Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Juchero posted:

well, i mean tired mortiz suggested killing a lurker

i asked them which lurker and provided a handy list

then they picked chaoslord, not knowing what they were choosing

then i typed out a dayvig

as to why, day 1 was getting really boring and i thought this might inspire some activity

why not choose a lurker yourself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah, why just blindly listen to Tired, if you'd waited for a bit more debate or something I'd have recommended Nevergirls instead, for lurking AND showing up to say they just want to vote for some of the most active posters :v: (one of whom is the towniest town, even!)

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Vijs are never used correctly

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Your Personal Muse posted:

Vijs are never said correctly

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
I am going to put Juchero in the "too dumb to be scum" category tbqh.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

flerp posted:

why not choose a lurker yourself?

wouldn't be as fun

Bifauxnen posted:

Yeah, why just blindly listen to Tired, if you'd waited for a bit more debate or something I'd have recommended Nevergirls instead, for lurking AND showing up to say they just want to vote for some of the most active posters :v: (one of whom is the towniest town, even!)

shrug

that would have been a good choice

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Juchero posted:

wouldn't be as fun

shrug

that would have been a good choice

Since you blew your load, who are you?

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Truth Quark posted:

I am going to put Juchero in the "too dumb to be scum" category tbqh.

that bit me in the rear end last time this stupid happened

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

flerp posted:

that bit me in the rear end last time this stupid poo poo happened

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

flerp posted:

that bit me in the rear end last time this stupid happened

Same, thinking of Magnus Gallant in the last game I played, but there was zero reason to think CL would flip anything useful. I dunno. I’d feel a lot better if the person coming forward to say it was a town move wasn’t my top scum pick.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Since you blew your load, who are you?

barrett

i had a dayvig

town

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Asphyxious posted:

Same, thinking of Magnus Gallant in the last game I played, but there was zero reason to think CL would flip anything useful. I dunno. I’d feel a lot better if the person coming forward to say it was a town move wasn’t my top scum pick.

I mean, the scum motivation is to have a chance at picking off a town power role with no chance of them claiming (which happened). Sure, if you're town you have a chance at hitting scum, but the percentage of scum vs. town usually goes up over the first couple days what with night kills and the fact that D1/D2 lynches tend to be mislynches.

Why would you shoot a "lurker" during the superbowl? Also, I think he should claim.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Juchero posted:

barrett

i had a dayvig

town

At least the flavor is consistent.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Anomalous Amalgam replaces Pmush!

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

Bifauxnen (3): Truth Quark, IllegallySober, Little Mac, Truth Quark, flerp, GeneX, Tobbs Gnawed, Tobbs Gnawed, flerp
Tobbs Gnawed (3): Your Personal Muse, flerp, Moatillata, Truth Quark, Truth Quark, flerp, Moatillata, Juchero, GulagDolls, Bifauxnen, flerp, Tobbs Gnawed, Bifauxnen, Juchero, Tobbs Gnawed
Podima (2): GeneX, GeneX, Bifauxnen, Juchero
Truth Quark (2): Anomalous Amalgam, Bifauxnen, Asphyxious, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
flerp (2): chaoslord, Dick Bastardly
tithin (2): King Burgundy, Tobbs Gnawed, Asiina, Tobbs Gnawed, Asiina, Asiina
Your Personal Muse (1): Tobbs Gnawed, Tobbs Gnawed, Asiina, Truth Quark, Asiina
Moatillata (1): Tobbs Gnawed, Tobbs Gnawed, Tobbs Gnawed
Mithross (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen
King Burgundy (0): Bifauxnen, Bifauxnen, Tobbs Gnawed, Tobbs Gnawed
Asphyxious (0): GulagDolls, Truth Quark, GulagDolls, Truth Quark

Not Voting (9): b-minus1, Hal Incandenza, Mithross, Moatillata, Natural 20, NevergirlsOFFICIAL, Podima, Tired Moritz, tithin

With 25 alive, it's 13 votes to execute. The current deadline is February 05th, 2018 at 11:30 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 day, 1 hour.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Ok, so I clearly caught up at an opportune time.

