Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Good god drat, some donors somewhere must have GOP balls mounted in a vice on their desk right next to the phone they're calling them on every day. This bill is legislative murder, and I am in no way joking with that statement. If it makes it to law things are going to get loving ugly. People will die in abject poverty in a direct a -> b way that can be traced to the bill.

Best outcome is this thing getting coat-hangered before seeing the light of day. Next best outcome is the people that end up with terminal conditions, no future, and no hope knowing where this poo poo came from to properly target their anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...v-a7956581.html

Spanish police storm Catalan government buildings to stop independence referendum

If it didn't have popular support before hand its going to now.

The optics of using the Civil Guard are bad because it was basically the tool Franco used to quash dissidents.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...v-a7956581.html

Spanish police storm Catalan government buildings to stop independence referendum

If it didn't have popular support before hand its going to now.

That reminds me, I was on a run a few weeks back and ran through the LBJ Memorial Grove in DC. Some group was having a picnic and they had Catalan flags hanging everywhere. I'd never seen one up until then but I didn't know what it was at the time.

Though, Spain's certainly doing everything in it's power to ensure that vote passes if it happens.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Pentagon chief says he was asked about reintroducing tactical nuclear weapons in South Korea
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.cf33ffee4cbe

:woop:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pesticide20 posted:

There's an idea. Let's make it so the disabled people on Medicaid have to hold jobs.

Just naked gently caress the poors amirite

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Puerto Rico doesn't have power.

The entire island has no power, per their Secretary of State.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The crazy thing about the work requirement is that plenty of states already have partial waiver procedures that enable eligible recipients to retain benefits to some degree while also holding a job. Granted, most of those are for people with considerable mental disabilities but not major physical ones, where they want a job as a matter of personal fulfillment and the service then helps them get a job washing dishes or bagging groceries etc.

Medicaid is already so cheaply managed in the chudlands that absent that kind of situation you basically have to be a quadriplegic to qualify and even then they probably deny you since you could still theoretically get employment as a motivational speaker or a physicist.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

FAUXTON posted:

you could still theoretically get employment as a motivational speaker or a physicist.

Lol

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

facialimpediment posted:

Puerto Rico doesn't have power.

The entire island has no power, per their Secretary of State.

not surprised.

My brother is ok, but I haven't heard from my parents.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FAUXTON posted:

The crazy thing about the work requirement is that plenty of states already have partial waiver procedures that enable eligible recipients to retain benefits to some degree while also holding a job. Granted, most of those are for people with considerable mental disabilities but not major physical ones, where they want a job as a matter of personal fulfillment and the service then helps them get a job washing dishes or bagging groceries etc.

Medicaid is already so cheaply managed in the chudlands that absent that kind of situation you basically have to be a quadriplegic to qualify and even then they probably deny you since you could still theoretically get employment as a motivational speaker or a physicist.

Install them in the walls of brothels.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/910573081625862146

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Golly Gee, I wonder what they'll say...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

nope no need to start punching these people nope none at all!

Antifa are the real fahahahahaa

For real get the guillotines

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

quote:

Manafort offered to give Russian billionaire ‘private briefings’ on 2016 campaign

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...eaking-news-bar :allbuttons: :stare:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Slim Pickens posted:

The Serial podcast about him covers it in detail and googling doesn't give his story very easily, but I wanna say the dude 'blacked out' and woke up in the bathroom all bloody and with a broken mirror, so he was given an uncharacteristic discharge that didn't prevent him from joining the army two years later.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why you find every lazy boot/AIT commander who goes for the quick and easy chapter 11 for a mental case and kick them in the junk every time they don't actually pursue either a mental or other lovely reenlistment code separation.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

*cough* nothing matters *cough*

I don't even think this is the worst thing that has been reported this month.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

M_Gargantua posted:

*cough* nothing matters *cough*

I don't even think this is the worst thing that has been reported this month.

If it helps, Muller asked the White House for internal docs on the Comey firing, plus the Flynn firing, plus Manafort, plus the meeting with the Russians (just after the Comey firing). It's the clearest indication that Mueller isn't just going after Flynn/Manafort, but Trump too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.cbd2c58449c5

Basically, it's the clearest evidence so far that Mueller wants EVERYTHING on the table, including a big orange.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hahahaaaaaaa

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lol if this is related to yesterday's news about the wiretap on the manafort.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

If it helps, Muller asked the White House for internal docs on the Comey firing, plus the Flynn firing, plus Manafort, plus the meeting with the Russians (just after the Comey firing). It's the clearest indication that Mueller isn't just going after Flynn/Manafort, but Trump too.

Basically, it's the clearest evidence so far that Mueller wants EVERYTHING on the table, including a big orange.

Which, yeah, that's great and all and I hope some people get really hosed up in court, I really do. On top of that, thank god Mueler saw Trump's loving bullshit coming a mile off and started talking to the New York AG so he could tell him to go gently caress himself when he wants to start machine gunning pardons all over the place.

All of that said...so what? Let's say things go completely off the loving rails and Mueler gets Trump dead to god drat rights with a video taped conversation saying, "I, Donald J. Trump, am accepting this large burlap sack with a dollar symbol from my bestest buddy Putin in exchange for doing everything I can to sell out the sovereign nation of the United States of America".

What next? Do Republicans actually stop this bullshit ride and get back to our regularly scheduled skull-loving of the poor instead of encouraging Nazis, putting racist Keebler Elves in command of the DoJ and causing damage to our education that will take generations to unwind, assuming it's at all possible in the first place?

