Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

metallicaeg posted:

scrap the top vent altogether. I currently have the top vent blocked off on my all air setup.

yeah, I also have a s340 with aircooling and the top fan as an exhaust. All it does is create a thermal short circuit because the front opening sucks in all the hot air that the top fan exhausts. You can easily check this with smoke from a candle. I'm either going to block it or get an air filter and flip the fan for even more positive pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the short circuit you described is pretty great if you run a CLC in the front.
I have 3 fans in the front with the top two pulling air through the CLC and the bottom blowing air directly on the GPU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Maxwell Adams posted:

I've been doing some testing, and I'm convinced that directing some airflow right at your GPU fans is The Correct Way To Cool A GPU. Testing my RX 580 with Furmark, it gets up to 67° C with the fans at full speed. This is in a Thermaltake V21 cube case in my chilly New England apartment, so it's in pretty good shape without tweaking, although it does make about 50 dba of noise.

Putting a fan over the GPU cools it 5-6°. Setting the fan so it blows directly into the GPU fans cool it 5° more. That might be nice if I wanted to overclock, but I just want the system to be cool enough while making as little noise as possible. With the GPU fans at 60%, and the extra fan pointed at the card, I hit 67°, the same temp I got before with the fans at full speed. This setup was just 40 dba, though.

This seems like a pretty great result considering that the extra fan is just a Cooler Master 120mm I pulled off an old Hyper 212. I'm sure I could get better results with a proper 140mm airflow fan. I'm also wondering if in intake shroud could make things even better.

I have more experience with this than I should. It boiled down to "some like it, some dont". For example, Gigabyte coolers (3 fan orange accent common on Pascal cards) actually get hotter with a fan pointed at it, where as a Evga SC2 cooler ate it up and ran cooler in the same exact scenario. But a fan pointed at the side of the Gigabyte cooler worked where the Evga cooler did not. Both open air coolers of a similar general design, so it boiled down to aerodynamic voodoo.

Could also see pretty dramatic differences if you moved a fan 1 inch away. Or not! Some cards run better with no airflow whatsoever to make it as confusing as possible!

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
Will a 1060 play vr games? I really want to play lone echo but the 1070s are so expensive... And I also need a new cpu. I can't afford the big boys. :(

Edit: f u autocorrect

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

celewign posted:

Will a 1060 play vr games? I really want to play lone echo but the 1070s are so expensive... And I also need a new cpu. I can't afford the big boys. :(

Do you already been the VR headset? HTC has a Vive+1070+Fallout VR for $800. That's $200 off a 1070 with a free $60 game.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

celewign posted:

Will a 1060 play vr games?

Yes

celewign posted:

lone echo

Nope. That's one of the harder VR releases.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

celewign posted:

I use a laptop with a 1060 in it to play vr games on and have zero issues with it

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

eames posted:

yeah, I also have a s340 with aircooling and the top fan as an exhaust. All it does is create a thermal short circuit because the front opening sucks in all the hot air that the top fan exhausts. You can easily check this with smoke from a candle. I'm either going to block it or get an air filter and flip the fan for even more positive pressure.

Maybe we should be cutting holes in our desks and dumping all the hot air downwards through that hole. It would have the benefit of keeping your legs nice and warm.

1gnoirents posted:

I have more experience with this than I should. It boiled down to "some like it, some dont". For example, Gigabyte coolers (3 fan orange accent common on Pascal cards) actually get hotter with a fan pointed at it, where as a Evga SC2 cooler ate it up and ran cooler in the same exact scenario. But a fan pointed at the side of the Gigabyte cooler worked where the Evga cooler did not. Both open air coolers of a similar general design, so it boiled down to aerodynamic voodoo.

Could also see pretty dramatic differences if you moved a fan 1 inch away. Or not! Some cards run better with no airflow whatsoever to make it as confusing as possible!

See, this is why I want to get one of those aftermarket GPU coolers. They all have a nice space under them where hot air can get blasted out. I used my finger to try and find where the hot air was escaping my XFX card, and it seemed like most of it was leaving from the far end of the card near the power connections. That's the worst place for it to go, because then my air intakes are going to blow that hot air right back at the card, as well as my cpu heatsink! That's probably why my CPU temps go up a bit when I do a GPU stress test.

Before I go that far, though, I'm going to try taking the fan shroud off the card and strapping on a couple of decent fans. I know I'll get better results, but I'm curious to see exactly how much better it can be.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

celewign posted:

Yes, this should meet minimum. Don't expect max settings in everything though. What CPU?

