Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It’s that simple now? With 7 it used to be a whole new installation (or was that as far back as XP now?) because the hardware differences would make it throw an error when booting.

Also, does Windows have any sort of rudimentary stress test built in? I’m asking these questions because I might be picking up a used computer and want to make sure it’s in decent condition but I don’t want to be insisting he installs FurMark or something.

At worst you should just need to force it to boot into Safe Mode and manually remove problematic drivers. Because you are not even switching from Intel to AMD or vice versa, it should boot right up albeit while in degraded functionality mode until it pulls the correct new drivers (eg resolution will be at default, sound might not work yet, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Personally I'd just start over from scratch again after backing up the important stuff to a large capacity hdd.

Installing Windows takes hardly any time these days.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

What's the best way to back up two hard drives to an external hard drive? Maybe with some kind of incremental scheme too, if that's possible.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I just installed Macrium Reflect Free and it seems pretty well featured.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm a fan of Bvckup 2.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

best-case scenario is it doesn't use some proprietary back up format

e: I went with freefilesync. currently backing up.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 12, 2018

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

MikeJF posted:

I'm a fan of Bvckup 2.

I can second this, tons of undocumented features (sadly) but the dev is really active on his forums and quick to help and fix bugs.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I'm a fan of Bvckup 2.

Does it do file versioning? It isn't obvious from the website.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I picked up a cheap office computer at my state surplus. It's a fully functional i7 3440 8 gigs of ram, 500 HDD, license and some poo poo AMD card ($150). Is there a program for hardware diagnostics? Want to make sure everything checks out. Probably have to replace the HDD but I have plenty of those

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Goodpancakes posted:

I picked up a cheap office computer at my state surplus. It's a fully functional i7 3440 8 gigs of ram, 500 HDD, license and some poo poo AMD card ($150). Is there a program for hardware diagnostics? Want to make sure everything checks out. Probably have to replace the HDD but I have plenty of those

Wow! This immediately had me googling "state surplus mn" but alas, no computers to be found when searching past auctions.

As for diagnostics, for starters you could boot to a live cd/usb drive and run memtest86 on it for a couple of hours (days would be better). If it passes that it'd establish the cpu/ram/and probably power supply to be ok. If you throw windows on it there's FurMark for the video, and sound just play an mp3, maybe install a reasonably demanding game to test both.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

As a creature of habit, I am still using MPC HC (not a fan of VLC).

For my Notebook with touchscreen I would prefer a media player that supports touch gestures (swipe left/right for previous/next file, up/down for volume control etc.). MX player for Android does it, is there something similar for Windows 10?

Search results for "MX Player Windows 10" look kinda suspicious.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

mcbexx posted:

As a creature of habit, I am still using MPC HC (not a fan of VLC).

For my Notebook with touchscreen I would prefer a media player that supports touch gestures (swipe left/right for previous/next file, up/down for volume control etc.). MX player for Android does it, is there something similar for Windows 10?

Search results for "MX Player Windows 10" look kinda suspicious.

I haven't used this feature, but PotPlayer supports touch gestures, and I've come to prefer it to MPC in general.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I've got uBlock Origin installed on Firefox. Does anyone know if it is easy to block a particular in-line javascript from running? That is, the page doesn't call an external file but has that script within the html. I thought it would be as easy as adding something like "webpage.com##script:contains(keyword)" in the "My Filters" dashboard page of uBO but that seems to have no effect.

Should it be as easy as that and I'm loving something up?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Severing posted:

Personally I'd just start over from scratch again after backing up the important stuff to a large capacity hdd.

Installing Windows takes hardly any time these days.

I'd consider it a downright pleasant experience.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Gromit posted:

I've got uBlock Origin installed on Firefox. Does anyone know if it is easy to block a particular in-line javascript from running? That is, the page doesn't call an external file but has that script within the html. I thought it would be as easy as adding something like "webpage.com##script:contains(keyword)" in the "My Filters" dashboard page of uBO but that seems to have no effect.

Should it be as easy as that and I'm loving something up?
Does it have to be as precise as that one script, or would it be OK to block all inline scripts on that site? Because if it is, that's very easy to do with uBlock's dynamic filtering feature.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Lork posted:

Does it have to be as precise as that one script, or would it be OK to block all inline scripts on that site? Because if it is, that's very easy to do with uBlock's dynamic filtering feature.

Yep, that worked perfectly - thanks!

e: looked through the existing filters that come with uBlock and copied one of those. "website.com^$inline-script" filters just the scripting on that domain. Sweet.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 20, 2018

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

alright windows peeps - i work in a financial institution and my work runs windows 7 and at least 3 antivirus programs at once. is there any conceivable benefit to this?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Generic Monk posted:

alright windows peeps - i work in a financial institution and my work runs windows 7 and at least 3 antivirus programs at once. is there any conceivable benefit to this?

