Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Signal posted:

Also look into Arena Rex. Small scale gladiator skirmish, interesting and elegant rules, and fewer "gotcha" rules than Malifaux.

:thunk:

There are certainly counters in Malifaux, but little that I'd say is "gotcha" if your opponent clarifies what conditions and passives are in play. Unless you're starting her off with say, Kirai's box alone, most of them are fairly balanced against each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
How if the quality of Deathzone miniatures? Are they made from restic?

The GCPC dudes make want to cry.

Anyone tried Warzone Ressurection? Sure, it doesn't have a starter, but it might be worth a look.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JcDent posted:

How if the quality of Deathzone miniatures? Are they made from restic?

The GCPC dudes make want to cry.

Anyone tried Warzone Ressurection? Sure, it doesn't have a starter, but it might be worth a look.

I think they're using regular plastic now. At least, the GCPS stuff I picked up at Mantic's open day was, with the exception of the character models (which were metal).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The new Deadzone starter is all hard plastic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Enforcers, Forge Fathers, GCPS, Plague, and Veer'myn all have hard plastic troops, and for the GCPS in particular every kind of infantry they have is made from that one sprue, and a small handful of metal bits for snipers and heavy weapon teams; Enforcers, Forge Fathers, and Veermyn all also have hard plastic heavy troops that may also have some metal weapon options. All the armies also have larger infantry, monsters, walkers, and gun tracks in either older restic or newer board game plastic depending on their age, and there are a mix of metal and restic heroes/mercs, many of the older restic ones are slowly being replaced with new sculpts in boardgame plastic.

Rebs and Marauders are exclusively restic.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The restic vehicles are actually of really good quality too. The Striders and Iron Ancestors in particular look great. I guess restic is just garbage when you're trying to do detail as small as it needs to be on a human sized figure.

muskets
Nov 23, 2013

ルンピカビーム!
Yeah, avoid Rebs and Marauders for now if you don't want restic - luckily with the demise of the card decks they're both really easy to replace with your ragtag militia of choice and 40k Orks if you want to play them. The old restic GCPS have been totally retired in favour of really nice new plastics, thankfully.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Warzone needs a lot of figs, not sure if that's what you want

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ten dudes per side that are individually activateable are fine, I guess.

Any less and you start running into games that have the annoying tendency of not having non named characters as generals (looking at you, Malifaux)

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

JcDent posted:

Ten dudes per side that are individually activateable are fine, I guess.

Any less and you start running into games that have the annoying tendency of not having non named characters as generals (looking at you, Malifaux)

So what are you looking for, lore wise? Non named leaders would indicate you want some customizability but then you indicated no interest in TNT or Scrappers. Frostgrave might be worth looking in to because with the book, a box of ~20 plastic soldiers and 2 cool wizards you could start playing.

It sounds like you would like Relic Blade but the 2 player starter is $99. It's not overly complex but has a lot of depth and even a campaign system. Its generic fantasy, though so I don't know if you want that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The new Frostgrave with pirates and jungle islands Ghost Archipelago is coming out soon, it's supposed to fix a lot of the issues people had with the original

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

JcDent posted:

I need an an alternating activation/IGOUGO game to trick my girlfriend into miniatures, preferably with available starter packs.

If you're open to generic fantasy rank&flank (which is a pretty big if), I'll firmly advocate for the Runewars miniatures game. It plays pretty simply, but has tons of room for players to make meaningful decisions. The dial initiative system keeps both players engaged nearly the whole game, and makes for very tense planning. It has similarities to X-Wing's system, but the variable initiative is a huge step forward.

The starter retails for a hundred freedom bucks and has two playable forces. Each is basically half of a full army. The out of the box experience decent, though tends to be a bit swingy.

