Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Paul Zuvella posted:

Max really kind of loving sucks

I can't tell how I'm supposed to feel about Max. I guess even if she locked it all away because it was too hard to deal with vs just drifting apart from her best friend, she is still a pretty huge jerk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I can't tell how I'm supposed to feel about Max. I guess even if she locked it all away because it was too hard to deal with vs just drifting apart from her best friend, she is still a pretty huge jerk

Especially now that we know that she flat out promised to keep in touch with Chloe after she moved. As we know, Chloe does not handle loss well and is basically loyal to a fault, of course she'd be upset about it.

Also if anybody was confused in regards to the timeline, this takes place the day William died. If you examine the clothes pile in Chloe's room at the start Max mentions them playing dressup while they were cleaning the room, that's the reason why they're wearing different clothes than what we remember from when we visited the same time period in LiS. Not sure what the 2007 date from the Deluxe Edition trailer was about though, maybe there was a rewrite of the story at some point?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I liked this episode but I just started to watch someone play it and I think I've noticed an inconsistency in the writing.

At the beginning of the episode, Max worries about Chloe's mom hearing the firecracker and Chloe says she's probably downstairs with the radio on. But they both should have known that Joyce wasn't even home, as William had already left to go pick her up.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm playing on PC and it keeps crashing at the very start right after Max wonders how to tell Chloe that she's leaving :mad:

Edit: Solved it! If you're having trouble with this, open the game directory, right click, run as administrator.

Argue fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 6, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

I liked this episode but I just started to watch someone play it and I think I've noticed an inconsistency in the writing.

At the beginning of the episode, Max worries about Chloe's mom hearing the firecracker and Chloe says she's probably downstairs with the radio on. But they both should have known that Joyce wasn't even home, as William had already left to go pick her up.

Yeah, the different clothes can be explained away but not sure about that one. Especially since later in the same scene Chloe mentions the two of them being unsupervised. Perhaps there was a rewrite at some point (as again, the date July 28, 2007 is displayed under Farewell in the Deluxe trailer from a while back but the episode itself clearly takes place the day of William's death) and they just didn't catch that part for whatever reason.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
They think Joyce is home because she should be home by that point. They play dress-up for an hour after William leaves. Chloe even worries that they really should have been back by then a little later on.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I must have missed that part. That would explain it though, thanks.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They think Joyce is home because she should be home by that point. They play dress-up for an hour after William leaves. Chloe even worries that they really should have been back by then a little later on.

Ah forgot about that, that makes sense then.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I can't believe it's March already. I forgot this was gonna come out.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Holy poo poo this is a pretty neat easter egg in Farewell: After you go back into the house and open the time capsule, walk around the table and look at the bottom corner of the fireplace near the the sliding door. You can see the butterfly time traveller Max draws there for a second, before it fades away.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That was a brutal ending. I mean I expected something like that but they really love to twist the knife.

I think the next game should be a Chloe slice of life/dating sim, perhaps giving her superpowers. After all of the poo poo she’s been through she deserves some fluffy non consequential stuff in her life.

rio fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 6, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

Holy poo poo this is a pretty neat easter egg in Farewell: After you go back into the house and open the time capsule, walk around the table and look at the bottom corner of the fireplace near the the sliding door. You can see the butterfly time traveller Max draws there for a second, before it fades away.

Nice, so this must be in the "fixed" timeline then. Considering that she already knew Max was moving, it's likely that Chloe just wrote off that whole speech of hers earlier about never abandoning her as nervousness on Max's part.

A couple other things I found:

- If you don't look at the Jawbreaker in Chloe's room her drawing at the end will be of Max getting a tattoo instead.

-The message on the answering machine is only there if you talked to Chloe about Blackwell (you might have to read the email between her parents and Principal Wells too, I'm not sure). Oddly enough, the woman who voiced Marisa's mother on the machine is not listed in the end credits (unless it was just Burch or Telle pulling double-duty).

-It's possible to lock yourself out of getting the final photo with Chloe (not sure what causes this, it might have something to do with not taking a photo together with her at the beginning).

rio posted:

That was a brutal ending. I mean I expected something like that but they really love to twist the knife.

I think the next game should be a Chloe slice of life/dating sim, perhaps giving her superpowers. After all of the poo poo she’s been through she deserves some fluffy non consequential stuff in her life.

As much as I like Chloe, her story has been pretty well told at this point (since you could argue that she's just as if not more important than Max is in the first game). I think if they ever come back to Arcadia Bay they should give somebody else a turn in the spotlight for a change. Chloe could still be a side character if need be, just not the main focus.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Mar 6, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It'll be interesting to see if they pull anything from Twin Peaks: the Return next game. I feel like it'd be a lot more difficult and probably not worth it tbh.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 6, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Larryb posted:

Nice, so this must be in the "fixed" timeline then. Considering that she already knew Max was moving, it's likely that Chloe just wrote off that whole speech of hers earlier about never abandoning her as nervousness on Max's part.

- If you don't look at the Jawbreaker in Chloe's room her drawing at the end will be of Max getting a tattoo instead.

