Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vince will always choose to make a dime his way than a dollar someone else’s way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

DrKrankenwagen posted:

His gimmick and the way he sells it kills me for some reason. Him flying on the titantron cracks me up.

the hurricane rules. I'm like the biggest hurricane mark and I freaked out when he came out for the rumble this year. God bless sugar Shane Gregory the hurricane helms.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
HHH loving buried GOLDBERG in 2003, and before that Booker T at Wrestlemania after saying "his type of people" didn't belong in the main event.
Are you REALLY surprised he buried Hurricane Helms as well (and Kane and Bubba Ray Dudley and Chris Jericho and RVD...there's a reason it was called the "Reign of Terror")

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Also, heel Rock in 2003 was awesome. Possibly even to the extent that he might trump Stone Cold as my favourite ever top WWE star. Pairing that and his personality with The Hurricane was never not going to be good.

FIIIIIIIIIINALLLLLYYYYY!

(audience boos)

I SAID, FIIIIIIIIIIINNNNAAALLLLLLLLYYYYY!

(audience boos more)

FINALLY, THE ROCK, HAS COME BACK! TO INDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh who gives a crap?

Meanwhile ol' Trips was trying to establish that it was he who single-handedly won the Monday Night Wars by beating various ex-WCW stars. :thumbsup:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

When he feuded with Goldberg and got squashed flat was great too.

"The Rock ain't never been beat that fast in his drat life."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shiki Dan posted:

HHH loving buried GOLDBERG in 2003, and before that Booker T at Wrestlemania after saying "his type of people" didn't belong in the main event.
Are you REALLY surprised he buried Hurricane Helms as well (and Kane and Bubba Ray Dudley and Chris Jericho and RVD...there's a reason it was called the "Reign of Terror")

Eugene also

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Worse than that, REGAL. And Hunter actually has a ton of love and respect for Regal by all accounts, so that was purely ego-driven, despite the fact that it could at least have led to a decent little B-PPV match.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Also, heel Rock in 2003 was awesome.

That version of Rock in HCTP was the best. Looked really different, did a bunch of cool cocky taunts. So awesome.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

That was a little later.

He buried Jericho, Booker, Goldberg, Bubba Ray, Kane, RVD, Hurricane, and the lineage of the World Title all in JUST 2003.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
to be fair your main guy is going to have to go over people, but the Booker T Mania match sticks out as the most egregious moment in that whole run

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Triple H didn't bury Goldberg though. He won him twice in multiman matches with heel tactics and lost him twice.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Here is Helms talking about working with Rock! (AND GIVING PROPS TO KEVIN DUNN)

https://youtu.be/S8HD52p8GvA

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Years ago I remember a match that had Bradshaw. Pretty sure he had the mustache so it was either APA time or not long after Farooq retired. There was a spot where a "fan" threw beer onto Bradshaw while he was brawling in the crowd and Bradshaw decks him. The camera perfectly framed them both.

My question is, what was the point of this? Why Bradshaw, why this random RAW match, why this one time that I can remember? Did they actually do this more often to try and get people over?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Kennel posted:

Triple H didn't bury Goldberg though. He won him twice in multiman matches with heel tactics and lost him twice.

Maybe 'buried' is the wrong word.
'terminally blunted his momentum' is more appropriate.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Web Jew.0 posted:

That version of Rock in HCTP was the best. Looked really different, did a bunch of cool cocky taunts. So awesome.

I think this was the one who had a move where he suplexed the other guy, sat up and sarcastically clapped

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

I think this was the one who had a move where he suplexed the other guy, sat up and sarcastically clapped

He also had a move where he'd clothesline you inside out after ducking something, then do "I'm so smart" brain tap. Good times.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Kennel posted:

Actually it was three times each, but that's not the point.

Between mid-Feb to mid-April, Booker T went over Triple H in 5 matches on free TV.
Booker only lost to Triple H once, the one Title match at Wrestlemania.

So Booker T went 5-1 against HHH in that period, but guess which match is the one that everyone remembers?
A burial is more than just wins and losses, it's booking and timing.

Goldberg went 3-3 against HHH, but he also lost the one that really mattered...the first one, at Summerslam, in an EC match where Goldberg squashed the 4 other RAW main eventers and then jobbed to a HHH who was so injured he spent 90% of the match literally lying down.
HHH was the absolute master of knowing when the exact right moment was to cut someone's legs off.
Plus, it's frickin GOLDBERG. You don't go even or better with Goldberg unless you're Bret Hart, and Bret got retired for it.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

to be fair your main guy is going to have to go over people, but the Booker T Mania match sticks out as the most egregious moment in that whole run

No one seriously was going to buy Bubba Ray and Hurricane as legit main eventers back in 2003, but for a guy that idolizes Ric Flair and patterned his career after him, HHH ought to know how to go over while still making his opponent look decent.

Nobody bought 1-2-3 Kid as WWF Championship material in 1994, either, but Bret Hart still gave him a shot and put on one of the best free TV WWF matches in history.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
tbh i've sometimes thought Flair gave certain opponents too much (a tv match with Tom loving Zenk was a big red flag for me) but yeah that's a good point

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I have said before that Sting and Booker T are examples of guys who work to the level of their opponent. Ric Flair kind of had that as part of his character while what he really did was drag everyone up to work at his level.

Eh I'm actually going to backtrack that a bit. It was more that Flair was the best in the world and he brought out the best in his opponents as well, often to his own detriment.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 8, 2018

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think Alvarez(?) said this of HHH after his match against Scott Steiner at the Royal Rumble.

"Ok, Scott is injured and well past his prime. That's fine. Ok HHH, it's been said that Ric Flair could have a four star match with a broomstick. Here's your broomstick, make this work."
"Nope, instead you stunk up the joint and put all the blame on Steiner."

