Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Robot is a challenge character. His starting weapon is great but his bullet upgrade is mediocre and spilling water, even with the electric bullets, is just lame. He only gets armor for health so a lot of items are useless for him. He shines in the first few levels but once you get a better gun than his default it's all long term downside.

Spilling water seems lame now, wait until you turn the super soaker into the deadliest weapon in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

khwarezm posted:

Hi there guy who somehow doesn't know delays are a fact of life on any videogame project no matter how much talent and resources get thrown at it.

Hi there guy who somehow doesn't know that when you're porting your game to a system with a completely different architecture you don't just assume that it will be super easy and take no time at all and then use that extremely stupid assumption as part of your determination of how long it will take you to finish that + the other projects you are working on and then give that wildly unrealistic date to the public.

If they had at any point thought, "Hmmm... porting the game to the Switch might take more time and resources thrown at it than having one guy press a few buttons and call it a day" like any sane developer would then they would have come up with more realistic release dates for the updates for the other platforms. Incompetence.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
a slapfight 2 weeks in the making

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

My favorite characters are the Pilot and the Hunter. I think your take on the Hunter is spot on. The pilot always felt like the best long-game character if you're ok with a potential rough start. The lock picks typically give me a 50/50 shot at opening 1-2 brown chests I would otherwise just shoot. They get tossed for anything else I find. Higher ammo capacity is useful but not game changing. He really shines in the accumulated benefits from lower prices over 5 floors and the possibility of getting 2 really useful active items.

Robot is a challenge character. His starting weapon is great but his bullet upgrade is mediocre and spilling water, even with the electric bullets, is just lame. He only gets armor for health so a lot of items are useless for him. He shines in the first few levels but once you get a better gun than his default it's all long term downside.

Robot's health situation is going to be rough sledding to get his ending. I did find the Siren with him, which was actually god-like with the battery bullets.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

dscruffy1 posted:

Spilling water seems lame now, wait until you turn the super soaker into the deadliest weapon in the game.

How dare you insult my best friend Gunther!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

...! posted:

Hi there guy who somehow doesn't know that when you're porting your game to a system with a completely different architecture you don't just assume that it will be super easy and take no time at all and then use that extremely stupid assumption as part of your determination of how long it will take you to finish that + the other projects you are working on and then give that wildly unrealistic date to the public.

If they had at any point thought, "Hmmm... porting the game to the Switch might take more time and resources thrown at it than having one guy press a few buttons and call it a day" like any sane developer would then they would have come up with more realistic release dates for the updates for the other platforms. Incompetence.

Jesus you really are taking this opportunity to be a oval office aren't you?

They already ported the game to the Xbox 1, after starting off on PC and Playstation, that was there actual point in their post, they said they thought it would be a similar amount of work. Considering that the Switch has been touted as an indie friendly platform that's much easier to develop for than the Wii U I can easily understand if they underestimated the amount of work they would need to do for it. They seem to have only like three people working full time and said what they have worked on has grown beyond what they had already announced, and overall this kind of thing is straight up the norm for any other videogame company even if they're way bigger and more professional, are you really going to be this bloody salty over this?

But in any event I guess indie devs putting out free content updates for an already content heavy game, yeah, that's surely a situation to get super mad about missed dates.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 3, 2018

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

They are going to miss the update window because they prioritized the thing that would actually make them money: the Switch port. And I can't blame them.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 3, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

il serpente cosmico posted:

I finished the Convict's past last night, so that's all four main characters down. I read in a Steam guide that you need to finish off the Lich before you get access to the Robot and Bullet's pasts. The wiki doesn't mention this, so I'm guessing that's false?

You don't need to beat the Lich, but the first time you finish the game after completing all four main pasts, you will always be dragged down to Bullet Hell. So you can't do the Robot's or Bullet's past on that particular playthrough.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I would honestly be happy to buy it if they did do paid DLC, but I know one guy wanting it isn't the same as market viability.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pumpinglemma posted:

I would honestly be happy to buy it if they did do paid DLC, but I know one guy wanting it isn't the same as market viability.

I would absolutely pay for AD&G. Free updates are awesome but I'm fine paying, I paid for both Guild of Dungeoneering DLCs.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Samuel Clemens posted:

You don't need to beat the Lich, but the first time you finish the game after completing all four main pasts, you will always be dragged down to Bullet Hell. So you can't do the Robot's or Bullet's past on that particular playthrough.

Ah, thanks!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

precision posted:

I would absolutely pay for AD&G. Free updates are awesome but I'm fine paying, I paid for both Guild of Dungeoneering DLCs.

