Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Frostbite really loves to visit the digger. He pretty much beelines when a summoned guy gets picked up. No one seems to want to distract the boss, so I have been doing it every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Pre-game ritual at work.

E: The new rescue mission is insanely hard and insanely fun. Here's hoping they add more stuff like this in the future. :dance:

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
Dig 5 give you a hydroponics farm and the third base expansion. Bring lots and lots of guns with shock ammo. The fire zombies are back. And there are ice versions too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dig 6 is something like 26k offense points and they're all elemental wanderers.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
MP is quite fun. How do you get the blue circle items like Walker Gear?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Monolith. posted:

MP is quite fun. How do you get the blue circle items like Walker Gear?

Side missions give you the materials to build whatever it says you got, not the item. Walkers you get at the drill, in the tactical support menu.

Edit: Also the eternal reminder for everyone playing MP: Please place down your wormhole device. Everyone can teleport to any warp anywhere on the map by using the idroid so having a couple near the red areas/sideop areas and another one near the drill massively increases everyone's efficiency. You can place it down in rescue too, somewhere kind of close to the drill or near mortar spawns for example.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 14, 2018

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Det_no posted:

Side missions give you the materials to build whatever it says you got, not the item. Walkers you get at the drill, in the tactical support menu.

Where do they appear though? I ordered some once, then couldn't find them.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Depends on the map but they are always near the drill. In the mines they spawn on the second floor of the boat overlooking the drill, for example.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

To expand on this, I did a side mission to get a Gatling AA which I couldn't build. However I saw it on top of a wall overlooking a Wanderer path. Not sure if it appeared or someone built it.

Fneeb
Feb 13, 2012

Monolith. posted:

To expand on this, I did a side mission to get a Gatling AA which I couldn't build. However I saw it on top of a wall overlooking a Wanderer path. Not sure if it appeared or someone built it.

Assuming you did the side op and then dropped the materials back at the digger then they go into shared storage, so anyone that has the pattern could then build it.

I really want to play more multi, but the matchmaking is killing me. Do private matches (and using the discord) discriminate by region? Not sure what lag would be like if i'm UK and i'm connecting to US.

What's everyone's preferred subclass? I want to try the others but Scout is just so damned useful!

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Fneeb posted:

Assuming you did the side op and then dropped the materials back at the digger then they go into shared storage, so anyone that has the pattern could then build it.

I really want to play more multi, but the matchmaking is killing me. Do private matches (and using the discord) discriminate by region? Not sure what lag would be like if i'm UK and i'm connecting to US.

I think I got that from Tactical Support on the drill menu. The better question is can you only build the items if you have the design in single player?

Fneeb
Feb 13, 2012
There is an Interceptor spawn option in the digger menu as well yeah, that just spawns a bunch in a set pattern though I think, don't use it too often. The game chooses the sideops at random, you can only build what you already know but it's not necessarily going to give you stuff for that. I'm lucky in that I got the electric fence pattern as a multiplayer reward so there's not anything I can't build mid match now.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The automatic gatling turrets seem a bit odd. Fire a poo poo load of ammo but burn through it quickly. Is it worth having those over the grenade and regular turrets?

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
Maybe with the turret reload perk but I prefer the regular turrets. Fewer wasted shots. I got stunlocked between a gatling and the armored it was trying to shoot the other day.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, starting to notice the friendly fire. :v: seems to be an issue of burst damage versus more consistent DPS. Gatlings seem to chew up specials the normal guns take a bit of time with.

Also goddamn food production is through the roof. Half this stuff is turning into kitchen waste.

Fneeb
Feb 13, 2012
Welp, that's probably me done. Waiting for a base camp dig wave to trigger, timer hits 0 and disconnects me.. Log back in and half my base is destroyed :emo:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Aaagg, another epic shotgun.

I just want the tactical bow.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Fneeb posted:

Welp, that's probably me done. Waiting for a base camp dig wave to trigger, timer hits 0 and disconnects me.. Log back in and half my base is destroyed :emo:
Always have base defenders on.

Fneeb
Feb 13, 2012
Oh I did, numbers were all higher than the incoming waves too! Didn't help :( I've about rebuilt, had more saved up than I thought, but if it does this again tomorrow then I'm not going to be happy.. Always online single-player amirite?

Fneeb fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 14, 2018

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Always online is moronic and I honestly hope someone in the EU puts a stop to it, the same way they are going to handle lootboxes

Though it's a far harder sell than the obvious gambling :/

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I didn't get any loot for killing Big Mouth. :wtc:

E: oh gently caress you, I killed Frostbite and got the trophy, but was whacked by a wanderer and died, losing THAT loot as well.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 14, 2018

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

I didn't get any loot for killing Big Mouth. :wtc:

Big Mouth loot doesn't drop on him, drops way in the back of the enclave, I almost missed it myself.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Do the bosses ever respawn?

Not sure if it is worth the effort, but you can basically sprint through most of the dust-filled maps with sprint attacks using one-handed weapons, if you tap the attack key. You got it right when you use up about 200 stamina and let the charge animation launch you far ahead. Easier to do in clear terrain. You might have a use for those stamina foods.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 15, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In which I ask where the hell my team was.

Back Hack posted:

Big Mouth loot doesn't drop on him, drops way in the back of the enclave, I almost missed it myself.

Well poo poo. Anything good I may have lost?

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
High end purple weapons and gear. It's how I got my sniper.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

In which I ask where the hell my team was.

Well poo poo. Anything good I may have lost?

