Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Anyways, I'll shut up about Pmush. Only reason I was going on about my opinion of her at this point is because that was the sole reason people were pointing their fingers at me. I defended her at first to tell people that role reveals aren't necessarily terrible, if still a dumb idea.

I've only kept up since then because these guys are using it as "proof" that I'm scum. An explanation of my thinking was called for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Truth Quark posted:

Though Tobbs I will say I have had the same thought as you re: giving Slaan the benefit of the doubt if he is new. The biggest reason why my vote isn't on PMush right now is that I don't want to rush that vote with so many people still posting opinions.

It's definitely good to have the ramp up in posts leading to hammer, but last I checked she was at -6 and I'm really convinced she's scum, so I'm more afraid of scum getting the vote switched to someone more townie (gamer with his seemingly genuine but terrible opinion that I'm scum, or claimed first time player Slaan).

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Eh, after reading I think Slaan might be best pick.

P Mush strikes me as uninvested town at this point. internet troubles, the hassle of mobile researching, maybe big game day 1 content overkill. I hate big games, but love Pod soooo here I am, but yeah. I don't think P Mush is scum.

My suspicion meter for MMT is all over the place. I'll read 5 posts that make me think she's definitely town, and then one post that undoes that. The speculation about P Mush resonates with how I feel about them, but I think this is framing. Other than dispelling Kash's argument on Tobbs, I can't help but get a bad vibe from MMT.

GotG ehhhh maybe town, I feel less bad about them.

I think Slaan is a better pick because of an apparent scum slip in informed knowledge.

##vote Slaan

I'll check in periodically before deadline, but I got a long commute coming up in 20 minutes.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

poo poo I just said

Almost goofed and edited, but to clarify the informed knowledge revolves around some extra mechanics stuff.that doesn't seem clearly delineated in the appendices or in my own role so :shrug:

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Almost goofed and edited, but to clarify the informed knowledge revolves around some extra mechanics stuff.that doesn't seem clearly delineated in the appendices or in my own role so :shrug:

I'm curious about this, what insider knowledge does it seem that he has?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I'm curious about this, what insider knowledge does it seem that he has?

Eh, I'm probably honing in on something stupid.

##unvote

I was misreading his interpretation of scum melee row mechanics, and its in contradiction with the rules so it's unlikely that was the slip up I thought it was.

I still don't feel great about him, but my own misunderstanding of his misunderstanding was why I thought he was scum.

However, I will say that I probably won't vote for P Mush for my previous given reasons in spite of thinking their play bad, I think it was just phone post skimming because of you know, other things. Which I'm guilty of myself.

Out of the leaders, Gamer is my next choice because I still think they've given little to nothing of use to the thread while generating suspicion for themselves.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I was hoping PMush would come back and say more but oh well ##vote PMush

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Would also vote 50 pounds probably, I don't think they are town, but that's not coming up so much right now.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
##vote Gamer

OK, getting ready to head home and such. I'll try to be back.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Eh, I'm probably honing in on something stupid.

##unvote

I was misreading his interpretation of scum melee row mechanics, and its in contradiction with the rules so it's unlikely that was the slip up I thought it was.

I still don't feel great about him, but my own misunderstanding of his misunderstanding was why I thought he was scum.

However, I will say that I probably won't vote for P Mush for my previous given reasons in spite of thinking their play bad, I think it was just phone post skimming because of you know, other things. Which I'm guilty of myself.

Out of the leaders, Gamer is my next choice because I still think they've given little to nothing of use to the thread while generating suspicion for themselves.

Phone posting is a pain for sure but I don't think the idea behind what PMush was doing would change if posted on something more friendly.

I still don't see what the issue with gamer is, there are some posts in their history that don't seem like scum at all

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Would also vote 50 pounds probably, I don't think they are town, but that's not coming up so much right now.

This was actually my next thought, maybe it is residual fifty-meta but he he's giving me that bullying scum vibe pretty good

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The "it'd be silly if melee front line scum couldn't hit their own back/side" post? I'd quote it but :effort:. Phone posting atm

Just trying to say that there would likely be scum abilities that break the normal rules. Like the apparently fully accepted ability to hit back row to back row that was revealed earlier. So a scum that can hit the back row from the front row with shine and/or with a negative damage modifier. People were going against Tobbs with a rules based argument, so I was trying to point out the rules on the OP were probably breakable to some extent, especially as Podima had said he was trying to not have players use back/front row as a scum indication like a previous game did.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Ok. Phone posting, but other thread is done. Let's get to battle.

