Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

deadly_pudding posted:

The pineapple marshmallow cole slaw is almost definitely a weird relic recipe/regional US thing. A dish called "ambrosia" is commonly served at big family dinners like Easter or Thanksgiving as a side, which consists of marshmallows, pineapple, and sometimes like canned fruit salad, mixed together with whipped cream. Sometimes there's a bit of sour cream in there, too.

I think it's nasty, but it's like a midwestern dinner party staple.

I will hear nothing against ambrosia salad, it's so gross looking but sooooo good. It's just referred to ominously as 'green stuff' in my family; if any of you want to inch closer to diabetes, here's my mom's recipe.

8 oz. shredded pineapple
12 oz. pineapple chunks or tidbits
1 sm. Can mandarin oranges
1 c. mini marshmallows
1 c. coconut
1 c. nuts
1 8 oz. Cool whip
1 sm. box pistachio pudding

Put pineapple and juice in bowl. Add drained mandarins. Sprinkle pudding mix on top and let set about 3 min. Mix in nuts and coconut, then fold in marshmallows and cool whip. Chill and eat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm a big fan of the variant frogseye salad, made with Acini di pepe pasta.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

subpar anachronism posted:

I will hear nothing against ambrosia salad, it's so gross looking but sooooo good. It's just referred to ominously as 'green stuff' in my family; if any of you want to inch closer to diabetes, here's my mom's recipe.

8 oz. shredded pineapple
1 c. mini marshmallows
1 c. coconut
1 c. nuts
1 8 oz. Cool whip

Put pineapple and juice in bowl. Add drained mandarins. Sprinkle pudding mix on top and let set about 3 min. Mix in nuts and coconut, then fold in marshmallows and cool whip. Chill and eat!

Nah mate, that's not Ambrosia. That's a Watergate salad stirred together with an Ambrosia salad.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Y'all forgot the chopped maraschino cherries

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Anne Whateley posted:

Congo bars are totally normal, not military or regional here. They're just blondies. I know your cookies are weird, but do you not have blondies? Bar cookies? Brownies?

Blondies - known of but a rarity
Bar cookies - sort of, usually in the form of something like caramel shortbread or a traybake. I'd never heard of something like baking chocolate chip cookie dough in a tray and slicing it until I saw it in an American recipe
Brownies - We have them

As for Congo Bars it's more the name - nobody over here would know what the gently caress that was just from the name alone. Probably a similar thing if you saw an Eccles Cake on a menu, would you have any idea what that was just from the name?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

subpar anachronism posted:

8 oz. shredded pineapple
1 c. mini marshmallows
1 c. coconut
1 c. nuts
1 8 oz. Cool whip

See this I can understand, sort of, because it's just a fruit salad

It's the weird way that nominally savoury things like coleslaw get turned into sweet things that baffles me about US cooking. If i'm making something like barbecue sauce, cornbread or coleslaw from an American recipe I usually have to halve or even quarter the sugar or it just ends up far too sweet for me.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That does look cloyingly sweet, I'll give it a try but substituting unsweetened whip and pudding mix as the preserved fruits and marshmallow are very sweet already.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
American cooking is way too full of processed sugar. The sauces at fast food places are basically syrups in most cases.

I've made a variation on it using chocolate pudding mix and maraschino cherries instead of pineapple. (You've got to drain off all the juice from the cherries, though, or it's going to be too sweet.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a very weird point in American culinary history where everything was all about canned goods for some reason. Some kind of combination of fresh foods unavailable and blind futurism thinking that the foods with all this new technology put into preserving them were better.

I didn't know that coleslaw was supposed to be savory though, but I guess I never eat it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Yeah, it was optimism about technology and abundance coming out of WWII, with the US as the sole hegemonic economic power that wasn't the Soviet Union.

TBF it must have been cool to suddenly be able to get pineapple in Oklahoma, even if it was canned.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

As for Congo Bars it's more the name - nobody over here would know what the gently caress that was just from the name alone.
I think that's true in the States, too, at least here in the Midwest--I'd never heard of that name before. They probably put a fun name on it to dress it up a bit.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Thanks a lot thread, I've got the craving

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
America embraced the fact that we would be waging a nuclear war of survival and would need to stockpile 20 years worth of food in a hole to make it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Elephanthead posted:

America embraced the fact that we would be waging a nuclear war of survival and would need to stockpile 20 years worth of food in a hole to make it.

And you know what MOST OF IT IS STILL FINE according to steve 1989 eater of cancer destroyer of peanutbutter

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm often ground, formed, and sliced of a morning

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

I'm fairly certain that Steve1989 is only alive because he had Three Stooges Syndrome.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I didn't know that coleslaw was supposed to be savory though, but I guess I never eat it.

