Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Mahoning posted:

Nah man, McNulty and Bunk go to an Orioles game with his kid and see his ex-wife sitting behind home plate with her new boyfriend. I think there's another Orioles game maybe in the season about the school district? Could be wrong about that one.

Either way, I completely agree. It is one of the greatest shows of all time, but holy hell with how much more attention it gets, it is not that much better than like, the Sopranos or Breaking Bad. People talked about the Sopranos a lot when it was on, and nobody talked about the Wire when it was on. Now nobody talks about the Sopranos anymore and everybody talks about the Wire.

Speaking of which, not sports related but the Wire and Sopranos related: Sean O'Neal at The A.V. Club had a great article on Monday about HBO dramas in the aftermath of 9/11

The Sopranos holds up a lot less well on rewatch. There have been more great TV shows in a similar mold since so it doesn't stand it the way it did when it started, and there are a LOT of just outright bad episodes. I tried to go through it not that long ago and stopped in like season 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea I did the same, though I made it through the entire thing. There are so many boring episodes and the Kevin Finnerty poo poo is even worse than I remembered. It did uphold by belief that Furio owns though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They probably should've ended the show when Livia's actress passed away, she was the one holding it all together and it feels like they had no ideas left when the character just died with no closure.

But Furio does indeed own.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MourningView posted:

The Sopranos holds up a lot less well on rewatch. There have been more great TV shows in a similar mold since so it doesn't stand it the way it did when it started, and there are a LOT of just outright bad episodes. I tried to go through it not that long ago and stopped in like season 3
This is a big problem with the Golden Age of Television - a full run of a shows means ending up with 60-100 hours of material to process, all of which was produced under deadline by multiple writers, which means a LOT of filler. It's OK when you're absorbing it in weekly one-hour doses and wondering how it will all end, but once the show is over and you try to bingewatch it, man the amount of dead time is just undeniable. Mad Men was a great story, but was it really a story that needed 93 hours to tell?

Another big problem is the pacing. When a show starts, the showrunner has no idea how long it's going to run, at any moment he could be told that this is the final season and suddenly have to cut short all his long-game plot points and wrap them up. Or worse, that the show is a hit and is going to run seven seasons and now he has to stretch (or less charitably, dilute) the show's original vision to cover the extended time. Either way, the whole thing ends up feeling really disjoint when you sit down and watch it all at once.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
There was an episode of Homicide filmed during an Orioles game. Scott Erickson and Armando Benitez were guest stars. Another time, Kellerman's drunk brothers broke into the Babe Ruth museum.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i firmly believe all hatred of anyone involved with that hour is 100% racism

like not even bringing back hank williams jr is gonna shut them up

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Vertical Lime posted:

i firmly believe all hatred of anyone involved with that hour is 100% racism

like not even bringing back hank williams jr is gonna shut them up

I like Michael and Jemele but that show thinks it's way funnier and much more clever than it actually is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

sportsgenius86 posted:

I like Michael and Jemele but that show thinks it's way funnier and much more clever than it actually is.

Same, but I have basically zero patience for any TV talking-head stuff

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I like that show, anytime it happens to be on I enjoy it. I just don't watch ESPN much anymore.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of it. I liked their old show because everything felt natural. Maybe because there was no pressure. The new show just feels forced.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

Yeah I'm not a fan of it. I liked their old show because everything felt natural. Maybe because there was no pressure. The new show just feels forced.

Exactly. His and Hers was great because it was conversational and it felt like they were just hanging out. They're trying way too hard to be entertaining on The Six, but I put that more on the producers than them.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/NewYorker/status/908065334334287876

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Mahoning posted:

Nah man, McNulty and Bunk go to an Orioles game with his kid and see his ex-wife sitting behind home plate with her new boyfriend. I think there's another Orioles game maybe in the season about the school district? Could be wrong about that one.

One of the journalists in season 5 is sent to Orioles opening day and makes up a story about a disabled kid trying to score tickets, which might be what you mean

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I didn't know Mitch Albom was in The Wire.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jesus christ :laffo:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

One of the journalists in season 5 is sent to Orioles opening day and makes up a story about a disabled kid trying to score tickets, which might be what you mean

Yes! Thank you, I knew there was something about Opening Day.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

howe_sam posted:

I didn't know Mitch Albom was in The Wire.

