Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What are GIFTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Giant Intelligent Friendly Talking Spiders, a sort of mascot character for the Exile/Avernum series. They're chirpy, happy, flirty spiders that invariably skeeve the hell out of the local NPCs, and possibly the player as well.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
They think you're cute.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Their name is Spider! You're cute!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The friendly roaches were better, and had funnier names.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Imagine if one of the plagues in Exile 3 had just been the GIFTS swarming over all the towns in the province, chirpily greeting the guards, hitting on the farmers, and asking where all the gnats are.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Imagine if one of the plagues in Exile 3 had just been the GIFTS swarming over all the towns in the province, chirpily greeting the guards, hitting on the farmers, and asking where all the gnats are.
That'd be way too much of them. There's a really thin line between "cute haha joke" and overdoing it...and their appearance in Exile 3 (with both them and the GIFT Spiders Roaches) was already pretty close to that line.

Avernum 5 and 6 nailed that balance pretty well I think - in 5, it was like their little 'town' and one optional quest, so they didn't overstay their welcome. And 6 had them actually be part of a moral dilemma - Gladwell does his normal creepy mage routine, asking you to steal their eggs so he can breed them.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
These are in fact all connected, because Spiderweb Software is named after his former pet tarantula, Spider, who in turn inspired the GIFTS.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Just yesterday in Avadon 2 I ran into a peaceful spider weaving some useful item. I had the option to attack but chose not to out of respect for the GIFTS. :)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
You guys better watch it or Vogel might give them the sexy Shelob treatment. :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I could Google this but I trust goons more: Getting Geneforge 4 to run in windowed mode - Easy, hard, not even worth my time?

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I could Google this but I trust goons more: Getting Geneforge 4 to run in windowed mode - Easy, hard, not even worth my time?

Here's a stickied topic on the official forums about it. I remember doing this a couple years ago and worked perfectly. Only caveat is that since the post is old, don't bother following his link for the DxWnd program since his link is outdated.
http://spiderwebforums.ipbhost.com/topic/19034-nalyd-teaches-you-how-to-run-geneforge-1-4-in-a-window-in-ten-easy-steps/

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I always just took the lazy option for things like that, and ran it in a virtual machine.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I'm playing through the newest Avernum 1 remake. I played Exile a long time ago and remember magic being way more powerful than physical attacks but so far my two swordguys are massively outdamaging my spellcasters. I just finished the quest to return the necklace to the mayor of Formello, so I'm still pretty early in the game. Is magic nerfed in the remake or should I just wait? Like I'm still using Firebolt for nearly everything

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Magic is still amazing, you just haven't gotten the AoE spells yet. Lightning Spray in particular is a mainstay for most of the game.

Sadly the utility of magic for buffing has been decreased substantially, though.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
The farther into the game you go, the weaker melee gets. On higher difficulties, this goes even more so. Early on yes, melee is still REAL good, but to be honest, your firebolt should still mostly keep up with them. Near the end of the game, outside of tanking - which spellcasters can still easily do - the only real thing melee has is very high single target damage, and even then only if really utilizing dual wielding specific item combos. Or combo, as there's a singular good combo. That's not to say your melee characters will be a BURDEN - just that, once you start really getting your AoE spells, you'll watch your spellcasters do your melee single target damage to groups, and those melee dudes are gonna start to feel vestigial.

And then Cloak of the Arcane happens...

This is way, way worse in Avernum 2, where said weapon combo no longer exists, and dual wielding was nerfed.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magic is still amazing, you just haven't gotten the AoE spells yet. Lightning Spray in particular is a mainstay for most of the game.

Sadly the utility of magic for buffing has been decreased substantially, though.

I wish your posting had been decreased substantially though!!!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
There's no real point to this and I'm fairly sure that I already know the answer to this question, but is there any way, in Exile 1, to get Scrioth from Motrax's hoard without putting him in kill mode? I already spoke to him and found the key and I could kill him with no gameplay consequence or just run away and leave him to fume, but I'd rather not. I realise that Demonslayer, of which I have two bits, is probably better and Motrax's key gets you the last bit, but I would still like to collect all of the unique weapons in the game. I just don't see a way to bypass his sensor as the Orb does not work in dungeons.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

JustJeff88 posted:

There's no real point to this and I'm fairly sure that I already know the answer to this question, but is there any way, in Exile 1, to get Scrioth from Motrax's hoard without putting him in kill mode? I already spoke to him and found the key and I could kill him with no gameplay consequence or just run away and leave him to fume, but I'd rather not. I realise that Demonslayer, of which I have two bits, is probably better and Motrax's key gets you the last bit, but I would still like to collect all of the unique weapons in the game. I just don't see a way to bypass his sensor as the Orb does not work in dungeons.

