Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

That is so amazingly dumb I want it to be real. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Three-Phase posted:

So just hypothetically what happens if you accidentally plug a motherboard HDMI output (integrated video) into the HDMI output cable on a separate video card on the same computer? Sort of like how some 3D acellerated cards had two VGA ports, an “in” and an “out” port?

I can only imagine nothing, though I've never tried it. Maybe itll explode? What about that anti aliasing hdmi cable? An unlimited loop of anti aliasing until a singularity is reached?

For real though plugging in an output into an input hdmi port should do nothing at all except throw you an bios pre post error at best

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, either TechReport are gone the way of WCCFT and now post even the most spurious of rumors as news, or it must have been a REALLY loving slow news day.

So salt now, etc.

....loving :sever: if true.

http://techreport.com/news/32855/rumor-december-radeon-drivers-will-bring-a-performance-osd

I mean...Threadripper.

Also, since this is monitoring software, GROK from earlier anyone?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When can we reasonably expect to see Raven ridge in laptops? I'm think of buying a thin and light style gaming laptop with a 1060. If Raven ridge is coming in the next 6 months I may just wait

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Fauxtool posted:

When can we reasonably expect to see Raven ridge in laptops? I'm think of buying a thin and light style gaming laptop with a 1060. If Raven ridge is coming in the next 6 months I may just wait

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-env...p?skuId=6124570

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The black friday ads out so far don't look great for GPU prices. For identical cards, looks $30-50 more than last year, and not anything massively better than what has popped up throughout the year. Newegg has the Strix 1080 for $510 though (which matches its sales earlier this year), but thats the only thing that I saw that looked enticing. Still a lot of ads to be released though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seems like a decent value
i was expecting a little more power. Intel+Nvidia it is i guess

is there anything in the very near future to watch out for in laptop graphics?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 19, 2017

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, either TechReport are gone the way of WCCFT and now post even the most spurious of rumors as news, or it must have been a REALLY loving slow news day.

So salt now, etc.

....loving :sever: if true.

http://techreport.com/news/32855/rumor-december-radeon-drivers-will-bring-a-performance-osd

Honestly, performance monitoring features own. I use MSI Afterburner + RivaTunaStatsServer to monitor my computers temperature. My Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti sometimes glitches out and doesn't run at full power in windowed fullscreen mode, which causes games to under-perform. I can notice it easily with the performance monitoring overlay without wasting time joining a game. A quick restart (or run games at fullscreen) fixes the problem.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

The Gasmask posted:

Regarding overvoltage - I've noticed when overclocking the Vega64, it tends to get worse benchmark numbers. Like, even a 50MHz core clock and 20MHz mem clock OC make my score drop noticeably. I haven't tried undervolting it, but I wouldn't be surprised if that gave me better numbers.

Try dropping the max clockspeed a bit (to 1624 or lower) and see how low of a voltage you can get away with before activity stops reliably hitting 99% (Can be <1130mv, the power level before seems fine ~1080mv), this will give you the thermal space you need to push HBM clock up to >1080mhz @ <1050mv.

The sapphire util has a nice thing for fan curves

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

seems like a decent value
i was expecting a little more power. Intel+Nvidia it is i guess

is there anything in the very near future to watch out for in laptop graphics?

That was on sale for 600 straight from HP a few days ago fyi. Would keep an eye out for them to drop the price again.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Prescription Combs posted:

That was on sale for 600 straight from HP a few days ago fyi. Would keep an eye out for them to drop the price again.

Even lower price now http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-x360-convertible-laptop-15z-touch-1za07av-1

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Ah jeez I just spent quite a bit of effort on sourcing a more or less bootleg Surface and this would have been a nicer option. Oh well

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

:drat: $538 w/ EPP.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I am a giant loving idiot, but I have a 1080 ti and I was curious if I could just like... mine... cryptocurrencies when I'm not using my computer. Yes I don't understand poo poo about how any of that works.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

Knifegrab posted:

So I am a giant loving idiot, but I have a 1080 ti and I was curious if I could just like... mine... cryptocurrencies when I'm not using my computer. Yes I don't understand poo poo about how any of that works.

