Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
For what it's worth I run a 1080 on a 1440p (not as many pixels as an ultrawide still) and with Witcher 3 I have everything turned on except motion blur. I'm sure my frames drop with a pack of wolves all getting the full hairworks treatment, but I've never noticed with G-sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

spasticColon posted:

One or both of the fans on my EVGA 1070 make a slight humming or buzzing sound when they spin up after I start playing a game and make that sound again after I quit playing a game and the fans spin back down. Should I be worried? I blew the dust out of my computer just over a month ago and even though the video card HSF still looked pretty clean I hit it with some compressed air anyway. The card tops out at ~68C under load so I'm assuming both fans are still working.

Yeah that appears to be an EVGA thing (tm). Dont worry about it though unless you hear it outside of those exact conditions.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Doesn't this kind of push out Nvidia's 7nm release to late 2019? They seem extremely confident AMD can't touch them with GloFo/IBM 7nm, otherwise that's months of AMD, even with a worse perf/watt per node, beating Nvidia. Jesus Navi must be a dumpster fire.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
:rip: 780 ti

:(

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Looks like VRAM dying. EVGA lifetime warranty perhaps?

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Palit unfortunately, think it was only 2 year warranty, and I've had it since 2014.

Perfect excuse for a 1080 ti upgrade though

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
:rip:

At least by that time Zen refresh should be out, not like I have money set aside for a new build burning a hole in my pocket or anything.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Arzachel posted:

:rip:

At least by that time Zen refresh should be out, not like I have money set aside for a new build burning a hole in my pocket or anything.

RAM will be $100/gb at that point.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SlayVus posted:

Looks like VRAM dying. EVGA lifetime warranty perhaps?

EVGA hasnt' had lifetime in a long time.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Thank you for the replies, all! Sounds like I'll be keeping an eye out for a good sale after all.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

onesixtwo posted:

Anyone with a 3440x1440 monitor have experience with using a gtx 1080? I know the resolution is pretty demanding, but I'm looking to hopefully upgrade from my 970 if there is a notable change. I'd like to avoid the extra $200 for a 1080 ti if the 1080 works well for other 3440x1440 users. With it being black friday / cyber monday coming up, I figured I should start watching for prices to drop.

Currently games like Shadow of War, or Witcher 3 I have to use a mix of medium / some high and hitting a stable 60 isn't always possible with my want to have things look good. I know part of this is the 4gb VRAM on the 970, but was the jump from 970 -> 1080 significant enough, or would waiting for next gen be the best idea?

I don't have any interest in a VR setup, and I don't think (?) i'm needing a 4k picture as I don't have a 4k monitor, but I'm an idiot with these things. I'm using one of these: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC97 and just want to maximize the display output for that monitor while at a stable FPS.

I run that res on a 1080 and it can do 100FPS pretty easily in almost every game with everything (or nearly everything) maxed out.

The next gen probably won't be available until late second quarter next year. Don't know if you can or would want to wait that long. We don't know what kind of increases they will bring either.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Would a 1080ti be bottlenecked by a Xeon E3 1276 v3(4790 non-k essentially)?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not significantly.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
Does the RX 580 perform better than the GTX 1060 when it comes to Direct X 12 games? I'm leaning towards getting a GTX 1060, but so far there haven't been any good sales on them and the RX 580 has gone on sale twice now for a decent price (considering the mining craze).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I did some monitoring overnight with a kill-a-watt and when my computer is left to its own devices wtih nicehash, it generates 0.5 kWh, which unfortunately means I would not be turning a profit even with a 1080ti. Energy in San Diego is ridiculously expensive at $0.22 per kWh up to 339 kWh and then $0.40 per kWh after that.

So at my current rates of mining I would be barely making cents to the dollar and then after I hit the kWh threshold I would be actively losing money. Disappointing.

gently caress private power companies.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Are you using +150/+500 with 65% TDP? Otherwise the draw numbers are crap

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
That seems high even at 100% TDP since the card would only be using 250W, are you CPU mining as well?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tweet or Facebook post a moment from the Star Wars universe that references 1138 (prisoner transfer) and you could win a voucher to buy the Titan Xp for 11 bucks. US/UK/France/Germany only D:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ideal Paradigm posted:

Does the RX 580 perform better than the GTX 1060 when it comes to Direct X 12 games? I'm leaning towards getting a GTX 1060, but so far there haven't been any good sales on them and the RX 580 has gone on sale twice now for a decent price (considering the mining craze).

Some DX12 games favor Nvidia and some favor AMD, you should really just look for benchmarks for the games you are interested in because so far there is no clear winner when it comes to DX12. AMD's stuff does have more potential to be faster in DX12/Vulkan, but taking advantage of that potential is the job of the developers and in practice that can be a real mixed bag.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Knifegrab posted:

So I did some monitoring overnight with a kill-a-watt and when my computer is left to its own devices wtih nicehash, it generates 0.5 kWh, which unfortunately means I would not be turning a profit even with a 1080ti. Energy in San Diego is ridiculously expensive at $0.22 per kWh up to 339 kWh and then $0.40 per kWh after that.

