Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thai massage parlors getting creative to make themselves stand out

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought

Bardeh posted:

Is that a food menu or massage menu?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pill Clinton posted:

Is that a food menu or massage menu?

mangoes are a very erotic fruit. particularly crad mangoes, those fuckers are filthy

E: you won't find Jackfruits on the menu at any of the mainstream places though - you gotta go underground for that. It's just a step too far for most

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 14, 2017

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
I have plans to visit Hoi An in January on a trip through Vietnam, should I think about planning something else instead? How badly was the city damaged?

Pill Clinton
Jun 4, 2006

Feast for thought
They cleaned up the town right after the storm. You would not notice any damages. The top officials from APEC visited the place on the 11th. It looked like the storm was never there.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yes, don't worry, I'm sure the cyclo drivers are already back harassing tourists for kilometers at a time - it's just like old times!

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Bardeh posted:

That look like someone badly translated the menu, badly wrote to the translation down, then handed it to the sign maker.

For those who are curious, it's a menu of various pounded salad (think Som Tam) items. I don't know why the translater chose penetrate for ตำ (to pound).

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
For the goon asking for Hanoi food, seconding bun cha on any street corner will do you right.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FortMan posted:

That look like someone badly translated the menu, badly wrote to the translation down, then handed it to the sign maker.

For those who are curious, it's a menu of various pounded salad (think Som Tam) items. I don't know why the translater chose penetrate for ตำ (to pound).
Soi Pradiphat in Bangkok is home to the best collection I've ever seen. Multiple restaurants have not just ha ha mistranslations, but lolollllllllll mistranslations like "Stir Fried Pork With Aborigines" or "Crab Makes The Whore Dust" etc. Aborigines is probably an honest autocorrect error, but I honestly can't figure out what translation program would mistranslate curry powder in Thai as whore dust since BY FAR the most common translation of กะหรี่ is curry, heh. Did pantip.com develop a poo poo translator or something?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Not that I can read that Thai but yellow=prostitute is sometimes a thing, if that references yellow

There was a common one in Chinese a few years back where a particular cooking method translated as "gently caress" with a particular dictionary, but that's largely died out by now

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Fortman might know better than me, but curry is a loanword and the word for curry is pronounced close to "ka-lee" and it also means prostitute (not sure if it's a homophone or just double meaning as slang). Interestingly, "curry powder" of the kind it refers to used in Thai cooking here is yellow, heh.

Not sure if coincidence.

EDIT: A few years ago a guy I knew had a girlfriend named Fern who hated the movie Ferngully for this reason.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Yeah, กะหรี่ (sounds like ka-ree) is prostitute, while ผงกะหรี่ (sounds like pong-ka-ree) is curry powder.

I guess it can still happen if you translate it word by word. Not all use Google Translate, sadly.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My favorite are the obvious human error ones where it's clear they did the translation on one location and then manually transferred the results to wherever they were making their menu.

Like the resort I'm at right now has "chilli" written as "cnilli" because they didn't realize there was a difference between h and n.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

Like the resort I'm at right now has "chilli" written as "cnilli" because they didn't realize there was a difference between h and n.

nice humblebrag

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Trust me, this place is nothing to brag about and I'm here to help run a camp for 200 spoiled middle school kids.

I leaned against a bench today and the back fell off. The pool has no water in it. The students are in rooms of 28 with 3 chaperones. The place is crawling with palm sized spiders. And none of the water heaters work. Also some of the toilets don't work.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

Trust me, this place is nothing to brag about and I'm here to help run a camp for 200 spoiled middle school kids.

I leaned against a bench today and the back fell off. The pool has no water in it. The students are in rooms of 28 with 3 chaperones. The place is crawling with palm sized spiders. And none of the water heaters work. Also some of the toilets don't work.

is it owned by someone connected to the school and thus kickbacks?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The guy who picked it quit the day after, do doubtful. It may just have been an act of spite selecting it before he left.

Oh, and a kid fell through a sliding glass door we noticed had been held together with tape only after he went through it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Sounds like home to me! :australia:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm gonna be in Mae Sot, Thailand, for like 3 weeks in December for my wife's work. It's not really a tourist destination, but does anyone know anything fun to do around there?

After that we're going to the beach (Somewhere, idk, leaning toward Koh Chang because it looks awesome and not trashy like Phuket). Would it be totally insane to take a bus from Mae Sot to Chiang Mai (6 hours), spend a day/night there, and then take a sleeper train down to Bangkok to catch a plane to the beach? Or are we gonna hate it and wish we had just flown straight out of Mae Sot?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Going back to Bangkok once again in mid January. :) I'm not really primarily going to BKK, but it's the easiest hub from Europe. I think I'll spend 3 days there, meetup with a friend and show him the nightlife, then go to Siem Reap for 4-5 days, where I haven't been before. I'll obviously do the Angkor Wat temple area for 2-3 days. I know it's super tourist crowded, but unless Khmer Rouge 2.0 happens, or Chinese tourism implodes, it's unlikely to get any better in my lifetime, so what the heck. I'm looking at hotels within walking distance of Pub Street / old market, and you can get seriously nice and modern hotels for around $40 per night. Based on google street view, the city looks cozy - not so many skyscrapers or traffic, that chill feeling. A bit like Phnom Penh, but I assume smaller and even more relaxed. My plan is basically temples during the day and drinking/nightlife during the evening and night. Can't go too wrong, I think.