There's a good crypto mining thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824394

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If anybody's wondering where the Volta production is going, they're building a supercomputer with 27,000 Volta GV100 GPUs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Rastor posted:

If anybody's wondering where the Volta production is going, they're building a supercomputer with 27,000 Volta GV100 GPUs.

The computer that destroys leading security protocols and removes all of our privacy is going to get such great framerates in FarCry 5.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Tom's Hardware: NVIDIA is pushing Ampere back to Q2 to use TSMC's 10nm.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 20, 2017

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
don't forget nvidia's margins on every single one of those chips/packages is a good deal higher than what they could ever squeeze out of the consumer market.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
That may sound like a lot, but its still maybe only 500 wafers worth-- 20 foups. Fabs run through 700-5000 of the things a day. Still, it could probably convert an 8k movie in a millisecond :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Has anyone tried streaming vidja gaems from Amazons GV100 cloud instances yet 🤔

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
With the whole cryptocurrency craze going on, what are considered good prices for the GTX 1060 6GB and the RX 580 8GB for this Black Friday? I would like to pick one up this week, despite prices being more inflated than last year.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ideal Paradigm posted:

With the whole cryptocurrency craze going on, what are considered good prices for the GTX 1060 6GB and the RX 580 8GB for this Black Friday? I would like to pick one up this week, despite prices being more inflated than last year.

Newegg has a 1060 6GB for $210 right now which is outstanding.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Rastor posted:

I also want to say that die shot of the power9 cpu is loving beautiful. That there is precision bespoke artisan engineering :stare:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

repiv posted:

Has anyone tried streaming vidja gaems from Amazons GV100 cloud instances yet 🤔

Sort of. People have run game benchmarks on them and they're about double Pascals.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I also want to say that die shot of the power9 cpu is loving beautiful. That there is precision bespoke artisan engineering :stare:
It is, it loving owns.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Knifegrab posted:

Isn't the memory on the 1080ti unsuitable for cryptocurrency mining? GDDR5x is approximately twice as slow as standard GDDR5 if I recall right.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Isn't the memory on the 1080ti unsuitable for cryptocurrency mining? GDDR5x is approximately twice as slow as standard GDDR5 if I recall right.

1080ti is the single highest mining GPU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You are correct. That said, the inefficiencies of it are made up for by the overall speed of the card, so a 1080Ti still mines faster than a 1080 or 1070. The reason the 1070 is so popular for mining is because it is the most cost-efficient. Compared to the 1080Ti, a 1070 mines at about 70% the speed while only costing about 55% as much.

But, yeah, you can still make ~$3/day on a 1080Ti with NiceHash right now, if you're into that sort of thing.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

DrDork posted:

You are correct. That said, the inefficiencies of it are made up for by the overall speed of the card, so a 1080Ti still mines faster than a 1080 or 1070. The reason the 1070 is so popular for mining is because it is the most cost-efficient. Compared to the 1080Ti, a 1070 mines at about 70% the speed while only costing about 55% as much.

But, yeah, you can still make ~$3/day on a 1080Ti with NiceHash right now, if you're into that sort of thing.

Probably closer to $4.50 or so, my 1070 is pulling $2.50-3.00 today.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

I must have missed it, it's showing $271 for me.

Is ZOTAC a lower tier GPU manufactuer?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

tehinternet posted:

Probably closer to $4.50 or so, my 1070 is pulling $2.50-3.00 today.

Yeah, it's +/- $1/day or so depending on fluctuations. The end result is that it'll make you some cash, but probably not enough to pay for itself by the time the 1100-series drops.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ideal Paradigm posted:

I must have missed it, it's showing $271 for me.

Yes, but for saving like 50 dollars (while it was still on sale) it doesn't matter much. There are general PCB standards they have to meet demanded by Nvidia, about the only thing they can go cheap on is the heatsink and fans. I got a Zotac 1080 on launch because it was the only one available and it has the worst fans I can remember in a "premium" product. I replaced them with Noctua 120mms and all is well.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Anyone with a 3440x1440 monitor have experience with using a gtx 1080? I know the resolution is pretty demanding, but I'm looking to hopefully upgrade from my 970 if there is a notable change. I'd like to avoid the extra $200 for a 1080 ti if the 1080 works well for other 3440x1440 users. With it being black friday / cyber monday coming up, I figured I should start watching for prices to drop.