-The message on the answering machine is only there if you talked to Chloe about Blackwell (you might have to read the email between her parents and Principle Wells too, I'm not sure). Oddly enough, the woman who voiced Marisa's mother on the machine is not listed in the end credits (unless it was just Burch or Telle pulling double-duty).

-It's possible to lock yourself out of getting the final photo with Chloe (not sure what causes this, it might have something to do with not taking a photo together with her at the beginning).

As much as I like Chloe, her story has been pretty well told at this point (since you could argue that she's just as if not more important than Max is in the first game). I think if they ever come back to Arcadia Bay they should give somebody else a turn in the spotlight for a change. Chloe could still be a side character if need be, just not the main focus.

I looked at the jawbreaker - twice in fact, when looking for trash and when looking for the map, and got the picture of max getting Chloe’s initials tattooed on her. I didn’t realize there was an alternate picture. What was it? There must have been some other variable other than the jawbreaker

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

rio posted:

I looked at the jawbreaker - twice in fact, when looking for trash and when looking for the map, and got the picture of max getting Chloe’s initials tattooed on her. I didn’t realize there was an alternate picture. What was it? There must have been some other variable other than the jawbreaker

Did you lick it? It's a picture of Max licking the jawbreaker with something like, 'this jawbreaker's going to last forever' and Chloe says something to the effect of, 'just like our friendship.'

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Also what the gently caress that jawbreaker was just sitting IN CLOTHES probably covered in hair and poo poo and they just lick it like it's nothing

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It'll be interesting to see if they pull anything from Twin Peaks: the Return next game. I feel like it'd be a lot more difficult and probably not worth it tbh.

Everybody is alive again but now they have different names and live in West Texas

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Max really kind of loving sucks

Max is a loving sociopath. Poor Chloe.

Forget sacrificing Bae or Bay. If anyone deserves to get shot in her cold dead heart, it's Max.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Did you lick it? It's a picture of Max licking the jawbreaker with something like, 'this jawbreaker's going to last forever' and Chloe says something to the effect of, 'just like our friendship.'
No, how did you get the option to lick it? Both times I looked at it the text was the same, about how Max thought it was weird that she would keep it or something like that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

rio posted:

No, how did you get the option to lick it? Both times I looked at it the text was the same, about how Max thought it was weird that she would keep it or something like that.

There should have been an option to trash it, at which point you lick it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

There should have been an option to trash it, at which point you lick it.

Oh that’s weird. I didn’t have the trash option either time I looked at it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

General Dog posted:

Everybody is alive again but now they have different names and live in West Texas

...I'd be OK with this. Plus you could have The Mountain Goats on the soundtrack.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
They have inexplicably long shots of people doing extremely mundane tasks for every loading screen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Larryb posted:

-The message on the answering machine is only there if you talked to Chloe about Blackwell (you might have to read the email between her parents and Principle Wells too, I'm not sure). Oddly enough, the woman who voiced Marisa's mother on the machine is not listed in the end credits (unless it was just Burch or Telle pulling double-duty).

The answering machine message is 100% Ashly Burch doing her Elisabet Sobeck voice.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Great, now I want fanart of Chloe and Max in Horizon: Zero Dawn world.

And a picture of Aloy wearing a hot dog man shirt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

As always, the LiS fanart community is two steps ahead.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Aloy is rad is hell.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

As always, the LiS fanart community is two steps ahead.

Perfect.

In regards to the ending, while she means well and does get better later on I honestly kind of hate Max a little now. The move wasn't her fault of course but from Chloe's perspective, basically the last thing her best friend ever told her was a lie. In fact, it generally seems that those Chloe loves are ultimately the ones who wind up hurting her the worst (Max, Joyce, Rachel, even William to an extent).

I'm actually kind of curious now what happened to cause Max to break her promise and think a game set during her Seattle days might go a long way towards alleviating some of that. Not right away of course as we need to give the new cast a fair shake before running back to the old one again but it is something worth considering.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think it was made pretty clear even in Season One that William's death was also a traumatic experience for Max, and in typical Max fashion her way of addressing grief was to avoid avoid avoid made simpler by the physical distance of living in Seattle. Farewell constantly reinforces how Max totally relies on Chloe's confidence and optimism, and when that part of her died, Max lost that entire half of her personality, too. I don't think it's necessary to see anything except "childhood friends forever damaged by a mutually traumatic event drift apart." It's not a particularly uncommon occurrence.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Chloe just get relentlessly owned in every aspect is such a core part of the LiS setting I don't know how they could make a game that isn't about that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think it was made pretty clear even in Season One that William's death was also a traumatic experience for Max, and in typical Max fashion her way of addressing grief was to avoid avoid avoid made simpler by the physical distance of living in Seattle. Farewell constantly reinforces how Max totally relies on Chloe's confidence and optimism, and when that part of her died, Max lost that entire half of her personality, too. I don't think it's necessary to see anything except "childhood friends forever damaged by a mutually traumatic event drift apart." It's not a particularly uncommon occurrence.