Does everything worth eating and drinking in SR happen around the Old market / hospital / Pub Street triangle, or are there any other spots? I'm not really into the backpacker crowd, but I'm open to speaking to friendly people, be they backpackers or sexpats. Any recommendations for nightclubs/discos?

After that I'm going to Cebu to meet my girlfriend and friend+his girlfriend, and we will probably go to Moalboal after a day, to see my friend's plot of land and little house he built there with his pinay girlfriend. Moalboal is a nice little getaway from Cebu City, 2-3 hours by bus and you're in a quiet little beach resort (Panagsama Beach) with a slew of bars, restaurants, diving options, motorbike rental and super cheap beachside hotels.

As for BKK, strangely my main objective there is to go back to the side streets just a bit north of the Grand Palace and purchase the biggest hand-crafted bronze buddhist figurine I can possibly fit in my suitcase. I went there early in 2017 and had a look, but couldn't decide as I was worried if the sculptures were really Hindu or Buddhist. Turns out the two religious have quite a bit of overlap, and the fierce looking bird-man figuring I liked the most is sort of a hybrid between hindu and buddhism. Other than that, I guess I should get my rear end together and see the Grand Palace, or "gran palaad" as the taxi driver said the last time.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm gonna be in Mae Sot, Thailand, for like 3 weeks in December for my wife's work. It's not really a tourist destination, but does anyone know anything fun to do around there?

After that we're going to the beach (Somewhere, idk, leaning toward Koh Chang because it looks awesome and not trashy like Phuket). Would it be totally insane to take a bus from Mae Sot to Chiang Mai (6 hours), spend a day/night there, and then take a sleeper train down to Bangkok to catch a plane to the beach? Or are we gonna hate it and wish we had just flown straight out of Mae Sot?

Wikivoyage has a few things of, I'd say moderate interest!
https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Mae_Sot

The ancient ruins of Sukhothai are only a couple of hours away which sounds promising - they're a UNESCO World Heritage site so there's at least something to see there.

As for the beach, why not just get a bus from Mae Sot to Bangkok? I wouldn't bother doing a 6 hour hop to Chiang Mai just for a day, it's not really that interesting imo.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
A teacher woke up covered in ants. Good times.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I didn't know Camp Krusty was based off an real place.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
This is the lake for water activities.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

My favorite are the obvious human error ones where it's clear they did the translation on one location and then manually transferred the results to wherever they were making their menu.

I like it when they don't bother translating something and you just see something like

"A salad like a fruit no name very delicious 50 B"

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is the lake for water activities.

is one of those activities "getting infected"?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Apparently one of the conditions for us staying at that resort was them lowering the water level in the lake, but given the plant coverage I can't imagine it was very much higher than how we found it.

I imagine the conversation went like this:

Camp coordinator, staring at doctored photos on website: "Can you lower the water level to knee height?"
Resort operator: "Hmm, that'll be at least 20,000 baht, but we'll bring it down to ankle deep for no extra charge."
Coordinator: "Sounds like a great deal to me!"

This was actually a chain resort and apparently the other locations are amazing. Our prevailing theory is that this location ran out of money years ago and a bunch of squatters moved in and started running the place.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

webmeister posted:

The ancient ruins of Sukhothai are only a couple of hours away which sounds promising - they're a UNESCO World Heritage site so there's at least something to see there.

As for the beach, why not just get a bus from Mae Sot to Bangkok? I wouldn't bother doing a 6 hour hop to Chiang Mai just for a day, it's not really that interesting imo.

Thanks, I didn't know about that site. We'll definitely be going to Sukhothai if we get a chance.

The point of stopping by Chiang Mai is... I guess it's just to see a little more of the country. I like mundane things like fields and hills and shacks.

I wish one of the islands/beaches was really jumping out at me, because that's the hard part to decide. Everyone has wildly different opinions about all of them. I just want to chill on a nice beach and not be surrounded by too many people without spending too much money.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I like mundane things like fields and hills and shacks.

come to southern thailand, I'll hook you up

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

ladron posted:

come to southern thailand, I'll hook you up
I am in Southern Thailand (Trang) through Tuesday, where does the up-hooking take place?

Also, gently caress Chiang Mai. Go to Chiang Rai or somewhere else instead. There, I said it. Chiang Mai is massively overrated and everything cool about Chiang Mai happens in the countryside. Unless you want to learn Mandarin or open a dropshipping empire with your digital nomad buddies, of course.