I want to read something into that dayvig (VIG damnit!) but stupid d1 vigs are such a null tell. I wish they weren't but it's the nature of the beast. Give someone a dayvig and they will shoot town d1. (Favorite reasoning someone gave for doing so: "I single handedly cleared birdstrike as town!")

I can see why people got suspicious of TQ, but am not interested in voting for them currently.

I agree to a point with where bif is going on the Podima case.

CapitalistPig posted:

Anomalous Amalgam replaces Pmush!

whelp

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Mithross posted:

I agree to a point with where bif is going on the Podima case I don't know that it's worth a lunch yet but it's worth a reread

I previewed and didn't finish my thought.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Viging someone randomly D1 is dumb but no dumber than literally every other D1 vig to ever exist.

Including the time I vigged Capps based on a dream I had.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Asiina posted:

Viging someone randomly D1 is dumb but no dumber than literally every other D1 vig to ever exist.

You have to ~♡~Follow Your Dreams~♡~

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

i was sitting right there
you could have vij'd me
you fools

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Little Mac posted:

i was sitting right there
you could have vig'd me
you fools

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

this is a bad post but you'll understand it more when my power reaches maximum

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Little Mac posted:

this is a bad post but you'll understand it more when my power reaches maximum

I am already at my maximum power.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Greetings. I am in this game now.

Reading things.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I mean, the scum motivation is to have a chance at picking off a town power role with no chance of them claiming (which happened). Sure, if you're town you have a chance at hitting scum, but the percentage of scum vs. town usually goes up over the first couple days what with night kills and the fact that D1/D2 lynches tend to be mislynches.

Why would you shoot a "lurker" during the superbowl? Also, I think he should claim.

I can just think of so so so many better ways to use a vig as Town or scum, but mainly if you were a scum vig wouldn’t you want to use it more tactically? Is it getting into wifom territory to think of excessively lovely dayvigs as Town cred tactic?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Asphyxious posted:

I can just think of so so so many better ways to use a vig as Town or scum, but mainly if you were a scum vig wouldn’t you want to use it more tactically? Is it getting into wifom territory to think of excessively lovely dayvigs as Town cred tactic?

Worked for Mags

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Playing FF7 For the first time chat:

Playing this has made me begin to realise why people didn’t like FF8 that much. The setting is fantastic, there’s this great sense of fun and colour to everything BUT the stakes are so high from the get go. I’ve just got up to shinra dropping the plate on sector 7 and the whole time I’m like “yeah the heroes will stop it” but NOPE the whole town crushed, and an already lovely life in a lovely world just got shitter. Comparatively at this stage in FF8 I think I’m still wandering around quaint little towns doing nothing of real importance.

The sense of anger and desperation from the main characters is palpable, and the fact every backdrop looks so trashed gives the whole game a really bleak but engaging feel. Loving it so far!

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Worked for Mags

Yeah this is my issue.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

magnus is an outlier

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Asphyxious posted:

Not excessively wifom, but you may be overthinking it.

I'm inclined to go with it based on the defense though because Holy poo poo was that garbage

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

tithin posted:

I'm inclined to go with it based on the defense though because Holy poo poo was that garbage

Let he who hast never done an impulsive vig cast the first vote.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

I mean at least it was a town busdriver which probably would have somehow ended up screwing over the town at some point

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Hal Incandenza posted:

I mean at least it was a town busdriver which probably would have somehow ended up screwing over the town at some point

yeah but now im gonna be late for work tomorrow :(

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

flerp posted:

just gotta find town uberdriver

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

tithin posted:

Nah I don’t think I am.

GulagDolls posted:

magnus is an outlier

I agree with this, I think it’s bad/dumb town play not a scum bid.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

flerp posted:

Lol

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sorry CL. If I knew you were gonna get vig'd, I wouldnt had said anything.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Asphyxious posted:

I agree with this, I think it’s bad/dumb town play not a scum bid.

I agree that it's probably too attention grabbing for a scum d1 play. I'm going to treat it as slightly town/basically null, though.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Asiina posted:

Let he who hast never done an impulsive vig cast the first vote.

Does an impulsive, day-ending forced lynch count? Because I've done that one.

##vote Pod. For real this time, not just to add a tide pod joke to his list of aliases. Definitely feeling better about Bif now that she's gotten going on her own and started examining posts for logical discrepancies, think Pod somehow coming out of things with a townread on TQ and a fairly weak strike on Gaspy for being suspicious of TQ to the point of nominal certainty is poor.

