Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I got introduced into adventure games by LSL1. Everyone was playing it then, because hurr sex. We were twelve. I learned about the word 'lubber' and I had to learn English to play all those game.

In fact, where I'm from it was primarily Sierra games. I remember introducing Lucasarts games to my school. And when people called me to ask for puzzle help, they were always stuck at the very beginning in every game they tried before they went back to their Prince of Persia or Operation WOLF.

I still remember how cool I thought it was when suddenly all adventure games started using full mouse controls.

But enough about how old I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

John F Bennett posted:

I remember friends from school calling me via TELEPHONE to ask me if I knew the solution to certain puzzles.

I was the adventure game guy in school. Which was the coolest of all the cool back in the day.

I used to call my dad's friend at his office and ask things like where the moonstone was in Fate of Atlantis and then he'd put the phone on his shoulder and ask his colleague, then you could hear them all leave their desks and talk about the game instead of working.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I maaaaay have gotten in trouble when I was a kid because of that LucasArts hint hotline.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I think MI2 is around the time I started downloading UHS files off a BBS (although for the life of me I can't remember which one - hell it could have been Prodigy). Before that (KQ4 era), I bought a couple of the hint books with the Transformers-box-like see-through red windows. Those were a hoot.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

The hardest part of Monkey Island 2 for me were (spoilering in case Cervixalot plays it) the timed puzzles. Trying to figure out what to do in Largo's room was bad enough, but it was way worse with the final battle against LeChuck. I know you can't die from it, but I found it hard to get my bearings straight and puzzle out what to do or what item to use before LeChuck barges in to distract you.

And since we're talking about MI, how is Tales of Monkey Island? I've seen it on sale on GOG, so I'm curious if it's as good as 1 and 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

amigolupus posted:

The hardest part of Monkey Island 2 for me were (spoilering in case Cervixalot plays it) the timed puzzles. Trying to figure out what to do in Largo's room was bad enough, but it was way worse with the final battle against LeChuck. I know you can't die from it, but I found it hard to get my bearings straight and puzzle out what to do or what item to use before LeChuck barges in to distract you.

And since we're talking about MI, how is Tales of Monkey Island? I've seen it on sale on GOG, so I'm curious if it's as good as 1 and 2.

Tales of Monkey Island was pretty decent, from memory. It gets better as it goes, but never gets amazing or anything.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

As a huge fan of all that is Monkey Island, I'm not a fan of Tales.

It doesn't have that particular 'feel' of Monkey Island to me. Don't really know how to explain it better.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, for me not so much the first one you mention but definitely the latter. Largo's room, I guess I only got stuck the "normal amount" of time, or maybe it is hard to judge because it happened very early in the game and this was years and years ago. The final battle with LeChuck's was really difficult, though. Yes, you can't die, but on top of having to guess what the hell you're supposed to do and how you should do it -even if it is a retelling of other things you've done before-, there's the time limit. Actually on replays I found that to be a lot more generous than I remembered it, but I guess the tension you feel on a first run factors in greatly. Monkey Island 2 is still my favourite game of the whole series anyway. The audio commentary on the special edition was also really fun to listen to. I actually liked that release a lot, it was really nice playing with the original graphics and the new voice acting.

Tales of Monkey Island wasn't bad, I actually had fun playing it and some bits were funny. It wasn't amazing though, definitely miles away from any of the first three games. It also suffers from being an "early" Telltale game: they used to be set basically in only a few locations and there was a lot of character reuse, which makes it feel a bit cheap. They got much better about that later, but back then that was what you were getting.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Mendigo posted:

they used to be set basically in only a few locations and there was a lot of character reuse, which makes it feel a bit cheap. They got much better about that later, but back then that was what you were getting.

This is one of the reasons I feel Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People was the strongest of their early titles and has held up extremely well. It probably wouldn't have felt like a Homestar Runner game if they didn't do this.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

The best time I've ever had playing an adventure game was the entire middle part of MI2. This is when the world opens up and you have to find the map pieces. I enjoyed the openness of it and the very loose guidance you receive.

Every part of it is memorable. Diving for treasure with Kate Capsize, Elaine's costume party, the spitting contest, the drinking contest, ...
Best adventure game for me.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

This is one of the reasons I feel Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People was the strongest of their early titles and has held up extremely well. It probably wouldn't have felt like a Homestar Runner game if they didn't do this.

