Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Quick question, not sure if there is a solution here, but I already have 4GB, NVAC, and Stutter remover, but recently, since finishing Dead Money and getting back to the Mojave, I'm running into a complete freeze bug every 15-20 minutes while walking around the Mojave. Sometimes it occurs just from turning around too fast. Turned my mouse sensitivity all the way down, still encountering the problem. Any fixes or suggestions?

I did recently install a few new mods before leaving the Dead Money, New Vegas Bounties II, the hotfix, The Inheritance, and Wasteland uncut (Which I thought was already activated, but was grayed out on the Nexus Manager list. Made sure my load order was sorted by LOOT.

Does it have to do with quicksaving too much?

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Does it have to do with quicksaving too much?

no, but as a general rule, NEVER EVER install or uninstall mods midway through your game.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

no, but as a general rule, NEVER EVER install or uninstall mods midway through your game.

Mm, I should've thought of that. I kept a few uninstalled because they were sequels to others, and didn't want them activated until later.

Guess it's time for another run! I do enjoy those.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm working up a new mod list for my next play through as I wrap this one up. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some major change mods to make the game generally crazier or wildly different from the base game.
I'm going to be playing with project Nevada as well in case you suggest something with compatibility issues.

I was looking at IWS or Warzones for starters, and maybe bagging some of the gunetwork overhauls from various sources. I'd rather not deal with too many quest mods since amateur voice acting pains me, but I was wondering how Autumn Leaves is.

I also think I'll drop weapons of the new millennia and only add one or two of his guns so I can toss in some more wacky firepower instead of modern military hardware.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 2, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

autumn leaves is good, deimos is ok, puce moose's trilogy is good

the only big encounter overhaul id avoid is awop unless you love bullet sponges and sewers

also the last time i played it, it had a completely separate loot scale. By that I mean I walked in and got a "Strong" 10mm handgun that had the stats of a bazooka, because apparently it's balanced around that. Momod is similar to that

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Someone released a weapon inertia mod, in a few more years of modding this game is gonna start feeling like a first person shooter or something.

EDIT: And for third-person users, a diagonal movement mod. Looks like it isn't compatible with NVEC yet but author says they'll patch it this week, hopefully.

Crindee fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 3, 2018

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The VO in Autumn Leaves, with one major exception, is very good, but the last one is grating and awful and sucks. Unfortunately, there's all of five NPCs in Autumn Leaves, so that's a solid fifth of the voice work. :v:. I played through it once and enjoyed it. I do not think I would play it again.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Crindee posted:

Someone released a weapon inertia mod, in a few more years of modding this game is gonna start feeling like a first person shooter or something.

God drat Xilandro needs to release B42 already.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The quickloot mod is so, so good. I don't even want to think about how many hours of my life I spent opening each individual container throughout the entire game world. Just started a playthrough with the full Covergence suite and Increased Wasteland Spawns, and its really awesome. I expect everything to break spectacularly in ways that won't be obvious for hours to come, but for now I've gone through Primm with everything functioning exactly as I intended it to. The Solid Project is also very good, especially because it doesn't appear to conflict with anything (except Project Nevada's sprint, which is easily disabled). I'm really happy with my load order now. I also really like New Vegas Redesigned 2. Even if I end up running into some skeevy poo poo later, the fact that everyone looks like regular people far outweighs that downside.

Here's my load order if anyone was curious:

code:
FalloutNV.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
HonestHearts.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
DeadMoney.esm
TribalPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
ClassicPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
FOOK - New Vegas.esm
FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
Project Nevada - Extra Options.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
WME - GRA.esm
WME - DLCs.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
SolidProject.esm
Sortomatic.esm
IWS-Core.esm
New Vegas Redesigned II.esm
FNVLODGen.esp
tmzLODadditions.esp
PipBoyLight.esp
CASM.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
F4Quickloot.esp
The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
HZFollowerCheatMenu.esp
FOOK - New Vegas.esp
FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware Additions.esp
Project Nevada - Rebalance Complete.esp
Project Nevada - All DLC.esp
FOOK-PN Convergence.esp
jsawyer.esp
The Low Profile Armor Mod (JSawyer).esp
NVR- Recommended.esp
New Vegas redesigned- Honest Hearts.esp
FOOK-PN-JSawyer CP.esp
FOOK-PN-NVRedesigned CP.esp
SignatureArmor.esp
SignatureWeapons.esp
MTB.esp
Existence 2.0.esp
Conelrad 640-1240.esp
MojaveExtended100.esp
WeaponModsExpanded.esp
WMX-DLCMerged.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
Project Nevada - WME.esp
EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp
IWS-Core-Guards.esp
IWS-Core-Patrols.esp
IWS-Core-Civilians.esp
IWS-DM.esp
IWS-OWB.esp
IWS-HH.esp
IWS-LR.esp
FOOK-PN-WME-WMX-EVE Convergence.esp

Total active plugins: 65
Total plugins: 65

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 5, 2018

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Whats the absolute easiest way for making someone essential at will? I know about the console command, but it references the baseid which is something I think you can only find on the wiki. Is there an easy way ingame to see someones baseid? Clicking on them only refers to their refid.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Whats the absolute easiest way for making someone essential at will? I know about the console command, but it references the baseid which is something I think you can only find on the wiki. Is there an easy way ingame to see someones baseid? Clicking on them only refers to their refid.

Select them in the console and type "gbo"

Requires NVSE but I'm sure you've got that in the modded thread.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Awesome, thanks. Now time to go around the wasteland playing god, deciding who gets to live and who gets to die (hint: traveling merchants and friendly animals get to live). What prompted this whole thing was the effort it took to keep Cheyenne alive in Goodsprings.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like playing on hardcore but no way in hell am I going to tell Veronica to not use her fists, so all companions get set essential and that's just the way it is.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bogart posted:

I like playing on hardcore but no way in hell am I going to tell Veronica to not use her fists, so all companions get set essential and that's just the way it is.

Console or JIP Companion Command and Control?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Console. C&C is a little too groggy for me. They didn't even make an attempt to fit it with the UI argggh

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Bogart posted:

Console. C&C is a little too groggy for me. They didn't even make an attempt to fit it with the UI argggh

Philistine!

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Rowsdower!

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Huh. I wonder if there's beer on the moon.

I followed the OP a bit to set up my game and I'm currently using the 4GB version that's a separate .exe - now that I'm reading more recent pages I can see that the "Fear and Loathing in New Vegas" guide is generally recommended now, so I'm reading through that. Would it work fine for me to just ignore the existence of the 4GB .exe and instead download/run the 4GB patcher and proceed normally? Or should I figure the safest thing is to start from scratch?

I've got Mod Organizer and the only stuff I've actually put IN the game's folder so far are NVSE and the 4GB exe. I also am using NVAC.

I haven't installed ENB yet. I am using a few mod radio stations (Existence with all the tracks, Mojave Music Radio extender, Conelrad Station) and I noticed that while walking around and listening to the radio, I get some minor static skipping noises that actually delay playback slightly. I say they delay playback because the rhythm-based tunes on the radio sound really strange when the beats get pushed around a bit by static. I haven't yet figured out if there's a specific correlation with something I'm doing in the game... I did install the "stutter remover" mod but I didn't play with any of the settings except to set max framerate to 60. When I get in front of my own computer again I'm going to implement a bunch of stuff from Fear and Loathing and probably restart anyway, so we'll see if that fixes the problem.

To be clear, I haven't noticed the game itself freezing or stuttering - just the music playback on the radio.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ignoranus posted:

Would it work fine for me to just ignore the existence of the 4GB .exe and instead download/run the 4GB patcher and proceed normally? Or should I figure the safest thing is to start from scratch?
If you're unsure of what you're doing, you can always start over. Especially if you haven't messed with the install folder that much.
But restoring the original executable and then using the patcher should work just fine.

As for your radiostutter. My first suspect would be a codec problem. This might help: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Radio_stutter_fix I wouldn't even bother trying those .ini settings though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Does it use any of this music as his own combat music? if not, still sold.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So does FNV LODGen just not work with Texture packs? Or would I be better off running LODGen first to generate vanilla assets and then install the texture pack afterwards so when I'm in range, they load the textures without completely loving up distant terrain?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Just made a mod install the other day, I'm using Poco Bueno and the FNV LODGen was the very last step of my install (note: I am not an expert in these matters). I'm not having any noticeable issues. Its my understanding that you want to do it last so it can detect your mods and make LODs off of those using what I assume to be sorcery.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alright guys, I've been thinking about playing through the fallouts again(only played NV on ps3, and fallout 4 on ps4).

I want to experience Fallout 3, but I understand it's a crappy game. I was thinking maybe Fook2 as an overhaul and also some sort of graphics mod. Can someone recommend one? Will it play nicely with Fook2?

Also should I just use my regular Mod Organizer, or is there a more preferred way of going about it now?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Alright guys, I've been thinking about playing through the fallouts again(only played NV on ps3, and fallout 4 on ps4).

I want to experience Fallout 3, but I understand it's a crappy game. I was thinking maybe Fook2 as an overhaul and also some sort of graphics mod. Can someone recommend one? Will it play nicely with Fook2?

Also should I just use my regular Mod Organizer, or is there a more preferred way of going about it now?

