Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
By hacked DNC you mean Podesta sent all his passwords to BigBoobsUkraine@kgb.info

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
https://www.wired.com/story/russia-election-hacking-playbook/

quote:

This week, the national-security-focused news outlet the Intercept published a top-secret NSA file outlining how Russian hackers, believed to have been part of the country's GRU military agency, attempted to phish the credentials of employees at VR Systems, a Florida-based tech firm that sells equipment and software used in voting registration. The leak represents the first solid evidence that Russian election hacking has escalated beyond mere political leaks and disinformation to threaten the core systems of America’s voting apparatus.

"We were all kind of hoping that the election hacking was at the cognitive level: propaganda, doxing, influence operations. But this is proof that they were actually closer to the tactical, technical level," says Kenneth Geers, an ambassador to NATO's Cyber Center who has long followed Russian hacking campaigns. “They were closer to the guts, to the operating system of our democracy, than we knew.”

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In conclusion, the people in charge of the electoral infrastructure are morons who get scammed by the same tactics as your blind grandma.

To an outsider, that's just loving hilarious.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

By hacked DNC you mean Podesta sent all his passwords to BigBoobsUkraine@kgb.info

That's hacking nowadays.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

In conclusion, the people in charge of the electoral infrastructure are morons who get scammed by the same tactics as your blind grandma.

you forgot to blame hillary

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

steinrokkan posted:

No argument that Podesta/Mook were dumbfucks, yeah

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
hacking = gaining access to secure computer systems by any means necessary. usually the weakest link in a well protected system is it's users. this is common sense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dyna Soar posted:

These are problems you should be solving yourselves by purging your leadership positions of idiots who are easily duped. Until then you'll never be safe :colbert:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Are either of you from or in the US? Not that I'm going to use that against you, just askin

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Are either of you from or in the US? Not that I'm going to use that against you, just askin

i am not and i honestly don't really care about the democratic party or if trump stays president. i'm interested in russian hacking.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

papers please

jesus you guys went full nationalism didnt you

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm not, I'm even perfidious Ivan's cousin, aka another shifty Slav (which OTOH hand means I have a much longer and richer experience with Russian meddling than Americans), but American politics is by far the best spectator sport.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not, I'm even perfidious Ivan's cousin, aka another shifty Slav (which OTOH hand means I have a much longer and richer experience with Russian meddling than Americans), but American politics is by far the best spectator sport.

russian troll, gotcha

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

Lmao dem tears over this have started a self sustaining reaction

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dyna Soar posted:

russian troll, gotcha

exactly, around slavs never relax

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Lmao dem tears over this have started a self sustaining reaction

no it's just funny that no matter how much proof of russian meddling i provide, the blame seems to always fall on the democrats and especially hillary.

steinrokkan posted:

exactly, around slavs never relax

finns and slavs are like water and oil

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That Russia lady hacker from up north can't keep getting away with it!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tiberius Christ posted:

papers please

jesus you guys went full nationalism didnt you

Niiiice

No I just think it's funny and I don't think either one of them realized that about the other person they were talking to :shrug:

e: If you can find any post I've ever written that does what you're saying I just did, print it out and shove it up your rear end
VVVV THAT GUY is the one that does that poo poo VVVV

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

no it's just funny that no matter how much proof of russian meddling i provide, the blame seems to always fall on the democrats and especially hillary.

finns and slavs are like water and oil

Well yeah that's because the blame falls on the democrats and especially Hillary hth

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Well yeah that's because the blame falls on the democrats and especially Hillary hth

the blame on what? the russian interference? which is what this topic is about?

like, did the democrats arrange this whole thing? a false flag operation?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
when you start a debate about the reasons why KMart is going out of business, it will always return to the topic of management and business strategies, no matter how much you want to convince people that KMart really went under because of a shoplifting problem. People return to analyzing the Democrats for the same reason, it's the more salient point.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 22, 2018

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

If you start a debate about the reasons why KMart is going out of business, it will always return to the topic of management business strategies, no matter how much you want to convince people that KMart really went under because of a shoplifting problem.

this is such a loving stupid analogy lol

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It isn't especially that it might have tipped the election, it's that they obviously tried, with a pretty broad spectrum of means including directly hacking the voting systems, and that should be discouraged.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Basically there are two points that are important, I think:
- The optimal outcome would be to reform the political system so intervention by hidden and foreign interests won't be so easy in the future. This won't happen because it would require some level of transparency from those in position of power.
- So that leaves you with the second point, make sure the narrative of "we did nothing wrong, Russia is the only problem" gets nipped in the bud so that Russiagate doesn't become a means to kill all the nascent political movements that grew out of 2016 and to cement the leadership role of those who lost that year.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

- The optimal outcome would be to reform the political system so intervention by hidden and foreign interests won't be so easy in the future. This won't happen because it would require some level of transparency from those in position of power.
- So that leaves you with the second point, make sure the narrative of "we did nothing wrong, Russia is the only problem" gets nipped in the bud so that Russiagate doesn't become a means to kill all the nascent political movements that grew out of 2016.

you forgot that they need to fix the unregulated & clickbait driven social media.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

because all this "proof" amounts to jack poo poo, russians didn't swing the election

when people start beating the war drums over emails because some people can't handle that a candidate lost it becomes a complete farce

calling Russian! on others because they disagree with the "proof" is disgustingly xenophobic

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Tiberius Christ posted:

because all this "proof" amounts to jack poo poo, russians didn't swing the election

jesus you guys are thick. no one, at least in this thread, is saying the russians won trump the election.

