Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

My Yamaha used a [...] filter from AutoZone

:same:

Which is why it was a big irk to discover I could not do the same with my current bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

M42 posted:

Bruh. Ziptie stitches.

:doh: oh my god I never even considered it. That would look AWESOME. I need to do this.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 19, 2017

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Here is a photo of my Triumph T120 Black in front of the TCM house outside of Austin.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Like I'm gonna use blue tape for my red bike

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

captainOrbital posted:

Shoulda gone with yellow for that Ronald McDonald effect

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

captainOrbital posted:

Alternatively...

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Well now im going to look for a red helmet, you could do it with any color but the red just seems the most lego.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

shut up about oil filters.

Valves were all within spec, so that's good. Valve covers went back on no problem, and it's gonna sit like this until my next two days off to pull the exhaust and clean it and the radiator, and hopefully plug both oil leaks.

One of the bolts holding the valve cover grips, but doesn't tighten all the way though. So I have that to look forward to. It ran normal before sooo... the adult in me is telling me to fix it now.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

MetaJew posted:

Alternatively...

Hmmmm, my bike is red.....I think this might be a good look for me.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I have a LEGO visor on my old (black) helmet but I never wear it because it's old. Kids loved the hell out of it tho.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Decided to take a detour today, the mud was a lot deeper than I thought, had to do the paddle of shame to get out.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

paddle of shame
Th' wut?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

Th' wut?

That thing squids do when they take off from a stop for 100 meters +, except in his case he's actually pushing the moto along in mud.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Ah. So waddling the bike forward.

Only done that at the very beginning of my MSF class, so wasn't sure.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I got freaked out 'cause of a big rut, and slowed down so much that I got stuck, then I had to spend about 2 minutes wading through the mud while the rear wheel creeped along.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A slightly more humiliating but efficient method is to walk alongside while riding the clutch.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I wouldn't have been able to walk through the mud, it was that sloppy.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

W-F-O all the way through.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Another even more efficient method is to avoid hitting actual mud on a 150kg bike with 50/50's but you gotta learn somehow.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pussy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
[quote="“Revvik”" post="“476600419”"]

shut up about oil filters.

Valves were all within spec, so that’s good. Valve covers went back on no problem, and it’s gonna sit like this until my next two days off to pull the exhaust and clean it and the radiator, and hopefully plug both oil leaks.

One of the bolts holding the valve cover grips, but doesn’t tighten all the way though. So I have that to look forward to. It ran normal before sooo... the adult in me is telling me to fix it now.
[/quote]

Timesert that poo poo. Pull the cam cap to do it right. Helicoil and a rag blocking shavings from getting in the engine and grease on the tap tool will get the job done too though.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah I have a new bolt ordered and I plan on spending some time either today or tomorrow just doing it right so I don't reassemble it and have compression issues. I have time before some more maintenance items show up on my doorstep anyways, and I still need to pull the exhaust to detail clean all the grime off of it.

poo poo, I'll probably be in the garage working on three different vehicles over the next two days. The SMT needs to be refilled, I have some vibrated-off bolts to Loctite and replace on the DRZ plus a fender eliminator coming and some more work on the GS500 wheels to wrap up before I can get them to a machine shop, and the Scion xB I just swapped for has idle issues and a trunk to tidy up.

Except for the compressor and air tank, this has been completely ripped out.

Most of these wires didn't really go anywhere, either. I spent last night doing surgery under the dash, took everything completely apart and back together with surprisingly few blown fuses and no broken pieces. Remanned idle control valve should be here Tuesday to take care of the poo poo job it does idling properly.

And I have engagement photos and a Rise Against concert Tuesday.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

The one thing that makes me wonder if I REALLY need ABS on my next bike.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Every time I see one of those I second guess my decision to go with the 1250 bandit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dutymode posted:

You really don't.

Carth Dookie posted:

Every time I see one of those I second guess my decision to go with the 1250 bandit.

Compared to a 1250 they're worse in most ways but better in the only two things that matter: suspension and charisma.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Dutymode posted:

the answer is no. first ride of the tuono taught me that :getin:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Front cylinder. *\~KTM~\*

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Another even more efficient method is to avoid hitting actual mud on a 150kg bike with 50/50's but you gotta learn somehow.