Hahaha goddamn

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I thought we had a society had agreed to never discuss season 5 of the wire again.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So judging by the continuing "controversy" that's been unfolding ESPN really hosed the pooch on the whole Jemelle Hill thing. I wonder if she feels like she can stay an ESPN employee given that she's publicly received zero support from them.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if there's one thing espn proved it's that it should continually kowtow to the insane people who are constantly talking about its LIBERAL BIAS and yelling about boycotting it instead of the much larger number of normal people who tune in to watch sports games

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

if there's one thing espn proved it's that it should continually kowtow to the insane people who are constantly talking about its LIBERAL BIAS and yelling about boycotting it instead of the much larger number of normal people who tune in to watch sports games
ESPN has a long history of basically bending its knees to anyone will complain loudly enough about it, right or wrong.

And if you'll remember Max Bretos, who has a Chinese wife and thus half-Chinese kids, getting suspended for a month for saying that Jeremy Lin had a "chink in his armor", sometimes nobody even has to complain.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 14, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN has a long history of basically bending its knees to anyone will complain loudly enough about it, right or wrong.

And if you'll remember Max Bretos, who has a Chinese wife and thus half-Chinese kids, getting suspended for a month for saying that Jeremy Lin had a "chink in his armor", sometimes nobody even has to complain.

Didn't ESPN refuse to let Simmons interview Obama?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Yes I think so

Marc Maron got the pod iirc

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

IIRC the network refused to let Simmons interview Obama while he was running for President in 2008, but he did get to interview him for Grantland a few years later. That might have been a case of ESPN deciding that they didn't want one candidate getting interview time ahead of the others.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Simmons wanted to do the interview during primary season and ESPN thought it was too early to give air time to candidates, though I dimly recall that after Obama got the nomination ESPN let Rick Reilly interview him, which really chapped Bill's rear end.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Simmons wanted to do the interview during primary season and ESPN thought it was too early to give air time to candidates, though I dimly recall that after Obama got the nomination ESPN let Rick Reilly interview him, which really chapped Bill's rear end.
Yeah that drove Bill nuts. For a long time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

to be fair, if i lost an interview to rick reilly i'd also grind my teeth, it would certainly be hard to chew on

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah that drove Bill nuts. For a long time.
You could pretty much trace the start of Simmons/ESPN schism to that incident.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

So judging by the continuing "controversy" that's been unfolding ESPN really hosed the pooch on the whole Jemelle Hill thing. I wonder if she feels like she can stay an ESPN employee given that she's publicly received zero support from them.

I don't agree with how they've handled it but I also don't think they need to be publicly supporting an employee who says that regardless of the accuracy of it.

If you wanna say "hey, she did that on her own time, that's her thing" then fine. But "we support Jemele in this situation" is probably too much IMO.

The absolute best thing they could have done is just let it roll however it rolls since it wasn't said during a network thing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/908173152370520064

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tangential, I remember whenever I worked at the college radio station, any and all "sensitive" (read: where opinions came into play) topics got the disclaimer in front (the long and short of it: "The following views and opinions are not necessarily the views and opinions of the school, board of regents, and the station itself"), including the sports show.

Except once which, go figure, was a pre-recorded show regarding the recent bigoted graffiti on campus and explicitly saying it wasn't going to be tolerated.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

to be fair, if i lost an interview to rick reilly i'd also grind my teeth, it would certainly be hard to chew on
😁😁😁

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Crazy Ted posted:

Man I forgot they actually printed that, Jesus Max and his editor should have been suspended.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Charles Pierce Status: :vince:

https://twitter.com/SeanFennessey/status/908198367326437376

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Charles Pierce literally owns at everything and I dread the day he is no longer with us

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/chris_cwik/status/908213605190877184

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Honest question because I can't remember: why did curt schilling get fired? Was any reasoning ever given by ESPN? I mean I know it was because he's a piece of poo poo and made bigoted Facebook posts or whatever, but I don't know if ESPN ever gave formal acknowledgement about it. I'm sure the situation is already being compared by twitter users with stoner frog avatars.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So It Goes posted:

Honest question because I can't remember: why did curt schilling get fired? Was any reasoning ever given by ESPN? I mean I know it was because he's a piece of poo poo and made bigoted Facebook posts or whatever, but I don't know if ESPN ever gave formal acknowledgement about it. I'm sure the situation is already being compared by twitter users with stoner frog avatars.

It was never really just one specific event, they just got fed up with all the flak he was bringing upon them over and over.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He kept posting blatantly racist poo poo after being told not to. They gave him way more chances than he deserved too. And yes in the minds of dumb racist rear end in a top hat being racist and calling a person racist are the exact same thing so this is a terrible double standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I think the final straw on Schilling was something about transgender people and bathrooms, but yeah, it came after hundreds of other lovely things.