If there's a way, I don't know of it. I always ran away rather than killing him, though. Motrax is cool and deserves at least that much consideration.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Play with the Exile 1 savegame editor & see if Scrioth is worth the trouble of killing Motrax over it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Each of the Exile games had a few areas where you had no choice but to accept that the treasure you want is going to make some groups permanently pissed off at you. In E1 & 2 this meant raiding Motrax's stash. In Exile 3 you could pull a heist at the Anama Temple and you're on Shayder's shitlist forever, or slaugher Athron's brood to get the treasure they're guarding, resulting in a very angry dragon. Simply put, if you have no plans to ever ever ever return to those locations then hell yes, rob those suckers blind.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 24, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh my god gently caress crafting forever, why would you put it in a drat Geneforge game, what are you even doing Jeff Vogel

edit: Huh. I feel like I've just hit a brick wall. I'm at the start of, uh... "act 3"? I have to kill Shaper Monarch, siding pure rebel. Everything is relatively trash, but like, I found mines under Grosch and they want 25 Mechanics. I have 12. I've been happy with 12. Should I just ignore Mechanics for the rest of the game or am I woefully underleveled at 29? Is there somewhere else I should be going or stuff I should be doing that isn't "just run from endless garbage"? I found this Warped Spawner but it has a thousand HP and I hit it for like 40 tops with my spells. Do I just need more points in Battle Magic or what?

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 25, 2017

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh my god gently caress crafting forever, why would you put it in a drat Geneforge game, what are you even doing Jeff Vogel

edit: Huh. I feel like I've just hit a brick wall. I'm at the start of, uh... "act 3"? I have to kill Shaper Monarch, siding pure rebel. Everything is relatively trash, but like, I found mines under Grosch and they want 25 Mechanics. I have 12. I've been happy with 12. Should I just ignore Mechanics for the rest of the game or am I woefully underleveled at 29? Is there somewhere else I should be going or stuff I should be doing that isn't "just run from endless garbage"? I found this Warped Spawner but it has a thousand HP and I hit it for like 40 tops with my spells. Do I just need more points in Battle Magic or what?

You can get servile technicians as NPC allies by talking to the commander at the rebel camp. They're no good in combat, but each one that joins you gives an effective +5 Mechanics. You can also get other allies who are more helpful with the fighty parts.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Make sure to level your spellcraft as well as your battle magic. Unless that thing has some kind of resistance to magic you should be doing way more damage than 40. I think you should have access to the kill spell at that point right?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Thuryl posted:

You can get servile technicians as NPC allies by talking to the commander at the rebel camp. They're no good in combat, but each one that joins you gives an effective +5 Mechanics. You can also get other allies who are more helpful with the fighty parts.
...yeah, I ignored that dude because I forgot they told me to go talk to him. WHOOPS. That's 100% what I'm missing.

lambskin posted:

Make sure to level your spellcraft as well as your battle magic. Unless that thing has some kind of resistance to magic you should be doing way more damage than 40. I think you should have access to the kill spell at that point right?
If I do have access, I haven't located the trainer for it yet. I have everything from the mage NPC in the rebel camp, which is Lightning Aura and [Essence Orbs(?)] and Mass Heal. Battle Magic at 9, Spellcraft at 6 with gear. Kinda spent a bunch of skill points on 10 Leadership/12 Mechanics :shobon:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Thanks for the tip though. I had passed on Lightning Spray in the Tower of Magi because it was expensive but I just bought 2 levels of it and my life is way way easier

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...yeah, I ignored that dude because I forgot they told me to go talk to him. WHOOPS. That's 100% what I'm missing.