The models are mostly pretty uninspired, but the game is very very good. The dials give you choices and make you think about what your opponent is likely to do, and also give each unit its 'feel'. Skeletons are shambling and slow, Carrion Lancers are fairly mobile and also capable of some surprising bursts of speed, the cavalry are very fast in a straight line but terrible at close-range maneuvering, and the spearmen are the sort of middle of the road option.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Hams was the first thing that exposed me to playing toy soldiers "professionally", and I feel like having a named character robs game of the feeling of "My Dudes." Hams, Infinity, most historicals, upcoming Company of Iron and more seeve it perfectly. Heck, it's even possible in Hobbit (tm) Movie (c) Trilogy (r) Miniature (wtf) Game (bdsm). I'd compromise for the noblr goal of getting GF into games.

I don't think she has a favorite setting, though she likes sci-fi more. I didn't want scrappers or whatever because I thought that an existing starter is an easier sell.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

JcDent posted:

Hams was the first thing that exposed me to playing toy soldiers "professionally", and I feel like having a named character robs game of the feeling of "My Dudes." Hams, Infinity, most historicals, upcoming Company of Iron and more seeve it perfectly. Heck, it's even possible in Hobbit (tm) Movie (c) Trilogy (r) Miniature (wtf) Game (bdsm). I'd compromise for the noblr goal of getting GF into games.

I don't think she has a favorite setting, though she likes sci-fi more. I didn't want scrappers or whatever because I thought that an existing starter is an easier sell.

I guess the main question is, "have you talked to her about what seems interesting?" Because you'd end up surprised, and going at this by talking to her about what she might like could work a little better here.

For example: my wife dislikes violence and complicated games. Despite this, after talking about gaming together for a while while we were dating, she ended up sticking around for a few games of Freebooter's Fate and currently is better than I am by a longshot.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

NTRabbit posted:

The new Frostgrave with pirates and jungle islands Ghost Archipelago is coming out soon, it's supposed to fix a lot of the issues people had with the original

I will be interested to see the rule book and see if I can graft the fixes into FG. Pirates hold no interest for me and I already have loads of fantasy stuff to play FG with. Kudos to Osprey for forging ahead with their games, but I'm not climbing aboard for this one.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I tried to get my gf into gaming. First she said it was the most boringest. Then I got food poisoning the second time we tried. Then we had a kid. Welp that's my story.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

She liked the look of Malifaux the best, because it doesn't have dice rolling, which she thinks make the game get long in the tooth.

Now, to pester someone for demonstration/starter. Used to be a Malifaux scene around here, somebody is bound to have something.

(Second) Worst comes to pass, I can always play for the Freikorps.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

All the Spartan asset sales were finalised today.

It was split up into a bunch of different lots -

1. The name and and associated logos.
2. The list of 15k customers
3. Assorted Spartan brand merchandise and gaming tables and miscellaneous.
4. The Dystopian Wars game, moulds and all other associated items including existing stock.
5. The Dystopian Legions game, moulds and all other associated items including existing stock
6. The firestorm armarda range including planet fall and strike, moulds production files and all existing stock.
7. Spartan Scenics range and all existing stock.

but someone on Dakka who decided to have a cheeky bid at Spartan Scenics, and Firestorm, reported back that the Firestorm lot had an offer of just over £50k, out of his reach. Seems like Dystopian Wars sold as well.

The most valuable thing on sale was the near-new machinery, but not sure when or where that went.

I can't find who bought them though, have to wait for a leak or an announcement.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 20, 2017

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hopefully the stuff went to someone who is competent to keep the line alive and even support the games, and it doesn't just fall off the world or get stuck in the abyss for ages.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

*Warlord Games gobble up Dystopian Legions just in case*

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Just placed an order for an Okami Combine (Tau) force from Onslaught. Should be fun painting my first 6mm models :gonk:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Keep us posted on the quality of the minis. My friends and I are really tempted to get into Epic and they're basically the perfect substitute.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

They are fantastic. I've never been disappointed with anything I've bought from them. Can't recommend them highly enough, and if there was ever a chance of me playing epic regularly I'd buy a ton of armies.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ashcans posted:

Hopefully the stuff went to someone who is competent to keep the line alive and even support the games, and it doesn't just fall off the world or get stuck in the abyss for ages.

So: anyone other than Spartan Games then, basically?

