Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean I guess you can fight them if you want, but at that point in the game fighting them gains you pretty much nothing so IMO it's not really worth trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I threw crystals to lure them away from the gate

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So now I have no food, water has given me the shits and aaaaaag

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm going to tell you this right now because the game never ever mentions it: Survive starts off every new save with 5 or so of each cure item. Check your storehouse at your base for them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

poptart_fairy posted:

So now I have no food, water has given me the shits and aaaaaag
You have to rush through missions and never bother looting groups of zombies.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does the game ever lose that pace? Rush rush rush us a bit disappointing.

CJacobs posted:

I'm going to tell you this right now because the game never ever mentions it: Survive starts off every new save with 5 or so of each cure item. Check your storehouse at your base for them.

You are wonderful. Stopping to puke my rear end out was getting me killed. Understand its to make a later supply of clean water meaningful, but holy moley.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

You are wonderful. Stopping to puke my rear end out was getting me killed. Understand its to make a later supply of clean water meaningful, but holy moley.

There are plenty of situations where its worthwhile to stealth around dispatching a couple guys in order to stay safe, and later on there are specific enemies that you will want to eliminate ASAP and without causing a fuss if possible.

Don't forget, these aren't soldiers, they're dumb zombies with huge weakpoints that are always exposed - you can backstab(ber) almost every enemy all the time, even when they're alerted. They're also dumb as poo poo and their visibility in the Dust is even more limited than yours. Wanderers can spot you from a decent distance in clear weather but in the Dust you can sometimes walk or sneak right past them and they will barely notice.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

poptart_fairy posted:

Advancing the plot does give you new stuff and you eventually come across places that have healing items you can't craft until later.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Turtlicious posted:

Oh I just killed them all, lol

poo poo, me too. Came with a handful of fences and just mowed them down. A little difficult but not impossible.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ixjuvin posted:

Don't forget, these aren't soldiers, they're dumb zombies with huge weakpoints that are always exposed - you can backstab(ber) almost every enemy all the time, even when they're alerted. They're also dumb as poo poo and their visibility in the Dust is even more limited than yours. Wanderers can spot you from a decent distance in clear weather but in the Dust you can sometimes walk or sneak right past them and they will barely notice.

Can't understate this, these zeds are dumb as bricks.

Ways you can kill them

- Punch them in the face to stun them, slowly walk around behind them and backstab.
- Set a lure and a claymore right next to each other.
- Find one chewing on a barbed wire barricade and smash his face into it.
- Climb down a cliffside and watch them drop like lemmings off of it.
- Take one, throw him into another one, and then backstab them both.
- Light the grass in front of you on fire and watch them slowly walk through the burning flames.
- Circle strafe them shooting arrows until they are all dead.

Bear in mind that with one exception all zombies can be defeated by walking away from them, they are extremely slow.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

TescoBag posted:

It's fun, but maybe you should play it and form your own opinion.

I would but that would involve spending money on it.

Ixjuvin posted:

It's pretty fun and way more of a complete game than survival games tend to be, and the coop is rad. However it's not without issues. I would probably have avoided it (or wait for deep discount) if I wasn't a survival game weirdo.

Notably, it's EXTREMELY slow to get going, shabbily localized, looks bland and washed out (with a few notable exceptions where the aesthetic works for it), and heavily tutorialized except where it inexplicably isn't. Also the PC port is slapdash as heck.

Thanks. I might pick it up if it drops to a major discount. Surviva stuff with MGS:V gameplay DOES sound kind of enticing.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

So, what the hell do you get for doing the co-op submissions with the detonators? Collecting energy is p'obvious, but the ones with the box say you get some defense stuff but I have no idea how to use it or where it ends up.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Lexorin posted:

So, what the hell do you get for doing the co-op submissions with the detonators? Collecting energy is p'obvious, but the ones with the box say you get some defense stuff but I have no idea how to use it or where it ends up.

You get the raw materials to construct the appropriate defense unit deposited into the shared storehouse. Unfortunately you don't just unlock some gatling turrets directly into your inventory, you still have to be able to assemble the dang thing yourself and deploy it.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I don't suppose you get to keep those resources if they aren't used?

Because that basically sounds like a waste of effort for the most part.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

game should've given you subclasses way sooner, they have so much cool poo poo

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Is there a list of unlockables and how to obtain them yet?

Obviously broken gear and digging recipes are random, but I want to find more music tracks and make sure I'm not missing any of the good gadgets

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

there's some stuff here https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsurvive/comments/811zsk/metal_gear_threaded/

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Lexorin posted:

If you craft stuff and put them in your storage, you keep them after the drilling, before the drilling ends. You can build up a supply of mols (worthless), machine guns, grenades, and most barriers.

lets hang out posted:

I just had those spiders fall from trees and going Predator mode with endless backstabs allowed me to kill them all. It was like Serious Sam 3 with all the bodies.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Mar 1, 2018

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Holy poo poo yeah. Even if they only let you use one power and skill until post-game, the tease would of been nice.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lexorin posted:

This is a bit confusing in-game so I'll make a note of it

What you keep after Co-Op games
- All the stuff you brought in with you that was not used
- All the stuff that you made inside the game, including ammo that you hand crafted. Remember that you can only make stuff in-match from materials you collected inside the map.

What you lose after Co-Op games
- Any ammo or durability spent during the fight
- Any placed object
- Eaten food, used medicine, etc.
- Any resource not used during the match that was gathered during the match
- Any ammo that you received from an ammo resupply station purchased from the miner. These stations give you a load of ammo but it disappears at the end of the match. Still great for conserving ammo.

