Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've made a huge mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Nah. "I'm going to fix this" is the huge mistake. Those look so loving cool.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I rode it home without issues tho. That motor is a peach. It starts getting fun where the Uly is on the rev limiter and it's like a nice flat wall of torque.

I'm done with touring for a while so this will basically be a fun little overkill downtown coffee shop or weekend bike. It's so much nicer looking with the cases off and that sssa wheel up on the bright side.

The only big issue people seem have with them is that king bearing price and availability, so I think I might just suck it up and buy a spare to have around while I still can.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I give it three months before that bike starts doing everything the uly used to do and the uly goes on craigslist.

I'm being optimistic and hoping you'll convert to rationality though.

And only with you does an ageing italian bike represent a step toward sensibleness.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The Uly is already gone, well, one is. We swapped bikes+titles without money. Friend of mine said "I think you both got ripped off"

I'm craving something different and the Futura, for better or worse, has been a bucket bike for me for a while. Can check it off and say I did it.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 14, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The other guy definitely got ripped off more. At least the futura is good looking and fast.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
This is good. This is healthy. I think you are making good choices for yourself.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Holy fuuuuuck that bike looks amazing dude! Sold the Fz today so I'm bikeless for the near future

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

pokie posted:

Once I go through three sprag clutches, I am lemon law-ing mine. It's a fun bike to ride, but I don't want to deal with this... That said there are 2(two!) MV dealers in SF Bay Area, so finding parts hasn't been a problem yet.

Are sprag clutches just a consumable or is there something that Italians and Austrians don't understand about designing them? My KTM had perpetual sprag issues, fortunately I could at least kickstart it. But, when I started searching on how to fix it, the only other people I found who had problems were KTM, Ducati, and MV owners.

Is it an issue of large single and 2 cyl engines where high compression causes more wear on the starter sprag?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They do, but it's not an actual problem unless the engineer is italian or austrian.

KTM's wear them out because they build everything to sit right on the ragged edge of the reliability/lightness/performance matrix.

Ducati and MV are just italian.

FWIW triumph had the same problem and they fixed it by making a different primary drive gear with a much larger and stronger clutch which I'm sure MV could do as well if they weren't too busy sipping expensive coffee out of tiny cups and shrugging eloquently.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Old Aprilias are cool and good, nice work on the Futura.

I'm still slightlly confused as to why the Falco is considered the sport tourer vs this when it has clipons but whatever, it's apparently not terrible for comfort. I had considered one when I was looking for Tuonos but there werent any on CL

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That Futura is fuckin' :cool:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

clutchpuck posted:

I rode it home without issues tho. That motor is a peach. It starts getting fun where the Uly is on the rev limiter and it's like a nice flat wall of torque.

I'm done with touring for a while so this will basically be a fun little overkill downtown coffee shop or weekend bike. It's so much nicer looking with the cases off and that sssa wheel up on the bright side.

The only big issue people seem have with them is that king bearing price and availability, so I think I might just suck it up and buy a spare to have around while I still can.

Are they that common of a failure?

Gonna be weird to finally own a good bike.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Holy fuuuuuck that bike looks amazing dude! Sold the Fz today so I'm bikeless for the near future

there's a grey one for sale on the ol' ADVRider boards back in TN if you're moving back that way in the near future (can't remember if it's in Chatanooga or Knoxville)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

There's one in Nashville that I saw. Have to figure out what I want to do with my life first.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

The other guy definitely got ripped off more. At least the futura is good looking and fast.

I dunno, it only makes 10 more horsepower and weighs 40 lbs more than the Uly. But it sure is more exciting being 3 feet closer to the pavement

e. Slipper cutch. What? I can just bang down gears and not worry about the rear wheel skipping down the road? That Rotax has a nice gearbox.

Also: Having a center stand is good and right, and the sssa eccentric axle chain tension adjustment is like a 10 minute job if you include washing your hands.