:v:

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Man, there's such an immense amount of lingering hate for Spartan coming out of the woodwork. They seem to have upset a lot of people.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

/awg/ thread on /tg/ seemed to have enough hatred even when Spartan were going business-as-usual. For the same reasons mentioned in the thread, too.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
e: Wrong thread. :(

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 21, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've come to loathe Malifaux as a skirmish game - everything lasts forever (or is instantly destroyed). All of the factions have crazy amounts of synergy and combos. There are many 'come back from death', 'banish your model forever', etc. type rules. There is a strategy, four? schemes per game, with markers and different objective types. It's just a pain in the arse and not fun for me at all.

I've gone through Otherworld SKirmish, Frostgrave and Advanced SoBH and the latter is definitely the most fun.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 25, 2017

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Southern Heel posted:

I've come to loathe Malifaux as a skirmish game - everything lasts forever (or is instantly destroyed). All of the factions have crazy amounts of synergy and combos. There are many 'come back from death', 'banish your model forever', etc. type rules. There is a strategy, four? schemes per game, with markers and different objective types. It's just a pain in the arse and not fun for me at all.

I've gone through Otherworld SKirmish, Frostgrave and Advanced SoBH and the latter is definitely the most fun.

I'm looking to get back into miniature gaming, and Frostgrave and Advanced SoBH sound the most interesting to me. Can you go over a little why you find the latter the most fun? I've been able to find a bit about it online, but the reviews I've read are pretty general in their discussions. I'm looking for a flexible ruleset that I could use to play fun skirmish games with a wide variety of models.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Hey Malifaux nerds - I have a couple of alt sculpts that I can't find on Ebay. Are these worth anything?

Lady Justice Alt

Perdita Ortega Alt

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I've honestly no clue, but you could also ask in the Malifaux thread proper, or check on the Malifaux buy/sell group on Facebook.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

I've honestly no clue, but you could also ask in the Malifaux thread proper, or check on the Malifaux buy/sell group on Facebook.

Didn't know there was a dedicated thread. Thanks.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

I mentioned this in the Mantic thread, but I randomly picked up The Walking Dead: All Out War core set recently and played a game with my brother while on vacation (first for both of us). Really nice rules and lots of fun with the walkers as scenery that moves and bites. I recommend giving it a shot even if the setting doesn't thrill you (that was my biggest reservation about it).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Biennial Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes post.

MeinPanzer posted:

I'm looking to get back into miniature gaming, and Frostgrave and Advanced SoBH sound the most interesting to me. Can you go over a little why you find the latter the most fun? I've been able to find a bit about it online, but the reviews I've read are pretty general in their discussions. I'm looking for a flexible ruleset that I could use to play fun skirmish games with a wide variety of models.

I found Frostgrave to be a bit of a one-trick pony - there's THE theme, with THE character archtetypes, etc. - it's alot less sandbox than boardgame IMHO. Song of Blades and Heroes is a really, really simple system. The guy who runs is it is really nice, I co-wrote an AI system for it (so you can play by yourself). It is a very simple, elegant core ruleset and there are literally dozens of add-ons if you want to make it a dungeoncrawler, set it in the time of King Arthur or Napoleon, include campaigns, etc.

Each miniature has three stats (Cost, Quality and Combat) and some of a library of universal special rules (in which lies all the flavour). For example, a Barbarian would have this statline:

Barbarian Archer 3/3 - 50pts
Special rules:
Composite-Bow Range Long - rolling a 1 (and 1 on a re-roll causes bow to snap and is unusable)
Snow Walk No movement penalty for Snow

Every historical general has written about how hard it is to organise your troops, communicate effectively, rally and retreat in an orderly fashion etc - and having this represented on the game tabletop IMO is very important. There are many ways of doing it, but I think ASOBH does it the best - you simply decide how many actions a model will take (for example, the Archer will move, aim, then shoot - 3 actions), and roll the relevant number of dice - for every dice you roll equal to or over the quality, an action is granted. For every failure, a reaction is granted to any enemy model. If you roll two failures, then the turn passes to the opponent. You have to be shrewd about not only who activates, but how much you push the envelope.