Currently games like Shadow of War, or Witcher 3 I have to use a mix of medium / some high and hitting a stable 60 isn't always possible with my want to have things look good. I know part of this is the 4gb VRAM on the 970, but was the jump from 970 -> 1080 significant enough, or would waiting for next gen be the best idea?

I don't have any interest in a VR setup, and I don't think (?) i'm needing a 4k picture as I don't have a 4k monitor, but I'm an idiot with these things. I'm using one of these: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC97 and just want to maximize the display output for that monitor while at a stable FPS.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Ideal Paradigm posted:

The 1060 is such a lightweight part that it never gets hot enough to matter. If you were buying a 1080/ti you might care about the quality of a cooler, but the 1060 produces so little heat that it's not important.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

onesixtwo posted:

Anyone with a 3440x1440 monitor have experience with using a gtx 1080? I know the resolution is pretty demanding, but I'm looking to hopefully upgrade from my 970 if there is a notable change. I'd like to avoid the extra $200 for a 1080 ti if the 1080 works well for other 3440x1440 users. With it being black friday / cyber monday coming up, I figured I should start watching for prices to drop.

Currently games like Shadow of War, or Witcher 3 I have to use a mix of medium / some high and hitting a stable 60 isn't always possible with my want to have things look good. I know part of this is the 4gb VRAM on the 970, but was the jump from 970 -> 1080 significant enough, or would waiting for next gen be the best idea?

I don't have any interest in a VR setup, and I don't think (?) i'm needing a 4k picture as I don't have a 4k monitor, but I'm an idiot with these things. I'm using one of these: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC97 and just want to maximize the display output for that monitor while at a stable FPS.

I have a 1080 and a 2560x1440 144hz monitor. I don't even see the difference between 120 and 144 and I'm basically fine with playing games at only 60FPS, but even only trying to hit 60 I can't mindlessly max out games and hit 60. I'm going to get whatever the next gen is on launch because of that. (Also I get every new gen on launch, but I think I'd have a harder time rationalizing that if the old gen didn't run out of performance)

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1743?vs=1714

I think I'd wait, the next generation is probably only 4-5 months away.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

craig588 posted:

I think I'd wait, the next generation is probably only 4-5 months away.

Maybe closer to 7-8:

Volume production starting sometime Q1.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 21, 2017

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

onesixtwo posted:

The performance difference between a 970 and a 1080 is significant (about double, depending on game). I have a 1080 paired with a 3440x1440@100Hz, and the 1080 rarely lets me down. Hairworks in TW3 is still a stretch, but even a 1080Ti struggles to stay consistently above 75FPS at 3440x1440 with Hairworks and Ultra on TW3, so it's best to just forget it's even an option.

Short of that, though, unless you just HAVE to have everything pegged to the max at all times on every game, a 1080 can reliably hit 75-120FPS on current titles. Combined with GSync, that means excellent performance and experience all day every day.

If the sales bring a 1080 down to $450 I'd say it'd be a no-brainer to pick one up: sure, the 1170 or whatever they call it will probably match/beat it by a little, but with 1070's going for $400 right now, I'd bet the 1170 launches at $450ish, so you might as well enjoy your ~6 months of gaming in the mean time.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

onesixtwo posted:

That's the setup I'm running. I haven't gotten into The Witcher 3 yet, but aside from a few bugs in Destiny 2, I'm 70-100 frames at high/est mixed. Just got a driver update I haven't checked out yet that's supposed to help out a bunch with that.

I'm also running a G-Sync monitor, so YMMV. I'm completely satisfied with the combo, though. You may get better results with a recent i7 CPU as well, I went with Ryzen since work stuff likes the threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
One or both of the fans on my EVGA 1070 make a slight humming or buzzing sound when they spin up after I start playing a game and make that sound again after I quit playing a game and the fans spin back down. Should I be worried? I blew the dust out of my computer just over a month ago and even though the video card HSF still looked pretty clean I hit it with some compressed air anyway. The card tops out at ~68C under load so I'm assuming both fans are still working.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 21, 2017