Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played an Evangelion game for the Wonderswan that was like a POkemon clone. If you want to fit that into your canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm not convinced there are any time loops or anything like that. Doesn't mean that it couldn't be a twist or whatever in the last Rebuild movie, but I don't find the theories convincing in the slightest bit as of now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Rebuild very strongly suggests a cyclical pattern but there's nothing to suggest that it's even in continuity with the TV show, let alone with anything else. Don't think of them as a single narrative; think of them as a conversation.

(and the manga is Sadamoto piping up from the kids' table lol)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rebuild very strongly suggests a cyclical pattern but there's nothing to suggest that it's even in continuity with the TV show, let alone with anything else. Don't think of them as a single narrative; think of them as a conversation.

Its really weird how it's all shown. AFAIK isn't the Manga the only other time we see Mari besides the movies? And the movies have some weird hints like the red ocean, kawou knowing shinji already and the blood on the moon? I think people explained everything except kawou.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sadamoto was good at the character stuff, just bad at coming up with his own plot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Sadamoto was good at the character stuff, just bad at coming up with his own plot.

I donno, I didn't find his Kaworu compelling at all which is pretty sad considering he had like 10 times the amount of stuff to work with.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah the Manga copies too much stuff from the TV show. They could have tried harder to be different.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Raxivace posted:

I'm not convinced there are any time loops or anything like that. Doesn't mean that it couldn't be a twist or whatever in the last Rebuild movie, but I don't find the theories convincing in the slightest bit as of now.

There's obviously no diegetic time loop short of a wizard doing it, but Rebuild is not just a repeat performance. Of course they're different.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Shinji goes back in time and writes the dead sea scrolls that tell of the angel attacks. Calling it here.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah the Manga copies too much stuff from the TV show. They could have tried harder to be different.

It is definitely in that awkward spot of not being different enough to stand on its own without being compared to the series, but with many of the differences are uninteresting on their own. Character differences mainly serving to make them feel more generic for the most part.

To say nothing of that ending, yeesh.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Srice posted:

It is definitely in that awkward spot of not being different enough to stand on its own without being compared to the series, but with many of the differences are uninteresting on their own. Character differences mainly serving to make them feel more generic for the most part.

To say nothing of that ending, yeesh.

Yeah. I still liked reading it though, feels like it's another hint at what's going on with the cycles.

Because if all the media interpretations are interlinked, it can mean Evangelion is sort of a saga that's been going on for decades in various media formats.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Safety Biscuits posted:

There's obviously no diegetic time loop short of a wizard doing it, but Rebuild is not just a repeat performance. Of course they're different.
Right. The connections between NGE and Rebuild are purely allusion/thematic IMO.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The "cockpit" of the wunder reminds me a whole lot of the faces of the mass production eva series.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's nothing in the world i want more right now than some three hour leviathan of an evangelion movie. Rewatching 3.33 and I'm just like :nignog:

also holy crap check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZ0MJgxjsM this loving classic evangelion tune that ive loved and adored since the first time ive heard it...

...is a rearrangement of a classic james bond piece!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCEiNk198E

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 3, 2017

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
baby's first step to seeing how much anno lifted from other things

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SHISHKABOB posted:

There's nothing in the world i want more right now than some three hour leviathan of an evangelion movie. Rewatching 3.33 and I'm just like :nignog:

also holy crap check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZ0MJgxjsM this loving classic evangelion tune that ive loved and adored since the first time ive heard it...

...is a rearrangement of a classic james bond piece!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKCEiNk198E

Now listen to Komm Süßer Tod followed by Hey Jude.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Heh, I'd known Eva had imitated the styles of a whole bunch of other things with its music (e.g. old Bond music, Thunderbirds, etc.), but I hadn't caught what a direct ripoff some of it was.

EDIT: ^Eh, it's only really in the outro that they start to sound really similar. The rest of it seems more like when pop songs end up sounding reminiscent of one another when they use similar BPM and chord transitions and stuff.

smenj fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 3, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Bond music thing is new to me. Eva being such a mishmash of very different things is one of the cooler parts about it IMO.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's funny for me because I'd listened to the Bond soundtracks so much before I saw Evangelion is was literally the first thing I noticed it had borrowed.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't have too much experience with the Bond movies. I like the ones I've seen but any time I think about marathoning through the ones I haven't I remember that they're all like two and a half hours long and then just watch something else instead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's more bad Bond movies than good ones so. I watched most of them as a kid and didn't notice though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sort of reminds me of when I lost some respect for Yoko Kanno after seeing a compilation video of a lot of songs she ripped off. I still can certainly enjoy her music ("great artists steal" and all that), but there's a lot of unattributed taking of melodies or direct sampling going on.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Sakurazuka posted:

Now listen to Komm Süßer Tod followed by Hey Jude.

Can you elaborate on Hey Jude? How is it connected to Evangelion?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

neurotech posted:

Can you elaborate on Hey Jude? How is it connected to Evangelion?
Its melody is similar to Komm Susser Tod's.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Its melody is similar to Komm Susser Tod's.

Hey Jude, don't make it bad
Take a sad song and make it better
Remember to let her into your heart
Then you can start
to make it all come tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hey so there's this old rear end Eva parody video I'm trying to find

it was contemporary with, like, AMV Hell and poo poo and kind of in that vein, not like an abridged series, and I remember it being passed around a lot/constantly mentioned on EvaGeeks back in the day. I don't really remember much about it past that because I pretty much completely forgot this existed until a tiny bundle of synapses reconnected and I remembered it was a thing. does anyone know what the hell I might be thinking of?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

hey so there's this old rear end Eva parody video I'm trying to find

it was contemporary with, like, AMV Hell and poo poo and kind of in that vein, not like an abridged series, and I remember it being passed around a lot/constantly mentioned on EvaGeeks back in the day. I don't really remember much about it past that because I pretty much completely forgot this existed until a tiny bundle of synapses reconnected and I remembered it was a thing. does anyone know what the hell I might be thinking of?

ReDeath?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I remember watching that a long time ago and boy some parts of it had not aged well at all.

It's Gendo on the other hand... :cool:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I remember watching that a long time ago and boy some parts of it had not aged well at all.

It's Gendo on the other hand... :cool:

ReDeath is timeless :v:

Also, it was re-released a few years ago as ReDeath ReDux, which I think has a few more minutes of additional stuff in it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

loving REDEATH THAT'S IT

THANK YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Mentioning AMV's threw me off and had me thinking of that Evangelion's Opus AMV which is the only one other than the Windows98 one worth watching.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Last time I watched the video for Baby Got Back was before I saw Evangelion; after rewatching it today, I get the feeling it may have been an inspiration for the opening animation.

RUMP
THICK
REAR
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD
ANGELS
TOKYO-3

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
yo peep this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB1k02yh43A

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if you had to simply sum up anno and all of his works i think the term "giant nerd" fits best and his wife seems to agree with me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gerry Anderson was super popular in Japan and a lot of giant robot stuff owes a lot to his shows.

Check out the second Big O OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnaQZgZaOkg

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Those are the goggles X-wing pilots wear.

E: way earlier in the thread, I think linked in the OP, is something about Eva ripping off UFO and Stingray and stuff. The retracting buildings from Stingray were especially neat.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Nov 30, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there a western release for the TV series blurays yet?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

No....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rebuild 4 is definitely coming out any day now.