Don't get me wrong what Mueler is doing is loving vital because Trump needs to be mired in real controversy, have his administration dragged through the mud that is their own words, and covered in the poo poo that is their actions but color me skeptical that anything is going to actually "matter" in the sense of stopping the bullshit.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

bird food bathtub posted:

Which, yeah, that's great and all and I hope some people get really hosed up in court, I really do. On top of that, thank god Mueler saw Trump's loving bullshit coming a mile off and started talking to the New York AG so he could tell him to go gently caress himself when he wants to start machine gunning pardons all over the place.

All of that said...so what? Let's say things go completely off the loving rails and Mueler gets Trump dead to god drat rights with a video taped conversation saying, "I, Donald J. Trump, am accepting this large burlap sack with a dollar symbol from my bestest buddy Putin in exchange for doing everything I can to sell out the sovereign nation of the United States of America".

What next? Do Republicans actually stop this bullshit ride and get back to our regularly scheduled skull-loving of the poor instead of encouraging Nazis, putting racist Keebler Elves in command of the DoJ and causing damage to our education that will take generations to unwind, assuming it's at all possible in the first place?

Don't get me wrong what Mueler is doing is loving vital because Trump needs to be mired in real controversy, have his administration dragged through the mud that is their own words, and covered in the poo poo that is their actions but color me skeptical that anything is going to actually "matter" in the sense of stopping the bullshit.

I'm willing to bet that both McConnell and Ryan have had at least one conversation with Pence about Trump resigning 'for his health' and invoking the 25th.

My guess is, they'll pull the trigger once he gets indicted for obstructing justice or some other felony.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

WaPo fails to mention that the Grand Havana Club cigar bar is located on the 39th floor of Jared Kushner's building in Manhattan.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Should be funny when Mueller gets to pull a "Oh, did you lose some emails, isn't that the worst thing someone could ever do according to you?!"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

I doubt anything trump has done is actually that blatant, nor will there ever be any evidence of anything remotely as blatant. There does seem to be evidence of general corruption and bribery and emoluments, and that alone is cause of immediate impeachment and prison. If something even half as bad as what you're hypothesizing came out and congress didn't immediately fix the problem then we're into a scenario where more half the country no longer recognizes the elected leaders of the remaining third as legitimate. Extrapolate the plan b from that.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I would love to see Trump nailed to the wall, but I highly doubt the Russians ever had direct contact with him. They simply don't need it. He's a simple creature with easily pushable buttons and there would be no reason to get their hands dirty if they are in deep everywhere else. They can simply set the enviorment to be as conducive to their objectives as possible. Trump is influenced by lovely morning talkshows for God's sake. The Russians have a rich and deep history of managing human assets. Trump is clean simply because the Russians don't need to get him dirty to accomplish their objectives. The people around trump will go down, but not Trump himself imo.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Speaking of the New York AG, hypothetically what happens if the State of New York charges the President at the state level and issues a warrant for his arrest?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Speaking of the New York AG, hypothetically what happens if the State of New York charges the President at the state level and issues a warrant for his arrest?
Shut up New York you are FAKE LAWS! SAD!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Casimir Radon posted:

Shut up New York you are FAKE LAWS! SAD!

State's Rights!

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Trump tells them to gently caress off because everything from the supremacy clause to sovereign immunity says that they can pack that poo poo back into their rear end in a top hat.

Do you really think Trump would be the first guy it would happen to if a state could legally effect the arrest of the President?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 21, 2017

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'm almost positive this isn't possible based solely on the idea that South Carolina would have tried to arrest Lincoln if it could.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm almost positive this isn't possible based solely on the idea that South Carolina would have tried to arrest Lincoln if it could.

drat scene-stealing Marylanders.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's no precedent for it. The president cannot pardon state-level crimes, though; presumably he is not immune from prosecution by a state.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

The warrant gathers dust until the President isn't President anymore, and then the prosecution can proceed.
State charging an administration official other than the President is fine.

The main deal with concurrent state actions in this instance is that the President's pardon powers don't extend to state prosecutions.

e:

shame on an IGA posted:

drat scene-stealing Marylanders.

Nice. Interestingly, the supreme court basis for Presidential immunity from state prosecution is from a Maryland case.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 21, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Christ Almighty :stare:

https://twitter.com/SarahNEmerson/status/910644552502931457?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Hope your family is OK, ElMaligno

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

joat mon posted:

The warrant gathers dust until the President isn't President anymore, and then the prosecution can proceed.
State charging an administration official other than the President is fine.
Wouldn't sovereign immunity apply to acts committed while in office even after the President leaves office?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yo ElMaligno

I started a charity at my school to aid people who got wrecked by Irma. I will go talk to the faculty advisor tomorrow about making this an ongoing thing in light of Maria. We have been collecting mostly hygiene items.

If you got any idea of stuff people in PR really need and where we can best send stuff in the future, let me know.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dead Reckoning posted:

Wouldn't sovereign immunity apply to acts committed while in office even after the President leaves office?

lots of things are hosed up but trump was not president until noon on January 20, 2017.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cole your heart's in the right place but what they need, in every disaster, is hard cash money to buy the same goods at wholesale prices from a giant warehouse where they're already packed in bulk and close to shipping infrastructure.

Individual retail goods donations are both an inefficient use of your money and often actively harmful by diverting logistics resources from where they're most needed.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Do yall like karma? I like karma.

https://twitter.com/BillyArmagh/status/910571065264324608

• Locked thread