Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
lol @ those old timey concepts like oyez and god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

If we're free, tell me why
I can't look in my brother's eye
On looking back it's this post that made me suspicious of Moatillata

Moatillata posted:

This is also p rude way to treat the fng

I guess because he's like defending me from tobbs vote. I think Tobb's vote was pretty obviously not serious so it feels more like Moatillata is trying to get me on their side or something. Like, think Tobb's vote was the opposite of rude basically, since I see it as an effort to include me in the jokes that were happening early on.

On the other hand, while looking back I noticed this:

merk posted:

Caught.

It reminds me of when I've played this game in person, people would always do these sarcastic confessions and stuff, and they would always turn out to be the mafia (or werewolf)

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
also thats just the supreme court calldown

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

got some chores tonight posted:

also thats just the supreme court calldown

it's apparently a standard announcement coming from Old England.

Tolly Totes posted:

It reminds me of when I've played this game in person, people would always do these sarcastic confessions and stuff, and they would always turn out to be the mafia (or werewolf)
this is a good point.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Mmt do you really think the whole scum team is voting you?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

EccoRaven posted:

it's apparently a standard announcement coming from Old England.

this is a good point.

I disagree, I think it's a fake point.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

CCKeane posted:

I disagree, I think it's a fake point.

I’m with Keane on this one.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Actually TT has pinged me a couple of times now.

##vote Tolly Totes

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Asphyxious posted:

##vote Tolly Totes

How so?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Asphyxious posted:

##vote Tolly Totes

First time player. I'm more suspicious of ecco for agreeing.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

CCKeane posted:

First time player on the forums, not in general.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

Look at the context in which it was said, it was just after Merk was accused of being overly self conscious, and the first thing he returns with an overly casual and sarcastic response. That's how I see it anyway, not a whole lot to go off of obviously.

CCKeane posted:

Nah, you can talk to me directly if you want to disagree. I'd much prefer that than being dismissed to set up an argument with some other player.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
:rip: joke phase

:(

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tolly Totes posted:

Look at the context in which it was said, it was just after Merk was accused of being overly self conscious, and the first thing he returns with an overly casual and sarcastic response. That's how I see it anyway, not a whole lot to go off of obviously.

Nah, you can talk to me directly if you want to disagree. I'd much prefer that than being dismissed to set up an argument with some other player.

That's very unfortunate, because I am going to dismiss you while being suspicious of ecco. Agreeing with a faulty case is different from making one, and it is entirely possible to be ambivalent toward one player while suspicious of another because of it.

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

CCKeane posted:

That's very unfortunate, because I am going to dismiss you while being suspicious of ecco. Agreeing with a faulty case is different from making one, and it is entirely possible to be ambivalent toward one player while suspicious of another because of it.

Explain why you disagree then? You called it fake, not faulty.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tolly Totes posted:

Explain why you disagree then? You called it fake, not faulty.

I did, that element largely directed at Ecco.

The point comes from a flawed premise that interactions in a life game, where providing immediate and conceivable reactions to cases and statements are tantamount, are equivalent to a play by post game where there is no such need. Merk doesn't need to disguise motive, and can take as long as he wants to respond, so disguising truth in sarcasm is unlikely to be a tactic. Additionally, merk as a player, and as a player ecco has played with before, is not inclined to act in that way.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Moatillata posted:

Dickyb is the easiest mislynch other than myself

This is suspect

Moatillata posted:

I would agree with opop tho
:thunk:

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Conflating the two is disingenuous pmom

Dicky b posts in an extremely scummy manner at all times

Opop does not post

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I think moat is complimenting you opop.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
Oops nevermind.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

DB is scum......

of my heart. Happy Valentine's day.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

CCKeane posted:

DB is scum......

of my heart. Happy Valentine's day.

Aaawwww shucks :blush:

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
##unvote

Tolly Totes
Oct 12, 2016

CCKeane posted:

I did, that element largely directed at Ecco.

