Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Actually his middle name's Maurice. Despite belief, this wasn't something Penders thought of, but was rather from a gag from one of the early Mike Gallagher issues ("Danger's my middle name! Actually it's Maurice but don't tell anyone"). Penders was guilty of trying to make it a thing and coming up with a true first name that never actually showed up in the comic proper: Oglive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, Penders tried to imply the middle name they gave him was Maurice, and that his given name was something different from Sonic. He intended it to be the hyper stupid "Oglivie", but it never made it into the book.

Ian did his best to utterly bury this and stated Sonic officially changed it to "Sonic" and that his given name went the way of the real Seymour Skinner.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TFRazorsaw posted:

That was Ivan Kintobor, Robotnik's ancestor, not Ian Droid

I thought they were the same thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No, they just both named their robot sidekicks "Isaac" because Penders is a hack. Droid's was a SWATbot.

Penders wanted Dr. Droid to turn out to be an incarnation of Robotnik and be the main villain of 25YL.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TFRazorsaw posted:

No, they just both named their robot sidekicks "Isaac" because Penders is a hack. Droid's was a SWATbot.

Penders wanted Dr. Droid to turn out to be an incarnation of Robotnik and be the main villain of 25YL.

Oh right, that's what I'm thinking of. Way more complex than it needs to be...

"Way more complex than it needs to be" The Ken Penders story

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Here's a weird little query, does anyone recall the Sonic novels and CYOA knockoff books that were made in the 90s?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gaz-L posted:

Here's a weird little query, does anyone recall the Sonic novels and CYOA knockoff books that were made in the 90s?

Were those the ones Virgin Books published which relied on the same instructions or Sonic bible as STC?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Were those the ones Virgin Books published which relied on the same instructions or Sonic bible as STC?

Some wiki-fu says yes, though the CYOA ones (which were more like Lone Wolf, I suppose, in that Sonic had tabletop-esque stats) were by Puffin, but shared some of the same writers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In any event, I didn't really read them but I was aware of them via the loose association with STC.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I have vivid memories of Sonic & The 4th Dimension, and in retrospect, realise how blatantly they were ripping off the Flash. Sonic goes back in time via a treadmill that lets him break through the barrier.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was an 8 page origin of Sonic comic/ad in the middle of a lot of DC comics in the early 90's and I hold that up as the one true origin canon.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Is that the one with Brown Sonic and Kintorbor, etc...?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CowboyAndy posted:

Indeed.

The one true origin.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

CowboyAndy posted:

It was produced by Fleetway and called Sonic the Comic, and its what we had in the UK.

It was really cool, although it had inconsistent art.

The UK OC freedom fighters were a pig and a rabbit and we only had one non-knuckles echidna, but he was way cooler than whatever dudes were in Archie.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

MrFlibble posted:

It was produced by Fleetway and called Sonic the Comic, and its what we had in the UK.

It was really cool, although it had inconsistent art.

The UK OC freedom fighters were a pig and a rabbit and we only had one non-knuckles echidna, but he was way cooler than whatever dudes were in Archie.

Fleetway's backstory originates from a non-archie american tie in comic that was bundled in with a bunch of different comics and magazines

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Fleetway's backstory originates from a non-archie american tie in comic that was bundled in with a bunch of different comics and magazines

Neat - looking it up it was actually based on an american comic, weird.

In the uk version the accident that created Robotnik was actually caused by sonic and time travel shenanigans involving the brotherhood of metalix.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrFlibble posted:

In the uk version the accident that created Robotnik was actually caused by sonic and time travel shenanigans involving the brotherhood of metalix.

Robotnik = Kintobor + Chaos energy + A really smelly rotten egg

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Wheat Loaf posted:

Robotnik = Kintobor + Chaos energy + A really smelly rotten egg

Yeah, thats the accident - Kintobor trips over his device that was supposed to be draining the chaos emeralds of evil while holding a rotten egg. This was in isssue 8 of the uk comic.

In or around issue 65 there was a storyline involving loads of metal sonics (the brotherhood of metalix) and time travel and they were involved somehow but its been quite a while since I read it. Or it might have been in the chaotix story just before issue 100.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrFlibble posted:

In or around issue 65 there was a storyline involving loads of metal sonics (the brotherhood of metalix) and time travel and they were involved somehow but its been quite a while since I read it. Or it might have been in the chaotix story just before issue 100.

Yeah, the Metallix were created by Robotnik's assistant, Grimer, but Robotnik's one contribution to the design was their self-destruct button. So the Metallix change history by going back in time and prevent Kintobor from becoming Robotnik; Grimer still creates them, but they're never equipped with a kill-switch, so they effectively have no weaknesses. Sonic and the Chaotix Crew have to follow them back in time Terminator-style and Sonic has to directly create his own worst enemy so they'll be able to use the self-destruct to stop the Metallixes when they return to the present.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, the Metallix were created by Robotnik's assistant, Grimer, but Robotnik's one contribution to the design was their self-destruct button. So the Metallix change history by going back in time and prevent Kintobor from becoming Robotnik; Grimer still creates them, but they're never equipped with a kill-switch, so they effectively have no weaknesses. Sonic and the Chaotix Crew have to follow them back in time Terminator-style and Sonic has to directly create his own worst enemy so they'll be able to use the self-destruct to stop the Metallixes when they return to the present.