Although you could argue that Scott was worse than a broomstick at this point.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
WWE has WrestleMania, NJPW has Wrestle Kingdom, WCW had Starrcade, what're other promotions, past and present, Big One of the year?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There's TripleMania and the CMLL Anniversary Show.

Starrcade was only loosely the biggest WCW show, there were years where the biggest show seemed to be SuperBrawl, Halloween Havoc, or the GAB

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

VJeff posted:

WWE has WrestleMania, NJPW has Wrestle Kingdom, WCW had Starrcade, what're other promotions, past and present, Big One of the year?

TNA Bound For Glory

November to Remember might have been ECW's?

WCCW had like, Star Wars or something.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VJeff posted:

ROH-Final Battle
PWG-BOLA
CZW-Cage of Death
TNA-Slammiversary
CMLL-Anniversary (this year is their 80th I think)
Chikara-King of Trios
Dragon Gate-Final Gate

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
DDT - Peter Pan

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

ROH-Final Battle
PWG-BOLA
CZW-Cage of Death
TNA-Slammiversary
CMLL-Anniversary (this year is their 80th I think)
Chikara-King of Trios
Dragon Gate-Final Gate

It's not Slammiversary for TNA, they have always wanted it to be Bound for Glory, they always said it was BFG but Lockdown almost always did better business.

Meanwhile Slammiversary was pretty much always a show no one cared about.

This year will be Anniversary 85 for CMLL.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

TNA Bound For Glory

November to Remember might have been ECW's?

WCCW had like, Star Wars or something.

It was kind of Barely Legal, if just because it was their 1st foray into PPV and a lot stuff important to ECW history happened there.

That said Heatwave was usually their best show of the year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It was kind of Barely Legal, if just because it was their 1st foray into PPV and a lot stuff important to ECW history happened there.

That said Heatwave was usually their best show of the year.

They only used the name once for a PPV though. November 2 Remember had been a pretty major show dating back to the early pre PPV days of ECW. However just due to the way the company was structured they didn't have one really supreme PPV event. Everything depending on timing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Starrcade was only loosely the biggest WCW show, there were years where the biggest show seemed to be SuperBrawl, Halloween Havoc, or the GAB

Or Bash at the Beach, with the reveal of the Third Man

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Want to do an anecdotal, informal poll here: Does anyone know someone who was a Cena mark as a kid who's now at least an older teenager? Are they still into wrestling or has it become something they 'grew out of'?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Coaaab posted:

Want to do an anecdotal, informal poll here: Does anyone know someone who was a Cena mark as a kid who's now at least an older teenager? Are they still into wrestling or has it become something they 'grew out of'?

My coworker's kid was really into John Cena and Jeff Hardy when he was in like first grade or so. He actually tried to fight me when I told him Chris Jericho was my favorite wrestler.

He grew out of it by the time he was like thirteen or so.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Shiki Dan posted:

A burial is more than just wins and losses, it's booking and timing.

Goldberg went 3-3 against HHH, but he also lost the one that really mattered...the first one, at Summerslam, in an EC match where Goldberg squashed the 4 other RAW main eventers and then jobbed to a HHH who was so injured he spent 90% of the match literally lying down.
Goldberg was buried in a match where he collected pinfalls on Orton, Michaels, and Jericho? In a program that saw him win clean in title matches on two separate PPVs?

Coaaab posted:

Very curious about the hypothesis here.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

Goldberg was buried in a match where he collected pinfalls on Orton, Michaels, and Jericho? In a program that saw him win clean in title matches on two separate PPVs?

The finish made him look like an idiot.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

The finish made him look like an idiot.

The finish where, after pinning 2.5 main eventers, he was dominating the cowardly heel champion with little resistance before taking the sledgehammer to the head?

I'm sure there were ways to protect Goldberg better than they did, but surely there has to be some space between "protected in defeat" and "buried"?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Paracaidas posted:

I'm just curious, I'm well aware this sort of question has absolutely no scientific value at all, and I think we're just coming into the nascent years of assessing Cena's legacy. And I imagine most of the responses will trend towards "yeah, they're still into it" because anyone that would look up this thread is already a wrestling fan anyway.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

The finish where, after pinning 2.5 main eventers, he was dominating the cowardly heel champion with little resistance before taking the sledgehammer to the head?

I'm sure there were ways to protect Goldberg better than they did, but surely there has to be some space between "protected in defeat" and "buried"?

They probably should have just had him won, since he was red hot, still in his prime, and to put it lightly, a little more interesting than Triple H. Instead, even motherfucking Goldberg contracted "Just Another Guy" syndrome.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Isn't it funny how Goldberg got way more over in defeat the time he just loving lost clean (WM33) than either of the bullshit times they tried to "protect" him?

The time he lost clean, it was time for him to lose and you didn't need to throw a bunch of asterisks on it to make people accept it. The other two times, it wasn't time for him to lose, so despite the ridiculous layers of protection they applied to it, they still leave a hugely sour taste in people's mouths.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Oh, it was lovely booking and the wrong winner for sure.

I'm just trying to understand how someone can go from that to burial given what actually happened. Or I just don't understand what a burial is?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
People overuse the term buried, but when you take a top guy and make him Just Another Guy, the effective difference is pretty slight.

For example, I would say that as of right now, they've pretty effectively Just Another Guy-ed Cena. Is he buried? Not really. Do I care about anything he does, including wrestling the Undertaker? Nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

When Goldberg's gimmick is "unstoppable monster with an undefeated streak" (yes, he was undefeated in WWE at that point), then jobbing him out to a cowardly heel champ in his very first title shot IS a burial.

It was just as bad as if Goldberg jobbed to Hogan at the Georgia Dome, or if Warrior failed to win the I-C title from Honky Tonk Man.