Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

No HAIL SATAN on this page?

You have got to be loving kidding me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

You're a Nightkin now, sorry.

gently caress!

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Did anyone ever make an inventory sorter (not the Sort-o-matic kind, I mean the kind that adds prefixes to item names) that's script-based? The only ones I can find just modify the names of items directly, so they create conflicts with anything else that modifies items, and don't cover items added or restored by other mods.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does wanderers edition have an on off switch for stealth boys like project Nevada does?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Crindee posted:

Did anyone ever make an inventory sorter (not the Sort-o-matic kind, I mean the kind that adds prefixes to item names) that's script-based? The only ones I can find just modify the names of items directly, so they create conflicts with anything else that modifies items, and don't cover items added or restored by other mods.
That's not possible in New Vegas. The keyword system which would allow that was introduced with Skyrim.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Crindee posted:

Thats actually an option in Wrye Bash for NV.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Agents are GO! posted:

Thats actually an option in Wrye Bash for NV.

Oh awesome, I just downloaded Wyre yesterday and haven't had a chance to get too deep into it yet, I'll check it out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
There still aren't any elegant solutions that enable keyboard inputs whilst using a controller, are there? For stuff like adding PN's sprint or extra keybinds on a dualshock4.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rinkles posted:

There still aren't any elegant solutions that enable keyboard inputs whilst using a controller, are there? For stuff like adding PN's sprint or extra keybinds on a dualshock4.

I still use xpadder for stuff like that.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Modding ego strikes again.
Well gently caress. Minor modder drama, but the guy behind Animation Project is being a shithead. He's disabled his old mod and rolled the new version into something called Solid Project with merges Animation Project with Lazarus Project. Trouble is, he's built the mod to work on the beta version of NVSE 5.1 rather than the stable 5.0 version. So when you load up the mod, if you have been using the FO4 Quickloot, SuperHot, or Intimidation mods, you get an error message telling you to install the proper NVSE version, 5.0.

As a response to this, the mod author responds as such:

quote:

"It's a script mistake and it has nothing to do with Solid Project. Ask mod author to fix it if you want to continue using their mods. I will not lower NVSE requirements because of this."
You know there is a reason that most mod authors operate off of the stable release of the script extender to ensure maximum compatibility, right?

Also on the front page of the mod is this lovely bit of information:

quote:

Before downloading and installing the mod I suggest you read the description page. We spent so much time developing this project and we deserve that you as a user took your time to read description thoughtfully. All users who ask questions answers to whose are written in description or my sticked posts will be banned from all my files.

Emphasis mine. This rear end in a top hat not only removed older versions of his mod that run off the stable NVSE release, but he's also threatening to ban people from downloading his mods, and is pretty much telling people who use those other mods mentioned above to go gently caress themselves or whine at the other modders to get on his level. His whole mod page reads like your typical ego stroking, "oh this is my final mod before I retire, all I will do from now on is update this one." kind of bullshit.

Its poo poo like this that makes me glad that Bethesda actually has that clause of "no actually anything you make in our framework we can take at any time", because gently caress, Modders are some oegotistical jackasses. It's either guys intentionally making it hard to get their mods like Dragbody and that bullshit GUNetwork forum, or dickheads like above here who develop an Arthmoor god complex and start getting pissy.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 10, 2017

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

You know there is a reason that most mod authors operate off of the stable release of the script extender to ensure maximum compatibility, right?
Mod author's operate of the version of the script extender that supports the functionality they need. I haven't checked out Solid Project, but if it requires stuff from NVSE 5.1 or later, then that's just the way it is.
And the way the stable and beta labels are used now doesn't tell you much. Originally the beta tag meant that that version of NVSE contained functions that were experimental, may not work correctly and required testing. So you'd go through a couple of beta releases, and then got a stable version that mod authors could use and be sure everything worked right. But now that the NVSE team has moved on for the most part and isn't working on it full time, it stopped having much meaning. I mean, 5.0b3 was the "beta" version for over 2 years and then it got "promoted" to stable a few months ago without any change to it. Despite technically still called "beta" (5.0b3 means 5.0 beta 3).

Compatibility has nothing to do with it. That error message actually is a scripting mistake on the part of Xilandro (dude who made FO4 Quickloot, etc). The correct way to check if the mod user has the correct NVSE build is with a simple check like GetNVSEVersion <= "NVSE build your mod requires". That way it handles the user having a newer version of NVSE correctly.
Presumably Xilandro used == instead of <=. I say, presumably because that shithead stripped the source code for his scripts out his mods' plugins, so you can't fix the mistake yourself. If you want to be mad at anyone, be mad at Xilandro for that ridiculous nonsense.

As for the bolded part: It's a dickish move, but I kind of get it. :shrug: Have you ever released a mod? Trust me, users not bothering to read the readme and then whining at you that poo poo doesn't work gets tiresome fast. That poo poo is the reason I stopped releasing mods.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 10, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still think its a bad move to remove your previous versions of the mod that do play nice with others.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still think its a bad move to remove your previous versions of the mod that do play nice with others.
Personally I'm on the fence on that one. As a mod user I want to have the older versions available, just like you. But on the other hand, users whining for help for an older version of your mod that you don't support, is also something that gets tiresome.