Basically whatever you bring out of the match is what you keep, except for gathered materials and ammo box supplies.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I saw a great save by a partner who after I caused a Bomber to ignite in front of the barricades to the drill, grabbed the Bomber and tossed it where it can't do damage.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PBnJamo posted:

That patch just now jacked up the difficulty for hard coop missions. Supposedly, the points required to hit S require you have to have the digger going overdrive and you need the support digger both going at the same time to hit S rank during the 3rd wave. Then the rewards got nerfed to give out less pink items. The patch notes also mention the shotguns got hit a bit, but they seem to just be weaker at longer ranges now, was fine for a base defense I just did.

Base dig rewards, past the initial clear which gives some base recipes, seem to be all about the crew improvement manuals. You can see that the orange epic items that post game bosses require higher ranked teams and weapon dev buildings. Of course, there's no way to get them right now and i'm not even sure where to find the required kits for pink item upgrades even.

The big shotgun nerf is to carried ammo. Pre-patch I could carry 208 shells, now I carry 80, which is the difference between a single reload carrying me through a hard mission or not.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey thanks for all the advice guys. I'm dealing with much larger wanderer groups now, and am slowly shaking off habits a platinum in Phantom Pain formed.

Still pussy about the clean water thing, mind.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Can't understate this, these zeds are dumb as bricks.

Ways you can kill them

- Punch them in the face to stun them, slowly walk around behind them and backstab.
- Set a lure and a claymore right next to each other.
- Find one chewing on a barbed wire barricade and smash his face into it.
- Climb down a cliffside and watch them drop like lemmings off of it.
- Take one, throw him into another one, and then backstab them both.
- Light the grass in front of you on fire and watch them slowly walk through the burning flames.
- Circle strafe them shooting arrows until they are all dead.

Bear in mind that with one exception all zombies can be defeated by walking away from them, they are extremely slow.

This really doesn't sound too different from the genome soldiers, honestly.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Sleeping off medical issues is how I usually deal with them. I forget when you get tents relative to being able to boil water though

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can now boil water. Oh baby now we're talking.

Just need more potatoes and I'll be happy on longer excursion

E: When's a good point to do salvage missions, and whats that little WiFi signal next to my food and thirst bars?

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 1, 2018

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Yeah you get an upgrade later, although you have to get development level 2 in order to get the table to make it.

Carrying a knife AND a smasher is very useful. I just wish you could get more back slots, I like spears but not enough to drop my bow

I hate how much I am liking this, I'm a whore for shilling out more money to Konami

E. FYI, not only do animals respawn but eventually resources do.

I know this is from a week ago but where do you find a bigger air tank?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Beat the main story last night and starting post game stuff now. I really enjoyed it and I'm glad there's more stuff to do, I have a couple gripes with the game but overall I think it's solid. I understand why people are against the game due to Konami stuff but I really wish that online discourse hadn't devolved into outright lies about the game to poo poo on it. It's really tiring seeing people parrot that you buy lootcrates and other made up poo poo.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

I can now boil water. Oh baby now we're talking.

Just need more potatoes and I'll be happy on longer excursion

E: When's a good point to do salvage missions, and whats that little WiFi signal next to my food and thirst bars?

The little WiFi signal means that your position is currently displayed on the map, and you can set and view waypoints to reorient yourself. It's caused by A: being in a map grid that you explored in a previous trip, or B: being in a map grid that counts as a path near an activated teleporter.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Beat the main story last night and starting post game stuff now. I really enjoyed it and I'm glad there's more stuff to do, I have a couple gripes with the game but overall I think it's solid. I understand why people are against the game due to Konami stuff but I really wish that online discourse hadn't devolved into outright lies about the game to poo poo on it. It's really tiring seeing people parrot that you buy lootcrates and other made up poo poo.

Its the same poo poo that happens whenever people want to shittalk a publisher. Shadow of War recently had the same thing, despite the game giving you more money than you know what to do with.

Got to the end of the game without spending a penny, without seeing the marketplace once and checked it out to find that i could afford basically 1000 "cheat crates".

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Wish I could find videos of these subclass skills

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3fc1fGVSNU
Everything you need to start a suicide squad.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
So I’m at the point where you go to get the wormhole digger and I’m wondering, is it possible to build the crafting tables outside the base? I noticed you can have more than one but I don’t see a reason to unless you can maybe put them in one of the areas that’s clear of dust as a little resupply area.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Only in the coop missions and your bases.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TheBlandName posted:

The little WiFi signal means that your position is currently displayed on the map, and you can set and view waypoints to reorient yourself. It's caused by A: being in a map grid that you explored in a previous trip, or B: being in a map grid that counts as a path near an activated teleporter.

Oh man, I assumed it was a collectibles thing and was running around looking for stuff when I saw it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Seedge posted:

I know this is from a week ago but where do you find a bigger air tank?

Sorry that was vague, I meant that you get an upgrade for a second primary weapon, the second question. You can't get a bigger air tank. Refilling it is pretty cheap though.

Scalding Coffee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3fc1fGVSNU
Everything you need to start a suicide squad.

No wonder I couldn't figure out where people are supposed to go if 90% of them are absolute garbage. The hell, game?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 1, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

e. double post

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

No wonder I couldn't figure out where people are supposed to go if 90% of them are absolute garbage. The hell, game?

It's MGS5 all over again!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Something clicked and I'm now a survival badass. :smug:

Rough start but man I'm seeing the potential here. Want to dive into multiplayer before it inevitably dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I like how in all the co-op missions I've done, I routinely kill far fewer mobs than anyone else and yet always come in first place for points. I assume because I'm the only one doing the side quest things and picking up the rainbow orb thingies in between waves.

• Locked thread