Looking at this picture has me thinking "where's the hugger". I doubt this bike is very waterproof

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 15, 2017

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MetaJew posted:

Are sprag clutches just a consumable or is there something that Italians and Austrians don't understand about designing them?
I've seen a few Japanese bikes with them gone out. Mostly Nighthawk 750s, where the sprag is in the middle of the crank I believe, so you have to totally dismantle the motor to fix it. A starter sprag going out wouldn't necessarily be a big deal but some of them are in totally inaccessible places like that.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

clutchpuck posted:

The Uly is already gone, well, one is. We swapped bikes+titles without money. Friend of mine said "I think you both got ripped off"

Best quote. Congrats on the rad new toy.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

I've been ordering all the stuff for my Guzzi off AF1 and they have been pretty good to deal with:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=59

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
Got my first bike, and attended my first group meetup. CB300F

I added the hi-viz wheel tape, and you can tell it's not a pro job, but whatever. Also frame sliders, which thankfully haven't been put to the test...yet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
That's great, I really like the little CBs.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I probably could have died riding it home if I was a little less lucky...

PO: "FUEL, THAT'S PROBABLY NOT FLAMMABE"

Some shoddy fuel line repair going on with some worm clamps.

,,|,, ,,|,,

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

ITS THEM!!!!

The same fuel line disconnectors that broke in my MV

but yours are at least partially metal it seems. God even the look of these things brings back nightmares

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The irony is if he'd just gone that little bit further and disconnected the stumpy hose from the throttlebody, he could've run a line all the way through.

Or is the fuel pump end also a funny connector?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Turns out that's the return line. I am hoping that tomorrow after I replace the line and clamps and eliminate leaks, the dried out relays below will let it start again.

That short line to a 90deg *plastic* QD fitting is factory config.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wait, did you actually trade a working Buell straight up for a broken Aprilia? (Ignoring the fact that the Buell is fundamentally broken)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Are there Aprilias that aren't broken?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

clutchpuck posted:

Don't jinx me you fucker.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

Mate's got one, gets ridden like a race bike every week. But he services it every 3000km. 2016 Tuono V4 1100 Factory, hasn't missed a beat.

Other mates, not so lucky. 2012 Tuono V4R 1000, lunched the engine tootling along at 110km/h out the back of burke, dropped an exhaust valve and it all went pear shaped. Just got it back on the road after 10 months. Another with an 2014 RSV4, exhaust valve seats sunk into the head, causing all sorts of issues. Didn't break down but cost a mint to get the head fixed. Both serviced according to schedule, both ridden a lot easier than the 1100.

Luck 'o the draw I guess.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

clutchpuck posted:

I had an SR50 di tech which (surprisingly) lasted the 3 years until I could make a proper license without eating through more spare parts than 2 spark plugs...which is fine for direct injection 2 stroke I guess.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I buy cheap wix filters for my SV at my local Oreilly. Wal mart used to have them but apparently doesn't anymore. SV's and by extension, vstroms have commonly available automotive filters everywhere. Not sure where you're getting your info.

My Bandit also had an automotive filter. It crossed with a ton of Mazda engines (iirc), so if you were at a place that had a Miata filter, you had your Bandit filter.

I'm getting my info from physically going to the Autozone, Advance Auto, Napa, O'reilly's, and Walmart within a ~2 mile radius of where I live, and having none of them having a drat thing in stock for Suzuki filters. And this is in a large city/metro area with over two million people (Portland metro is about the size of the Pittsburgh metro area, for y'alls east-coasters), not some middle-of-nowheresville in North Dakota or something. This is a city with the top Ducati and Triumph dealers in the country, and I have my choice of at least 3 Suzuki dealers, so we got plenty of bikes here, but I would have to drive about an hour round trip to get to one of the Suzuki dealers to actually buy a filter for my gen 1 SV 650 from a brick and mortar store; and they want to charge me $12 for one. I opted for the $15 adaptor that lets me literally walk to the end of my block to the Autozone and buy a good quality filter for $6 instead. That is where I got my information from. It's also galling as hell because I could get filters for my FZ-1, as well as the FZR600 I held onto for a month for a friend from the same Autozone, but that's because they both sensibly used the same 20x1.5mm threading that sensible manufacturers spec out for their bikes these days.