Purple Battle Dress armor.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I really wanna give the bow a fair shake but I just can't give up my poky-stick

Not getting a second back slot is criminal. At least I can carry an assault-rifle alongside my Machete, that I solely use for spiders/breaking boxes?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I really wanna give the bow a fair shake but I just can't give up my poky-stick

Bows can shoot an assortment of exploding, burning, freezing, shocking, and piercing poky-sticks.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Bows can shoot an assortment of exploding, burning, freezing, shocking, and piercing poky-sticks.
I just can't imagine abandoning my wife and side-chick, spear and fence

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
Shoot grenade arrows through the fence? Though if you've got the fence parked on grass or dirt flame arrows work better.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
When do multiplayer missions other than easy become available

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I just can't imagine abandoning my wife and side-chick, spear and fence

Use a wooden fence. The wire strands are horizontal, meaning you can attack through it with a two-hander.
Edit: Wooden Barbed Wire Fence I mean. Not the basic wooden fence.

Calaveron posted:

When do multiplayer missions other than easy become available

Level 25 and 35 I think?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Mar 15, 2018

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Why did they partition the matchmaking into dozen of separate regions instead of just having one central matchmaking system? They all but guaranteed that no one can connect with anyone unless they to do specifically. I'm starting to get serious flashback to multiplayer games in early 90s. :ughh:

E: Seriously, North America, United States (west), and United States (east) are all independent regions of each other instead of North America incorporating both US (w) and US (e).

E1: Especially considering they knew before hand they had burnt every bridge with the gaming community, this gaming was/is going to be nothing but an uphill battle. Makes sense to plan accordingly.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 15, 2018

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Back Hack posted:

Why did they partition the matchmaking into dozen of separate regions instead of just having one central matchmaking system? They all but guaranteed that no one can connect with anyone unless they to do specifically. I'm starting to get serious flashback to multiplayer games in early 90s. :ughh:

E: Seriously, North America, United States (west), and United States (east) are all independent regions of each other instead of North America incorporating both US (w) and US (e).

E1: Especially considering they knew before hand they had burnt every bridge with the gaming community, this gaming was/is going to be nothing but an uphill battle. Makes sense to plan accordingly.

I don't think anyone could have predicted that journalists would outright make up stuff about the game in their reviews. Yesterday I read one that said your base took damage if you weren't there during drill defense and that microtransactions were meant to stop that. Same with reviews that mention lootboxes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Back Hack posted:

This might explain why it takes me 30+ minutes to get a match. I've been using North America, Asia etc on the assumption that they covered broad areas.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I struggle altogether. Oceanic servers are a bust.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Det_no posted:

I don't think anyone could have predicted that journalists would outright make up stuff about the game in their reviews. Yesterday I read one that said your base took damage if you weren't there during drill defense and that microtransactions were meant to stop that. Same with reviews that mention lootboxes.

You can't blame all the issues on journalists making poo poo up there is plenty wrong with this game and it does have its obvious cash grabby problems.

Caros
May 14, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

You can't blame all the issues on journalists making poo poo up there is plenty wrong with this game and it does have its obvious cash grabby problems.

I don't think anyone is saying that the game is flawless, far from it in fact. But game reviewers clearly had it out for survive since release, either injecting their own biases against the game or pandering to people who are mad at Konami. Every major reviewer had some sort of "Ermagerd $10 save file" nonsense out within a few days, despite the fact that it isn't really accurate, and that they never raised a peep over the fact that TPP didn't even have the option for multiple save files. I've seen half a dozen youtube variations on "This game is so dumb, look at how I can stand on this box and stab zombies in the head on the first area" that absolutely scream "I played this game for 15 minutes to get my footage and then closed it down without ever advancing far enough to encounter a single unique wanderer.

Hell, the amount of reviewers bitching about how they kept getting lost in the mist is loving astonishing considering: A. The flags and compass both exist as a way to figure out where you are at any one time. B. That is the whole loving point, you are supposed to get turned around and have a hard time navigating, it is why they disable your loving map.

MGS is a solid B- game bumped up a little further by the fact that the Fox Engine is made of voodoo and part of Kojima's soul, along with the fact that the developers embrace the absurdity of it all with the game's campaign. For $40 it is way more fun than I've had from a lot of games I've paid $60 for, and it doesn't deserve to get poo poo on by people so eager to use it as a punching bag that they will out and out lie about game mechanics.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Caros posted:

Fox Engine

lots of my console friends have grabbed tpp after playing survive and knowing metal gear as that ps1 game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Caros posted:

I don't think anyone is saying that the game is flawless, far from it in fact. But game reviewers clearly had it out for survive since release, either injecting their own biases against the game or pandering to people who are mad at Konami. Every major reviewer had some sort of "Ermagerd $10 save file" nonsense out within a few days, despite the fact that it isn't really accurate, and that they never raised a peep over the fact that TPP didn't even have the option for multiple save files. I've seen half a dozen youtube variations on "This game is so dumb, look at how I can stand on this box and stab zombies in the head on the first area" that absolutely scream "I played this game for 15 minutes to get my footage and then closed it down without ever advancing far enough to encounter a single unique wanderer.

Hell, the amount of reviewers bitching about how they kept getting lost in the mist is loving astonishing considering: A. The flags and compass both exist as a way to figure out where you are at any one time. B. That is the whole loving point, you are supposed to get turned around and have a hard time navigating, it is why they disable your loving map.

MGS is a solid B- game bumped up a little further by the fact that the Fox Engine is made of voodoo and part of Kojima's soul, along with the fact that the developers embrace the absurdity of it all with the game's campaign. For $40 it is way more fun than I've had from a lot of games I've paid $60 for, and it doesn't deserve to get poo poo on by people so eager to use it as a punching bag that they will out and out lie about game mechanics.

At the very least the story is written in a far more coherent and condensed mgs story than usual and while the characters aren’t as bombastic they're still likeable and good

• Locked thread