Did the idea of "just stop Grimer from ever making them" even come up? 'cause you know, you woulda thought "get Grimer tossed in jail or something" would work.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

And I have that mini-comic! It's weird how an American comic ended up influencing the UK comic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kurui Reiten posted:

Did the idea of "just stop Grimer from ever making them" even come up? 'cause you know, you woulda thought "get Grimer tossed in jail or something" would work.

Frankly, I'm not sure why the Metallix decided they needed to travel back in time essentially to prevent the birth of the man who installed their kill-switch instead of, you know, just removing it themselves. :v: (Probably there was some in-story justification but it's been so many years since I read it that I can't remember.)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

CowboyAndy posted:

And I have that mini-comic! It's weird how an American comic ended up influencing the UK comic.

It wasn't like the mini-comic itself was the source. At that point, the Sega of America/Sega of Europe Sonic guidelines for licensees had that as the backstory. It was basically created whole cloth for the western market by SoA/SoE, and then they kind of ditched it as time went on. Meanwhile, early stuff reflected it because, well, yeah. At least, that's how I remember it going.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
First details on IDW's version from their NYCC panel. It'll be a clean reboot starting from Issue # 1, with Ian Flynn back as writer and Tyson Hesse doing the covers.

First issue will hit April 4th, with the next three issues releasing weekly to make up for lost time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nothing says "clean reboot" in that article, and the last paragraph leaves open the possibility of IDW picking up where Archie left off.

EDIT - http://www.tssznews.com/2017/10/08/sonic-nycc-2017-idw-event-qa-info/ there we go, that's where that info on it being a new continuity comes from

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 8, 2017

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

Nothing says "clean reboot" in that article, and the last paragraph leaves open the possibility of IDW picking up where Archie left off.
It was apparently mentioned at the panel, but my sources are forum posts and chat logs so hopefully more concrete info comes to light over the coming day.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

yeah, I just posted to TSSZ's report on it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's a shame that it's starting from zero, I really liked the post-reboot universe but I see the logic in it and I don't disagree.

With Flynn coming back I'm definitely on board though.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Awesome that Flynn and Hesse are back. Any word about any of the other post-Penders veterans, like Yardley, Hernandez, or Yardley?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Plom Bar posted:

Awesome that Flynn and Hesse are back. Any word about any of the other post-Penders veterans, like Yardley, Hernandez, or Yardley?
Nothing confirmed yet.

https://twitter.com/IanFlynnBKC/status/917258515600891904

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I wonder if Flynn will get to keep any of the characters he created for post-SGW. I really liked the Egg Bosses.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I remember what IDW did to Megaman, so even with Flynn writing I am still uncertain. I may be a grown-rear end man, but I grew up with these games abd comics, dammit.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Screaming Idiot posted:

I remember what IDW did to Megaman

:confused:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
There was an IDW Megaman comic about a decade ago that had Megaman flying around like Astroboy and living life as a pretend-human teenager. It was awful -- even Spaz's art couldn't save it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

There was an IDW Megaman comic about a decade ago that had Megaman flying around like Astroboy and living life as a pretend-human teenager. It was awful -- even Spaz's art couldn't save it.

Are you sure that wasn't Dreamwave?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Screaming Idiot posted:

That's the Dreamwave comic

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Caidin posted:

Are you sure that wasn't Dreamwave?

Now that you mention it, it might have been. Like I said, it's been a while. I just hope the executives just let Flynn do a good job without much meddling.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro
All I recall of the Dreamwave Mega Man comic is that it wasn't very good, used mostly original character do not steal robot masters, and had the most hideous depiction of Roll I've ever seen on one of its covers:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is that by Superstar ArtistTM Michiyamenotehi Funana?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Panic Restaurant posted:

All I recall of the Dreamwave Mega Man comic is that it wasn't very good, used mostly original character do not steal robot masters, and had the most hideous depiction of Roll I've ever seen on one of its covers:

that megaman is like halfway between actual megaman and US box art megaman

Mikedawson posted:

I wonder if Flynn will get to keep any of the characters he created for post-SGW. I really liked the Egg Bosses.

I'd really like to see the Egg Bosses come back too, but at this point we're not even sure if the Freedom Fighters are still around and I'd be even more bummed out by that.

Honestly, in a lot of ways a complete reset is a little disappointing, largely because it means they're gonna have to spend a lot of time setting up the world and it'll be a while before we get into the really fun side stuff again. I like Sonic and the core cast plenty and I'm sure whatever Flynn does will be good, but most of my favorite stuff from these comics is when they get into the weeds with side characters and their oddball B-tier adventures. Like, I'm glad the Chaotix and the Hooligans are guaranteed to still be on the table, but who knows when we'll actually see them, you know? They'll get there eventually, though, so it's fine. I'm pretty impressed by Ian Flynn's willingness to bounce back and do it all over again.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 9, 2017

• Locked thread