If I do have access, I haven't located the trainer for it yet. I have everything from the mage NPC in the rebel camp, which is Lightning Aura and [Essence Orbs(?)] and Mass Heal. Battle Magic at 9, Spellcraft at 6 with gear. Kinda spent a bunch of skill points on 10 Leadership/12 Mechanics :shobon:

Yeah if I remember correctly you can get those spells from the shaper camp, but you probably have to be fairly pro shaper.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

lambskin posted:

Yeah if I remember correctly you can get those spells from the shaper camp, but you probably have to be fairly pro shaper.
ASAB

...reminds me to go back and see if I can clean out that heavily guarded fort now that I have some new toys and a better shield and everything

Why would anyone ever side with them? I mean, these rebels aren't the best and the brightest and the most noble so far, but Shapers are the worst. I guess actually my character is the worst because he's all hopped up on canisters. But Shapers made the Geneforge initially and then the later Geneforges.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DACK FAYDEN posted:

ASAB

...reminds me to go back and see if I can clean out that heavily guarded fort now that I have some new toys and a better shield and everything

Why would anyone ever side with them? I mean, these rebels aren't the best and the brightest and the most noble so far, but Shapers are the worst. I guess actually my character is the worst because he's all hopped up on canisters. But Shapers made the Geneforge initially and then the later Geneforges.

Power. Unlimited power.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DACK FAYDEN posted:

ASAB

It really depends on the game. Shapers are a much more reasonable option in 4/5 than in 1-3.

Also in general Shapers abhor the Geneforge and want to destroy them ASAP. The people who make them are exclusively rogue from the council. In general Shapers are insanely conservative and locked down, something like the Geneforge or Canisters that skips all of the training and learning of Shaping is completely against everything they believe in.

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 25, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

Also in general Shapers abhor the Geneforge and want to destroy them ASAP. The people who make them are exclusively rogue from the council. In general Shapers are insanely conservative and locked down, something like the Geneforge or Canisters that skips all of the training and learning of Shaping is completely against everything they believe in.
Right, I suppose it's more "the existence of the Geneforge, which makes you go literally insane, is due to the Shaping arts existing" and also Shapers are goddamn slavers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Right, I suppose it's more "the existence of the Geneforge, which makes you go literally insane, is due to the Shaping arts existing" and also Shapers are goddamn slavers.

Yep, Shaper society is pretty monstrous. Especially for Serviles, but even things like Vlish or Battle Alphas have high enough intelligence to form tribal societies, speak etc.

But the rebels are not exactly anti-shaping. They're anti-Shaper which is a pretty important distinction.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

Yep, Shaper society is pretty monstrous. Especially for Serviles, but even things like Vlish or Battle Alphas have high enough intelligence to form tribal societies, speak etc.

But the rebels are not exactly anti-shaping. They're anti-Shaper which is a pretty important distinction.
True. Apparently there are Trakovites in 4 that are literally anti-Shaping, or at least anti-new-Shaping? Which is bullshit. gently caress those guys too. Maybe they will have a point if I meet them.

...okay spoil it for me are they named after Trajkov from 1

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

True. Apparently there are Trakovites in 4 that are literally anti-Shaping, or at least anti-new-Shaping? Which is bullshit. gently caress those guys too. Maybe they will have a point if I meet them.

...okay spoil it for me are they named after Trajkov from 1

Yeah. They, uh, are probably the most complicated faction in Geneforge.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why would anyone ever side with them?

I have bad news regarding "gamers" and nazis.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

Yeah. They, uh, are probably the most complicated faction in Geneforge.
Am I forgetting something about Trajkov's character? Were there actual dialogues if you learned enough of their language and I just missed that? Dude didn't really... have any character. He was just like "island has crazy powers, da, you people with shaping powers, da, give me magic gloves so I use Geneforgeski" or whatever?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Am I forgetting something about Trajkov's character? Were there actual dialogues if you learned enough of their language and I just missed that? Dude didn't really... have any character. He was just like "island has crazy powers, da, you people with shaping powers, da, give me magic gloves so I use Geneforgeski" or whatever?

Oh yeah, Trajkov was pretty simple.

Trakovites named themselves after him but its mostly a symbolic thing. They're a pretty distinct ideology.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, but nobody knows that. They just knew he fought against the Shapers. Myth and drift have done everything else.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

I have bad news regarding "gamers" and nazis.

I know you're just having a laugh but let's not go down the route of trying to compare shaper allegiance to nazi allegiance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FirstAidKite posted:

I know you're just having a laugh but let's not go down the route of trying to compare shaper allegiance to nazi allegiance
I mean, I appreciated it. It was a flippant yet semi-relevant answer (because they're ideologically rigid and see their creations as inferior to them regardless of their intelligence, etc)