Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Wanna buy a salvage boat? I'd take one for free and repair it. Personal yacht!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
GIP HURRICANE HUNTER KREW WHADDUP

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Renowned bitch Kate Millett died. That article doesn't really get into all of the lovely stuff she did. Such as saying that the lady who tortured Sylbia Likens to death was just teaching her what it was like to be a woman. Or campaigning against sanitariums. If you ever wonder why mental health is so hosed up in the US it's partially the fault of Republicans who don't want to pay for anything, and partially the fauly of far left idiots like Millett who think it's never ok to involuntarily commit someone.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 7, 2017

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Currently waiting for gf to wrap up am drinking at bar

If u haven't got poo poo from me on snap message me and say hi cause there's alot of you

Lurkers :ninja:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Casimir Radon posted:

Renowned bitch Kate Millett died. That article doesn't really get into all of the lovely stuff she did. Such as saying that the lady who tortured Sylbia Likens to death was just teaching her what it was like to be a woman. Or campaigning against sanitariums. If you ever wonder why mental health is so hosed up in the US it's partially the fault of Republicans who don't want to pay for anything, and partially the fauly of far left idiots like Millett who think it's never ok to involuntarily commit someone.

Millet was someone who was involuntarily committed at least three different times, and mental health issues or not, involuntary commitment without any due process is absolute horseshit. It should not ever be legal to confine someone and force feed them lithium without at least some sort of a hearing. This is basic poo poo. Florida's Baker Act, for example, only allows involuntary commitment if you have a diagnosed mental illness and you're an imminent threat to yourself or others (basically either you're going to kill yourself or kill someone else). Even then you can only hold someone for 72 hours. Millett campaigned against indefinitely confinement, which is what she was facing herself.

Our mental health system has never been great in this country, but to put Reagan's shame on the shoulders of people trying to reform is pointing the finger at the wrong party. Millett fought against loony bins being used as dumping points for family malcontents where people were just endlessly drugged and indefinitely confined against their will.

Also you missed the entire point about the Sylvia. She was comparing her situation to the situation of women at large. Yes it was horrific, but was intended to portray that all women were the subject to insane abuses from society as a whole. You do realize that things like spousal rape laws did not exist in the 70s and that in many states it was impossible to even get a divorce. Many women were trapped in abusive homes in the same manner.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 7, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I'm not saying that you're wrong and I'm definitely not a Kate Millett expert, but you're going to have to do a lot better job explaining what she did that was wrong because your initial complaints have no basis if you actually take a look at the context.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

Prop Wash posted:

Yeah, I want to get hired too! I know you guys have navigators, and I'm a C-130 guy which is basically just an upside-down P-3 soooo

USA Jobs would be the way for the civilian side. Which would be FE or any of the tech or mech positions. I think they usually require AMP or whatever that maintenance cert is.

I'm a navigator, which, along with pilots is a NOAA Corps position. I had to interservice transfer from the navy into my position. It was very weird because NOAA Corps is like the asterisk of the uniformed services. We are super small so a spot only opens up every few years for pilot or nav positions. They'll definitely take guys from other services, we just happen to draw from the navy frequently because they have P-3s and we still maintain connections with those communities to get the word out and vet people.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
This sounds extremely illegal to me

https://twitter.com/NBCPhiladelphia/status/905797580277391361

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

President Trump and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer have agreed to pursue a deal that would permanently remove the requirement that Congress repeatedly raise the debt ceiling, three people familiar with the decision said

wapo: Trump, Schumer agree to pursue plan to repeal the debt ceiling - The Washington Post
https://apple.news/A-4D-nFWfQ9iM6NIH_zYWaw

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

School systems in the US operate largely extra judiciously due to a supreme court ruling that basically makes them parents of students during the school day.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wapo: Trump, Schumer agree to pursue plan to repeal the debt ceiling - The Washington Post

Isn't this a net positive?

In theory, not practice or execution.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Isn't this a net positive?

In theory, not practice or execution.

The debt ceiling was used as a budgetary tool until the 70s, and from then until 1995 was completely ignored because it was a useless anachronism at that point. It was always understood to just go up when a budget was passed. It wasn't until republicans started using it in 1995 ultimately leading to multiple government shutdowns that it was even mentioned. It serves no purpose in a modern context outside of a way for congress to grind government to a complete halt.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah, it's a net positive in the end but also really God drat transparent that they're hideous rear end goblins that only ever gave a gently caress about it when they could use it to scream at the black guy. Yes getting rid of it will be good because they can force the loony bin rejects that compose their party to stop putting a gun to the world economy head, but democrats have been asking for an end to exactly that kind of lunacy for loving years.