Both kinds are available. The savory kind is more of a vinegar heavy cabbage salad than the KFC style.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Grand Fromage posted:

Both kinds are available. The savory kind is more of a vinegar heavy cabbage salad than the KFC style.

That sounds so much better than creamy BS that is most of what I've seen. Is it sort of like sauerkraut?

He'll, I hate most anything with mayo in it, that stuff disgusts me.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sleepy.eyes posted:

He'll, I hate most anything with mayo in it, that stuff disgusts me.

Same. Mayo is possibly the only food worse than cilantro.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sleepy.eyes posted:

That sounds so much better than creamy BS that is most of what I've seen. Is it sort of like sauerkraut?

I wouldn't say it's like sauerkraut. It doesn't taste pickled and it's still crispy.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yeah, in the case of vinegar coleslaw, the vinegar is applied as a generous amount of dressing to fresh cabbage. It doesn't get a chance to really pickle and ferment.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Randaconda posted:

Same. Mayo is possibly the only food worse than cilantro.

The trick is to only use a little of it

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

my cat is norris posted:

Yeah, in the case of vinegar coleslaw, the vinegar is applied as a generous amount of dressing to fresh cabbage. It doesn't get a chance to really pickle and ferment.

Ya’ll need some Primanti Brothers in your mouthhole. Bread, meat, cheese, French fries, coleslaw, tomatoes, onions. Get some.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I live in Pittsburgh and no thank you! I'm not a Primanti fan. :(

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
In the subject of the 50s convenience food boom, I just finished reading Secret Ingredients by Sherrie Inness that has a good deal to say on the subject (and also talks about race, class, and gender's interactions with other areas of food culture and literature, like Chinese American restaurants, African American cookbooks, and "white trash" cooking).

If you can find a cheap copy or borrow it from a library, it's a good primer. I'm pretty sure it's out of physical print right now; at any rate, most copies, including ebooks, were pricy.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

If you can find a cheap copy or borrow it from a library, it's a good primer. I'm pretty sure it's out of physical print right now; at any rate, most copies, including ebooks, were pricy.

Worse; it's an academic work. The publisher is Palgrave Macmillan.
https://www.palgrave.com/us/book/9781403970084

...even just 2 years after release it was selling for $45.
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13675494080110010704?journalCode=ecsa

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's a very weird point in American culinary history where everything was all about canned goods for some reason. Some kind of combination of fresh foods unavailable and blind futurism thinking that the foods with all this new technology put into preserving them were better.

Not necessarily a lack of fresh food (unless you were somewhere like Alaska), but food was still very seasonal due to the lack of extensive and speedy transportation of frozen/refrigerated foods. Unless you were wealthy, you got foods that were local to your area and available in season. You couldn't just go to Walmart in Kansas and get a whole host of exotic tropical fruits. If you lived inland away from any rivers or lakes, you wouldn't eat much fish that wasn't canned.

And yes, canned food was basically the Food Of The Future (TM). It tasted pretty much like fresh food after it went through the hellish gauntlet that was 1950s cooking techniques and stayed good for months or years. Housewives loved the stuff (and advertisements told them as much) because they didn't need to prepare fresh ingredients, just dump cans in at the appropriate time. After the rationing of World War II, something like that was a godsend.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
It also saved a great deal of time, permitting home cooks (mainly women) to pursue other tasks and interests. Given that postwar, women were being pushed back out of the work world they'd been encouraged into (in essence making way for the return of the peacetime male workforce), this led to some interesting dynamics.

The modernization narrative played a big role as you said. Part of that was making "women's work" seem professional and rational/scientific, giving it more prestige. Part of the success of convenience foods -- which went beyond canned goods to instant mixes and powders at that time -- was also that it allowed women who hated to cook to do less of it and much more easily and in a socially acceptable way. For women who enjoyed cooking, convenience products let them get to the decorative part faster than, for example, making a cake from scratch.

The legacy of all the home economists, physicians, cookbook writers, and marketers who worked on recipes and techniques for personalizing convenience foods and making balanced meals from them is that a couple generations of Americans grew up eating this stuff and it left a permanent mark on how many of us think food should be. That naturally filtered into military cooking, which is a process that lends itself well to the adoption of mass produced, industrial foods anyway.

Now I feel bad for writing a lot of dumb :words: but there it is.

And mayo is good. All things in moderation, including moderation.

ulmont posted:

Worse; it's an academic work. The publisher is Palgrave Macmillan.
https://www.palgrave.com/us/book/9781403970084

...even just 2 years after release it was selling for $45.
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/13675494080110010704?journalCode=ecsa

Ugh! I managed to secure a used hardback for about $16 on Amazon, but even digital rentals were something like $60. Textbooks are a hateful industry.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Now I feel bad for writing a lot of dumb :words: but there it is.