Or do the Vive and 1070 deal. Slightly more power, competitive price to rift if you're in the upgrade and need headset club.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The rumor about Vega rebates expiring on the 4th appears to be correct, all in-stock Vega 56 cards have jumped back to $500+. :chloe:

(except for one XFX SKU on Newegg - if you want a Vega 56 in the near future I would suck it up and pay the extra $30 and don't dawdle about it)

So yeah, pretty much just a blatant scheme to manipulate reviews while the 1070 Ti was launching.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 5, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm still confused about those. I've been told elsewhere that I was viciously slandering AMD for calling this price manipulation, and that these rebates were because stores refused to sell them at the price AMD wanted, so AMD dug in and gave them $100 of free money to not charge that to the consumer instead. (Naturally, whether this is because AMD's price strategy leaves retailers in red ink by following their guidance is never discussed.)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Craptacular! posted:

I'm still confused about those. I've been told elsewhere that I was viciously slandering AMD for calling this price manipulation, and that these rebates were because stores refused to sell them at the price AMD wanted, so AMD dug in and gave them $100 of free money to not charge that to the consumer instead. (Naturally, whether this is because AMD's price strategy leaves retailers in red ink by following their guidance is never discussed.)

All the leaks I have seen from the board partners have indicated that the Vega chips are so expensive, along with the board itself being expensive because Vega is such a power hog, that it's impossible to hit the MSRP without losing money, thus the rebates.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

shouldn't have scrapped 2816 core Polaris for everything but the Bone X in 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

shouldn't have scrapped 2816 core Polaris for everything but the Bone X in 2015

Even that doesn't have them all unlocked; at 2560. What the hell, AMD, we could have had decent Polaris cards, but nooo

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

So yeah, pretty much just a blatant scheme to manipulate reviews while the 1070 Ti was launching.
Doing it once is bad enough, but at this point if I were a reviewer I would just start using the long term price for AMD cards in reviews. The one 1070Ti review I looked at pretty much said "at this price it's not breaking new ground", but I bet that would have been different if they used the no-rebate Vega 56 price.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What do you cool dudes do to prop up heavy video cards cause mine are sagging like hundred year old tits

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
My take is “I don’t worry about it unless it’s moving the fans off center and causing buzzing.”

Your GPU isn’t going to snap in half.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

codo27 posted:

What do you cool dudes do to prop up heavy video cards cause mine are sagging like hundred year old tits

Horizontal motherboard and a cube case. But I haven't seen return stats for bendy cards so I don't know for sure how much more likely it kills them, or not.

For sure it would amplify the effects of thermal cycling. But whether it would manifest in however long you want to actually use a card, don't know.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 5, 2017

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

codo27 posted:

You can always prop them it with some string. It's be ugly as hell, but hey, it only has to work well not to look nice.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Craptacular! posted:

This sounds like some hardcore actual fanboy make-it-fit kind of explanation. But it inherently makes no sense and all signs point to AMD trying to pull a nasty trick. Well, not tried...

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

codo27 posted:

I don't have this issue yet but if I did I'd try this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...UBIKZK3XGUQRLTP

Those GPU brackets that Puget System uses to stabilize their GPUs during shipping (and you can leave it in)

(this post is not affiliated with Linus Tech Tips in anyway)

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That looks like crap, like the prototype of something you'd homebrew to experiment with before you came up with a final revision that went into production.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

craig588 posted:

That looks like crap, like the prototype of something you'd homebrew to experiment with before you came up with a final revision that went into production.

There are other similar systems you can get that aren't lasercut plexiglass. Galax has that neat tentpole thing that comes with their HOF cards. I've seen similar generic systems as well.

Personally, I just got a card with a backplate and said good enough.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

craig588 posted:

No that’s this similar product: http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/case/case-accessories/universal-vga-holder.html

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reviewers are catching on at least

https://twitter.com/jkampman_tr/status/927260318207827970

https://twitter.com/jkampman_tr/status/927260715559383040

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

1gnoirents posted:

This sounds like some hardcore actual fanboy make-it-fit kind of explanation. But it inherently makes no sense and all signs point to AMD trying to pull a nasty trick. Well, not tried...