You are right, in that specific case it fits the original perfectly. The last episode was really funny, too, way better than any of the other ones although all of them kinda got the tone right.

BlueHeron
Feb 20, 2015
I remember thinking Tales of Monkey Island was okay, but I really didn't like what they did with the Voodoo Lady.

It's revealed that she's been secretly pulling the strings the whole time, that LeChuck originally wasn't evil and the Voodoo Lady turned him evil, and that all of the encounters between Guybrush and LeChuck throughout the series were set up by her. Or something along those lines.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Mendigo posted:

You are right, in that specific case it fits the original perfectly. The last episode was really funny, too, way better than any of the other ones although all of them kinda got the tone right.

Episode 4 was my favorite. Even removed from the whole Homestar Runner context, the whole premise of playing a character who is playing a character in his own lovely homemade action movie complete with flubbed lines and bad edits was clever and totally hilarious.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Chev posted:

That the powerful and secret anti-ghost voodoo ritual you sought to the end of the world and to the hell beyond is in fact a common soda the likes of which any north american kid would likely have had a gulp of and which you can literally find in any vending machine.

The actual joke is that it's one of the most obvious references to On Stranger Tides in the game, where the Grog is acutal Grog, but as the Monkey Island series is family friendly...

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ookiimarukochan posted:

The actual joke is that it's one of the most obvious references to On Stranger Tides in the game, where the Grog is acutal Grog, but as the Monkey Island series is family friendly...

I don't get it.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

amigolupus posted:

Not as good, but on sale, it's nice enough. I liked the small subversion they took on insult duels in one of the episodes too.

BlueHeron posted:

It's revealed that she's been secretly pulling the strings the whole time, that LeChuck originally wasn't evil and the Voodoo Lady turned him evil, and that all of the encounters between Guybrush and LeChuck throughout the series were set up by her. Or something along those lines.
Well, LeChuck turned out to still be evil and treacherous after that, so I think we should take the whole situation with a grain of salt. Of course, the Voodoo Lady having LeChuck's soul delivered to her at the end is ominous, although it might just be a case trying to keep that idiot from causing trouble again.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Tales impressed me at the time in that it wasn't a complete trainwreck like Escape.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Speaking of newer episodic adventure games.
I just picked up Kings Quest 2015, and am really enjoying it.
I've only just finished the first chapter, but I'm pretty impressed with the writing so far.
Puzzles are interesting but a tad on the simple side, and controls are a but janky.
But the comedy and characters are pretty great so far. Hopefully it keeps it up.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Tales definitely isn't as good as MI 1-3, but it's much better than 4. And I agree that Tales improves with each episode. I remember not being on board with the first two but by the end really enjoying myself.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Chairman Capone posted:

Tales definitely isn't as good as MI 1-3, but it's much better than 4. And I agree that Tales improves with each episode. I remember not being on board with the first two but by the end really enjoying myself.

Yes, this was my experience too from what I remember. Not impressed with episode one, but then it kept getting more interesting.

Definitely a title I'd recommend to a Monkey Island fan.

I think I'd like it if Telltale revisited that more relaxed kind of adventure game with less emphasis to their "Choice and Consequences" system.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

AbstractNapper posted:

I don't get it.

Grog is an alcoholic drink - in Monkey Island it's a brand of ginger beer (or at least tastes like it) - the climatic scene of On Stranger Tides is very similar to Monkey Island, including a ghost-killing potion that's made with a grog base. Just read On Stranger Tides - it's a great book, and Monkey Island hews closer to the plot than the Pirates of the Caribbean film "based" on it.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

ookiimarukochan posted:

Grog is an alcoholic drink - in Monkey Island it's a brand of ginger beer (or at least tastes like it)
No. In Monkey Island, grog is a highly corrosive beverage composed of one or more of the following: kerosene, propylene glycol, artificial sweeteners, sulfuric acid, rum, acetone, battery acid, red dye#2, scumm, axle grease and/or pepperoni. You use it to burn through a prison lock in the first game (in which it melts mugs in your inventory in real time) and possibly get multiple hangovers from drinking it in the second (following a series of Tex Avery faces of suffering), depending on how devious you are. It never was assimilated to ginger beer in the MI series IIRC, unless it was in MI4 which is the one that I've more or less erased from my memory.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

ookiimarukochan posted:

Grog is an alcoholic drink - in Monkey Island it's a brand of ginger beer (or at least tastes like it) - the climatic scene of On Stranger Tides is very similar to Monkey Island, including a ghost-killing potion that's made with a grog base.
Ok.

I guess I always just assumed that in the finale Stan's Grog machine just dropped a root beer bottle; when Guybrush earlier reads what is available in the "Grog" vending machine he mentions a few different stuff and they are: grog, classic grog, cherry grog, caffeine free grog, diet grog and root beer. I actually didn't remember them all off the top of my head, I just looked them up in a let's play. And it's the root beer that works as a substitute for the ghost killing root beer (which needed a ghost root), so I never really made the connection that it had grog as base. I still am doubtful.

So I thought that was the joke. That the root beer available in a random vending machine could work (albeit less effectively as proven by the sequel) in place of the actual ghost killing root beer.

When the (plain I guess?) grog is described in the game, it sounds like a real vile drink. I think some of the ingredients are sulphuric acid, battery acid and rum (how could it not have rum?); and I'll have to look the rest of it up, they are mentioned by the three important looking pirates in Scumm Bar. I remember the acid ones because later you use grog to melt the lock in the prison cell for one of your mutinous crew mates.

ookiimarukochan posted:

Just read On Stranger Tides - it's a great book, and Monkey Island hews closer to the plot than the Pirates of the Caribbean film "based" on it.
I will do that, thank you. I was actually not aware that the book was an inspiration for Monkey Island (or if I did I forgot) and I was part of the team that translated the game to Greek.

The book would have helped with the translation, because at the time I was reading a few pirate books at the time, from the prototype English versions and then their Greek translations as part of a research for established translations for pirate lingo and stuff like "pieces o' eight".

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

AbstractNapper posted:

I guess I always just assumed that in the finale Stan's Grog machine just dropped a root beer bottle
That's because that's exactly what happens. Root beer is explicitly listed on the machine from the get go, after all the various brands of grog that are riffs on Coke, and the bottle is explicilty named as such. As pointed out in my previous post root beer is entirely unrelated to the MI version of grog and ookiimarukochan seems to have misunderstood (not to mention the climactic ghost killing scene in On Stranger Tides involves combining a cutlass, compass, blood and a bride, which I will admit is suitably adventure game-like but has no connection to grog).

Chev fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 13, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The only good thing to come out of the movie were new copies of the book being printed. Used copies got incredibly expensive in the early 2000s, probably because of MI fans driving up demand. Sam and Max: Surfin' the Highway was up over $100 on eBay back then too. It's important to note that this is what they wanted for paperbacks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

The only good thing to come out of the movie were new copies of the book being printed. Used copies got incredibly expensive in the early 2000s, probably because of MI fans driving up demand. Sam and Max: Surfin' the Highway was up over $100 on eBay back then too. It's important to note that this is what they wanted for paperbacks.

Well drat, if I ever miss a mortgage payment then my signed hardback should bail me out.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

I found a few copies of Surfin the Highway signed and sketched by Steve Purcell for $20 each at this site. Ended up buying two. :)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember getting the Sam & Max Surfin' the Highway book right when it was republished by Telltale. Strange to think that a comic book is one of the first things that Telltale released.

Since the Rama games got brought up here recently, that made me think - are the Ringworld games worth playing, both as someone who's a fan of adventure games, and someone who's a big fan of the Ringworld books?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Absolutely - it's been a long time since I last played them, the first one has an irritating minigame but other than that there were no real irritations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
gently caress Vice but I have to recommend this article - How Sierra and a Disgraced Cop Made the Most Reactionary Game of the 90s.

It's about Police Quest Open Season and how Ken Williams saw Daryl Gates as the perfect guy to direct a game about a cop.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Terminally Bored posted:

gently caress Vice but I have to recommend this article - How Sierra and a Disgraced Cop Made the Most Reactionary Game of the 90s.

It's about Police Quest Open Season and how Ken Williams saw Daryl Gates as the perfect guy to direct a game about a cop.

It's cool to see Josh Mandel talk about the game and what went on behind the scenes (that inside name for the game :eyepop:). I don't think they comment on the fact that Gates is one of the actors in the game (he's the chief), and that I think Tammy Dargan was the lead designer. They also don't really comment on Jim Walls departure (which I've never been clear on, though I think it's because a portion of Sierra staff jumped ship and went to form Tsunami Media). A lot of the screenshots in that article are also ripped straight from GOG's website (I recognize the captions in the bottom-right corner denoting which game is which.)