So at my current rates of mining I would be barely making cents to the dollar and then after I hit the kWh threshold I would be actively losing money. Disappointing.

Tiered power usage is bullshit, im sorry to hear that. Yes at $0.22 per kWh you're barely breaking even on say a 500 watt use case, and at $0.40 you're losing a lot. Though 500 watts is a bit high these days, at those prices you're pretty much screwed if you hit the second tier.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Risky Bisquick posted:

Are you using +150/+500 with 65% TDP? Otherwise the draw numbers are crap

I'm a loving idiot when it comes to this stuff so I don't really know what this means I'm sorry :(

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You're supposed to use a tool like MSI Afterburner, and create a profile that speeds up your core clock +150mhz, memory +500mhz, and sets your power limit to 65% to reduce power consumption. That was to make mining more efficient, however your power costs are... not profitable.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm about to switch GPUs from NVIDIA to AMD, do I need to uninstall the drivers beyond simply removing anything related to Nvidia from the Windows 10 app menu?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm about to switch GPUs from NVIDIA to AMD, do I need to uninstall the drivers beyond simply removing anything related to Nvidia from the Windows 10 app menu?

you dont need to but you should run DDU in safe mode

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If only because if you have any weirdness the thread is immediately going to tell you to run DDU.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Knifegrab posted:

Holy crap your power costs are ridiculous. I'm sorry. I have a tiered system here as well but it starts at 0.077.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Knifegrab posted:

But hey, at least they'll be tearing San Onofre down instead of installing another batch of hilariously bad pipes that they didn't get a warranty on, which means you get the once in a lifetime opportunity to not only pay for deconstructing a nuclear plant hosed up by their own incompetence, but also to pay for energy imports from Arizona to make up the deficit!

Deregulation, hard at work!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Stanley Pain posted:

Holy crap your power costs are ridiculous. I'm sorry. I have a tiered system here as well but it starts at 0.077.

Are those all in? I'm also in SoCal, and there are costs for both generation and delivery, plus a per day fee just for being plugged into the grid. All in, my costs are 17.4c a kwh in the lowest usage tier. The middle tier bumps it up to 26c, and the high tier is 33c.

Should also note that due to low usage, I get a CA usage credit that essentially wipes out my bill. My last bill was 9 cents. Course if you were doing heavy coin mining (lol), you probably wouldnt be in the running for that.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
thinking of upgrading my gtx1050, and I am looking at some of these black friday deals, and I can't tell if they are good deals or not. Is a GTX 1060 6gb at 239 a decent price? or the 3gb version at 179?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's MRSP and slightly below MSRP. Upgrading within the same generation is usually disappointing unless your financial situation changed and you can go from the 1050 to like the 1080.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well, pleasant surprise when I powered on my PC this morning. GeForce Experience told me I had a free key for PUBG to redeem.

Been interested in trying it but haven't cared to buy it so getting it free was great. (It is also tied to GE and Steam, no key was shown just like GPU bundled games now.)

Thanks Nvidia! :v:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

joepinetree posted:

thinking of upgrading my gtx1050, and I am looking at some of these black friday deals, and I can't tell if they are good deals or not. Is a GTX 1060 6gb at 239 a decent price? or the 3gb version at 179?

3GB vram is a super dead end. The price for the 6GB could be ok, if it's not only of the mini models with one fan (it usually is)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
3gb will mean you will need to run low-med textures for some newish games. When you consider you can basically flip from low to ultra textures at nearly no performance hit, it doesn't make sense to save the money. You can lower all the other settings to improve fps but still keep great looking textures so your game doesn't look like CS1.6

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I posted how 280/280X/7950/7970 cards used a weird gap for the stock cooler a couple days ago. With the gap you can only used special one-off aftermarket coolers with those cards, unless you bought a shim.

Well I just found the EK copper shim I bought for my old 280X (and never ended up using). If anyone wants it send me a PM with an address and I'll send it off in the mail. First PM gets it. Doesn't feel right throwing it out since they were a very limited run, but I can't use it for anything.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

:thunk:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those are the sort of cool designs HBM makes possible. Occasionally other manufacturers have tried making PCBs with cutouts to try to move more air, but having no PCB at all is the best. Then blocking it with a back plate I don't know what they're doing, but backplates are easy to remove. It's probably because there was a wave of people excited about back plates because they care more about how their cards look than silence and performance.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Are there any manfacturers to be wary of for the 1050Ti? EVGA and MSI I've had cards from in the past that served me just fine for the 2-3 years I've had them, but I know quality can change a lot over that sort of time. :ohdear:

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nvidia has minimum PCB standards everyone has to meet. About the only thing they can go cheap on is the heatsink and fans, as long as you don't get a mini one the 1050 puts out so little heat that's never going to be an issue either.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Okay, I thought that's what the Greenlight thing was but it's cool to have a confirmation, thanks. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I had a mini 1070 and didn't have any heat/noise issues. No way a mini 1050ti would have them.