And I still think you're pissed at the wrong dude. As far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with TommInfinite's Solid Project. The fuckup is here is Xilandro. His mods aren't playing nice with newer versions of NVSE then the once he wrote his version check for. And he's apparently some "Mah precious copyright!:byodood:" rear end in a top hat who thinks he's too cool to share source code.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 10, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The old releases don't need to be supported, I'm just saying that until the issues with xilandro's mods are resolved, I'd like to have the option of using an older version. I'm lucky that I still have the old releases of animation project downloaded, but I'd be pretty miffed if I couldn't get them again.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Is there a patch for cco+jsawyer ultimate?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In less me complaining topics, does anyone think that the .esl format that Bethesda is using for fo4 creation club mods could be backported to New Vegas? I'd love to see a lot of simple armor and weapon mods swapped over to that format to open up some more esp files.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Dongicus posted:

Is there a patch for cco+jsawyer ultimate?

I would think so since there's a lot of overlap there. I am using jsawyer ultimate with the cco perk rebalance and that works well together.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
I'm going to get New Vegas for my new gaming computer soon and I'd like to mod the game since I've gotten everything out of vanilla that I wanted. I read the first page and the truly huge amount of mods is daunting for a first timer like myself. I'm looking for basic mods that improve quality of life, make the game run better, and improve the textures/graphics. What are the thread's recommendations?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

A weather mod and and Jsawyer and then maybe an ENB should do you

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
And Project Nevada. Then yeah.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

get nvac.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 12, 2017

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Thanks for the helpful replies! As soon as I get things up and running, I'll be back if I have any more questions!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I;m getting a lot of issues with level geometry. Sometimes the geometry is visible but I fall through the ground and reset, sort of bunnyhopping across an area where the geometry is all hosed up. It only seems to happen when I'm using a texture overhaul mod though, so maybe its memory related? Except I've got a load of memory so it shouldn't be a problem, yet it is.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

SweaterGear posted:

I'm going to get New Vegas for my new gaming computer soon and I'd like to mod the game since I've gotten everything out of vanilla that I wanted. I read the first page and the truly huge amount of mods is daunting for a first timer like myself. I'm looking for basic mods that improve quality of life, make the game run better, and improve the textures/graphics. What are the thread's recommendations?

I was in your exact situation about a month ago and I've been enjoying my turbo revamped F:NV run. I'm running the Nevada Project, 6-7 small mods that restore cut content from the devs (New Vegas Uncut), and one called Willow: A Better Companion Experience. The Willow one has probably been my favorite addition so I'd strongly recommend that one.

That being said I feel like I could stand to add some more, especially any that add new quests, characters, armor, and weapons. Let me know from one new mod user to another if you find anything else cool!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Courier's Stash is a pretty decent small mod. Also, if you just want more areas in the game without the ridiculous levels that A World Of Pain adds, check out A Better New Vegas.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

get the armory and every other mod that adds a million guns

cycling guns is fun

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
And hunt down the Mr New Vegas Secret Stash radio mod... somehow. I recently downloaded the full 80-track working version but I couldn't tell you where from, but it's out there somewhere or it was the last time I downloaded mods a month or two ago.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
FOOK adds weapons, hides them out in the world.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Yeah I'm thinking I might reinstall this again. Recommend all good mods that may not be in the OP or that I'm forgetting. I'm going all in

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Godspeed, friend

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Has anyone managed to get supplementary uniques to work? It seems like an enourmous pain to get working but it seems really neat

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I;m getting a lot of issues with level geometry. Sometimes the geometry is visible but I fall through the ground and reset, sort of bunnyhopping across an area where the geometry is all hosed up. It only seems to happen when I'm using a texture overhaul mod though, so maybe its memory related? Except I've got a load of memory so it shouldn't be a problem, yet it is.

I think I got this the last time I messed with uGridstoLoad. If you've changed that then that's likely your problem.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I may have to do a clean install then. I touched ugridstoload months ago and then reverted them plus a verify game cache but that probably wasn't enough was it?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Are there any UI mods that allow for the instant take/transfer menu as in Fallout 4? I tried doing some New Vegas the other week and the slowness of the interface was really distracting.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

horse mans posted:

Are there any UI mods that allow for the instant take/transfer menu as in Fallout 4? I tried doing some New Vegas the other week and the slowness of the interface was really distracting.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61723/

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

how is that different/better than https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61666

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Doesn't throw an error if you use NVSE 5.1 or later. Supports controller. Has less bugs and the devs are still around and supporting it instead of dealing with real life issues.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
So I'm on my billionth playthrough and I'm really tired of having to hire a specific companion every time I'm about to witness some event that earns me points with them just so I can finish their storylines, has anyone ever made a mod that streamlines that process? I'm sure it's probably doable through the console but that's no fun.

Also unrelated but: this is worth looking through.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Crindee posted:

Also unrelated but: this is worth looking through.

The npc overhauls are absurdly good.

i think they're a bunch of stolen assets from other games, which is funny because gunnetwork is an Arthmoor style 'tism menagerie. i do really want know how to make some of those npcs playable. cuz drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
EDIT: sorry, I'm getting angry over nothing. Had a bad day, I'll take this down. Bitching won't do anything.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 13, 2017