##vote pmush

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Having to leave sooner than I expected so I haven't finished catching up like I hoped. Since this was asked for, top 3 scum reads:

1) ##vote Slaan Gonna just quote GeneX here because the summary is perfect and everyone should see it again imo

GeneX posted:

Slaan, because he a) had an incomprehensible vote on Kashuno for metagaming when Kashuno was doing the opposite, b) in his immediate next post implicitly asked for mechanics spec, c) completely ignored Truth Quark questioning that vote, d) reversed course on how he mechanically justifies tobbs' claim by now making it about many people claiming, e) hedged on his support for tobbs, and f) immediately tried to justify away another claim, this time by invoking wine, "gaining information", and asking this: "Question: What scenario can you guys think up where knowing this ability hurts us and helps scum?" which is literally asking town to help scum out

In sum: encouraging/supporting claiming, voting with bad reasoning, and hedging on everything but mechanics chat

2) Murmur Twin. Going back to this case on TQ

Murmur Twin posted:

Likewise, I'm not sure I buy that TQ's case on Slaan is genuine. It evolves (bolded above) in order:

1. He called people out for setup spec and voted for Kash, and then did it himself
2. He agrees with Tobbs that revealing info was fine
3. He's avoiding answering TQ's questions
4. He's rolefishing / trying to get town to give up information

There doesn't seem to be a consistent read here. To me it looks like he just decided Slaan is scum and now is throwing out everything he can to convince other people.

I feel like his town read on Tobbs contradicts his case on Slaan.

Click through to see the post TQ made and such. MMT is criticizing TQ for calling out Slaan for multiple scummy things, saying "it's not consistent." But read the four points she makes. They're pointing out different types of scummy behavior. Calling them inconsistent would be like criticizing baseball scoring and football scoring for not being consistent in a discussion about types of scoring in sports. This criticism doesn't make sense to me. She doesn't call the points wrong, she just attacks them for not being related enough even though scummy behaviors don't have to be related to one another.

3) Quid. I have a strong gut read on Quid, and I like to think I can read him pretty well. Obviously gut is not full proof or anything, but the last time or two I felt this strong about Quid's posting I was right.

Ok, headin out now. I'll finish catching up during night to have some posts ready to go when the next day opens. I'm in a plant all week this week, but it's a pretty slow week so should be able to check in on days more frequently. Apologize for going missing, just wasn't in the right head space to play mafs.

If everyone promises not to tell Mrs Slord, I'll excuse myself from dinner at 5 til deadline to put a vote down in case things have stalled.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I still want to lynch Slaan but we're at less than 2 hours to deadline, I'm on my phone, there'd need to be 8 more votes for him, and I'll be gone for dayend

so ##vote PMush

someone post the votefinder stuff, I want to do some vote analysis stuff tomorrow, maybe

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

The tidbit of PMush clearly following the other thread while making excuses about ours is pretty damning. Her being frustrated and unengaged isn’t really alignment indicative to me, but there’s no reason for her as frustrated town to be closely following the other thread. I think that’s the strongest catch in all of this and it does tip me over, especially since she hasn’t come back to say anything else.

Bread is my number two right now. I can not reconcile him putting me and Kash together as scum without COMMENTING on that. I could totally see him saying we were faking it, but...he didn’t? His response about his scumpicks really looks to me like he panicked and picked two of the high volume posters in the thread, forgetting that we spent a lot of last night going at each other. He would actually be my first choice today if we weren’t so close to deadline.

I’m cooling on Kash but I’m not sure if that’s because I realized I was wrong about a single thing and am conflating that with being wrong about him completely. I don’t think I am, though, and he’s probably town at this point. His picking at me is grounded in fact and doesn’t feel like just trying to get my goat anymore, just trying to see if I’m being genuine or not, and that to me says it’s probably him coming from a town mindset.

I’ve been so exhausted today at this point I don’t know that I could pick a third without using my feelings from like three IRL days ago and I’m probably not gonna read back much tonight. I’ll try to keep up with stuff from this point for the last hour but yeah.

##vote Pmush

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

King Burgundy posted:

Ok. Phone posting, but other thread is done. Let's get to battle.

##vote pmush

I super super hope b- is Texan because I'll have an IRL morale boost if Bif railroaded the advisor she herself chose only for him to flip town.

Don't answer this though I want it to be a surprise.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Better to get Pmush than let the Texans pick the lynching target even though I suspect gamer more

##unvote

##vote Pmush

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Alright, time to get this done.

##vote PMush

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: I say, chap, that appears to be the crimson mallet for PMush Perfect.