It certainly didn't sound like that! You said it was a fake point, not a fake agreement. I know this is a nitpick, but your insistence that Ecco comes off worse than I do is puzzling, especially since the original objection really seems to be about the point itself as opposed to the agreement.

CCKeane posted:

The point comes from a flawed premise that interactions in a life game, where providing immediate and conceivable reactions to cases and statements are tantamount, are equivalent to a play by post game where there is no such need. Merk doesn't need to disguise motive, and can take as long as he wants to respond, so disguising truth in sarcasm is unlikely to be a tactic. Additionally, merk as a player, and as a player ecco has played with before, is not inclined to act in that way.

The game is the same. You have more control over what you say, sure, but doesn't that make your choices more important? Disguising motive or figuring out if people are disguising motive is the whole game.

I went back and checked, Merk responded within 10 minutes of the post they responded to, presumably as soon as they saw it. It was an immediate reaction and I think it looks defensive, especially because Merk was just accused of being overly self conscious.

I suppose I don't know the players in question, it's true.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Tolly Totes posted:

It certainly didn't sound like that! You said it was a fake point, not a fake agreement. I know this is a nitpick, but your insistence that Ecco comes off worse than I do is puzzling, especially since the original objection really seems to be about the point itself as opposed to the agreement.

The game is the same. You have more control over what you say, sure, but doesn't that make your choices more important? Disguising motive or figuring out if people are disguising motive is the whole game.

I went back and checked, Merk responded within 10 minutes of the post they responded to, presumably as soon as they saw it. It was an immediate reaction and I think it looks defensive, especially because Merk was just accused of being overly self conscious.

Oh my god this is either a parachute account or it's kismet

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Tolly Totes posted:

Okay.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Moatillata posted:

I've literally never been more serious about anything in my life.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

Can confirm.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Murmur Twin posted:

For posterity

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Also I was kind if hoping for more :words: from you mmt

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

You know those posts update when votefinder updates.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

You know those posts update when votefinder updates.

Well drat.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
See watch.

##vote MMT

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I got you, friends.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Great minds keane

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

---

(a) It's day one.
(b) It's Valentine's Day and I've been doing stuff.
(c) How can you actually possibly think I was being serious when I said that? Of course I don't really think the scumteam are the first four people to vote for me.

##vote Moat - I don't think this is a real case, I think it's him trying to sound town.

Also am I really at -4? That's super rude.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Murmur Twin posted:

(a) It's day one.
(b) It's Valentine's Day and I've been doing stuff.
(c) How can you actually possibly think I was being serious when I said that? Of course I don't really think the scumteam are the first four people to vote for me.

##vote Moat - I don't think this is a real case, I think it's him trying to sound town.

Also am I really at -4? That's super rude.

It's not even a case?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Moatillata posted:

It's not even a case?

It's not like there's a huge case history to search through and analyze? Yeah I know I like to tunnel, but that impulse doesn't usually kick in until the game has properly started.

Like did you actually think I thought the scumteam was comprised of the people voting for me? I figured it was you trying to carry us out of jokephase.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Murmur Twin posted:

It's not like there's a huge case history to search through and analyze? Yeah I know I like to tunnel, but that impulse doesn't usually kick in until the game has properly started.

Like did you actually think I thought the scumteam was comprised of the people voting for me? I figured it was you trying to carry us out of jokephase.

I asked the question because I thought you would answer it... You did. I was interested to hear your theory but I guess it was joke

Why are you so defensive if you were just joking anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Tolly Totes posted:

On looking back it's this post that made me suspicious of Moatillata

I guess because he's like defending me from tobbs vote. I think Tobb's vote was pretty obviously not serious so it feels more like Moatillata is trying to get me on their side or something. Like, think Tobb's vote was the opposite of rude basically, since I see it as an effort to include me in the jokes that were happening early on.

On the other hand, while looking back I noticed this:

You got me.

• Locked thread