No brownie points for fixing the problem after years of exploiting it to dick over the other guys and now being afraid of your name being on the consequences more than you are the consequences.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Wonder Free posted:

USA Jobs would be the way for the civilian side. Which would be FE or any of the tech or mech positions. I think they usually require AMP or whatever that maintenance cert is.

I'm a navigator, which, along with pilots is a NOAA Corps position. I had to interservice transfer from the navy into my position. It was very weird because NOAA Corps is like the asterisk of the uniformed services. We are super small so a spot only opens up every few years for pilot or nav positions. They'll definitely take guys from other services, we just happen to draw from the navy frequently because they have P-3s and we still maintain connections with those communities to get the word out and vet people.

Dang. That sounds like it's nearly impossible for me coming off the streets.

Then again, there isn't like a billion prior FE's in the world either.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Betsy DeVos is rolling back Title IX sexual assault guidelines, because reasons.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

shyduck posted:

Betsy DeVos is rolling back Title XI sexual assault guidelines, because reasons.

"Currently colleges better service the victim and not the accused"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I'll loving believe this is exactly what will happen and it's not a case of "If you vote to gut Social Security, we'll stop putting a gun to our own head forever" deal when it happens.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

"Currently colleges better service the victim and not the accused"

Colleges have a bad problem with the accused winning lawsuits against them under the same title because when random public college administrators play pretend police detective or prosecutor they're really terrible at it.

One of those "wait how did you possibly find a way to make things worse" situations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shyduck posted:

Betsy DeVos is rolling back Title IX sexual assault guidelines, because reasons.

Despite outward appearances, this is actually probably a good thing. This article details why:

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/09/the-uncomfortable-truth-about-campus-rape-policy/538974/

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Snip

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
All this means is more people like Ken Starr are going to be able to systematically cover up rape and other abuses at their schools. The problem of a few schools overreacting to handling rape and sexual assault is not to roll back protections and guidelines in place.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

All this means is more people like Ken Starr are going to be able to systematically cover up rape and other abuses at their schools. The problem of a few schools overreacting to handling rape and sexual assault is not to roll back protections and guidelines in place.

No, it means that schools have to have more than a preponderance of evidence before they go ruining people's lives based upon hearsay and force them to provide due process for the accused.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
You're both probably right tbh

People are lovely and will continue to be lovely.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Waroduce posted:

Currently waiting for gf to wrap up am drinking at bar

If u haven't got poo poo from me on snap message me and say hi cause there's alot of you

Lurkers :ninja:

What's your name on Snapchat?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

psydude posted:

No, it means that schools have to have more than a preponderance of evidence before they go ruining people's lives based upon hearsay and force them to provide due process for the accused.

:lol: if you seriously think that anything like that is going to happen. That article you posted is full of outliers (that will reach eventual resolution in courts) while systematic poo poo like baylor has been going on for decades. The solution to fix the problem you're presenting isn't to scrap the whole system. You just issue guidance to change the evidentiary standard. That isn't what is happening here.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not saying that you're wrong and I'm definitely not a Kate Millett expert, but you're going to have to do a lot better job explaining what she did that was wrong because your initial complaints have no basis if you actually take a look at the context.

Yeah, that post is in the " presumptively MRA foamer" box without more.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also any guy whose life is "ruined" by rape accusations was probably acting in a rapey way even if they don't realize it. Yes, there is a rare case of false accusation, but that is by and far a statistical outlier and policy should never be governed by the outliers. There are so many legitimate assaults that go unreported because of the immense pressure and backlash to not "ruin someone's life." Women you personally know have been sexually assaulted and will probably never tell you or anyone else about it.

I'm not saying that Obama implementation was perfect. I agree that the evidentiary standard should probably be higher than preponderance before sanctions are put in place. The title IX guidelines, though, covered a whole hell of a lot more than that and were an attempt to curtail massive problems at campuses across the nation.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
youve got schools actively serving up their female students as an all you can rape buffet but lol the problem is the accused getting a bad name

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Maybe a university administration was not designed and does not have the training and systems in place to fully investigate and then pass judgement on what can be complex encounters between two or more people who most likely have just left home and are living on their own for the first time. Furthermore maybe an institution investigating itself or one of the programs that draws a large amount of money to the school for misconduct might not be the best way to move forward.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also any guy whose life is "ruined" by rape accusations was probably acting in a rapey way even if they don't realize it.