After board partners sold 480s at temporary launch pricing, some with half the RAM disabled, I’m guessing AMD is just as thoughtless about retail stores. When it comes to GPU pricing, they just seem to think board brands and stores should help them reach customers from the goodness of their hearts.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Newegg finally has Vega 64 in decent stock, if still slightly higher than MSRP. As such, it was time to trade out the Fury X with a Vega 64 Liquid to drive a 3440x1440 75 Hz FreeSync. Physically, the Vega is considerably longer than the admittedly squat body on the Fury X, but the LEDs and brushed aluminum look is rather striking and makes you somewhat forget it's running nearly the length of your case. Having tested it for the weekend I can say it really holds up well at that resolution - games like PUBG, Vermintide, Prey and Total Warhammer glide in the FreeSync range and look butter smooth at High/Ultra. Conversely, while the Fury did beautifully with EyeFinity and 1080p games, it started to show bottlenecking at 3440x1440 with dips into 30-40 fps in the heaviest scenes of modern AAA titles.

On the power side, I'm quite happy with the way it idles at 33-50 mhz and ambient temp (26 C), pulling a system total of 100-110W with the 6700K. At load it dynamically scales around 1600-1650 mhz, with temps at ~56 C and 400-450W system draw. That might bother some people, but since my rig is sitting a few feet from a 1500W space heater running full tilt from now until late spring, I'm not terribly concerned.

Overall, very happy with the pickup, now it's just a matter of time to grab a 4K FreeSync TV and/or pick up that Alienware 240 Hz TN panel. Only sticking point is that Fallout 4 couldn't break 36 FPS in either menus or games, but the GPU tachometer fluctuated wildly as if it weren't at load, so I'm guessing a CPU bottleneck.

ZobarStyl fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 6, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I was getting around 60 fps with a 2500k and a 1070 so I don't think your 6700k is bottlenecking fallout's fps.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Newegg just had a major Vega refresh, Vega 56 is now back in stock at MSRP. If you were waiting for it, go now.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Lockback posted:

I was getting around 60 fps with a 2500k and a 1070 so I don't think your 6700k is bottlenecking fallout's fps.
It's hard to describe what was causing the issue, since I kept editing the perf file to enable 3440x1440, which really screws with the loading screens and cut scenes. When it crapped out and came back at 1280x720 it still ran at that rate, so I'm a little hard pressed to know what the problem is. I need to try it again with the plugin from Flawless Widescreen running, but...I'd rather play PUBG anyway. I'll post if I get a fix on it and get the Vega's real numbers in FO4.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD may actually have some volume here. I wonder if this is another big batch - surely AMD can hear the same rumors about launching a 1070 Ti, and they contractually probably need to be producing for Apple and the compute market soon anyway.

Actually come to think of it, I'm real curious whether this second batch will still allow V56 to work properly with a V64 VBIOS and hit the same RAM clocks and all that poo poo. A lot of the value proposition of Vega 56 has been predicated on that, and AMD has done the whole "first batch is soft-locked premium cards, later batches are actually gimped for real" thing before.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 6, 2017

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
So nvidia just needs to re-release the 1070ti with a 15MHz core clock bump rebranded as the 1080LE at the same price in six weeks to troll AMD and force them to do another round of rebates.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just you wait for what AMD is coming out with next.
No way will be a reheated vega using 4k benchmarks on doom to show how competitive it is to something nvidia released a year ago

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Fauxtool posted:

Just you wait for what AMD is coming out with next.
No way will be a reheated vega using 4k benchmarks on doom to show how competitive it is to something nvidia released a year ago

no you shut up dad, Hawaii will swoop in and save the day once again

god, you're not even my real dad, you can't tell me what to think

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
So, uh, the Wall Street Journal is reporting (non-paywalled copy on /r/amd) that Intel will be releasing CPUs with AMD-derived integrated graphics, confirming rumors that have been circulating for the past year or so. Apparently they will be targeting the "gaming laptop" market with higher performance than the current Ryzen Mobile chips (which have 8-10 Vega CUs).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Mr.Radar posted:

So, uh, the Wall Street Journal is reporting (non-paywalled copy on /r/amd) that Intel will be releasing CPUs with AMD-derived integrated graphics, confirming rumors that have been circulating for the past year or so. Apparently they will be targeting the "gaming laptop" market with higher performance than the current Ryzen Mobile chips (which have 8-10 Vega CUs).
lol

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Intel Newsrooml posted:

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

[nervous shrugging emoticon man]

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
(((( WTF INTENSIFIES ))))

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmzuRXLzqKk[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco