Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Dallas PD already did though

A glorified RC car and autonomous are very different propositions though .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently Argentina lost a sub.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.1b788774b67f

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

And I just found out Argentina has subs. Serving on an Argentinian submarine sounds like one of the worst postings in existence, next to serving on an early soviet nuclear sub.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
And the navy hit something again.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/us-warship-collides-japanese-tug-boat-latest-mishap/story?id=51242298

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Don Gato posted:

And I just found out Argentina has subs. Serving on an Argentinian submarine sounds like one of the worst postings in existence, next to serving on an early soviet nuclear sub.

Could be on a North Korean sub...

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Maybe they will be found at the bottom awaiting dramatic rescue minutes before their oxygen runs out/CO2 kills em.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

INTJ Mastermind posted:

An early Russian sub modified by less technically competent and engineers and operated by less competently trained crew?

Yeah, that’s worse. At least Argentina has access to first world assistance for maintenance and training.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The sub was made in Germany in the 80s or 90s iirc. German diesel-electric subs are pretty good if you're a navy on a budget that just needs coastal defense stuff, not full blown boomers.

Now, what two decades in Argentine service implies I have no idea.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The sub in question at a jaunty angle.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

INTJ Mastermind posted:

At least the military is the first priority of the North Korean government. Don't imagine Argentina gives as many fucks as the Koreans do.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

xthetenth posted:

I thought drydocks had done away with careening. :v:

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

xthetenth posted:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I read that they've detected "failed satellite calls" from the sub on Saturday morning, local time. Would I be correct in assuming that they have a buoy with enough cable that they could run it to the surface to try and contact people, or would they need to be surfaced to do that?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I can almost guarantee this is a case of everyone on the sub saying "Jesus Christ this thing is not seaworthy" and being ordered out anyway

See also: USS Iowa turret incident, Bud Holland

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Memento posted:

I read that they've detected "failed satellite calls" from the sub on Saturday morning, local time. Would I be correct in assuming that they have a buoy with enough cable that they could run it to the surface to try and contact people, or would they need to be surfaced to do that?

I have no idea about the Argentine navy, but my vague understanding is that these buoys are usually self-ejecting and untethered.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Captain von Trapp posted:

I have no idea about the Argentine navy, but my vague understanding is that these buoys are usually self-ejecting and untethered.

assuming you don't weld the port shut so that you don't have to worry about one ejecting on accident during a real mission :science:

In fact, investigators learned that Kursk had been deployed to the Mediterranean during the summer of 1999 to monitor the U.S. fleet responding to the Kosovo War. Russian navy officers feared that the buoy might accidentally deploy, revealing the submarine's position to the U.S. fleet. They ordered the buoy to be disabled and it was still inoperative when the sub sank.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
IIRC there was a article recently about how the Argentine air force lost more aircraft to neglect during the Kirchner period than in the Falklands war, so I can't imagine their navy being in a better state.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That would be impressive if true. They lost almost all their planes in the war.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

North Korea appears to be working on ballistic missile subs.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Arms control wonk did a nice multi part podcast on them.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC there was a article recently about how the Argentine air force lost more aircraft to neglect during the Kirchner period than in the Falklands war, so I can't imagine their navy being in a better state.

So did the RN, for that matter.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yeah, looking at the actual British Falkands losses continue to surprise me, given what a victory it's touted as

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

simplefish posted:

Yeah, looking at the actual British Falkands losses continue to surprise me, given what a victory it's touted as

Never underestimate the British propensity to get all :britain: when it comes to ~preserving the Empire~ (or rather what's left of it :colbert:).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

C.M. Kruger posted:

The navy is in an equally parlous state, they get almost no sea time and training. Old ships, short of spares, expired ammo, almost no sea lift capacity.

The UK fleet is smaller than it was, but in terms of relative capabilites the Argentinian navy had fallen like a stone.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Sperglord posted:

A counter argument:
In a WSJ article written a few days ago, the reporter said that at a recent government sponsored robot trial, all the contenders failed to open a door...

A robot doing controlled tests is one thing, operating in a normal environment? I'll believe it when I see it.

Thats how you get there, I think people need to be able to show some problem everyone has that just cant be solved by anything but a robot like self driving cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PIJKE5KMtU

They're now in testing in the real world, with non-engineer users (Tesla autopilot on a widescale, Waymo on a small scale). It got there in only 10 years after the first "semi real world" test because at that point everyone said "this will let people not have to drive themselves" and it became obvious that the first people to monopolize parts of this (then) very small market will be rich.

Whats that for a robot that tries to be a human? The alternative only costs about $20/hr for businesses and can do very advanced tasks. How can it improve the mass market?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CarForumPoster posted:

Thats how you get there, I think people need to be able to show some problem everyone has that just cant be solved by anything but a robot like self driving cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PIJKE5KMtU

They're now in testing in the real world, with non-engineer users (Tesla autopilot on a widescale, Waymo on a small scale). It got there in only 10 years after the first "semi real world" test because at that point everyone said "this will let people not have to drive themselves" and it became obvious that the first people to monopolize parts of this (then) very small market will be rich.

Whats that for a robot that tries to be a human? The alternative only costs about $20/hr for businesses and can do very advanced tasks. How can it improve the mass market?

Tesla’s autopilot is not “driverless” testing “on a wide scale.” It’s adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist, and if you have a HW2 car it’s functionally not even as good older ones with off-the-shelf hardware.

GM/Cruise and Waymo are the ones leading this pack, not Tesla. Despite what the internet fanbois think.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

drgitlin posted:

Tesla’s autopilot is not “driverless” testing “on a wide scale.” It’s adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist, and if you have a HW2 car it’s functionally not even as good older ones with off-the-shelf hardware.

GM/Cruise and Waymo are the ones leading this pack, not Tesla. Despite what the internet fanbois think.

See I'm not really talking about self driving cars, I am saying they're here in only ~10 years since the first hacked-together tests because they're hugely useful to humans. They solve a problem for every human being that cannot be solved in any other way. Why are human-like robots hugely useful?

Re autonomous cars, I dont really care who wins however the following things are facts:
-Regular users who use autopilot provide information back to Tesla that are intended to be used in fully self driving cars.
-Tesla has "full driver-less hardware" currently in a huge variety of climates and use cases, which will help them test reliability and what happens when some are degraded. This is the best kind of risk reduction.
-Tesla has released a video of a fully self driving car prototype operating in a real environment scenario.

You should consider who of us is the "fanboi"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
You made a statement that was, at best, a gross exaggeration and got called on it.

Get your panties unbunched and move on.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Came for the airpower, stayed for the software developer slapfight

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

simplefish posted:

I'm not sure i've ever heard anyone touting it as a walkover, and I'm British.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Being an Argentinian pilot during the war must've been crazy. On the one hand they managed some major successes, but the casualty rate was pretty bleak.

e: I had a link to a paper here that seemed good but upon reading it it doesn't seem to add much over the wikipedia article

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 19, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Falklands are definitely an edge case but has there been any other war where casualties exceeded the population of the disputed territory?

Both sides combined totaled 904 KIA and 2,435 wounded over a 1980 census of 1,823 residents

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Falklands are definitely an edge case but has there been any other war where casualties exceeded the population of the disputed territory?

Both sides combined totaled 904 KIA and 2,435 wounded over a 1980 census of 1,823 residents

Probably depends on whether you count "before" or "after" population.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

feedmegin posted:

If the Argentinian Excocets had warheads that were just a little more reliable or at least as reliable as they were advertised it would have been Tsushima part deux.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

Throatwarbler posted:

If the Argentinian Excocets had warheads that were just a little more reliable or at least as reliable as they were advertised it would have been Tsushima part deux.

I don't think that was the case. They hit with three out of three or four air launched missiles launched, and 1 for 1 with the truck launched one. There were a large number of bombs that did not detonate, and the count of sunk or damaged British ships would have been much higher if their fusing issues were solved.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

simplefish posted:

"A drat close-run thing" would seem to be a realistic quote by the commander of the British land forces.

The Black Buck missions are fascinating - an amazing achievement but with generally minimal military impact. Usually overlooked, though, is the propaganda and morale effect it had at the time (this is from personal observation rather than any academic research).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

feedmegin posted:

Edit: Ninja'd by Clarence, right down to the same Wellington quote.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 19, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Probably depends on whether you count "before" or "after" population.

Also on how you define casualties. I can imagine that between 1939, 1944-45, and the intervening holocaust parts of Poland saw total deaths that exceeded pre-war populations.

edit: yeah, Sobibor alone was a small village near a rail spur before the extermination camp was set up there, many multiple times the population of the surrounding countryside was killed at that camp.

Plus I imagine there are dozens of individual battles (if you want to restrict it to purely military actions) where two armies killed the gently caress out of each other near a nothing-sized town. Fast googling shows Gettysburg had 2400 inhabitants in 1863 so that's an easy one right there.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 19, 2017

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also on how you define casualties. I can imagine that between 1939, 1944-45, and the intervening holocaust parts of Poland saw total deaths that exceeded pre-war populations.

edit: yeah, Sobibor alone was a small village near a rail spur before the extermination camp was set up there, many multiple times the population of the surrounding countryside was killed at that camp.

Plus I imagine there are dozens of individual battles (if you want to restrict it to purely military actions) where two armies killed the gently caress out of each other near a nothing-sized town. Fast googling shows Gettysburg had 2400 inhabitants in 1863 so that's an easy one right there.

Yeah there are shitloads of small towns in France where the same is true too (and the towns themselves don't exist anymore either).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Fearless posted:

Yeah there are shitloads of small towns in France where the same is true too (and the towns themselves don't exist anymore either).

Oradour-sur-Glane at night is creepy as hell. Or so I've heard.