:beerpal: Votecount for Day 1 :beerpal:

PMush Perfect (13): Kashuno, OMGVBFLOL, Moatillata, Your Personal Muse, Tobbs Gnawed, Monathin, The Lord of Hats, Hal Incandenza, King Burgundy, GeneX, Quidthulhu, Slaan, TMMadman
Slaan (4): 50 pounds of bread, Gamerofthegame, Truth Quark, Gamerofthegame, 50 pounds of bread, Truth Quark, GeneX, Flying Leatherman, Truth Quark, Gamerofthegame, Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam, chaoslord, GeneX
Gamerofthegame (3): Murmur Twin, Max Peck, Monathin, Monathin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Monathin, Tobbs Gnawed, Tobbs Gnawed, Monathin, King Burgundy, Slaan, Anomalous Amalgam, King Burgundy, Slaan
The Lord of Hats (1): GeneX, GeneX, 50 pounds of bread
Kashuno (1): Truth Quark, chaoslord, Max Peck, TMMadman, 50 pounds of bread, chaoslord, 50 pounds of bread, Max Peck, Slaan, Truth Quark, TMMadman, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, 50 pounds of bread, PMush Perfect, Quidthulhu, Slaan, Murmur Twin, 50 pounds of bread, Quidthulhu
Tobbs Gnawed (0): Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu, PMush Perfect, Kashuno, Monathin, Quidthulhu, Gamerofthegame, PMush Perfect, Kashuno, Quidthulhu, Monathin, Gamerofthegame
TMMadman (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
Quidthulhu (0): chaoslord, Tobbs Gnawed, Truth Quark, Tobbs Gnawed, Truth Quark, chaoslord
chaoslord (0): Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin
CCKeane (0): King Burgundy, King Burgundy
50 pounds of bread (0): Slaan, Slaan, Tobbs Gnawed, The Lord of Hats, Tobbs Gnawed, The Lord of Hats
Truth Quark (0): GeneX, GeneX
SalTheBard (0): Hal Incandenza, Hal Incandenza
GeneX (0): OMGVBFLOL, Kashuno, OMGVBFLOL, Kashuno
Your Personal Muse (0): Tobbs Gnawed, Tobbs Gnawed
OMGVBFLOL (0): GeneX, GeneX
Anomalous Amalgam (0): Quidthulhu, Quidthulhu
Murmur Twin (0): TMMadman, chaoslord, chaoslord, TMMadman

Not Voting (3): CCKeane, IllegallySober, SalTheBard :rubshands:

With 25 people still alive, it takes 13 votes to execute.
The current deadline is January 02nd, 2018 at 8 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 hour, 32 minutes.

:cheers: First day back to work means no extra flavor today, but one last reminder - all Day ability usage MUST be entered into your character sheet BEFORE your thread hammers for it to count! :cheers:

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
:redhammer:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:cheers: Day action submissions for this thread are now LOCKED, please don't update them or submit any new ones. Twilight posting is OK. :cheers:

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

twilight posting is ok unless Podima hates our thread for some reason

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

twilight posting is ok unless Podima hates our thread for some reason

Owned by a minute

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Slaan posted:

Owned by a minute

Post times aren't delineated by seconds so it could have been less time :crossarms:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Uh, that happened really fast.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

:f5:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

CCKeane posted:

Yeah

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

CCKeane posted:

I'm comfortable with it. It shows the power of a leader's locked-in vote.

The other thread was crazy. Bif pulled b- out of nowhere and he was hammered with zero resistance.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I'm comfortable with it. It shows the power of a leader's locked-in vote.

The other thread was crazy. Bif pulled b- out of nowhere and he was hammered with zero resistance.

I'm not.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Well so much for me following how the final hours go lol

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

CCKeane posted:

Keep in mind I was asking for the hammer at that point. People just listened. It happened only slightly faster than I expected/hoped.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Quid was obviously writing his post for a while and I have to go in 5 minutes but I’m looking even harder at Slaan right now

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CCKeane posted:

I'm not.

Tough

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

King Burgundy posted:

Keep in mind I was asking for the hammer at that point. People just listened. It happened only slightly faster than I expected/hoped.

Noted, but I don't think it's the wisest play.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Here is why:

-Drawing out the hammer maximizes discussion and forces additional opinions to be laid out/challenged

-KB is confirmed town but isn't infallible, following his lead strongly and encouraging the thread to follow his lead can discourage dissension and can also mean that scum need to fool KB instead of the entire town.

-Day abilities are no longer viable - this can go either way, obviously, but I am inclined to think this hurts town abilities more than scum abilities. (This is a weaker point.)

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

CCKeane posted:

Here is why:

-Drawing out the hammer maximizes discussion and forces additional opinions to be laid out/challenged

-KB is confirmed town but isn't infallible, following his lead strongly and encouraging the thread to follow his lead can discourage dissension and can also mean that scum need to fool KB instead of the entire town.

-Day abilities are no longer viable - this can go either way, obviously, but I am inclined to think this hurts town abilities more than scum abilities. (This is a weaker point.)

It was only a handful of votes at the end but I begrudgingly admit these are decent points

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

CCKeane posted:

Here is why:

We are ~1 hour from deadline and the only player prevented from posting (PMush) checked out hours ago. Sure, it affects day actions, but unless I'm remembering incorrectly KB warned us to get those in a few posts ago.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

My bad for not coming back faster, was figuring deadline would take a little longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Mafia edit: by deadline I meant hammer.

• Locked thread