Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Turns out that deleting enough structures in the base solved all the loading and crashing problems, so far. Just enough to still have a positive growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lexorin posted:

It's getting real difficult to find three people for Hard co-ops anymore

On the other hand I saw someone with what looked like a potato cannon, so that was neat. To bad they abandoned the mission before I could see it in action.

I gave up on the matchmaking and just joined some reddit discord for it. It's a surprisingly not bad experience. People are polite but not averse to bit of humor and I've yet to get a group that was unable to hit S ranks on Hard.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
^ There's a discord in the OP too but I haven't tried it because there's actually like FIVE matchmaking discords and at least one spreadsheet. Fake edit: Oh and two Steam groups too. Guess I might try compiling them all this weekend.

In unrelated things, I can't loving find corn anywhere. Someone give me a clue without outright spoiling the location?

Det_no fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 3, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm bleeding, and styptic kits are way out of reach (require multiple types resources I haven't seen yet and a station I can't build yet). Am I just on a fixed health budget until I get that far?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm bleeding, and styptic kits are way out of reach (require multiple types resources I haven't seen yet and a station I can't build yet). Am I just on a fixed health budget until I get that far?

You get several units of all the healing items for free when you start off, check your storage.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Sleeping in a tent for 6 hours heals all issues

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Det_no posted:

^ There's a discord in the OP too but I haven't tried it because there's actually like FIVE matchmaking discords and at least one spreadsheet. Fake edit: Oh and two Steam groups too. Guess I might try compiling them all this weekend.

In unrelated things, I can't loving find corn anywhere. Someone give me a clue without outright spoiling the location?

If you've been playing salvage missions, you've likely seen the area it would be in. Think carefully on how you approached the objective.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Det_no posted:

There’s some in a corn field somewhere around the ruined village vaguely south of where you find the cop.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yikes, I have to crawl across the entire map to unfog it. That's a little concerning but also a bit exciting.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

widespread posted:

So uh, whoever suggested Flame Arrows... you're fuckin' smart man. Those things are like molotovs but on the arrows.

Yeah, the digging defence mission went really smoothly with a combination of barbed wire barricades, wire fences and the flame arrows.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Man that motherfucking Wanderer Seth hosed up my tents. Son of a bitch.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
See?! You can't protect anything! :unsmigghh:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I currently have 3 different kinds of water storage (rainwater tanks, water tanks and rainwater purification tanks), are they all worth having at once or can I pull some down?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

See?! You can't protect anything! :unsmigghh:
The first time I was not prepared for that fight, and everything got hosed and I died.

The second time I ran away, but apparently not far enough!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Anime_Otaku posted:

I currently have 3 different kinds of water storage (rainwater tanks, water tanks and rainwater purification tanks), are they all worth having at once or can I pull some down?

I would keep them all up for Base Resource reasons. The amount of water you get from them is pretty good.

I say as I went to a large water source in a safe area and darn near filled 100 or so bottles of sewage water.

Save your bottles, folks. One of the ways to get set for the rest of your play through.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I start every session by running West with 50 bottles and the intent to punch some sheep.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Anime_Otaku posted:

I only keep the pure water buildings.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Tagging and mapping is weirdly addictive.

Metal Gear Surveyor when.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Tangible Topographist: "Exceeded my contract dates for this survey, yeah?"

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Anime_Otaku posted:

The Rainwater Tanks and Rainwater Purification Tanks both give large amounts of "common water" every update cycle, and are worth it if you've got a bunch of loafers around your base. (Or if you can't be assed treating the illness of a small number of loafers). The Water Tanks give large amounts of "common water" storage, which is useless because your loafers instantly panic if you start drawing from those reserves.

For you personally, the purification tanks produce clean water, and everything else produces dirty water at a slightly faster rate. Since dirty water is literally infinite at any of the watering holes that you find outside of the starting zone, there's little reason to care about either of those functions.

Redwinters
Jan 2, 2012

ask me about non-consensual batsex
This game is fun. gently caress the haters.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
So I just discovered the little are just next to the base that has dirty water and karakul sheep has apparently dried up, where is my neares emergency water source? My base is a while away from making a load for me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

TheBlandName posted:

The Rainwater Tanks and Rainwater Purification Tanks both give large amounts of "common water" every update cycle, and are worth it if you've got a bunch of loafers around your base. (Or if you can't be assed treating the illness of a small number of loafers). The Water Tanks give large amounts of "common water" storage, which is useless because your loafers instantly panic if you start drawing from those reserves.

