Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Defense lawyer Anthony Ricco said Martinez would appeal.

“It’s a tragedy all around,” he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

goatsestretchgoals posted:

officer gun, you're a loose cannon

Turn in your badge and gun

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/nwmalinowski/status/955086615046754304

:cry::cry::cry:

How are we suppose to get our family and friends off scotfree with only 20?

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

OhFunny posted:

Lol no one even had a problem with that part.

quote:

A source said Lynch ordered the cutback to stop the sale of the cards, which were being hawked on eBay last week for as much as $200.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's an onion parody site, right??

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
"Get out of jail free card"?? oh that must be a euphemism for some shady poo poo that you're not supposed to talk about oh wait no american cops literally have get-out-of-jail cards issued for their friends and to sell on eBay lmao

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

poorlifedecision posted:

I'm not sure Broken Windows is actually scientifically sound and BW Policing is essentially a tax on poor/people of color. There's a lot of correlation/causation assumptions going on there. BW doesn't really have anything to do with the idea that "if you live in an equitable world with safe and clean surroundings and you have solid education you won't commit crimes."
I admit that I'm nowhere near qualified enough in sociology to really validate this concept as a means to countermeasure as crime, after all you can see that in white affluent suburban neighbourhoods where assault and drug charges are quite commonplace. V:shobon:V what I meant was that "if you don't fix something that's broken IMMEDIATELY, then it's a slippery slope towards social decay and it gets even worse than the state it's currently in", that was more what I was driving at.

I guess I'm really more aiming for "if you let him off with one racial slur, he's just gonna get worse until he shoots someone" except by "him" I mean the entire police force.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/nwmalinowski/status/955086615046754304

I don't... immediately trust the NY post, but the whole point of Rule of Law is that everyone is accountable to it. If those actually are real, they violate the entire fabric of society that the police are supposed to enforce.

Which wouldn't be a surprise

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I am completely dumbfounded that those cards exist.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
y'all really never heard of PBA cards?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

y'all really never heard of PBA cards?

No. And if someone casually told me they existed I'd think they were loving with me.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

If you're black but you have one of those "I know a cop" cards, how conflicted does this make the officer who pulls you over?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

akadajet posted:

If you're black but you have one of those "I know a cop" cards, how conflicted does this make the officer who pulls you over?

they immediately execute you under suspicion of robbing a cop

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

akadajet posted:

Depends on if the card is gun shaped.
gently caress, telling the cop theres something in his pocket will be enough to start shooting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not surprised they exist, but i am still kinda surprised that they publicly admit they exist. i suppose i was naive.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Grondoth posted:

I don't... immediately trust the NY post, but the whole point of Rule of Law is that everyone is accountable to it. If those actually are real, they violate the entire fabric of society that the police are supposed to enforce.

The cops in this country operate like a gang, what do you expect?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

akadajet posted:

the black guys who tend to have PBA cards are wannabecops or someone who is a cop. though the cop taking the PBA card may be a dick and reject it.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Grondoth posted:

the post is usually full of poo poo. this one however isnt. actually remember anthony cumia? the racist shock jock who got kicked off his show? well he constantly got in trouble throughout the years of the show things from speeding to assulting his girlfriend. him being good buddies with cops got him out of most of those things.

he bragged on air about getting out of trouble all the time

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The cards exist, and have for a long time. It's just that a lot more people know this now.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
It's super common knowledge over here. If you're black or they don't like you or whatever they ask "Who do you know? How do you know them?" and you need to answer correctly, if they want to push it further they'll call the LEO that appears on the card or something. But yes it's basically a get out of jail free card. Also it's literally gold

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Just a moment officer, I have a get out of jail free card in here somewhere. Maybe it's behind this check for $10 that I received for winning second prize in a beauty contest.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's super common knowledge over here. If you're black or they don't like you or whatever they ask "Who do you know? How do you know them?" and you need to answer correctly, if they want to push it further they'll call the LEO that appears on the card or something. But yes it's basically a get out of jail free card. Also it's literally gold

This makes me angry. It's just so blatantly corrupt.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Make sure you always follow instructions and keep your hands in plain sight if you don't want to get shot! You'll get arrested because it's suspicious to comply, but you won't get shot. It will set you back $10,000.

quote:

Black man says Tulsa cops arrested him for ‘over-obeying’ during traffic stop: ‘No matter what I did, I was going to lose’

Addressing a 2017 arrest for a DUI, a black Tulsa real estate investor said that he was innocent — as his blood test later proved — and that he was taken into custody for being too compliant with the arresting deputies.

In an interview with Tulsa World, businessman Adam James called the encounter with Tulsa Deputy David Allen and Deputy Randy Schaefer a “surreal’ experience after they accused him of doing drugs when they confronted him in a parking lot slightly after midnight on Sept. 30.

James made his comments after prosecutors dropped the charges against him when medical reports showed nothing in his system, with James saying the dismissal of the arrest by law enforcement left him, “feeling not an equal. That I was not a citizen. That I don’t matter.”

According to the police report, the deputies were suspicious of James – after he was pulled over for veering into another lane in his Honda — because he kept putting his hands in the air.

“Adam James had difficulty following simple instruction (sic) without them being repeated multiple times and continuously raised his hands in the air,” wrote deputy Allen.

According to James, by nervously keeping his hands in plain sight the deputy suggested he might be under the influence. James admitted that his heart rate went up following the late night stop, and that he did fumble for documents in his glove-box when asked for his registration.

As for his hands staying up out of his fear of being shot, James said the deputies were suspicious of him because he was “over-obeying,” and that was why he ended up handcuffed in the back of a cruiser on his way to a local hospital for a blood test before being booked.