Really, though, Police Quest: Open Season is an awful game. It's such a slog to play, it's an ugly game, it recycles art and music from other games (or maybe it's the other way around), and the last fourth just gets crazy stupid.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Max Wilco posted:

I don't think they comment on the fact that Gates is one of the actors in the game (he's the chief), and that I think Tammy Dargan was the lead designer.

They do:
"Although Gates was nominally hired as the “author” of the fourth Police Quest, the game was chiefly written and designed by Tammy Dargan, a Sierra producer formerly of the television show America's Most Wanted. Gates gave her script notes."

"The former Chief is actually in Open Season. Not as a character, as himself. In the game, Gates is restored as Chief of the LAPD, encouraging John Carey in his quest and, in the final scene, presenting his gallant knight with the medal of honor."

Never played it but remember it getting pretty polarizing reviews back in the day. I was never a Sierra fan tbh but didn't know Williams was such a Rush Limbaugh fan.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Terminally Bored posted:

Never played it but remember it getting pretty polarizing reviews back in the day. I was never a Sierra fan tbh but didn't know Williams was such a Rush Limbaugh fan.

Huh, I had no idea, and that doesn't gel with the image I had of Sierra at all. The Coles, for example, seem to be incredibly progressive people.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Huh, I had no idea, and that doesn't gel with the image I had of Sierra at all. The Coles, for example, seem to be incredibly progressive people.

Roberta Williams had an elitist outlook towards her work, at least in the 90s. In response to why adventure games were dying she blamed affordable hardware and consoles as cheapening the market, allowing for dumb casuals (said in kinder words of course) to shape the work of developers.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Got curious and googled to see what the Williamses are doing these days. Cruising around the oceans in their pretty cool boat, it seems. Good for them.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Terminally Bored posted:

They do:
"Although Gates was nominally hired as the “author” of the fourth Police Quest, the game was chiefly written and designed by Tammy Dargan, a Sierra producer formerly of the television show America's Most Wanted. Gates gave her script notes."

"The former Chief is actually in Open Season. Not as a character, as himself. In the game, Gates is restored as Chief of the LAPD, encouraging John Carey in his quest and, in the final scene, presenting his gallant knight with the medal of honor."

Shoot, I guess I skimmed over that. Sorry.

al-azad posted:

Roberta Williams had an elitist outlook towards her work, at least in the 90s. In response to why adventure games were dying she blamed affordable hardware and consoles as cheapening the market, allowing for dumb casuals (said in kinder words of course) to shape the work of developers.

I remember someone talking about that a while ago, referencing an Old Man Murray article that covered it.

The quote, as printed in the article:

Roberta Williams posted:

Back when I got started, which sounds like ancient history, back then the demographics of people who were into computer games, was totally different, in my opinion, then they are today. Back then, computers were more expensive, which made them more exclusive to people who were maybe at a certain income level, or education level. So the people that played computer games 15 years ago were that type of person. They probably didn't watch television as much, and the instant gratification era hadn't quite grown the way it has lately. I think in the last 5 or 6 years, the demographics have really changed, now this is my opinion, because computers are less expensive so more people can afford them. More "average" people now feel they should own one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Terminally Bored posted:

quote:

Naturally, per Gates, gang terror is enabled by social welfare programs: “This is an all-girl Hispanic gang,” Carey reads in the LAPD files. “To enter and stay in the gang a girl must rob at gun-point a retail business. Many of these girls are unwed mothers and receive public assistance.”
:psyduck:

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I vaguely remember reading a few interviews with Ken Williams and thinking he was a piece of poo poo. The Coles in particular always seem like nice (if somewhat deluded when it comes to feasibility and timescale) people, by its notable they were often in conflict with Sierra’s management.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Peas and Rice posted:

I imagine you didn't have to share the Williams ideals to work for them, they were very business-oriented and plucked designers of all kinds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

SupSuper posted:

I imagine you didn't have to share the Williams ideals to work for them, they were very business-oriented and plucked designers of all kinds.

Makes sense. I was passing acquaintances with Lorelei Shannon at one point (the writer/designer of Phantasmagoria 2, which was progressive AF for its time) and I know she left Sierra under circumstances that she's still not allowed to (or won't) talk about. Take from that what you will.