All of the special rules bolt onto these - Being 'poisoned' makes your quality worse (higher in value), having a magic shield might add +1 to your combat better when being attacked. Heavy Rain might give a -1 penalty to all ranged fire. All of the buildings surrounding the courtyard catching fire might make anyone within 'short' range of structures take a 'Fire' attack, and anyone within 'medium' have a penalty to all combat roles due to the noxious smoke.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

quote:

Hi

Wayland Games Ltd (Buyer) purchased certain assets of Rebel Publishing Ltd (trading as Spartan Games) on Friday 22nd September 2017 and we note that you are currently listed on Rebel Publishing Limited's (Seller) customer database for the purpose of receiving details of products and/or services from the Seller.

Your personal data has been transferred to the Buyer for the continued provision of the details of such products and/or services to you. The Buyer will process your personal data fairly and lawfully in accordance with the principles of the Data Protection Act 1998 for the sole purpose of continuing to provide such details to you.

Please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Support team on support@warcradle.com if you have any queries or if you wish to have your personal data removed from the database.

Please note that should you require removal of your personal data, we will be unable to continue to provide details of products and/or services to you.

Yours sincerely,

Wayland Games

quote:

We have some great news from Warcradle Studios!

We are proud to announce that we have acquired all rights and materials relating to the Dystopian Wars, Firestorm Armada and Uncharted Seas settings.

Dystopian Wars, Dystopian Legions, Armoured Clash, Firestorm Armada, Firestorm Planetfall and Uncharted Seas were created by the team at Spartan Games and we are excited to now be able to explore these settings further. We will also be developing and expanding on a large number of exciting scenic products to support these ranges.

We are actively working to bring the games to a wide audience from next year. Through Warcradle Studios, Wayland Games will be investing in all aspects of the design, development and supply of these worlds.

We are committed to producing an exciting range of new plastic and resin miniatures to support the growth of our games. These will build on the established releases as well as introduce new narrative and competitive gaming opportunities.

We are planning in-store organised play support for our games as well as a range of exciting events planned throughout 2018 and beyond.

Look out for our announcements of new products and show attendance in the coming weeks!

So Wayland now own everything that used to be Spartan, in addition to purchasing Wild West Exodus last year.

Called out Uncharted Seas too, so maybe a revival?

quote:

ave Wayland Games purchased Rebel Publishing, the company that owned Spartan Games?

No, Rebel Publishing remains the company responsible for any Kickstarter or retail/trade activities that took place prior when they ceased trading.

I am owed products from Rebel Publishing. How can I get them or my money back?

Backers or customers of Rebel Publishing should get in contact with the Administrators for any issues relating to Kickstarters or purchases. Contacting Paypal or your credit card companies would be our recommendation for trying to getting any money back from anything relating to a transaction you may have had with Rebel Publishing.

Us KS backers are still being left in the lurch though :(

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 26, 2017

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Okami Combine Order Arrived: Overall I am very impressed with the models. They are so tiny! The detail they are able to get on these small models is really incredible.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

6mm is a da boss... especially when you cheat like GHQ and do 1/285.

What are the peep's opinion on Maelstrom's Edge? I don't really like the setting (people fighting over worlds that are doomed instead of gtfo-ing, which made some sense in VOR, the Karists being wrong), but I'm curious about gameplay.

They have produced like 8 books for the setting!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

NTRabbit posted:

Us KS backers are still being left in the lurch though :(

The dangers of not waiting for retail. :shrug:

I find this to be a really interesting move. When someone bought the huge flop that was WWX I was shocked, but to buy other failed garbage before having any success seems risky. I am sure they have plans to revive these franchises so I am interested to see what they do. Maybe just focus on one game until it has a foothold in the Naval Space Games market or whichever?

I haven't seen any increased interest in Wild West Exodus, but I guess we will see.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

goodness posted:

Okami Combine Order Arrived: Overall I am very impressed with the models. They are so tiny! The detail they are able to get on these small models is really incredible.

Awesome. I really like the Okami.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Those are really cool. I hope the range gets expanded sooner rather than later, but it appears they're starting to do 10mm fantasy as well.