“So no matter what I did in there, I was going to lose,” James explained.

After his blood test came back negative, District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler said his office dropped the case because, “based upon the preliminary blood test results that came back from the laboratory testing,” there was no evidence of anything that could have impaired James.

According to Sheriff Vic Regalado, he saw no evidence of racial profiling — including looking into both deputy’s history in the department — and left open that James may have been under the influence of something that was not detected.

“That is not uncommon for that to happen,” Regalado said of James’ negative blood test results. “And the reason why is when it does happen, it could be a variety of different things. It could include those tests only test for certain intoxicants; it doesn’t test for synthetic drugs, inhalants and things like that.”

“Not just African Americans get nervous on stops,” Regalado added. “And can that affect to a certain extent (field sobriety tests)? Absolutely. Can mental illness do it? Absolutely. Can other factors, … being under the influence of intoxicants, inhalants, synthetic drugs? … All those things taken into effect can absolutely.”

According to Lewis, he was able to fight the charges and get his record expunged due to his financial situation, saying he has spent somewhere near to $10,000 to fight it.

“I was there; I got out because I had the means,” he said. “What if I didn’t?”

You can read the whole report here.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/bl...-going-to-lose/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Make sure you always follow instructions and keep your hands in plain sight if you don't want to get shot! You'll get arrested because it's suspicious to comply, but you won't get shot. It will set you back $10,000.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/01/bl...-going-to-lose/

Was he making this face the whole time?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I guess if you were having a panic attack and trying to comply with police instructions you'd end up looking pretty suspicious. You'd think a good police officer would be able to recognize that kind of thing, but whelp. :(

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

akadajet posted:

I guess if you were having a panic attack and trying to comply with police instructions you'd end up looking pretty suspicious. You'd think a good police officer would be able to recognize that kind of thing, but whelp. :(

A good police force probably wouldn't provoke panic attacks in citizens for something as trivial as a traffic stop in the first place lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/955456984177717249

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

akadajet posted:

You'd think a good police officer

Never

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Well, if it's dead

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Wasn't arrested, but I had a cop get pissed at me once during a traffic stop because I told him what I was going to do before doing it (ie, "my ID is in my wallet, which is in a side pocket on the right side of my pants, I'm going to take my right hand off the wheel and pull my wallet out", "my registration and proof of insurance are in the glove box, I'm going to open the box and take it out...") and apparently he had more important things to do because he cut me off and told me to stop wasting his time by being so over-cautious, and if I thought he was going to shoot me.

This is precisely what the police tell you to do during a traffic stop so officers don't get confused and think you're reaching for a gun or other weapon. There's just no satisfying these assholes.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
PBA cards and business cards aren't really get out of jail free cards. They're consideration cards that will often get you out of a minor offense as a favor to the cop who gave you the card. You could get out of a speeding ticket or a drunk and disorderly or something. You're not going to rob a liquor store and walk away by handing over a card.

It's also up to the cop in question so if they don't like you or the card isn't from someone important enough they could just tell you to put it back in your wallet and shut up. Family members usually get different types of cards and sometimes ID/mini badges and those will likely get you out of a lot more trouble. A friend got pulled over with a bag of weed and let off because his close relative was a detective. The cop made him dump the weed and then call his relative to explain why he got pulled over what what he did.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poorlifedecision posted:

PBA cards and business cards aren't really get out of jail free cards. They're consideration cards that will often get you out of a minor offense as a favor to the cop who gave you the card. You could get out of a speeding ticket or a drunk and disorderly or something. You're not going to rob a liquor store and walk away by handing over a card.

It's also up to the cop in question so if they don't like you or the card isn't from someone important enough they could just tell you to put it back in your wallet and shut up. Family members usually get different types of cards and sometimes ID/mini badges and those will likely get you out of a lot more trouble. A friend got pulled over with a bag of weed and let off because his close relative was a detective. The cop made him dump the weed and then call his relative to explain why he got pulled over what what he did.

maybe people know that and that's still enough to be called bullshit

but no it obviously isn't bad that cop friends get special treatment instead of being held to the same standards as other people

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I like how they showed up to the protest with unironic "Just following orders" signs.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

poorlifedecision posted:

Uh yeah the cops giving special treatment to friends and family of cops is still an abuse of police power.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

poorlifedecision posted:

PBA cards and business cards aren't really get out of jail free cards. They're consideration cards that will often get you out of a minor offense

:thunk:

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lime Tonics posted:

Constance Gadell-Newton Eyewitness Cellphone Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiS43DoR7sI&feature=youtu.be

:nws: :nms:

america is a police state.

if somebody did that to my SO I'd kill them

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poorlifedecision posted:

This is a loving travesty of justice.

Regular people can get their lives ruined by a drug charge.

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

COMRADES posted:

This is a loving travesty of justice.

Regular people can get their lives ruined by a drug charge.

Yeah I know. I was just saying that they aren't really a "get out of jail free card." Now everyone's reacting like I told them they were useless pieces of plastic that are also good and just. Did I accidentally post under Smelliot's account?

And the PBA card is probably less likely to help you beat a drug charge, if you're surprised that family members of police can get out of a lot of trouble well I imagine you recently received a head injury and forgot everything you knew about police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Again I know that it happens but it's incredible that they are so brazen and not giving a gently caress about ethics that they have actual cards to hand out.

Sure "get out of jail free" might be exaggerating a bit but then again people do go to jail for getting caught with a bag of weed so :shrug:

• Locked thread