I'm more of a trial by fire type of person, not afraid to try something that might be a little tricky but I don't feel that I have to buy a true enduro or MX bike to get myself muddy, maybe I will if I fall in love with dirt riding.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Revvik posted:

Front cylinder. *\~KTM~\*

I'm assuming that's the throttle body? Is it leaking or is there an oil leak up there that's causing that crap to accumulate? It's hard to tell at first glance if there's something obviously broken because everything is covered in sludge.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeop. I got the head sorted and the frame cleaned, but I'm going to run out and get some real degreaser for that mess.

I went to resolve the oil leak in the drain pan plug and change my oil. Hahaha, nah, I should have known that wasn't happening. Drain pan plug isn't coming off, just spinning in place.

For now though, it's back together. Valve checks are complete and everything was within spec.

I had a panic moment when I first started it up and it kept missing on throttle and then THE ENTIRE ENGINE started seeping smoke. Gave it a moment to cool off and sprayed off the rest of the dish soap I used to clean the frame, let some gas work its way into the engine, and tried again. Runs like it should.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

READY TO RACE TO THE DEALERSHIPS SERVICE BAY™

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm more of a trial by fire type of person, not afraid to try something that might be a little tricky but I don't feel that I have to buy a true enduro or MX bike to get myself muddy, maybe I will if I fall in love with dirt riding.

Please be careful. I had a G650X (BMW's brief answer to the 690 enduro) and now I have a Beta 390. I assume my next step is an xtrainer or freeride and eventually I'll just be hiking, barefoot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Watch out. You'll be like 'hey this dirt stuff is alright, maybe I need a second set of rims with actual knobs or something...?' and a few months later you'll be getting high snorting magura clutch fluid off the seat of a two stroke gas-gas figuring out how to pawn all your clothes for a rekluse.

builds character posted:

Please be careful. I had a G650X (BMW's brief answer to the 690 enduro) and now I have a Beta 390. I assume my next step is an xtrainer or freeride and eventually I'll just be hiking, barefoot.

Hey how do you like that beta? I have a mate who sells them and runs the demo 350 as his trail beater. It's annihilated the clutch basket fingers 50 hours in and shat out a fuel pump but he reckons the suspension is amazingly good, better than a contemporary KTM 350.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

Watch out. You'll be like 'hey this dirt stuff is alright, maybe I need a second set of rims with actual knobs or something...?' and a few months later you'll be getting high snorting magura clutch fluid off the seat of a two stroke gas-gas figuring out how to pawn all your clothes for a rekluse.

Hey how do you like that beta? I have a mate who sells them and runs the demo 350 as his trail beater. It's annihilated the clutch basket fingers 50 hours in and shat out a fuel pump but he reckons the suspension is amazingly good, better than a contemporary KTM 350.

It's great, but I have the last year of the carbed model so I can't speak to the EFI versions. I think, honestly, the ktm/husky is better if you're a very good racer as it's a little more flickable (based on riding a 350 husky and 500 ktm)and a little lighter but for anyone who's not very good and racing, the betas are better (and that includes all the guys who think they're really good racers and aren't). It's just incredibly planted and the power delivery is so smooth. I prefer the 390 to the 350 because it lugs a bit more and has a bit more grunt.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

M42 posted:

Bruh. Ziptie stitches.

:c00l: This was actually kinda fun. I went over all the seams with the gel superglue Loctite makes before cinching everything down. After a quick handwash with acetone while the goo-gone went to work...

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

My plan is to get my wife to let me buy her and my daughter dirt bikes for family outings.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My plan is to get my wife to let me buy her and my daughter dirt bikes for family outings.

1. :hellyeah:
2.How old is your kid?

tjones
May 13, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWNtzCAbsVY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Beach Bum posted:

:c00l: This was actually kinda fun. I went over all the seams with the gel superglue Loctite makes before cinching everything down. After a quick handwash with acetone while the goo-gone went to work...

Nice! Protip: drill a hole at the terminus of each crack. It will stop it from spreading.