Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The one in my area has is jungle themed, complete with murals featuring nude natives behind the cash registers. Some time in the early 2000s they painted clothes on 'em, though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's a rollercoaster this one. Toys R Us UK might have been saved because of pension laws and stuff no one understands.

Or they might just be saying that because they want to get rid of existing stock in January and people are already spooked and not going in there because buying now means you have no warranty if they shut in a few weeks.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Today I went into a Kohls for the first time in years because they've now become a drop-off point for free Amazon returns.

Weird to see a dying department store strengthen Amazon's power even more. However if you return anything to Amazon, they give you a free 25% off coupon to Kohls and we ended up buying some coats for Christmas gifts so I guess the system works?

Kohls is in that market segment that's doing ok, at least from their balance sheet. They made around a billion in profit last year, maybe a bit more. They're in that whole Nordstrom Rack/TJ Maxx/Marshalls/whatevs discounter segment that everyone loves.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Kohls is in that market segment that's doing ok, at least from their balance sheet. They made around a billion in profit last year, maybe a bit more. They're in that whole Nordstrom Rack/TJ Maxx/Marshalls/whatevs discounter segment that everyone loves.

My wife and her friends all go crazy for those “60% off!” and Kohl’s cash games that I just do not like to play. I’ve checked her receipts and she’s actually getting stuff cheaper than anywhere else so I guess she’s playing the game right.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FCKGW posted:

My wife and her friends all go crazy for those “60% off!” and Kohl’s cash games that I just do not like to play. I’ve checked her receipts and she’s actually getting stuff cheaper than anywhere else so I guess she’s playing the game right.

Yeah that's the thing, you really do get cheaper prices in the end.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

fishmech posted:

Yeah that's the thing, you really do get cheaper prices in the end.

I worked there for a couple of years, if you invest the time and have the self control you can make out well, they mostly rely on the people without the patience or time for profits.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Dunno if it's relevant itt but i read a very lol article this morning about Subway expecting to close like half its stores because their food is rancid cheap garbage for pedophiles and nobody buys it so all their stores are underperforming, so they buy cheaper and less fresh produce to cut down on spoilage costs, so fewer people come back because their vomit-flavored chicken fucciatori sandwich was too gross and expensive.

They got the marketing guy who came up with $5 foot longs to comment and he went basically it was a horrible idea to turn your price into a meme because now they're hosed anytime they try to raise the price lmao

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

crazy cloud posted:

Dunno if it's relevant itt but i read a very lol article this morning about Subway expecting to close like half its stores because their food is rancid cheap garbage for pedophiles and nobody buys it so all their stores are underperforming, so they buy cheaper and less fresh produce to cut down on spoilage costs, so fewer people come back because their vomit-flavored chicken fucciatori sandwich was too gross and expensive.

They got the marketing guy who came up with $5 foot longs to comment and he went basically it was a horrible idea to turn your price into a meme because now they're hosed anytime they try to raise the price lmao

Well there's like 40,000 more Subway stores than need to exist because opening a franchise is dirt cheap. The company itself isn't really hurting, and the people who are running failing locations are hurting a lot less than if like a McDonald's went under and thus lost the owner a few million iirc.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Where else am I going to get a lettuce sandwich on soggy bread for $9? I'm certainly not making one myself, what am I, some kind of Iron Chef?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Ducks eat for free at subway

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've got like three Subways within walking distance of me, and I'm always amazed they're still open, considering how many better options there are for sandwiches around here. Even if you're sticking to chain places, Potbelly is superior in every way.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

crazy cloud posted:

this makes no sense, basically all subway locations are franchises. subway is the most ubiquitous fast food because of rock bottom franchising fees and startup costs. they couldn't possibly close half their stores because they don't own any stores, and you can't really force a franchisee to close. i mean it's possible but it's a bad idea

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

boner confessor posted:

this makes no sense, basically all subway locations are franchises. subway is the most ubiquitous fast food because of rock bottom franchising fees and startup costs. they couldn't possibly close half their stores because they don't own any stores, and you can't really force a franchisee to close. i mean it's possible but it's a bad idea

They are being closed by the franchisees because they're unprofitable, I think. Nobody wants to pay money for the privilege of running a poo poo tier sandwich stand I guess. I wouldn't do it if you paid me, so I can understand people being less enthused about spending themselves into oblivion playing at coldcut tycoon

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Also, completely unrelated to the current conversation, I scored a $750 Jil Sander sweater for 6 bux at the thrift shop today :smuggo:

vvvvvvv https://www.potbelly.com/menu Smallish chain, I think? Their stuff is fairly simple, but really tasty, and the staff is always super nice.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 23, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Crow Jane posted:

I've got like three Subways within walking distance of me, and I'm always amazed they're still open, considering how many better options there are for sandwiches around here. Even if you're sticking to chain places, Potbelly is superior in every way.

