Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Robert Mueller indicts some Russian nationals for interfering with the U.S. election.

A Russia based organization, Internet Research Agency, spent millions of dollars to troll the poo poo out of the United States. Mostly it seems like they wanted the election and the aftermath to cause as much harm as possible.

Highlights include:

Setting up hundreds of social media accounts to sow the seeds of discord.
Bashing Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio during the GOP primaries.
Supporting Bernie Sanders while bashing Hillary Clinton during the DNC primaries.
Supporting Donald Trump and bashing Clinton during the election proper.
Encouraging minorities to vote third-party.
Organizing political rallies after the election for the MAGA crowd and the #NotMyPresident crowd.

Verdict, Goons? Did the Russians just hate HRC for

or were they just knocking on her because she was favored to win the whole time?

Elpato fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For real and for 100% serious if that's the best they can come up with, "they trolled us," then that's loving weak as poo poo and a major disappointment and I can't believe they jerked everyone around for so long because, let's face it, they are salty about getting hacked during the primary and having it revealed to the world that they were in fact rigging it against Bernie.

quote:

spent millions of dollars to troll the poo poo out of the United States.

like lol I'm sorry how much ad spending happens in a presidential election? 'Millions' is a drop in the ocean.

quote:

Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton's campaign raised a total of $623 million, with at least $267 million coming from funds raised via two joint fundraising committees.

smd

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
in before people start whining about news threads in GBS because they're too stupid to realize that they don't have to read it

also already some conservatives are saying the "unwitting" part clears trump but lmao no it does not

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I think Russia's State Security apparatus just found an angle on a lot of people it didn't like at once, and realized they were holding some cards that were best played right then, per their doctrine.

Like lol if you think there's an escape helicopter coming for Trump

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

That Robot posted:

in before people start whining about news threads in GBS because they're too stupid to realize that they don't have to read it

also already some conservatives are saying the "unwitting" part clears trump but lmao no it does not

Yeah saying "unwitting" in an indictment doesn't really legally clear anyone of anything, though it does seem Mueller's team is being careful not to throw shade before they have evidence (previous leaks notwithstanding)

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nobody indicted will be able to be prosecuted except in absentia, nothing new will be learned, and nobody is gonna get found guilty of anything, no new presidents, no resignations, nothing, except a certain kind of corporatist obsessed with decorum will continue to melt down

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Trump owns, Russia owns. Eat it libtards haha

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
I can't believe Russia trolled people on facebook. That was hosed up of them to do that

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I will just post this now.

:pisstape:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

EorayMel posted:

I will just post this now.

:pisstape:

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Moridin920 posted:

For real and for 100% serious if that's the best they can come up with, "they trolled us," then that's loving weak as poo poo and a major disappointment and I can't believe they jerked everyone around for so long because, let's face it, they are salty about getting hacked during the primary and having it revealed to the world that they were in fact rigging it against Bernie.

like lol I'm sorry how much ad spending happens in a presidential election? 'Millions' is a drop in the ocean.

smd

I believe the whole thing about this is that Republicans knew about it and went along with it, what with the backchannel communications with the trump campaign and Russian officials.

Also, among people who primarily get their news online there was a consensus that "Hillary is just as bad as trump" based on vague unspecified reasons

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Will they be arresting the democrats who have been meddling in foreign elections for the last decade? Easily googleable.

But here's HuffPo.

Actual actions instead of just internet trolling! :-D

GORDON fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 16, 2018

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Waffle House posted:

I think Russia's State Security apparatus just found an angle on a lot of people it didn't like at once, and realized they were holding some cards that were best played right then, per their doctrine.

Like lol if you think there's an escape helicopter coming for Trump

Why would Trump need an escape helicopter? You can't actually believe anything legally serious will threaten him, ever.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Russia just being the puppet masters of the world as per usual lmbo

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh wow, we're at indictments over internet trolling?

So when is Mueller going to come in and indict half of SA?

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Alright I read the article. It looks like some of them committed identify theft to purchase some of the ads? Other than that I'm not sure what the big scandal is supposed to be. Last time I checked Russians are allowed to use facebook

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
So wait does that mean that this whole investigation is going to say that trump and whoever were unwitting participants in this

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

All these delicious nothingburgers.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Russia just being the puppet masters of the world as per usual lmbo

We do it to them, to Israel, to the E.U., etc. We are all doing poo poo to each other's elections, but I think this may be the first time that we complained this loudly about it

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
it's less of a nothingburger and more of anotherburger

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I never knew the United States could be overthrown by memes, but here we are. We need these memes to be regulated and controlled or they could fall into the wrong hands. Can you imagine if North Korea got ahold of some of these memes?

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Smells like chuds in here.
But what about what these other guys did??:qqsay:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
as an expert in international geopolitics I

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Elpato posted:

We do it to them, to Israel, to the E.U., etc. We are all doing poo poo to each other's elections, but I think this may be the first time that we complained this loudly about it

I was joking

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

That Robot posted:

Tbf unwitting is the go to excuse for anything trump related

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Elpato posted:

Yeah saying "unwitting" in an indictment doesn't really legally clear anyone of anything, though it does seem Mueller's team is being careful not to throw shade before they have evidence (previous leaks notwithstanding)

Isn't that why Comey didn't charge Hillary with anything for her illegal email server?

She was "unwittingly" committing a crime?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

emoji posted:

Why would Trump need an escape helicopter? You can't actually believe anything legally serious will threaten him, ever.

No that's exactly it. Everything's just an asset, man. Including Trump.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

quote:

One defendant, Viktorovna Kaverzina, emailed her family: "We had a slight crisis here at work: the FBI busted our activity (not a joke). So, I got preoccupied with covering tracks together with colleagues." She added, "I created all these pictures and posts, and the Americans believed that it was written by their people."

:perfect:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

a bone to pick posted:

Isn't that why Comey didn't charge Hillary with anything for her illegal email server?

She was "unwittingly" committing a crime?

BUT HER EMAILS

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Caganer posted:

quote:

One defendant, Viktorovna Kaverzina, emailed her family: "We had a slight crisis here at work: the FBI busted our activity (not a joke). So, I got preoccupied with covering tracks together with colleagues." She added, "I created all these pictures and posts, and the Americans believed that it was written by their people."
:perfect:

Hahaha holy lol

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

True, the FBI finding out you did something is at best a slight crisis, especially if you can just say "nah we won't let you have the evidence."

More of that keen geopolitical insight from the Ruskies.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"some russians went on reddit and even posted some YouTube comments" being the culmination of millions of dollars and over a year of investigation by multiple intelligence agencies and this is the loving best they can deal? Lmaoooo never before have I agreed with a moridin post so much

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Waffle House posted:

No that's exactly it. Everything's just an asset, man. Including Trump.

So wait you actually believe Trump is something other than a vain opportunist with extremely poor judgement and character? Every word he says is expertly calculated and coordinated by Putin himself?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

T.S. Smelliot posted:

"some russians went on reddit and even posted some YouTube comments" being the culmination of millions of dollars and over a year of investigation by multiple intelligence agencies and this is the loving best they can deal? Lmaoooo never before have I agreed with a moridin post so much

"culmination?" glad to see the smelliot brand meltdown is getting more exposure

emoji posted:

So wait you actually believe Trump is something other than a vain opportunist with extremely poor judgement and character? Every word he says is expertly calculated and coordinated by Putin himself?

trump being an asset does not imply the second sentence, this is why the phrase "useful idiot" exists

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

T.S. Smelliot posted:

I don't think this is the end of the investigation

I mean it's not like Mueller just screamed "case closed" after dropping those indictments

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

quote:

The briefing was designed to give Mr. Trump maximum information to avoid eliciting an over-reaction from President Trump on Twitter or elsewhere. The imperative, the sources said, was to make sure the president would not "break any glass" over this.
lol

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
whoa, this one tiny thing doesn't even expose Trump as the boss monster. Guess the investigation is over forever and this is the absolute best that Mueller could come up with and there won't be ANY more going on! MAGA!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

T.S. Smelliot posted:

god your brain is shriveled.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Also you should never, ever agree with a moridin post no matter what happens in live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

T.S. Smelliot posted:

Reductive loving moron shut the hell up.

• Locked thread