Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Yeah, your Aldi is loving weird. I’ve been to branches in 5 states and 3 countries and they’ve all been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Probably a regional branch difference. Here, they get so few applications (and they only accept paper applications) that they're still giving out ones with "2016" pre-printed on the form. For some reason, they're closing at a pretty high rate.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gnoman posted:

The branch here pays minimum wage ($8.75, while most of the other chains start at $10.00 or more), keeps getting caught stealing wages, and spends millions campaigning against minimum wage increases. The floor tiles are also black, despite being white when they were installed. This is because they figure out the minimum number of employees needed for the store to function, then hire a quarter as many.

Oh man. What is your general area if you don't mind me asking? Be as vague as you want, outside of country, obviously.

Elmnt80 posted:

The Aldi here pays $15/hr, which is almost double minimum wage. The store is always clean and well cared for too. My impression is this is pretty standard for their stores in the US. They're never short of applications.

The ALDIs in Chicago pay around that, and are impossible to get hired at just like their sister stores, Trader Joe's. Both are pretty dang good.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Oh man. What is your general area if you don't mind me asking? Be as vague as you want, outside of country, obviously.

Ohio.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

https://careers.aldi.us/location/ohio-jobs/61/6252001-5165418/3

All of those have a starting salary of $12+.

Are you sure it's a real Aldi?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I checked out the local Lidl here (Richmond, VA) today, it having just opened in the past year or so. It was fine, but selection was pretty hit or miss, even compared to the Aldi I use- which is generally pretty good and 15 minutes closer. I definitely missed a lot of the bread though, probably just due to going by in the afternoon, so I may swing by the bakery again some time.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gnoman posted:

A bottom-barrel supermarket chain that cuts prices to the bone by paying their workers like crap and never cleaning the store.

enough about walmart.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I worked at Wal-Mart, we had to keep poo poo spotless. I worked in the meat department, though.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Where at? I'm in Central OH, and the Aldi's here are nice.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Manuel Calavera posted:

Where at? I'm in Central OH, and the Aldi's here are nice.

Northwest. The hiring link above doesn't even bring up any results from here. All I know is that everyone I've met that worked at our Aldis described them as "hell", and that their Kroeger and Walmart jobs were much better.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I went to an Aldi's when I was staying in Akron, OH and it was poo poo- small, bad selection and no cheaper than Giant Eagle which is a full-size grocery store. They later opened a store near my hometown in southern California and it was apparently pretty nice.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I loving love canned sardines. I loving love kippered herring. I love pickled herring. Preferably mustard, but the cajun, or tomato sauce, isn't bad. Cottonseed oil is total :barf: though. Now canned oysters, no can do.

My wife works at an Aldi and it's pretty awesome compared to other retail. Plus she gets a decent retirement, health, dental, and optical. Granted she has to bust her rear end, as other chains of the same square footage would have at least triple the employees.

I haven't tried the canned sardines yet though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Yooper posted:

I loving love canned sardines. I loving love kippered herring. I love pickled herring. Preferably mustard, but the cajun, or tomato sauce, isn't bad. Cottonseed oil is total :barf: though. Now canned oysters, no can do.

My wife works at an Aldi and it's pretty awesome compared to other retail. Plus she gets a decent retirement, health, dental, and optical. Granted she has to bust her rear end, as other chains of the same square footage would have at least triple the employees.

I haven't tried the canned sardines yet though.

I am pretty much down for all the canned fishies. Seconding the canned oysters though. Neither normal nor smoked. Fresh, yeah, if I take my antihistamines first...

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pham Nuwen posted:

I had a big piece of octopus tentacle (maybe 1.5" diameter) a while back, lightly battered and deep-fried, and it had the texture and appearance of chicken breast. Tasted a little like chicken breast too, but really juicy and full of flavor and with a very mild seafood element. Gonna have to try and make this for myself at some point.

I've had that too, at Caesar's Palace. It was amazing. I can get squid, fresh, frozen, or just the tubes (frozen) at my asian market. I have yet to see good sized octopus tentacles, but I'll keep an eye out. So far experimenting with cans of stuff with labels I can't read has gotten me some awful tinned crab-containing stuff, and a really good tin of lobster in sauce that made a good soup.

I'm not kidding about Sriracha and lemon juice dressing to accompany tinned fish on toast or crackers, that's a pro-sauce for fish.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Yooper posted:

I loving love kippered herring.
Yuuup. My grandpa used to eat them as a snack. Every now and then I'll buy a tin and some Triscuits and go to town and it's nostalgic as hell :3:

Also with the smelt their bones are fine anyway, and the coating is crunchier than anything inside so you don't notice.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mllaneza posted:

I've had that too, at Caesar's Palace. It was amazing. I can get squid, fresh, frozen, or just the tubes (frozen) at my asian market. I have yet to see good sized octopus tentacles, but I'll keep an eye out. So far experimenting with cans of stuff with labels I can't read has gotten me some awful tinned crab-containing stuff, and a really good tin of lobster in sauce that made a good soup.

I'm not kidding about Sriracha and lemon juice dressing to accompany tinned fish on toast or crackers, that's a pro-sauce for fish.

Living in the Bay Area does leave you spoiled for choice on interesting seafood.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
One thing this thread has got me hooked on is the US Military Recipe Cards, which are fascinating to me on a number of levels but not least because as a Brit I can play the game of Is This Dish:

1. A weird regional US thing
2. A weird US military thing

So stuff like Beef Porcupines, Congo Bars or Pineapple Marshmallow Coleslaw - what the gently caress do these taste like, and would anyone not in the military make them? Are these weird relic recipes from the 40's or just there in case Army cooks are in some situation where they've not been resupplied for a while and have to use whatever weird poo poo they've got? It's interesting!

One other thing I have learned from this as a Brit is holy poo poo imperial measurements are so loving bad. There is a multiple page section in the General Information pages covering how to scale up or down recipes (all recipe cards are for 100 portions) becuase it turns out if you have measurements like "2 quarts 1-1/4 cups beef broth" or "1-7/8 oz salt" if you need to scale that back by, say, a third, that's not actually very easy, at all. The guidelines even give instructions on how to convert something like 7/8 oz into lbs (0.0547 for reference) so you can multiply it by 2 or 0.5 or whatever, and my immediate thought it...why not just write the recipes like that in the first place? Or even better, just use metric?

I've had to use a spreadsheet to convert everything into metric so I can scale it easier because as it turns out I don't really need to make 100 portions of Chicken Cacciatore (Cooked Chicken, Diced) at a time.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MikeCrotch posted:

One thing this thread has got me hooked on is the US Military Recipe Cards, which are fascinating to me on a number of levels but not least because as a Brit I can play the game of Is This Dish:

So stuff like Beef Porcupines, Congo Bars or Pineapple Marshmallow Coleslaw - what the gently caress do these taste like, and would anyone not in the military make them? Are these weird relic recipes from the 40's or just there in case Army cooks are in some situation where they've not been resupplied for a while and have to use whatever weird poo poo they've got? It's interesting!

One other thing I have learned from this as a Brit is holy poo poo imperial measurements are so loving bad. There is a multiple page section in the General Information pages covering how to scale up or down recipes (all recipe cards are for 100 portions) becuase it turns out if you have measurements like "2 quarts 1-1/4 cups beef broth" or "1-7/8 oz salt" if you need to scale that back by, say, a third, that's not actually very easy, at all. The guidelines even give instructions on how to convert something like 7/8 oz into lbs (0.0547 for reference) so you can multiply it by 2 or 0.5 or whatever, and my immediate thought it...why not just write the recipes like that in the first place? Or even better, just use metric?

I've had to use a spreadsheet to convert everything into metric so I can scale it easier because as it turns out I don't really need to make 100 portions of Chicken Cacciatore (Cooked Chicken, Diced) at a time.

