Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Next program to get shut down?
This poll is closed.
for the love of god please coach k 85 53.13%
Kansas 25 15.63%
Kentucky 21 13.13%
Some MVC team that no one cares about 29 18.13%
Total: 128 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

kiimo posted:

I'm going to have to hear an argument why 22-5 traditional basketball power Ohio State is more impressive than 22-3 N'body give two poo poo bout round ball, Son! Auburn

Bruce Pearl's recruiting punching well above Auburn's weight somehow, hmmmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

the mean lunch lady posted:

Bruce Pearl's recruiting punching well above Auburn's weight somehow, hmmmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmm

It’s all about the BBQs man

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

kiimo posted:

I'm going to have to hear an argument why 22-5 traditional basketball power Ohio State is more impressive than 22-3 N'body give two poo poo bout round ball, Son! Auburn

In all honesty they are both fantastic options for NCoY (as are Bennett and Martin). B1G is much more present in my world and seeing Holtmann take the program that Thad Matta obliterated and bring it up the way he has has been really impressive.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Y'all fuckers forgetting what Tennessee is doing this year?

yes yes the others are more impressive i'm just happy with what tennessee has been doing

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Joey Freshwater posted:

Y'all fuckers forgetting what Tennessee is doing this year?

yes yes the others are more impressive i'm just happy with what tennessee has been doing

Rick Barnes should be ahead of Bruce Pearl imo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn opens 1-16 from the floor, winds up covering 9.5 against Kentucky.

Sounds like there's a lot of good candidates and there's still the investigation hanging over his head so who knows how the CotY vote splits but... y'all know how bad we were before this right? I remember having a conversation before the news broke and we were like "year four of six, would be nice to start seeing results but if we bubble this year and maybe make MSG that's a sign of progress and in any case nobody should be giving him any poo poo until year 6."

We're a super bad program.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

kiimo posted:

The two years previous, Ohio State might as well have been Auburn and Pearl's had four years to put this together as opposed to the four months Holtmann had.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I'm laughing at the sob stories of how bad your teams have been the last couple years.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Auburn opens 1-16 from the floor, winds up covering 9.5 against Kentucky.

Sounds like there's a lot of good candidates and there's still the investigation hanging over his head so who knows how the CotY vote splits but... y'all know how bad we were before this right? I remember having a conversation before the news broke and we were like "year four of six, would be nice to start seeing results but if we bubble this year and maybe make MSG that's a sign of progress and in any case nobody should be giving him any poo poo until year 6."

We're a super bad program.

Any other year, I'd say that Pearl's got a good shot at national COTY, buuuuut this year you have Holtmann who has Ohio State in the top 10 in his first season, and Beard, who has Texas Tech in the top 10 in his second season.

If Tech wins the Big XII, breaks the streak, and doesn't bomb out first weekend of the Tournament, there's no way Beard is not national COTY, imo.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

sportsgenius86 posted:

The two years previous, Ohio State might as well have been Auburn and Pearl's had four years to put this together as opposed to the four months Holtmann had.

As much as I'm still mad at him (I hold sports grudges. It's dumb, but :shrug:) for bailing on Butler and costing us one of the best recruiting classes we've had, he has really done a great job at OSU in a short amount of time. He'd be my vote for COY.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Mike_V posted:

I'm laughing at the sob stories of how bad your teams have been the last couple years.

Right?! Mizzou could possibly pass its win total from the last THREE years this season

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There's a press conference going on by Reggie Lynch right now and the tl;dr is that he's denying all allegations but doesn't feel the appeals process will be fair to him so he's forgoing it, meaning that he's now expelled from the University of Minnesota.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/964274750439731200

1) players getting paid is indisputably good, cool, and just

2) it'll still be super funny if coach k is implicated

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Like Coach K would ever pay his players.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

Like Coach K would ever pay his players.

we'll know for sure if his back starts acting up in the next few weeks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If Kansas manages to avoid any trouble I'm going to light Michigan State chat boards on fire for their "Dollar Bill" nonsense.

IF.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol UNC is absolutely hosed.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I don't often count myself as eager in the anticipation of the outcome of a corruption probe, but holy balls can I not wait to see who all gets snared up in this.

Watch it turn out that John Calipari is the only clean one.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Since Adidas is already balls deep in this, I'd be worried if my team was an Adidas team.

GhostOfMagellan
Mar 12, 2012
Seriously just execute Matt Painter's dumb rear end and also half the team.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
excited to see butler and wichita state be named national champs

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Metapod posted:

MY MAN

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Metapod posted:

Wichita State is definitely dirty, gently caress 'em.

I'll allow Butler.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/964274750439731200

1) players getting paid is indisputably good, cool, and just

2) it'll still be super funny if coach k is implicated

Sounds like everyone’s hosed so it honestly doesn’t seem like a huge deal for any individual team. Paying players would be the coolest thing K’s ever done so I wouldn’t mind.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tony Carr rules

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: not Gameday thread.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

drat Top 10 teams keeps losing this is a fun year.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Wichita State is definitely dirty, gently caress 'em.

I'll allow Butler.

i think you'll find that kansas is the dirty team in kansas

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Metapod posted:

jayhawks ain't playing at Koch Arena

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Uh, what happened in the Big Ten tonight?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Henchman of Santa posted:

Uh, what happened in the Big Ten tonight?

Somehow the badgers beat *checks notes*

#6 Purdue? :stare:

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
mid major schools will be hammered with sanctions, while most blue bloods will avoid punishment

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Metapod posted:

This reads like a “yeah but what about OBAMA” hot take

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/BTNBrentYarina/status/964487711313793024

Pretty much

Also, as a Nebraska fan, I definitely knew back in November that I'd be investing emotional energy in the Feb. 16 Rhode Island-St. Bonaventure game, go Rams bitch

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
we should probs stop buying into the ncaas dumb amateurism fraud and referring to the act of giving players money that by all rights they earned as "dirty" imo

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There's another OTL report about MSU, this time re: walk-on freshman Brock Washington.
http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/...estigation-espn

quote:

Michigan State freshman guard subject of criminal sexual conduct investigation
A member of Michigan State's No. 2-ranked basketball team has been under investigation for criminal sexual conduct since the start of the fall semester, sources close to the case confirmed to Outside the Lines on Thursday.

Ingham County, Michigan, prosecutors are in the process of determining whether formal charges should be filed against the player, freshman guard Brock Washington. Washington, a walk-on from Southfield, Michigan, is named as the lone suspect in an alleged assault that Michigan State campus police have classified as fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, the sources told Outside the Lines.

In August, a female student reported to campus police that Washington groped her without her permission, the sources told Outside the Lines. After an investigation, police on Dec. 13 forwarded their findings to the county prosecutor's office.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston's win over Cincinnati last night was the first win over a top five team since the days of Phi Slama Jama. Should be the first at-large tournament berth since then as well.

I can celebrate Houston basketball not being dead for a day :unsmith:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
wrong thread so replacing this with real info:

Rhode Island lost, so the two longest winning streaks in D1 are now Vermont with 15 and Grambling(!) with 10.

elentar fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

b-minus1 posted:

mid major schools will be hammered with sanctions, while most blue bloods will avoid punishment

Yeah. Some dumbfuck poo poo school (evansville) will get murdered and Duke will win the National Championship

• Locked thread