That Cal-Sci site I linked has a cross reference for a shitton of bikes, modern and old, showing exactly which filters fit which ( https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html ), and you'll notice in that list, the only manufacturers that use 20x1mm threading on their filters are Suzuki, Aprilia (for like, two models, because Italy) and Arctic Cat snowmobiles. Most other modern bikes from Japanese makers (and Triumph, because they are trying to be sensible and not so British anymore) use 20x1.5mm threads. Of course Ducati, Moto Guzzi (Italy again being Italian), KTM, BMW, Harley, and Indian etc, have to be ~different~ for ~reasons~, and of course old Japanese bikes from the 80's or earlier often use some oddball poo poo (I had to pay a grip for an adapter to allow my GL-1000 to use modern filters because the original 1970's era cartridge filters with no anti-drainback valve are garbage and only available by mail order anymore), but by and large, most of the non-Italian metric bikes sold new these days use the same filter threading making them mostly interchangeable.

And no, your Bandit did not use a Miata filter. Miatas use the 20x1.5mm filter that sensible people use. GSF's were the same idiot 20x1mm threads as most Suzukis.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok.

I just use this: http://www.svrider.com/tips/oilfilters.htm

My Oreillys has the wix in stock.

Maybe I'm misremembering on the Miata thing for the Bandit, but it's in the same boat, namely regular rear end filters can fit: http://forums.banditalley.net/suzuki-bandit-600-650-750-1200-faq/oil-filters/

Sorry you had bad luck in Portland I guess, maybe MKE is the epicenter of weird filters :iiam:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yup just use automotive cross reference filters. There's a whole list for my Buell; I go with the Bosch that's always in stock.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

Yup just use automotive cross reference filters. There's a whole list for my Buell; I go with the Bosch that's always in stock.

Yeah, Harley engines just use the 3/4 threading that was a common filter size/threading on domestic car engines before they all went metric. Every auto store in the US carries them.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ok.

I just use this: http://www.svrider.com/tips/oilfilters.htm

My Oreillys has the wix in stock.

Maybe I'm misremembering on the Miata thing for the Bandit, but it's in the same boat, namely regular rear end filters can fit: http://forums.banditalley.net/suzuki-bandit-600-650-750-1200-faq/oil-filters/

Yeah, all the filters listed on that site are the wacky rear end Suzuki specific filters, identical list to the site I linked. They are 'available' at stores, but way far from 'regular rear end' because Suzukis are the only common thing that uses them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ok.

I can pick the filters up literally minutes from my house. I guess that makes them regular enough to me without sperging about thread pitch.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yeah, Harley engines just use the 3/4 threading that was a common filter size/threading on domestic car engines before they all went metric. Every auto store in the US carries them.

Yeah, all the filters listed on that site are the wacky rear end Suzuki specific filters, identical list to the site I linked. They are 'available' at stores, but way far from 'regular rear end' because Suzukis are the only common thing that uses them.

My Yamaha used a Mobil 1 filter from AutoZone so it ain't just Harleys

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

To hell with the speed sensor I broke while reinstalling the front wheel, I went riding and these feel nice.

I need to redo the duct tape.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Bruh. Ziptie stitches.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

To hell with the speed sensor I broke while reinstalling the front wheel, I went riding and these feel nice.

I need to redo the duct tape.

People have given me poo poo for running PR4s on my 701 but they're good enough to drag peg :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

High Protein posted:

People have given me poo poo for running PR4s on my 701 but they're good enough to drag peg :smug:

Why would they give you poo poo? Being able to run PR3 on my 690 was a major selling feature. It's all I run and it's a fantastic tire. I've never wanted for more grip, in wet or dry, and they last over 9000 miles of hooning and highway.