The pineapple marshmallow cole slaw is almost definitely a weird relic recipe/regional US thing. A dish called "ambrosia" is commonly served at big family dinners like Easter or Thanksgiving as a side, which consists of marshmallows, pineapple, and sometimes like canned fruit salad, mixed together with whipped cream. Sometimes there's a bit of sour cream in there, too.

I think it's nasty, but it's like a midwestern dinner party staple.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Beef porcupines were definitely a regular item at the army DFAC I worked for a couple years ago. This was a US base that would get in things like lobster tails for the army's birthday or shrimp cocktail on holidays, so it certainly wasn't a matter of limited supplies.

Porcupines weren't so bad, really, they're just meatballs with rice that helps pad out the meat --- probably a relic of rationing. 90% of the cooks there had no clue how to season anything, though, so your brain would get ready for a tasty meatball and then your mouth would say, "nnnnope, that's a bland ball of mush". :(

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
So far I've found that the recipes are pretty good, as long as you double the seasonings. Otherwise yeah, you are in bland mush city.

I wonder if it's a 'save money' thing to skimp on seasonings or an 'assume the chefs are idiots' thing.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

MikeCrotch posted:

So far I've found that the recipes are pretty good, as long as you double the seasonings. Otherwise yeah, you are in bland mush city.

I wonder if it's a 'save money' thing to skimp on seasonings or an 'assume the chefs are idiots' thing.
Or possibly also "We're dealing with Midwestern farmer's kids, a brief glance at a jar of garlic powder is enough spice".

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

MikeCrotch posted:

Cooks at my DFAC were about 50/50 actual enlisted army personnel vs contractors. The former followed recipes to the letter, and put out way under-seasoned stuff. The latter generally put out stuff that could serve as a deer salt lick. A handful of cooks on both sides actually comprehended "season to taste" within reason.

So a bit of both, probably!

Edit: ^^^ that too

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Beef porcupines were definitely a regular item at the army DFAC I worked for a couple years ago. This was a US base that would get in things like lobster tails for the army's birthday or shrimp cocktail on holidays, so it certainly wasn't a matter of limited supplies.

Porcupines weren't so bad, really, they're just meatballs with rice that helps pad out the meat --- probably a relic of rationing. 90% of the cooks there had no clue how to season anything, though, so your brain would get ready for a tasty meatball and then your mouth would say, "nnnnope, that's a bland ball of mush". :(

I have a uniquely deep hatred of beef porcupines/porcupine balls. My ex-girlfriend wanted to make them once. Didn't sound good to me, so I tried everything including buying her dinner at her favorite place, but all to no avail. Later that night she calls me at work in tears to tell me there was an apartment fire. Yes, our apartment.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
All of those recipes definitely look like relics from the 50s. If you go looking into it you'll be hard-pressed to find anything beyond endless listicles with screenshots from cookbooks, but the trend has kind of an interesting history.

It comes from a combination of factors: refrigerators were still expensive in the early 50s, there was a cultural emphasis on American plenty, a wide variety of foods were suddenly available across the country in processed form, and there was a push to elevate women's work as more professional and scientific. So you got these huge dishes of processed food, encased in geometric shapes.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Yeah, those sound a lot more 50s to me, but I could be wrong. Also, the ambrosia crap is something my Godmother made for me when I was a kid and she's about as southern as you can get. Her cooking is meat dishes and mixing things that come out of cans.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Army recipes until MREs were basically just the same standard “American” food, generally taking from the Midwest. It wasn’t until the 80s and 90s that a serious effort was made at representing different cultures as more than just occasional “exotic” treats.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sleepy.eyes posted:

Yeah, those sound a lot more 50s to me, but I could be wrong. Also, the ambrosia crap is something my Godmother made for me when I was a kid and she's about as southern as you can get. Her cooking is meat dishes and mixing things that come out of cans.
That last part goes a long way to explaining why these recipes linger in institutional cooking, well past their cultural shelf life. And sometimes their actual shelf life.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is the saltiest thing I've ever tasted, and I once ate a big heaping bowl of salt:

My grandmother used to make SOS for my grandfather probably every month or so, and I still enjoy it to this day, but I don't think I've ever had any cooked to the actual Army recipe using actual Army beef, chipped, dried, chopped, because 1.2 grams of salt for a whole 169 calories sounds loving insane. For your standard 2000cal/day diet that'd be over 14 grams of salt.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Phanatic posted:

This is the saltiest thing I've ever tasted, and I once ate a big heaping bowl of salt:

My grandmother used to make SOS for my grandfather probably every month or so, and I still enjoy it to this day, but I don't think I've ever had any cooked to the actual Army recipe using actual Army beef, chipped, dried, chopped, because 1.2 grams of salt for a whole 169 calories sounds loving insane. For your standard 2000cal/day diet that'd be over 14 grams of salt.

You're leaving out the bread

And also the salt loss from hours of doing dumb bullshit in the sun

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Both my grandpas loved chipped beef gravy, but yeah, I don't think they used the Army/Navy recipe.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

One shudders to imagine just how many times a man must consume this before he comes up with the term poo poo on a shingle.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

One shudders to imagine just how many times a man must consume this before he comes up with the term poo poo on a shingle.

All of once, I'd wager.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Heh, I went and looked up the nutritional information for Armour chipped beef like you'd buy at the grocery store, and it's got 1.3 grams of salt per 30-gram serving. Which is pretty much right in line with what that recipe shows based on 7lbs of beef for 100 servings.

So I think that step 2 where you soak the beef to get a bunch of the salt out of it, like you do with salt-preserved foods in general, and then throw the soaking liquid away, just isn't accounted for in the nutritional information. It just assumes every bit of salt in the beef winds up in the finished dish.

Or...oh god, are you supposed to use the brine you've just created to reconstitute the milk with? :stonk:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Market it as an isotonic drink.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
On the subject of seasonings one 100 portion recipe called for 1/8 tsp of garlic powder. Like what is the point, really.

OTOH Quick Coffee Cake and Brownies are both really good. I think I'm seeing a pattern here

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

My Dad still makes SOS from time to time. Not sure if it's from gaining a taste for it ove r decades in the Army or being born in Depression era Minnesota.

Since Mom died my sister and I trade weekends to go over, spend some time and cook for him. I've made Classic Hotdish several times now. Browned hamburger, a can of chopped tomatoes, macaroni and topped with shredded cheese and baked til bubbly. Not exactly health food or fine dining, but for him it's comfort food and after multiple combat tours, cancer, meningitis that has left him not who he used to be, gently caress it. Give him comfort.

Poor guy never had pizza until he was 19....

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MikeCrotch posted:

On the subject of seasonings one 100 portion recipe called for 1/8 tsp of garlic powder. Like what is the point, really.

OTOH Quick Coffee Cake and Brownies are both really good. I think I'm seeing a pattern here

I read a recipe for oven-baked pork and they were using like 1 bay leaf for every 10 servings.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

MikeCrotch posted:

Congo bars are totally normal, not military or regional here. They're just blondies. I know your cookies are weird, but do you not have blondies? Bar cookies? Brownies?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I read a recipe for oven-baked pork and they were using like 1 bay leaf for every 10 servings.

Heck, earlier in the thread I think it was you that posted a Tabasco-themed cookbook during Vietnam. Recipes included such quantities as "a dash" or "three drops."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

deadly_pudding posted:

The pineapple marshmallow cole slaw is almost definitely a weird relic recipe/regional US thing. A dish called "ambrosia" is commonly served at big family dinners like Easter or Thanksgiving as a side, which consists of marshmallows, pineapple, and sometimes like canned fruit salad, mixed together with whipped cream. Sometimes there's a bit of sour cream in there, too.

I think it's nasty, but it's like a midwestern dinner party staple.

My family's recipe for that is pineapple, marshmallows, whipped cream, lime jello, and cottage cheese. Sounds horrible, but I love that loving stuff. It's too bad it's only made Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter.

• Locked thread