Don't feel bad, this stuff's fascinating!

On topic with the conversation, but off topic on the subject of military food (sorry chitoryu!) --- funny how 50s/60s sci fi was all about the food pellets. As an example, one of the first Doctor Who episodes in 1963 had people marveling over a food replicator that dispensed cubes that taste just like bacon and eggs. Makes total sense, it was canned/processed foods taken to an extreme. What a wonderful future we had to look forward to! All the flavor and nutrition, but none of the work!

Instead, now it's "the future", and there's this whole trend towards organic, nonGMO, local, etc, foodstuffs. Food blogs sprouting like dandelions. A cult of celebrity chefs. Even goons who live on hot pockets are making fun of Soylent. Processed food = bad food, whereas that was the dream of the future back then.

Can anyone confirm/deny what I heard at one point: that Betty Crocker cake mixes used to not need an egg, but housewives of the post-war era felt like they weren't doing their house-wifely job just adding water, so Betty Crocker changed the formula to necessitate adding an egg? Just to make them feel like they were actually cooking something.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Can anyone confirm/deny what I heard at one point: that Betty Crocker cake mixes used to not need an egg, but housewives of the post-war era felt like they weren't doing their house-wifely job just adding water, so Betty Crocker changed the formula to necessitate adding an egg? Just to make them feel like they were actually cooking something.

Snopes thinks it's false:
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/something-eggstra/

Psychology Today and the BBC report it as true:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/inside-the-box/201401/creativity-lesson-betty-crocker
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20171027-the-magic-cakes-that-come-from-a-packet

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm pretty sure I recall that anecdote from the book From Those Wonderful Folks Who Gave You Pearl Harbor. Snopes doesn't completely discredit it, although they claim it wasn't a thing until cake mixes hit a slump later on and that other factors were more important. It is entirely possible that the people who came up with it genuinely believe that it worked out that way, but it was actually due to the other factors (fresh egg producing a slighlty better cake, fewer girls being inducted into the "you are a housewife or you are a failure" school of thought, better overall marketing) that Snopes mentions.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I haven't heard about the egg thing. There are mixes available even from Crocker which don't require them though, so I don't think that's the reason.

The backlash against processed and industrial foods is part of a larger reactionary shift between tradition and modernity, or whatever meaning society assigns those words at any given time. I'm writing an article with someone that touches on this topic, albeit briefly.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I could see a fresh egg making an actual difference, though. Cooking is art, baking is science, and protein chemistry is a hellish nightmare that you probably don’t feel like loving with.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I could see a fresh egg making an actual difference, though. Cooking is art, baking is science, and protein chemistry is a hellish nightmare that you probably don’t feel like loving with.

Alton Brown, the TV chef that advocates making nearly everything from scratch, recommends box cake mixes, because the chemistry required to get it just right is such a pain in the rear end when you’re making just a single cake.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

Alton Brown, the TV chef that advocates making nearly everything from scratch, recommends box cake mixes, because the chemistry required to get it just right is such a pain in the rear end when you’re making just a single cake.

Yep. Notice how a lot of Good Eats was about the chemistry of what he was making (especially the eggs episodes)? He knows not to gently caress with that.

I have been working masters degree in biochemistry and I think that kind of thing can be left alone in cooking.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

MrYenko posted:

Baking cakes is real loving easy tho

idgi

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The only bad thing I have to say about Alton Brown is that none of his recipes involving booze actually use enough booze. He puts like 2 shots of liquor in a whole batch of eggnog.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have made a fantastic discovery. 6 month old opened pack of Airborne tabs having been left in a hot truck still taste and act fine. I've left two more in there, will get back to you in another 6 months to see if those last. So if you need something tasty and vitaminy to keep around in case of drink emergency, Airborne works good. It's like instant vitamin soda!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Suspect Bucket posted:

I have made a fantastic discovery. 6 month old opened pack of Airborne tabs having been left in a hot truck still taste and act fine. I've left two more in there, will get back to you in another 6 months to see if those last. So if you need something tasty and vitaminy to keep around in case of drink emergency, Airborne works good. It's like instant vitamin soda!

Hmm makes me wonder what a special forces tab tastes like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Suspect Bucket posted:

Not like it's gonna be any less effective at preventing a cold, so if you like the taste good news I guess.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Hmm makes me wonder what a special forces tab tastes like.

Every guy in a bar claims to have drank special forces tabs but it turns out he just drank a cup of Coffee Instant back in JROTC

• Locked thread