Sure, I've put about 400 hours into the base game (well, including the Supply Update) and I'd totally pay for an ETG expansion. I'm glad that they're working on free updates though. I'm not entirely sure what the scope/scale of AD&D is, but I'd kill for an expansion like one of Binding of Isaac's.

With regards to favorite characters, I've probably played with the Hunter more than any of the default characters. Like other people have already said, the crossbow she starts with is a decent weapon to tackle the first couple of bosses, and endlessly cycling through her bow and revolver keeps the on-screen reloading to a bare minimum. Plus the dog never really lost relevance with me (at least not to the point that I wished I had some other passive item instead).

The Convict is another deceptively great default character: Her shotgun can clobber enemies right out of the gate, and she's great for beginners because of the buffs she receives when injured. Plus her active item (the molotov) is surprisingly useful for quickly wiping out large groups of trash mobs.

But of all six (or I suppose seven, if you count the Cultist) characters, I'd have to say that the Bullet is hands-down my favorite character: Immune to a ton of contact damage, a buffed roll attack, and a starting weapon that can destroy projectiles (and is very potent if you can keep your health maxed). I feel like the Bullet's absolutely the best character to use if you attempt Challenge Mode, particularly since it renders a few of the annoying room conditions null--like the one that spawns blobs on missed shots.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

They already announced a paid expansion coming out some time after AG&D. I don't think we know much about it other than the fact that it'll contain new floors and characters.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Samuel Clemens posted:

They already announced a paid expansion coming out some time after AG&D. I don't think we know much about it other than the fact that it'll contain new floors and characters.

Oh really? For some reason I've been conflating that unnamed paid DLC with the free AD&D, then. Good to know.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh really? For some reason I've been conflating that unnamed paid DLC with the free AD&D, then. Good to know.

From their wording of their post talking about AD&D it sounds like they've started to work on the paid DLC content alongside the stuff for the AD&D update, which is part of the reason for the delay.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

endlessly cycling through her bow and revolver keeps the on-screen reloading to a bare minimum

I know this is how it worked when I was playing it on Steam but I've been trying to do this on the Switch version (and presumably this goes for the latest PC updates) and as far as I can tell, the guns don't reload offscreen anymore; you need to complete the reload animation with the guns equipped. Is this not the case for anyone else?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Welp, I just beat the Old King and the Lich for the first time (in the same run, no less) after nearly 80 hours with this game. Feels good man :)

It feels even better because it wasn't a crazy run--I only managed to pick up two master rounds and no other heart containers, and I went into the Lich fight with two and a half hearts of HP. I did have an assortment of good guns (mutation, unicorn horn, stinger, cobalt hammer), double vision, and big boy to keep my DPS up for the final fight. I finished the Lich with half a heart, so it felt good not to choke. Going through both secret floors ended up helping quite a bit because I ended up with a lot more resources. I hate the pilot's early game, but he is almost definitely the best class to play if you want to Lich it up.

Big Boy made bullet hell substantially easier. Using it to clear rooms was key, and the amount of damage you deal there makes it recharge surprisingly fast.

The only major things left are unlocking bullet (I've accidentally killed the red cape dude twice now), getting the robot and bullet's endings, and challenge mode.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 3, 2018

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Some real heart breakers today. I've been trying to get to the Robot's true ending, and I was finally having a great run after numerous failures. I had 14 armor points and an item that generated armor every floor after finishing the third floor. I also was doing pretty well on resources, and I had the crown of guns, which I really like for bosses. I decided to take a break and get some food and hopefully finish strong. I used the save button, and when I tried to load it up an hour later the game crashed, and my save was gone :( In over 80 hours with this game, this is the first time a crash hosed up a run.

I stuck with it, and finally got to the Dragun in another run but I didn't have much health going in to it, and choked big time in the second phase. I ate three hits and died. 3-4 more proper dodges and I would have taken him down. Time to try again tomorrow.

EDIT: And I got it! Never again, Robot. God bless the Vulcan Cannon

EDIT 2: And the Bullet's past is done. He's a really fun character. On my first attempt I had Cannon down to a pixel of health (I'm almost positive next hit would have killed him), but he threw out his fast moving bats and killed me. I got him next run though. Also, the Gungine is ridiculous.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 5, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just bought this for switch because it finally went on sale, and I am bad at it. What class is best for a new person? Seems like marine=hunter>pilot>convict to me at this point. I can usually clear the 1st floor if I get one of the easier bosses but so far haven't been able to make it past the 2nd.

I feel like there's a ton of content in this game with absolutely zero explanation. I've read a couple wikis and other sites but still seems like there's so much poo poo in this game.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Marine is probably best for new people. He is the first one I beat the past of. I rotated through all the characters though, I actually got to the pilots past before his and choked.