The best way to play Fallout 3 is through Tale of Two Wastelands. It turns Fallout 3 and New Vegas into one bigass game, and more importantly allows you to play through Fallout 3 in the improved New Vegas engine (Which means you get weapon mods, look-down sights, the companion wheel, ammo types, and more). Takes a bit of effort to get it set up (Especially if you want to mix in additional Fallout 3 mods, which is very doable but a hair tricky), but well worth it for the final experience.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm aware of that, I just wasn't sure how easy it would be to set up with other mods or overhauls. I kind of want a different experience as far as New Vegas goes, and don't really have a desire to play vanilla FO3

e: Also fwiw I'm intending on trying out FO4 with mods as well, I just assumed it would be more logical to play them in order. If dealing with 4 is easier, I could always do it first. I never actually finished it on ps4 anyway.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 15, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm aware of that, I just wasn't sure how easy it would be to set up with other mods or overhauls. I kind of want a different experience as far as New Vegas goes, and don't really have a desire to play vanilla FO3

e: Also fwiw I'm intending on trying out FO4 with mods as well, I just assumed it would be more logical to play them in order. If dealing with 4 is easier, I could always do it first. I never actually finished it on ps4 anyway.

3 is really a very different experience from New Vegas in and of itself, since so much more of the game takes place in urban areas and settings, in addition to the focus on dungeons and combat over roleplaying and quests. What TTW helps with is adding the many, many quality of life improvements that New Vegas added, most of which serve to make the game much more fun and enjoyable. As to adding other mods, it takes a bit more effort but it's honestly not too difficult-for my TTW playthrough, for instance, I actually utilized a winter conversion mod that really improved the atmosphere and feel of the game, and while there were a handful of glitches, on the whole it worked pretty well without too much tinkering. It helps too that many popular mods for New Vegas are natively or include patches for TTW compatibility, which makes things even easier from that standpoint.

If you don't want to go through the extra effort to get TTW running I completely understand-but I do really think that the overall experience is more than worth that extra effort.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

TTW also allows you to play through 3 with the NV survival mechanics.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

ttw is a lot more stable than vanilla fo3, so that's another reason to use it.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
IIRC, the last version of Tales of Two Wastelands I played broke some of the Fallout 3 DLC though, so you might want to keep that in mind if they haven't released any new versions recently (I know they planned to make some big changes and potentially reintroduce Big Guns as a skill).

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
is the OP still the best place to start for modding new vegas? I'm pulling it back off the shelf for a new playthrough

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mad Wack posted:

is the OP still the best place to start for modding new vegas? I'm pulling it back off the shelf for a new playthrough

EeeEssArBee's Fear and Loathing in New Vegas page over at Step-Project is the best and most up to date, though he completed it back in July and is not updating any further. There's been a number of really good mods to come out since then but the guide is tour best place to start.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Arcsquad12 posted:

EeeEssArBee's Fear and Loathing in New Vegas page over at Step-Project is the best and most up to date, though he completed it back in July and is not updating any further. There's been a number of really good mods to come out since then but the guide is tour best place to start.

Thank you! I forgot how much better NV is than FO4 - it's just been so long...

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Is there a mod to get rid of the console?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

This is the first mod I think is just not okay and shouldn't exist.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

You should be able to disable it by setting bAllowConsole to 0 in FalloutPrefs.ini, but why would you want to do that.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I just ruin my own fun by going player.setav [SPECIAL] 10, player.repaircurrentweapon, and player.additem 15149 250.

I'll try the ini edit, thanks!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mad Wack posted:

I used Fallout Mod Manager, not sure if there's a better solution. Grab that and of course NVSE aka the New Vegas Script Extender.

As always, start with NVAC, aka New Vegas Anti-Crash.

I suggest the FOOK-PN Convergence mod. The setup is certainly much much simpler than Fear and Loathing.

CASM for sure, otherwise you will never know if your quicksaves are slowly loving up your game. Maybe the do, maybe they don't, I'm not risking it.

New Vegas Redesigned 2 is a mod with the goal of basically making everyone look prettier. Is it weird that I want that? Am I weird now? I was going to play without it but everyone's face kept bugging me. For instance, Sunny Smiles has like a mustache or something. I found it to be really distracting. Supposedly there's some skeevy stuff in the mod but I'm willing to put up with that.

In addition to Convergence, I also have Increased Wasteland Spawns to spice up the combat. Generally, fighting several weaker enemies is much more fun than fighting a single bullet sponge enemy. I put it on the highest setting (between 0 and 3) spawns on normal dudes, and the lowest setting (8) on Faction dudes because 8 seems like a lot already.

jsawyer.esp is compatible with all of this as well, so I slipped that in there because a mod order without jsawyer.esp just feels wrong.

I picked up the https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/64237Low Profile Armor Mod[/url] with the jsawyer patch to make everything work nicely. The idea behind this mod is more variety in loot, basically. Maybe give something to boost with Signature Armor, but I always just end up with the Sherrif's Duster anyway.

I also highly recommend the Solid Project. It adds a ton of cool poo poo and as far as I can tell nothing it adds conflicts with anything, except for Project Nevada's sprint which the mod disables for you. It is an A++ mod that should be in everyones load order.

Also a mod that absolutely needs to be in your load order: Fallout 4 Quickloot Loot Menu for FNV. Save literal hours of your life with this mod. Looting was already a joy for me, now its like pure bliss.

Lastly I snuck in Signature Weapons and Signature Armor, from the OP. The caveat with these two mods is that you have to use the honor system to only boost items that were underpowered to begin with. Right now I use my Sherrif's Duster as my signature armor because its boss as gently caress. I haven't yet found a weapon to use as a signature weapon, but if I found a particularly dope looking silenced pistol I will probably use that.

Also in there, the following radio station mods: Existence 2.0, CONELRAD, Mojave Music Radio. Poco Bueno texture pack, I think I have some assorted weapon textures too but I can't remember.

Do the .ini tweaks from the Fear and Loathing install for a few more tweaks, most notably upping the grass distance.

At the end of all that I recommend installing FNVLODGen which will make nice distant LOD textures.

Here's my load order:

code:
FalloutNV.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
HonestHearts.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
DeadMoney.esm
TribalPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
ClassicPack.esm
CaravanPack.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
FOOK - New Vegas.esm
FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
Project Nevada - Extra Options.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
WME - GRA.esm
WME - DLCs.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
SolidProject.esm
Sortomatic.esm
IWS-Core.esm
New Vegas Redesigned II.esm
FNVLODGen.esp
tmzLODadditions.esp
CASM.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main NV.esp
DarNifiedUINV.esp
F4Quickloot.esp
The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
HZFollowerCheatMenu.esp
FOOK - New Vegas.esp
FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware Additions.esp
Project Nevada - Rebalance Complete.esp
Project Nevada - All DLC.esp
FOOK-PN Convergence.esp
jsawyer.esp
The Low Profile Armor Mod (JSawyer).esp
NVR- Recommended.esp
New Vegas redesigned- Honest Hearts.esp
FOOK-PN-JSawyer CP.esp
FOOK-PN-NVRedesigned CP.esp
SignatureArmor.esp
SignatureWeapons.esp
MTB.esp
Existence 2.0.esp
Conelrad 640-1240.esp
MojaveExtended100.esp
WeaponModsExpanded.esp
WMX-DLCMerged.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
Project Nevada - WME.esp
EVE FNV - ALL DLC.esp
IWS-Core-Guards.esp
IWS-Core-Patrols.esp
IWS-Core-Civilians.esp
IWS-DM.esp
IWS-OWB.esp
IWS-HH.esp
IWS-LR.esp
FOOK-PN-WME-WMX-EVE Convergence.esp

Total active plugins: 64
Total plugins: 66
Assorted mods I didn't mention: Mobile Truck base + Sortomatic. Maybe this is cool but I found myself overwhelmed by the concept of setting up Sortomatic so I said gently caress it and just modded my carry weight. HZFollowerCheatMenu I got because of its easy functionality to allow me to have both Rex and ED-E at the same time. Also easy access to do things like teleport your companions to you in case they get lost and/or stuck which is something I had to do with the console before. DarNifiedUI remains the best UI mod that I am aware of. I tried to use MTUI but it didn't work for some reason, probably something dumb I did.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 15, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Also a mod that absolutely needs to be in your load order: Fallout 4 Quickloot. Save literal hours of your life with this mod. Looting was already a joy for me, now its like pure bliss.
I'd use this mod instead. It's less buggy and better put together in general.

Also here's a working link for the Low Profile Armor.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I've turned around on new Vegas bounties. I think it's a little lame. And I think the fear and loathing list is a little bloated. Like, the stealth suit mod is a bit overblown. Give me a sprint key, quick loot, and a few good texture redos and I'm a happy courier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

New Vegas Redesigned 2 is a mod with the goal of basically making everyone look prettier. Is it weird that I want that? Am I weird now? I was going to play without it but everyone's face kept bugging me. For instance, Sunny Smiles has like a mustache or something. I found it to be really distracting. Supposedly there's some skeevy stuff in the mod but I'm willing to put up with that.

Redesigned 2 is fine. Redesigned 3 is the one with the skeevy poo poo, like turning The Fort into a full on rape camp and adding semen stains to hookers at the brothel in Westside.