot of mucking around to be honest.

You can apparently enable categories with IMAP mail anyway however I've never tried it. I did find this guide that covers it.

Ah drat. What a gently caress around. I don't even have Outlook anyway. I really wish they'd integrate Gmail features a bit better. Looks like I'm sticking with the webmail side. Thanks though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eternal issue: Games like to create folders in My Documents, I like a tidy My Documents folder. Last I checked the answer was 'your save games will always end up wherever the developer thought was best, live with it'.

Does Windows 10 offer any quick wins for keeping things neat and tidy?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Alchenar posted:

Eternal issue: Games like to create folders in My Documents, I like a tidy My Documents folder. Last I checked the answer was 'your save games will always end up wherever the developer thought was best, live with it'.

This is not something the OS can really fix.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Alchenar posted:

Dont use 'My Documents'. Hope your games have cloud save or something. It sucks.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just set the folder's attributes to hidden :shrug:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm still using a separate data drive which I save my legit documents in and let Windows do whatever it wants with My Documents. Habit from the old "keep OS separate from data since you reformat every 6 months" which carries over since I went to SSD and space was at a premium.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

"My Documents" = "Just leave your poo poo anywhere, fine."

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
"My Documents" or "Documents" as they call it now is an unusable folder that should probably just be marked as hidden by default at this point. Make a new folder somewhere to store your actual documents and add it to your libraries.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've been pointing the Documents library to my D: drive since Windows 7. Music, Videos, Pictures, etc. follow it. It's always worked well enough.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

"My Documents" = "Just leave your poo poo anywhere, fine."
The dir you always forget to back up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget about %AppData%, about 1/3 of the stuff I run stashes irreplaceable stuff in there.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

ufarn posted:

The dir you always forget to back up.

This is why you change "this pc" to "onedrive" in the onedrive settings.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Obviously, your precious screenshots and 50h savegames should be nested four levels in an obscurely named My Documents root folder.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

c0burn posted:

This is why you change "this pc" to "onedrive" in the onedrive settings.

Oh god please don't tell me this is your backup strategy.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What's wrong with that? You're always going to be able to come up with some sort of "back up to 3 off site locations" uber strategy, but even routing to Onedrive to take a drive failure out of the equation is a marked improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

How do I get Windows 10 to stop going to sleep after an extremely short period of inactivity? I just stepped away from my desk for a short phone call, and when I got back like two minutes later my laptop was asleep. I've set the power options to turn the screen off after half an hour and go to sleep after an hour. I've also set the screensaver time to an hour because I read somewhere that that setting also has an effect even if the screensaver is disabled. It just did it again while I was typing this post on my phone. It's driving me loving nuts.