It's a fun game, you will get better at it quickly. I had 200 deaths when I beat the marines past, but probably 50 of those were my kid playing.

I wouldn't worry too much about the hidden stuff until you are comfortably making it down to the fourth or fifth floor.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The marine is a solid character for learning the game, though I think each of the characters has something to teach so it can be worthwhile to cycle through them all. Keep in mind that you can sell the supply drop item and that's probably the best use for it.

The Hunter is the most likely to get you a master round and will teach you to keep a boss weapon in reserve.

The Convict will teach you to switch between a pair of weapons as needed. Her shotgun is poo poo alone, but excellent when you quickswitch to get rid of a close threat and then switch back to the pistol. If you're struggling to clear the first/second level the convict is probably the easiest character as her collection of D tier items are great at first.

The pilot will teach you to use keys and purchases strategically.

General tips:
1. Weapons reload in your inventory if you give them some time. Some slow reload guns like the rpg are fantastic as secondary weapons that you switch fire before going back to your primary weapon.
2. Think in weapon pairs. Close/Far, Ice/Damage, Quick/Explosive, whatever compliments. High damage rapid fire weapons and explosives are best for bosses. Weapons with some kind of crowd control like ice, magic, charm, or stun are best for clearing rooms.
3. Roll strategically. Most things can be avoided with careful movement and a panicked roll will get you hit. You can roll against a wall to avoid damage without moving.
4. Don't pick up keys until you get to the store. It's stupid but it works. Always buy all the keys in a store unless it's level 4 and you have 4 keys or if it keeps you from buying something really good.
5. On the first level there's a fireplace, put out the fire and hit the switch behind it to access a secret floor (it also costs 2 keys). If you can't survive floor 2 you'll die down there, but once you're looking to really beat the game it's usually worth it.
6. Always go for the Master Round, the reward for not being hit by a boss. That means saving your blanks for the boss fight and using the best guns you held in reserve. Shoot for a no-hitter every time and if you slip up and take one hit you'll be fine. Shoot for survival and you'll take a bunch of hits and limp unto the next level.
7. Manipulate the chests. One chest always has a gun, the other an active/passive item. If you haven't picked up a gun that floor than the boss will drop a gun. If you have, then it's 50/50 gun or passive. I try to maximize passive drops but if you know there's a brown gun in a chest you should probably just blow it up and see what the boss will give you.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Mr. Prokosch posted:

1. Weapons reload in your inventory if you give them some time. Some slow reload guns like the rpg are fantastic as secondary weapons that you switch fire before going back to your primary weapon.

...what the gently caress

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

extradite THIS! posted:

Yup. Just scroll your mouse wheel as you empty the clip (if you're carrying enough guns) and you'll never have to reload ever again. Really improves your damage output if you organize your weapons properly.

The designers of this game loooove unexplained bullshit mechanics that are actually crucial to consistent success.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Passive reloads have been a staple of the FPS genre for so long that I'm genuinely surprised whenever a modern game doesn't do them.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Mr. Prokosch posted:

General tips:
4. Don't pick up keys until you get to the store. It's stupid but it works. Always buy all the keys in a store unless it's level 4 and you have 4 keys or if it keeps you from buying something really good.

7. Manipulate the chests. One chest always has a gun, the other an active/passive item. If you haven't picked up a gun that floor than the boss will drop a gun. If you have, then it's 50/50 gun or passive. I try to maximize passive drops but if you know there's a brown gun in a chest you should probably just blow it up and see what the boss will give you.

I was just popping int to see if the AD&G thing is out yet so it's been along time since I played, but... whaaaaaaaaat? Doesnt the rat steal the keys if you leave the room? Why would you not want to pick them up?

Also I never realized that about 7, is there always just 2 chests per level: one gun, one item?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Didn't they fix the key thing to be on spawn rather than on pickup?

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The only things the rat will steal is ammo crates or dropped guns/items. Keys, blanks and hearts will be left unlooted

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
The rat doesn't steal keys, hearts, or blanks. Leaving it on the floor guarantees that the shopkeeper will have a key for sale that floor. Then you pick it up after you see the inventory and it's locked in.

Nalesh posted:

Didn't they fix the key thing to be on spawn rather than on pickup?

I also heard that, but whenever I leave a key on the ground there's one in the shop. When I pick it up there sometimes isn't a key. I play on the PS4 version so it could be they haven't patched it yet for me but have for the PC/Switch.

Xaris posted:

Also I never realized that about 7, is there always just 2 chests per level: one gun, one item?