For you personally, the purification tanks produce clean water, and everything else produces dirty water at a slightly faster rate. Since dirty water is literally infinite at any of the watering holes that you find outside of the starting zone, there's little reason to care about either of those functions.
Those don't dry up?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

^ i think the ones near your base dry up to encourage you to get out there and find more, i never saw it happen to any others.

there's a pond in practically every oasis area, they've got like a blue outline on your map.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Is there a way to play organized co-op? I have some Steam friends I want to Left 4 Dead it up with but I can't find an option to invite people when I'm doing matchmaking etc.

edit: Also the other ponds in the world do dry up but you've gotta really drink deep from em before they do. The pond in the southwest corner (in the first clear zone you come across) is dry in my current playthrough but it took a little while of using it to get that way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 3, 2018

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

You should be able to send invites through the social tab in the idroid once you're in the staging area.

Quicksilver6 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 3, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank you!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Well, I'm officially stuck on the secure the Sahalenthropus mission. I just flat out can't kill them fast enough, and I run out of stuff to throw at them. There's probably hidden containers somewhere in the first map with things like turrets or portable mortars I was supposed to find, but alas, did not. And I don't think I can go back to base camp until I've finished all of the FOB missions.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
My tactic was to hide behind the rocks and let the mortars nail most of the regular wanderers, just killing the ones that got close enough by bottlenecking them at a fence.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Reminder to everyone to join the Discord in the OP if you want some people to coop with or chat about the game.

poptart_fairy posted:

Tagging and mapping is weirdly addictive.

Metal Gear Surveyor when.

If you want a survival game with mapping in it, take a look at Miasmata, it's a clunky but very unique survival game with a fun mapping mechanic.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Get a shotgun and ammo and grenades and spawn camp them. Spawn camping the baddies is what high level play is all about and I think that mission is supposed to teach you that, but it does a bad job of it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What is the deal with base defense and enemy numbers fluctuating? Red circles had 10000 at every side, so I put half the people in defense, and now the enemy numbers are at 3000 at each.
Seems way more manageable now and I have nothing else to do but wait.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

TheCenturion posted:

Well, I'm officially stuck on the secure the Sahalenthropus mission. I just flat out can't kill them fast enough, and I run out of stuff to throw at them. There's probably hidden containers somewhere in the first map with things like turrets or portable mortars I was supposed to find, but alas, did not. And I don't think I can go back to base camp until I've finished all of the FOB missions.

I filled the entire area around the objective with chainlink fences, sandbag footholds, and iron watchtowers. Keep a couple of each in reserve to reinforce the objective area later on.

2 watchtowers had machine gun turrets to deal with the ranged enemies. Bombers were handled with fire arrows from atop a tower.

After about 6 minutes a couple of paths through my defenses had been opened. Bottlenecked wanderers were controlled with arrows, molotovs, and grenades. Keep a couple of grenades reserved for late-round ranged enemies. The basic 9mm pistol with aroud 60 rounds of ammo was also good for quickly clearing groups of wanderers.

After around 10 minutes I placed my remaining defense objects and burned the rest of my ammo keeping them clear.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Poke them through a fence, like every other time.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

The base right next to you should have some actual mortar emplacements. If not, the enemy mortars will more than likely kill most of the incoming zombies except for the leftmost one, that one can actually lob grenades at the drill and gently caress it up. Keep in mind you can kick grenades away too.

If the enemy mortars are somehow harming your efforts for real try placing something like a sandbag foothold atop the rock formation that overlooks the pond, they'll plink away at it constantly.

Fake edit: Oh I also meant to post that I did check all the discord and there's indeed like 5. The biggest one by far though is the reddit discord so if you want to matchmake try that and the goon one.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 4, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When I start up a transporter, does it attract existing wanderers or spawn new ones? That is, does clearing out the surroundings first help?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It doesn't seem to do directly, but the noise made will ensure they're lured in regardless.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

It draws existing wanderers in from a pretty extreme range. So clear them out and expect some stragglers regardless.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

What is the deal with base defense and enemy numbers fluctuating? Red circles had 10000 at every side, so I put half the people in defense, and now the enemy numbers are at 3000 at each.
Seems way more manageable now and I have nothing else to do but wait.

I believe that's the incentive to put in people on base defense. Less enemy numbers means better chances of automated success for the defense team.

Also pretty sure teleporter activations don't spawn new enemies, so clearing out the area should help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This game is what I wanted Fortnite to be. Something about it all has just clicked.

• Locked thread