Tiberius Christ posted:

when people start beating the war drums over emails because some people can't handle that a candidate lost it becomes a complete farce

calling Russian! on others because they disagree with the "proof" is disgustingly xenophobic

christ you guys are thick. i've provided mountains of info on what the russians have done, it's not just shitposting on facebook (for 150 million users), it's not just hacking emails (and your election system), it's not just sending covert agents under false identities to sow discord when there's a presidential election. they also met with the team of your president!

it's not xenophobia when there's concrete proof of the russian goverment and GRU meddling in foreign elections. you need to go check what xenophobia means.

you guys are pretty drat thick.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Waltzing right on past the actual attempts at breaching US voting systems :confuoot:

https://www.npr.org/2017/09/22/552956517/ten-months-after-election-day-feds-tell-states-more-about-russian-hacking

quote:

Shortly after the call, Washington Secretary of State Kim Wyman announced that her state's election systems were among those that Russian hackers tried to break into last year, but that they had failed. "There was no successful intrusion and we immediately alerted the Federal Bureau of Investigation of the activities," she said in a statement.

Wyman says the state had security measures in place that detected the attempted intrusion.

The Connecticut Secretary of State's office said that DHS confirmed Russian hackers tried to break into the state's online voter registration system last year but did not succeed. A spokesman for the office said its information technology department detected and blocked the attempted intrusion but did not know who was probing the system.

Officials in California, Oregon and Wisconsin also said they were targeted.

In addition, officials from Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania and Virginia told The Associated Press that their states had been targeted.

Election officials in Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Mexico and North Carolina said their states were not targeted by hackers.

Kolasky says no information was provided in the calls that had not already been shared with others in the state.

"The good news is that, for the most part, most of the things that we saw attempted in 2016 were just that, attempts," he says. "There was nothing that impacted the voting tallies, as we said before, and for the most part, these attempts were not successful in any intrusions into systems."

Only two state election security breaches last year have been made public so far. Hackers were able to gain access to the records of tens of thousands of voters in Illinois' centralized registration database, but there is no sign any records were deleted or changed. Russian hackers also gained access to the password and other credentials of a county elections worker in Arizona. Again there is no evidence that records were altered.

Earlier this year, a leaked National Security Agency report also detailed attempts by Russian military intelligence to infiltrate an election software vendor's computer and to use that information to send emails containing malicious software to up to 122 local election offices. There is no evidence any of those emails were opened.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

That voting machine hacking story was debunked as another overblown, false and scaremongering affair by these same schmucks who gave Trump billions in free airtime

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/28/yet-another-major-russia-story-falls-apart-is-skepticism-permissible-yet/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That's patently wrong just in the first paragraph according to individual quotes of specific state reps cited in that NPR story, so .... :shrug:

e: I mean you literally did not look at info I just provided you, one post up, SERIOUSLY GO EAT poo poo NERD lol

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kazak posted:

That voting machine hacking story was debunked as another overblown, false and scaremongering affair by these same schmucks who gave Trump billions in free airtime

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/28/yet-another-major-russia-story-falls-apart-is-skepticism-permissible-yet/

actually no, the whole thing was not debunked , and he says as much in his article you obviously didn't bother to read:

quote:

NONE OF THIS means that every Russia claim is false, nor does it disprove the accusation that Putin ordered the hacking of the DNC and John Podesta’s email inboxes (a claim for which, just by the way, still no evidence has been presented by the U.S. government). Perhaps there were some states (election systems) that were targeted, even though the key claims of this story, that attracted the most attention, have now been repudiated.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

So russians not only didn't hack our voting systems, they bought facebook ads and made a sex tape. So still a big fat loving load of bullshit. Maybe you should accuse some more posters of being agents of a foreign power cause you sad idiots have loving nothing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Jimmy Dore really fucks some people up :shrug:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

"nothing" is now synonymous with "shitloads of indictments"

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Tiberius Christ posted:

So russians not only didn't hack our voting systems, they bought facebook ads and made a sex tape. So still a big fat loving load of bullshit. Maybe you should accuse some more posters of being agents of a foreign power cause you sad idiots have loving nothing.

you need to work on your reading comprehension, hah.

if you'd bothered to read the links you provided, you'd have realised that homeland security made a mistake regarding wisonsin and california at this point of their investigation:

quote:

Wisconsin’s chief elections administrator, Michael Haas, had repeatedly said that Homeland Security assured the state it had not been targeted.

“Wisconsin was not provided any information that indicated before the November election that Russian government actors were targeting election systems,” Haas said.

He said one theory is that Homeland Security saw suspicious activity from IP addresses targeting state election systems in other states and assumed that was the intent in Wisconsin as well.

or they didn't even make a mistake, but the publicist did.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 22, 2018

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tiberius Christ posted:

I think they hacked your brain

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

actually no, the whole thing was not debunked , and he says as much in his article you obviously didn't bother to read:

Ha, perhaps Putin etched his pointy visage on the far side of the Moon, the investigation isn't over...

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

All these States coming forward to say they weren't hacked like some people would have you believe, and you still playin

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Your dumb eat poo poo ha ha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kazak posted:

All these States coming forward to say they weren't hacked like some people would have you believe, and you still playin

i will definitely believe the whole thing is bust once there's conclusive proof there was no hacking, sure
i mean we know IRA used vpn's, so IP addresses aren't that trustworthy in this case anyway

• Locked thread