There are 2 guaranteed chest rooms on every level but 6. One will have an item, one will have a gun. There can also be rare random chest drops, NPC drops, chests from shrines, etc. They all have a 50/50 shot at gun vs. item. The boss only has a guaranteed gun if you didn't get a gun from anywhere else in the level. If you didn't open the gun chest but did get a gun from Winchester then it's a 50/50 shot.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im pretty sure they changed it so the key spawning after room clear is what stops the key from spawning in the shop, not the key being picked up

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

extradite THIS! posted:

drat horror queefs posted:

Yup. Just scroll your mouse wheel as you empty the clip (if you're carrying enough guns) and you'll never have to reload ever again. Really improves your damage output if you organize your weapons properly.

The designers of this game loooove unexplained bullshit mechanics that are actually crucial to consistent success.

Note: In some situations, this can actually be wasteful on ammo, as bosses have a DPS cap that prevents you from doing too much damage over a given time period. If you have a really solid DPS weapon or two, mixing in high burst damage can actually waste significant amounts of damage.

Switching between rapid fire weapons is okay, and popping off an occasional RPG is okay. Don't chain single shot weapons back to back, though, or you'll blow ammo unnecessarily and for no real benefit.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Olesh posted:

Note: In some situations, this can actually be wasteful on ammo, as bosses have a DPS cap that prevents you from doing too much damage over a given time period. If you have a really solid DPS weapon or two, mixing in high burst damage can actually waste significant amounts of damage.

Switching between rapid fire weapons is okay, and popping off an occasional RPG is okay. Don't chain single shot weapons back to back, though, or you'll blow ammo unnecessarily and for no real benefit.

Yeah this is good advice--if I'm not mistaken, there are only a handful of weapons that break the DPS cap, right?

EDIT: Apparently the Makeshift Cannon and Yari Launcher both bypass the DPS cap...not sure if there are any other weapons that do this.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 20, 2018

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah this is good advice--if I'm not mistaken, there are only a handful of weapons that break the DPS cap, right?

Only two - the Yari Launcher and the Makeshift Cannon.

However, Boss Rush does not have the DPS cap whatsoever.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

drat horror queefs posted:

I honestly don't think this is true, I've seen people who can easily and consistently beat the game and they don't use any "tricks" that the game itself doesn't present to you. :shrug:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Olesh posted:

Only two - the Yari Launcher and the Makeshift Cannon.

However, Boss Rush does not have the DPS cap whatsoever.

Hah, thanks for replying. I went back and did some research and didn't refresh the page before editing my original post.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

precision posted:

I honestly don't think this is true, I've seen people who can easily and consistently beat the game and they don't use any "tricks" that the game itself doesn't present to you. :shrug:

Some people can consistently beat Nethack, so that doesn't say anything about how obtuse the mechanics are.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

precision posted:

Agreed, but no one would ever guess that stuff like 'coolness' was a real game mechanic if the wiki didn't mention it

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Agreed, but no one would ever guess that stuff like 'coolness' was a real game mechanic if the wiki didn't mention it

I feel like the presence of the Cigarette item would prompt the community to develop a rubric for the variable (it probably wouldn't be called "coolness") but I would never figure it out on my own.

I have a very love-hate relationship with games that have obtuse mechanics--Enter the Gungeon, Dark Souls, Binding of Isaac--because I love the idea of needing to discover new things (whether it's accessing a new area, summoning a hidden boss, or the interactions of various items) but I inevitably only figure out a tenth of them and need to consult the wiki for the rest.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TOOT BOOT posted:

Some people can consistently beat Nethack, so that doesn't say anything about how obtuse the mechanics are.

Right, and I'm one of them, but probably literally nobody has ever beaten it without looking something up.

The most obtuse stuff in this game (like the Oubliette) is totally optional.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Manipulating keys and chests are obtuse mechanics but at least you can game them to your advantage. The one thing I really wish they would address is the game having a curse system but not telling you how much you have anywhere in the UI. Being able to know when you're going to pass the tipping point and have the Lord of the Jammed show up would be incredibly helpful without having to count along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Manipulating keys and chests are obtuse mechanics but at least you can game them to your advantage. The one thing I really wish they would address is the game having a curse system but not telling you how much you have anywhere in the UI. Being able to know when you're going to pass the tipping point and have the Lord of the Jammed show up would be incredibly helpful without having to count along the way.

Gungeon takes a lot of cues from Binding of Isaac, and unfortunately the complete lack of accurate, detailed information is one thing that both games get wrong from a design standpoint. There's a reason that the single most downloaded mod for Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is the "External Item Descriptions" mod that tells you what items actually do, and before it was finally rolled into the game, the other most popular mod gave you the numerical values for your various stats.