For who? As an employee I might appreciate the extra time to daydream while the hard drive and cpu are pegged.

Serious answer: no, your IT is incompetent and should be fired.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Hipster_Doofus posted:

For who? As an employee I might appreciate the extra time to daydream while the hard drive and cpu are pegged.

Serious answer: no, your IT is incompetent and should be fired.

tbf two of the products are mcaffee and sophos iirc, which are reportedly about as effective as a marshmallow dildo. maybe using both is a misguided attempt to cover all their bases? the only available browser is IE, which, i mean, fair enough since there seems to be a ton of web-based software that i bet only works on IE. they're at least shrewd enough to block pretty much all ads though some kind of proxy

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Question about recovering deleted files. On my media server I accidentally shift-deleted a folder containing quite a hefty amount of large files, probably 100gigs overall. It was contained on a drive that is used purely for storage, and does not have windows installed on it, so I think there is a low chance that amount of files would be rewritten.

However, when using recovery programs like Recuva, which claim to be able to recover shift-deleted files with ease, I can't seem to detect the folder/files at all with any of their scans. I know the exact directory I deleted them from, yet they never show up.

I was reading some faqs to see if I could be missing something, and I read somewhere that if you delete the folder instead of the files themselves, that makes them much harder to find/recover.

Is this true? Is there anyway to get my files back? Is there a specific program or mode I should be using to locate the files?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

First up, if that storage drive is an SSD then forget it.
If not, then recovery tools have 2 options. One, they scan the MFT (or similar, depending on the file system you are using) looking for deleted records and rebuild those. If that goes nowhere then they have to do a signature search across the entire disk. This will take a lot of time, and has some caveats:

1. Big files must be contiguous, as a signature search just finds the start of a file and saves out X number of bytes after that - it doesn't follow any sort of file fragmentation around the disk.
2. The file signature should have a data field that tells the program how big that file is. JPGs have this, for example. If they don't, then the program just makes a guess as to how many bytes to copy out which is always wrong but may not matter. If your video has 100MB of garbage on the end maybe it still plays fine as your playback tool ignores that extra data.

Some tools may have better signature databases than others, search the MFT more thoroughly, etc so it is always worthwhile trying a few.

I've never thought about how deleting a folder rather than the files inside may or may not make recovery harder. It may make a search of the MFT trickier but I'd have to go back through my material and do some testing to really know for sure. I'm not sure off the top of my head if Microsoft marks a folder as deleted and assumes any children are deleted also, or if it goes to those child records as well and specifically marks them as deleted, or any other of a number of things it could do. With the way Windows caches writes it's hard to just time operations and disk access and make any firm conclusions on that alone.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I have an Excel question.

Every day, I export a report from our accounting system in Excel format, and I have another workbook that I copy the entire worksheet in to. The other tab of this workbook has some VLOOKUP functions to pull data from the exported report and present it in a more user friendly fashion.

The problem I am running in to is that the accounting system sometimes appends a space to the end of certain values. Is there a way (I assume with a regex but I don’t know about anything those) to account for this space when it is there? My current workaround is to manually edit the formulas to add or remove the space and there is bound to be a better way than that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

=TRIM() will remove any spaces at the start or beginning of a cell's value. Wrapping your VLOOKUP value in that should do the job.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Gromit posted:

First up, if that storage drive is an SSD then forget it.
If not, then recovery tools have 2 options. One, they scan the MFT (or similar, depending on the file system you are using) looking for deleted records and rebuild those. If that goes nowhere then they have to do a signature search across the entire disk. This will take a lot of time, and has some caveats:

1. Big files must be contiguous, as a signature search just finds the start of a file and saves out X number of bytes after that - it doesn't follow any sort of file fragmentation around the disk.
2. The file signature should have a data field that tells the program how big that file is. JPGs have this, for example. If they don't, then the program just makes a guess as to how many bytes to copy out which is always wrong but may not matter. If your video has 100MB of garbage on the end maybe it still plays fine as your playback tool ignores that extra data.

Some tools may have better signature databases than others, search the MFT more thoroughly, etc so it is always worthwhile trying a few.

I've never thought about how deleting a folder rather than the files inside may or may not make recovery harder. It may make a search of the MFT trickier but I'd have to go back through my material and do some testing to really know for sure. I'm not sure off the top of my head if Microsoft marks a folder as deleted and assumes any children are deleted also, or if it goes to those child records as well and specifically marks them as deleted, or any other of a number of things it could do. With the way Windows caches writes it's hard to just time operations and disk access and make any firm conclusions on that alone.