People must love the $5 sub thing, personally I'm okay spending $10 to have an actual good meal.

Also I've never heard of Potbelly, are they regional?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

exploded mummy posted:

Ducks eat for free at subway

in boise idaho at least

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Jersey Mike’s >>>>> Subway

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

Also I've never heard of Potbelly, are they regional?

I think they are mostly a Midwestern chain.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

WampaLord posted:

People must love the $5 sub thing, personally I'm okay spending $10 to have an actual good meal.

Sandwiches seem hyper regional. Like for a hamburger you can walk into any city in the US and rapidly find a hamburger that beats any fast food hamburger. Same with pizza or burritos or tacos or whatever. Good sandwiches exist everywhere. They aren't that complicated. But what sandwiches are common seems way more regional than other foods. Like I live a place that is super obsessed with a very specific version of "italian sandwiches" that I like a lot and are sold literally everywhere, but the more you wanna go outside that the more you kinda gotta know where to go. I would have to think to name a place around here to go get a good pastrami sandwich.

Like only hot dogs seem more extreme with "if you like a certain type then move you will literally never be able to get it again". Subways is bad sandwiches, but at least it's a pretty wide cross section of different types. Like pizza hut is awful and you should never eat there because if you want a sausage pizza there is always a better pizza place you can find by putting in literally zero effort that also sells sausage pizza because it's every pizza place that is better and sells that. If you are in the wrong area maybe you just can't buy cheese steak sandwiches and the bad subway one is it.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that was just a crazy old man rambling about food

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

redgubbinz posted:

Where else am I going to get a lettuce sandwich on soggy bread for $9?

Panera Bread.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

crazy cloud posted:

They are being closed by the franchisees because they're unprofitable, I think. Nobody wants to pay money for the privilege of running a poo poo tier sandwich stand I guess. I wouldn't do it if you paid me, so I can understand people being less enthused about spending themselves into oblivion playing at coldcut tycoon

Yeah, I think subway got huge by giving out franchises like candy but not bothering to make sure they were sustainable. I've heard mcdonalds and the like have much stricter requirements but are pretty much guaranteed to make money for the franchisee.

And yeah holey-moley owning a fast food restaurant sounds like hell on earth even if you made good money.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Where I'm at we have Potbelly, Penn Station, Quiznos, Firehouse, and Which Wich, all of which are solidly better than Subway. Maybe Jimmy John's and Jersey Mike's are better if you can put up with the chewy tasteless white bread.

Subway is just a completely tasteless lowest common denominator.

I thought the $5 footlong thing was supposed to be a short-term promo, and I've been hearing noise about franchisees hating it since it first started. It's not just that turning a price into a meme makes it hard to do anything with price, but that they did it with the biggest sandwich so it's hard to upsell.

Pekinduck posted:

Yeah, I think subway got huge by giving out franchises like candy but not bothering to make sure they were sustainable.
My favorite is that most franchise restaurants enforce "protection areas" where nobody else can open a franchise, but Subway didn't and claimed that having a ton of Subways everywhere would boost revenue via brand awareness.

I guess it could be worse, there are places where I can stand in the parking lot of a Waffle House and see another Waffle House.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 24, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Don't forget about whatever the gently caress fraud happened to stick almost as many mattress firms in an area as starbucks in Texas! Seriously, along 121 in the DFW/Frisco there are two Mattress Firms, 1000 feet away from each other across a bridge. And one of them has an independent mattress store next to it!

I was wondering about that before I read this:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/why-there-are-so-many-mattress-stores-everywhere-in-texas/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Don't forget about whatever the gently caress fraud happened to stick almost as many mattress firms in an area as starbucks in Texas! Seriously, along 121 in the DFW/Frisco there are two Mattress Firms, 1000 feet away from each other across a bridge. And one of them has an independent mattress store next to it!

I was wondering about that before I read this:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/why-there-are-so-many-mattress-stores-everywhere-in-texas/

Mattress Firm definitely bought out a few mattress retailers in the past few years (some of whom had themselves recently bought out competitors) so some of that effect is likely to be from that too. There are some places around where I've lived where there's now two Mattress Firms very close together but one used to be a Sleepy's.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
One I could never figure out was that Fresno had two Sports Authorities, a big-box sporting goods store, across the street from each other. One, Two.

Oh yeah and there's an REI in an adjacent plaza too.