Fair point, though I still think a game like that could potentially be interesting. We could get a chance to actually interact with Max's parents beyond just texts, see what Kris and Fernando were like, how Max was dealing with the whole situation, etc, not sure what the pre-rewind gimmick would be though. But yeah, I agree it's not really necessary in order to understand things. Max tried to move on, Chloe couldn't (or rather, she was never really given a chance to considering the fact that everything kind of started piling up in quick succession from there).

Think about it: her dad dies, 3 days later Max leaves, then not long after that her mom brings home David. Chloe barely has any time to deal with one issue before another is immediately forced upon her. which in retrospect kind of makes Joyce's comment in the first game about how Chloe "chose to stay angry" after her dad's death an extremely lovely thing to say. Reading some comments online I don't think a lot of the fanbase really seems to "get" Chloe (and I can see how she would come off as obnoxious to a first time player), even going so far as to say she doesn't develop or change at all during the first game (which is just stupid). This isn't some kind of selfish monster, this is a broken girl desperate to find something to hold on to.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 6, 2018

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The section of the fanbase that detests Chloe Price is weird, she's great

Also while I'm totally fine with LiS1 being put to rest I think it'd be a shame to not go back to the first game some day and redo the facial animation to be on par with BtS and Farewell. It's kinda hard to take some of the emotional scenes in LiS1 seriously when Max's mouth just isn't moving...or emoting much at all, really.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I used to hate Chloe but now I hate Max. Worst best friend ever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think all segments of the fanbase that actively hate any of the three principle leads from the series are weird and I question their understanding of the game as a whole. I don’t know if any superfans truly hate Chloe though, that mostly comes from people who just don’t connect with LiS at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I think all segments of the fanbase that actively hate any of the three principle leads from the series are weird and I question their understanding of the game as a whole. I don’t know if any superfans truly hate Chloe though, that mostly comes from people who just don’t connect with LiS at all.

That makes sense in a way, if you can't stand Chloe it's entirely possible you're not going to enjoy the rest of the game much considering the fact that a majority of the plot tends to revolve around her. Hell, I wasn't a huge fan of hers when I first started LiS but now I'm more or less completly on her side.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 6, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah, they did a good job humanizing all of them and not making any of them unrealistically perfect. I can certainly not like some of the things they did but I definitely can’t hate any of them.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

When you think about it, the list of objectively bad people in this series are actually few and far between. While not many of the rest are completely innocent (aside from maybe Samuel and Kate, Steph and Mikey are pretty good too), most of them still have their good points and/or have some kind of circumstance behind their actions that makes them more sympathetic (like Nathan being genuinely mentally ill or Victoria being under a huge amount of pressure to succeed).

This is what I like about this series, there aren't that many clear cut heroes or villians. It makes the characters seem more human that way.

The only genuinely terrible people I can think of are:

Sean Prescott: Cares more about his legacy and ambitions than his own son. Generally a lovely human being all the way around

Damon Merrick: A thug who is generally always pissed off, actively hurts others to get his point across and will turn on people at the drop of a hat. Kind of the Anti-Chloe in some sense (he's basically everything she pretends to be fully realized).

Eliot Hampden: Sees Chloe as less of a person and more of a damsel in need of rescuing. Actively stalks an pesters her throughout the game (going so far as to spell out the definition of stalking when called on it) and gets genuinely pissed off when Chloe doesn't follow the script he laid out in his head.

James Amber: While he may have thought he was doing what's best for Rachel he took things way too far and never really stopped lying to her even when she finally demanded the truth. Of course, the irony of all this is that he did these things at the expense of someone else he once claimed to love.

Raymond Wells: A pathetic drunk who cares more about prestige than the welfare of his students and will actively punish lower class students like Chloe in order to protect the more well off ones, even when it's the latter group that's actually at fault. Maybe not as bad as some but he's still not a man who really should be in charge of anyone.

Mark Jefferson: A sick freak that abuses his power in order to satisfy his fetishes and tends to discard others when they're no longer useful to him. A darker version of Max in a way (mostly due to them both being skilled photographers with a tendency to manipulate people and both in their own way are obsessed with the concept of innocence).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 6, 2018

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just finished this and it was great as a bonus. Kinda liked that there were no big decisions or conflict and you just got to hang out in (what turn out to be) the last moments of Chloe's childhood.

Aside from all the other stuff this series does, I think the Price house is a pretty unique space in games. It couldn't be more of an average building, but exploring it in different years and timelines is a great way of understanding the characters. You'd think it'd get boring to nose around after two series, but I still love checking up what's going on in the bathroom cupboards or seeing the state of the Price family TV. Kind of feels like a character in its own right by this point.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
There was still one door left unexplored, even if we got to see behind the other one this episode. Hopefully it was just a linen-press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It was nice to poke around and it doesn't really change that much between the two games (though I don't remember seeing the hight chart in Chloe's room during BtS proper, unless it was just hidden by other things). It was nice to finally be able to open the door next to the bathroom in this episode though (but the one by the stairs still remains a mystery).

• Locked thread