That doesn't sound encouraging at all. It was not an SSD, just a standard hard drive with no programs or anything. It's simply a storage drive. Iv'e tried about 3 different programs, and none have been able to even see the files or deleted folder. Any recommendations for a specific program?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Megasabin posted:

That doesn't sound encouraging at all. It was not an SSD, just a standard hard drive with no programs or anything. It's simply a storage drive. Iv'e tried about 3 different programs, and none have been able to even see the files or deleted folder. Any recommendations for a specific program?
Have you tried GetDataBack? I've had luck with it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's a good PDF editor?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Josh Lyman posted:

What's a good PDF editor?

How do you want to edit a pdf?

PDFsam is great if you want to exclusively split and/or merge a pdf.

If you want to mark up a pdf, run OCR, highlight, redact, etc. your options are more limited.

Adobe Professional is the industry standard, but is expensive and the GUI is geared towards your technophobic great-aunt.

Google Drive has PDF support and OCR, so at least you can dump the text into a word processor and get some value out of it.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

Word (as of 2013) can open and do a passable conversion of PDFs if the layout isn't too crazy (and obviously let you save as PDF again afterwards). Doesn't help if you just want to edit a PDF in-place though.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The Draw program included in Libreoffice can open and edit most PDFs, assuming they are not images internally.

No need to convert to a different format as it can work on them directly.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Why does group policy hate me?

I'm trying to the ol "Disallow everything, only whitelist certain locations" software restrictions but it continues to let me run programs from the god damned downloads folder. And yes, I gpudate'd and restarted.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gozinbulx posted:

Why does group policy hate me?

I'm trying to the ol "Disallow everything, only whitelist certain locations" software restrictions but it continues to let me run programs from the god damned downloads folder. And yes, I gpudate'd and restarted.

Are you local admin?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

stevewm posted:

The Draw program included in Libreoffice can open and edit most PDFs, assuming they are not images internally.

Speaking of: how's LibreOffice these days? I've not used the suite for a few years, but I remember odd 'quirks' in how it opened & saved DOCX/XLSX formats - table layouts saving fine but not quite looking right when opened again in MS Office, and so on.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I haven't used it much for that purpose, but I've had doc files open up with weird formatting before. Anything a little more complicated seemed to fail. Exporting doc files seemed okay.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

GreenNight posted:

Are you local admin?

When I test it? No. I log in as a user in the group for which the group policy applies.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does anyone know how to turn off the "I've spotted a possible scheduling conflict" notifications from Cortana? I actually like Cortana, but my calendar is always double- or triple-booked so these notifications are just annoying.

Failing that, I can't seem to find a product suggestions page for Cortana, such as those for Flow, Teams, etc.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

spincube posted:

Speaking of: how's LibreOffice these days? I've not used the suite for a few years, but I remember odd 'quirks' in how it opened & saved DOCX/XLSX formats - table layouts saving fine but not quite looking right when opened again in MS Office, and so on.

It has advanced quite a bit. They just recently released LO 6. It supports silent deployment (MSI) and is completely configurable via GPO now. (ADMX templates here: https://github.com/CollaboraOnline/ADMX) MS Office interop is pretty good these days especially with the DOCX/XLSX formats. I haven't seen formatting issues crop up since LO 4.

At my work it is used in lieu of MS Office and has been for several years (used to be OpenOffice) Only a handful of people have MS Office, and only out of necessity due to a handful of custom apps that require somewhat complicated Excel Macros. I configure LO to save in the Office XML formats by default, just in case someone sends a document externally.

With the release of LO6 they have started experimenting with a ribbon-esque interface, but it is not enabled by default.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I added a ssd to my PC while I still had the old Boot-HD installed. Then I installed Win 10 on the ssd. Then I removed the old Boot-spinner-HD. Windows 10 still gives me the option to boot from two sources. One works (the ssd) the other does not (the hd is not present anymore). Is there a way to remove this dialogue where it lets me choose the windows installation? Thank you very much.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Is there a way to remove this dialogue where it lets me choose the windows installation? Thank you very much.

Try running msconfig and go to the boot tab and delete the option you don't want.

Edit: You should also be able to go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System\Advanced system settings\Startup and Recovery Settings, and uncheck "Time to display list of operating systems"

zebez fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 9, 2018

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Worked perfectly. Thanks, zebez!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
What antivirus are people fond of these days? NOD32 still a favorite?

my main concern is to not be hacked by hackers :ohdear: so if a good firewall is important or other heuristic scanning included that would be nice. I don't care about speed in this case as long as it does the job well.

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 10, 2018