Going by their history, I'm guessing one was a merger leftover that they rebranded instead of closing for some reason. Sports Authority went under though, so now one's a Dick's and the other's a farmer's market.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 24, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
God bless you all, let me tell you about Greggs. Greggs put Starbucks in Seattle to shame in every single town in the UK. Before the council said stop this is now silly I used to be able to stand on one corner and see 5 Greggs, and this is a town with one tiny high street.

Don’t believe all the memes, Greggs sausage rolls are low quality shite, like you can go in the supermarket next door and pick up 5 for £1 and they would be exactly the same. The only difference is that Greggs sausage rolls are slightly warm. :/

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

learnincurve posted:

God bless you all, let me tell you about Greggs. Greggs put Starbucks in Seattle to shame in every single town in the UK. Before the council said stop this is now silly I used to be able to stand on one corner and see 5 Greggs, and this is a town with one tiny high street.

Don’t believe all the memes, Greggs sausage rolls are low quality shite, like you can go in the supermarket next door and pick up 5 for £1 and they would be exactly the same. The only difference is that Greggs sausage rolls are slightly warm. :/

I once had dinner in a really good coffee shop with someone, and she got a sausage roll. It was a really good sausage roll, not some bland reheated garbage (I tried a piece). She said it was terrible and couldn't compare to a good sausage roll like you'd get at Greggs.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

Edge & Christian posted:

Not Fooling Anyone is a pretty great website compendium of all of these sort of Dimple Donuts/Veggie Castle/etc. locations.

Heh veggie castle. Is White Castle dead yet? My single experience was getting some sliders at one in Chicago and then having explosive diarrhea for 6 hours.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

learnincurve posted:

That’s pretty dense, but Canada has that beat.

I’ve seen three Tim Horton’s in the same food court.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

PT6A posted:

That’s pretty dense, but Canada has that beat.

I’ve seen three Tim Horton’s in the same food court.

Saskatoon has two full-size Timmie's right across the street from each other.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The University of Alberta sciences building, had at my last visit, two tims on the main floor about 50 feet apart with lines wrapping around the building for both, and another one just down some stairs which was also busy. TH makes people lose their goddamned minds.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Ganson posted:

Heh veggie castle. Is White Castle dead yet? My single experience was getting some sliders at one in Chicago and then having explosive diarrhea for 6 hours.
Veggie Castle is sadly gone, but White Castle lives on with like 400 locations. I also have no love (but also no diarrhea) for White Castle, but looking them up they are a company in stark contrast with many of the retailers in this thread. White Castle doesn't franchise, and the family that has privately owned them for like 100 years doesn't believe in taking on debt to expand, and generally acting like people who want to build a sustainable business of selling lovely hamburgers, not just vulture capitalists looking to suck the life out of the lovely hamburger business. Their VP was doing the rounds last year fighting against minimum wage increases though so don't fall in love with them or anything.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Saskatoon has two full-size Timmie's right across the street from each other.

Does the street at least have a median or something?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Don't forget how a lot of White Castle's business is selling those frozen sliders at supermarkets all over, far from any actual restaurant locations. Good way to turn a buck with low ongoing costs.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Starbucks has been getting less saturated lately, and have been buying out the Burger Kings in my town to become drive through locations.

blowfish posted:

I once had dinner in a really good coffee shop with someone, and she got a sausage roll. It was a really good sausage roll, not some bland reheated garbage (I tried a piece). She said it was terrible and couldn't compare to a good sausage roll like you'd get at Greggs.

The last sausage roll I had was freezing cold from a stall outside King's Cross. It was nice.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Does the street at least have a median or something?

Yeah, I just checked google to confirm it does. It also looks like one of the locations moved from the mall parking lot to inside the mall since I was last there.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
There are 6 TM within 20 minutes walking distance of each other in the uptown area of my small Canadian city.

Not all bad though. We have a local coffee place called Java Moose that is infinitely better and offers good loose tea.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

A little late to the game, BUT... I'm visiting Toronto at the moment and am very excited about Canadian shopping experiences.

So far I've tried Tim Horton's (fine, like Dunkin Donuts. Donuts might be marginally better at TH)
Shoppers' Drug Mart (very good! We went to the one that's an old theatre.)
Loblaws (very nice! disappointingly dissimilar to anything from Arrested Development)
Walmart Supercentre (as bad as a walmart in the states, approximately)
LEE VALLEY IS THE BEST STORE I HAVE EVER BEEN IN. We also got all their catalogues.

I'm very excited about going to Canadian Tire but I haven't gone yet. :3:

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The first thing I did when I was on a layover in Vancouver while going to Victoria in 2010 was go to the Tim Horton's at the airport.