Southern Thailand, on the other hand, is massively underrated - as is Eastern Thailand. Western Thailand is interesting too - you can base out of Kanchanaburi for ease of access as a tourist. Central, Northern and Isaan along with the mid-Southern area around the beaches and islands are heavily over-touristed.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

ReindeerF posted:

I am in Southern Thailand (Trang) through Tuesday, where does the up-hooking take place?

I can recommend some places in Nakhon, depending on what you want to do, but it'd be like a 2 hour drive to sit in the same bar you can sit at in Trang. Besides, I don't drink, soo.... but he was talking about seeing cows and fields and shacks and poo poo, so, I guess just open your eyes?

ReindeerF posted:

Southern Thailand, on the other hand, is massively underrated

shhh you idiot. wait until I leave before you make it new chang mai, trustafarian capital of the south

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

webmeister posted:

Sukhothai is excellent. I was there for a few days back in 2010, or thereabouts. A few friends and I hired bicycles and spent a day riding around all of the old city zones, but didn't get to whatever the place is that's a bit further out of town.

There is (or was) a killer night food market along the riverbank in "downtown" Sukhothai, and plenty of places to stay.

I'd go back, but my friends aren't interested and my girlfriend has been to Thailand TWICE and has "seen everything" and has no intention of going back.

That said, I'll probably be on Koh Tao again for a few weeks in January...

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Finch! posted:

I'd go back, but my friends aren't interested and my girlfriend has been to Thailand TWICE and has "seen everything" and has no intention of going back.

legit q - is she chinese?

edit - I'm not trying to be funny, it's just that that seems to be the same attitude as the Chinese people I have known, and judging from the china thread, the general populace...

ladron fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 19, 2017

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ladron posted:

legit q - is she chinese?

edit - I'm not trying to be funny, it's just that that seems to be the same attitude as the Chinese people I have known, and judging from the china thread, the general populace...

Ha!

Nope, she's a whitey Australian like me... and has done the typical whitey Australian thing of "Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Samui" and has no interest in seeing any more of the country. Been there, done that. Next!

We went to Malaysia last year. I've spent a lot of time there, but it was her first time. Loved it! So when I again found cheap flights to Malaysia when we both had some free time, I was pretty surprised when she wasn't interested because she's been to Malaysia and reckons she's seen all of the things. We didn't even get to Sarawak or Sabah, or Langkawi, or Melacca...

:sigh:

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Finch! posted:

Ha!

Nope, she's a whitey Australian like me... and has done the typical whitey Australian thing of "Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Samui" and has no interest in seeing any more of the country. Been there, done that. Next!

We went to Malaysia last year. I've spent a lot of time there, but it was her first time. Loved it! So when I again found cheap flights to Malaysia when we both had some free time, I was pretty surprised when she wasn't interested because she's been to Malaysia and reckons she's seen all of the things. We didn't even get to Sarawak or Sabah, or Langkawi, or Melacca...

:sigh:

I mean if she just doesn't like traveling, that's not my business, just asking

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
She sounds like a checklist traveler is all, and her list is countries, not all the possibilities within them.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ladron posted:

I mean if she just doesn't like traveling, that's not my business, just asking

She loves to travel, but we do it in very different ways. She's all about going somewhere new - new countries rather than just new places in a country she's been to before. I find a place I like and like to return and become more familiar with it. She thinks that's a waste of time, and can't understand why I'm so keen to head back to Koh Tao for the 30-somethingth time, despite having lived there for ages and having a fairly close connection to the place.

She doesn't camp, either. Nowhere to do her makeup in the mornings.

Atlas Hugged posted:

She sounds like a checklist traveler is all, and her list is countries, not all the possibilities within them.

Yeah, this is mostly correct but she's also a bit over Asia - she's been to Cambodia three times in the past two years on school trips (she's a teacher), Malaysia last year, and a week in Hong Kong for a conference earlier this year.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Finch! posted:

She doesn't camp, either.

I'm with her on this, gently caress camping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

ReindeerF posted:

Also, gently caress Chiang Mai. Go to Chiang Rai or somewhere else instead. There, I said it. Chiang Mai is massively overrated and everything cool about Chiang Mai happens in the countryside. Unless you want to learn Mandarin or open a dropshipping empire with your digital nomad buddies, of course.

Agreed. Chiang Mai itself is horribly busy and the traffic is loving hellish. I really don't see the appeal - sure there's tons to do outside in the countryside, but you could just come up here to Chiang Rai and do all the same cool stuff in the countryside and not be in this huge concrete hellhole with a billion cars and idiot Chinese tourists everywhere driving a motorbike for the first time. The nomad scene seems to be a few people who already had viable businesses before they ever arrived and moved because it's cheap and all the amenities you need are there, and then a ton of chancers who are trying to 'make it' as a nomad getting preyed upon by a ton of shady people selling advice and courses. If I had a better worth ethic and fewer morals, I could have probably made a ton by moving there and selling that same advice, but in the end I just couldn't be bothered.