So they were asking for it, basically.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also any guy whose life is "ruined" by rape accusations was probably acting in a rapey way even if they don't realize it. Yes, there is a rare case of false accusation, but that is by and far a statistical outlier and policy should never be governed by the outliers. There are so many legitimate assaults that go unreported because of the immense pressure and backlash to not "ruin someone's life." Women you personally know have been sexually assaulted and will probably never tell you or anyone else about it.

Hey that's a great blanket statement and all, but it doesn't mean we deny people due process. You can provide protections for victims without also trampling on the rights of the accused.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

lightpole posted:

Maybe a university administration was not designed and does not have the training and systems in place to fully investigate and then pass judgement on what can be complex encounters between two or more people who most likely have just left home and are living on their own for the first time. Furthermore maybe an institution investigating itself or one of the programs that draws a large amount of money to the school for misconduct might not be the best way to move forward.

:ssh: that's what the guidance that was rescinded was supposed to facilitate. It provided details on how to handle and conduct investigations and included training material and FAQs.

psydude posted:

Hey that's a great blanket statement and all, but it doesn't mean we deny people due process. You can provide protections for victims without also trampling on the rights of the accused.

I agree we shouldn't deny people due process. This is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, though.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I received a lot of training materials and faqs on suicide prevention but I sure as gently caress wouldn't want me within 100 miles of someone's suicidal ideations because I only half rear end paid attention and did the bare minimum.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

:ssh: that's what the guidance that was rescinded was supposed to facilitate. It provided details on how to handle and conduct investigations and included training material and FAQs.

Except it really didn't provide much guidance at all:

quote:

The letter defined sexual violence requiring university investigation broadly to include “rape, sexual assault, sexual battery, and sexual coercion,” with no definitions provided. It also characterized sexually harassing behavior as “any unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature,” including remarks. Schools were told to investigate any reports of possible sexual misconduct, including those that came from a third party and those in which the alleged victim refused to cooperate. (Paradoxically, they were also told to defer to alleged victims’ wishes, creating no small amount of confusion among administrators.)

. . .

OCR guidance emphasizes the difference between a Title IX investigation and a criminal case, noting that the former “will never result in incarceration,” thus “the same procedural protections and legal standards are not required.” And the preponderance-of-evidence standard is held to be appropriate by the Supreme Court in civil litigation involving discrimination. But the Court has also ruled that the clear-and-convincing standard is appropriate for those civil proceedings where “particularly important individual interests or rights are at stake.”

The whole thing probably shouldn't be thrown out (especially the support for victims), but it needs some serious reworking when it comes to guidance for investigations.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 7, 2017

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

I received a lot of training materials and faqs on suicide prevention but I sure as gently caress wouldn't want me within 100 miles of someone's suicidal ideations because I only half rear end paid attention and did the bare minimum.

This is the part I am a little uncomfortable with. I have training in numerous situations but very little experience. The outliers or poorly handled cases appear to be due to a lack of experience, poor training, poor procedure etc throughout the system.

It was still an effort in the right direction.

I just had to do a ~90 minute online course on sexual harassmen/assault before grad school so that's changed at least in the last ten years.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Due process is good, even for troublesome people who may have mental health issues and people accused of particularly horrible and difficult to prove crimes.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I guess the part that irks me is that it's structurally similar to the military's ineffectual sexual assault prevention system. They're forcing wholly unqualified people to perform investigations into criminal matters.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..

cowboy elvis posted:

Dang. That sounds like it's nearly impossible for me coming off the streets.

Then again, there isn't like a billion prior FE's in the world either.

The last ones we have hired have been ground pounders that were former FEs. They did crew chief stuff for awhile and then when a spot opened up they wound up getting brought on to fly. Really more out of desperation than anything else - we are very small and only run two P3 crews, so we are only billeted for 4 FEs. A lot of them are older and already retired from the navy many years before, so if they run into issues with their FAA medical stuff, we have to scramble or fly short staffed. We are using a contractor from Wiley? Or whoever it is that supplies FEs to det Dallas for this storm series. I'll put the word out if they are looking again, someone is always in medical limbo these days it seems.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

psydude posted:

Except it really didn't provide much guidance at all:

The whole thing probably shouldn't be thrown out (especially the support for victims), but it needs some serious reworking when it comes to guidance for investigations.

That's the letter in the article you're talking about. The guidance that DeVos is tossing is a 53 page document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Like there's been a lot of expansion on the DCL from 2011. There is a wealth of poo poo available to schools from the department of education right now regarding guidance, training, etc.

That's what she's getting rid of.

• Locked thread