Here's TQ's contributions, incompletely but accurately summarized:

- jokevote on Bif
- doubly joking vote on tobbs (felt to me, as I've said, like scum trying to blend in and overdoing it)
- more jokes
- another joke, post-a bit of suspicion (feels better, jokes seem less calculated if they're continuing after pressure is happening.)
- yet another joke, this time kinda out of jokephase
- This: "I'm gonna be honest, I haven't played FFVII (queue dogpile of votes), so yeah I haven't participated in the FFVII friend chat that has dominated the game so far. I also don't mind going out D1, but only because it would give Gaspy a nice big data point against his F O R E N S I C L I N G U I S T I C S nonsense." (Not a fan of him preemptively excusing non-participation in jokephase [since it stacks with my feeling that he was overly concerned about his appearance in the phase], not sure how I feel about the fatalist bit.)
- A general "screw you" to KB but phrased a bit vaguely, a misrepresentation of Bif and Gaspy's thoughts on him as SUPER HARD CASING
- Oh wait okay it's just phrasing differences, scratch that feeling on the last bit.
- some fluffposts (I hope like hell y'all know what this means because I'm already refraining from referring to jokephase as RVS and don't want to have to change more of my mafia lexicon)
- jokevote on YPM
- complete lack of care at Gaspy going after him
- has a Pod theory, isn't sharing it (why?)
- "look at all the lurkers!", he cried
- our dayvig is too dumb to be scum (uh...)

I'm kinda back to suspicion about his jokephase activity, though that's not really a wall I'm comfortable leaning against, and certainly not enough to want him lynched. The bit with phrasing issues reads genuine, but I'm not a fan of him explicitly not stating a position on Pod or implicitly calling out lurkers this early. Would say I've got a scum lean on him, overall, though nothing approaching a major read.

Anyway, back to Pod, who's suspicious of Gaspy for sounding certain about who he wants to lynch. That's... a real reach. Not even because I agree with Gaspy — I personally think that Gaspy is town, overreacting to someone being rude to his friend — but rather because the specific subject Pod is hitting on is the certainty part, not the poking at TQ, given Pod's read of "fine" on TQ. Jumping on his wording (certainty) rather than his content (his read on TQ) when you look set up to examine the latter is pretty dubious. That ties in with him saying he wants to reread, which...he has a handle on TQ, apparently (one that conflicts with mine), which should mean he has at least some handle on Gaspy's case (what little of it exists in wording rather than implication) on TQ, but Pod's only talking about the wording.

TL;DR: I think Pod is poking at the wrong part of Gaspy's stuff to be consistent with what is implied by his reading TQ as fine. He's talking about TQ, and he's talking about how Gaspy's framing his case on TQ, but he isn't actually talking about the case itself...which is rather necessary to judge the framing and/or TQ.

As such, Pod: Assuming for the moment that you really do need to reread, what do you actually think of Gaspy overall at this point? How about Bif?

Other things:
- tobbs doesn't seem like a jester, he seems like someone shitposting like someone who wants to look like a jester. It's weird and I can't get a read on it. He's gotten better though, the suspicion of Gaspy for waiting to drop a vote is a positive.
- YPM's case is absurd and honestly believing that anyone considered the possibility of an n0 cop is paranoid beyond belief. Still, it's very much a normal YPM move to get absolutely fixated on one thing D1 and just hammer it into dust, so it's null until we learn anything about his targets.
- Why am I cursed with D1 dayvigs? That shot was weird, stupid, and probably from town but...ongoing game, so I can't really contrast/compare it to Mr F's scum garbageposting power hour.
- Still not happy with tithin going full metagame-y "your D1 lynch cases are all awful, always", espeically when he's also freaking out of a 4 vote jokewagon (and a 1 real vote appendix). What's the problem with votes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Asiina posted:

As Gene said, can't talk about ongoing games etc... but I think this vig is not so terrible. Vigging the lurkiest player is alignment neutral, certainly more understandable than picking a totally random player who is actually contributing.

Although CL was probably likely to pick up his game at some point so kind of rude.

• Locked thread