Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

When I signed up for YouTube Red I did it through my iPad which set payments through my apple id. Now that I've got rid of all my apple devices, what's the easiest way to set up the payments to be made through Google so I can take advantage of using my Google Play balance? Would I just have to unsubscribe, then re-subscribe through Google?

If you have a Android phone or tablet, you can change payment methods inside the YouTube app. Tap on your account icon in the top right, then tap my YouTube red, then scroll to the bottom and pick update payment method. You can pick a credit card or your play balance there.

Don't know if that will work in your particular situation having previously paid via Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

stevewm posted:

If you have a Android phone or tablet, you can change payment methods inside the YouTube app. Tap on your account icon in the top right, then tap my YouTube red, then scroll to the bottom and pick update payment method. You can pick a credit card or your play balance there.

Don't know if that will work in your particular situation having previously paid via Apple.

Apparently paying through Apple requires different steps in order to switch. Basically I had to unsubscribe through iTunes, and then I'll have to resubscribe once my current sub ends. Also I had no idea Apple charges an additional 30% for subscriptions (I was paying $13 a month). Seriously, gently caress Apple!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

Apparently paying through Apple requires different steps in order to switch. Basically I had to unsubscribe through iTunes, and then I'll have to resubscribe once my current sub ends. Also I had no idea Apple charges an additional 30% for subscriptions (I was paying $13 a month). Seriously, gently caress Apple!

Any IAP through the App Store means a 30% to Apple. I thought they prohibited sellers from making things cheaper outside the App Store as it obviously is in this case but I guess not.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

BisterdDave posted:

Yeah, that's not Apple's fault. They take a 30% cut of all App Store sales (I believe Google's rate is the same), and Google decided to offload that onto Apple by charging an extra $3/mo. I thought they'd tried to put an end to that, too, buuuuuut ???

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Google prolly said they can stop charging the thirty percent most efficiently by not offering the youtube app through the store and apple said ok charge it

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

incogneato posted:

I'm looking at traveling overseas (vacation, not long term) and am considering grabbing a SIM card locally for data.

How does swapping a SIM like this affect apps like WhatsApp that rely on verification via mobile number? I don't really care if I can make calls or regular texts, as long as I can get data for things like whatsapp, email, etc.

I did some searching online, and it seems like it'll probably keep working, but the variety of responses is a bit worrisome. Has anyone ever done this sort of thing and know first hand if it works fine?

You'll be fine. It only needs to verify via SMS when it's setting up the account. After that's done, all you need is internet access.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

ringu0 posted:

I'm looking for a keyboard.

Instead of pushing up the contents of a screen when the input field happens to be down in the bottom, the keyboard needs to exist as a sort of a transparent overlay, allowing me to see through it while I type.

Does this exist, or I'm chasing unicorns over here?

Fleksy let's you make transparent keyboards but it pushes from the bottom, still.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Any IAP through the App Store means a 30% to Apple. I thought they prohibited sellers from making things cheaper outside the App Store as it obviously is in this case but I guess not.
Nah, things can be cheaper outside the App Store/in-app, they're just not allowed to link you to them. I'm sure Google has similar provisions.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I like Fenix a ton for Twitter but it eats data like a motherfucker. I've been using it today while my power is out and over a few hours of off and on use it's used over 300MB, which is silly for what should be mostly text. Anyone know if there are better mobile data options in Flamingo or a different app?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

flatluigi posted:

I like Fenix a ton for Twitter but it eats data like a motherfucker. I've been using it today while my power is out and over a few hours of off and on use it's used over 300MB, which is silly for what should be mostly text. Anyone know if there are better mobile data options in Flamingo or a different app?

300MB for "a few hours" of twitter usage is completely unsurprising. That represents easily hundreds of images and dozens of videos. I don't think you're going to find an app that limits that unless you can find one that has "don't download images at all" as an option, which... you won't.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I dunno, that does seem high to me if you've got your media settings (about the same in both as I recall) pretty conservative and you're not clicking through to videos and stuff. If I'm without home internet for a while I usually don't go over 1-200MB a day for plain stuff like Twitter, Awful, web and mail. Maybe y'all have busier timelines than me though?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What's a good app for resizing these huge animated gifs my phone will now export out of its moving pictures? If I want to drop them on twitter, etc.

I'd pay 5 bucks for something good with no BS

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Taffer posted:

300MB for "a few hours" of twitter usage is completely unsurprising. That represents easily hundreds of images and dozens of videos. I don't think you're going to find an app that limits that unless you can find one that has "don't download images at all" as an option, which... you won't.

I opened it maybe four times over the span of three hours and it used twice as much data as everything else I used in that time combined. That's a lot to me.

Fenix does have an option to disable loading media embeds and previews, but it's a toggle and not something that I can set to turn on automatically on mobile, which feels like an oversight.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Taffer posted:

the official Twitter Lite app does this. it works pretty great.

e: I can see that it wouldn't work for you now though

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gboard finally loving added email address suggestions!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Is Pocketcasts (in the op) still the recommended podcast manager/player?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

After Beyondpod released a total dog turd of an update, I switched to Pocketcast. At first, I was underwhelmed, but it took Beyondpod months to release an update (which was only half fixed). When they finally did, I realized I didn't miss the million little settings that Beyondpod offers, so now, after years, I'm a Pocketcasts fan.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Beyondpod til I die.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Beyondpod til I die.

I played with fire (joined the beta) and I got burned. My own fault.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

To me the primary selling point of Pocket Casts is the web player. That said, from what I've heard PC's support for paywalled podcasts is somewhat lacking and other apps handle them better. I've never had the problem so I can't comment on that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

TVsVeryOwn posted:

Beyondpod til I die.

They really did screw the pooch on that beta update. Then they got bought and haven't been heard from since.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

hooah posted:

They really did screw the pooch on that beta update. Then they got bought and haven't been heard from since.

Oh noooo, the worst of all possible outcomes. Who bought them?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
pocketcasts is fantastic and the web app is really good, it's easily the best podcast app I've used.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Most of my posts in this thread are about Podcast Addict and why it's super great. That will continue as appropriate

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

hooah posted:

What's wrong with BeyondPod? I the interface in the latest version is a little clunky, but it still seems decent to me. I don't do any customization though...

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

berzerkmonkey posted:

What's wrong with BeyondPod? I the interface in the latest version is a little clunky, but it still seems decent to me. I don't do any customization though...

I don't remember off the top of my head, but several standard features straight up didn't work. I think one of those was automatic downloading of new episodes. There was an Android Police article a month or so back a out their buyout: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/29/beyondpods-beta-release-completely-broken-months-new-owners-dont-seem-care/

hooah fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 15, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

hooah posted:

I don't remember off the top of my head, but several standard features straight up didn't work. I think one of those was automatic downloading of new episodes. There was an Android Police article a month or so back a out their buyout: https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/29/beyondpods-beta-release-completely-broken-months-new-owners-dont-seem-care/

Huh. I guess I'm not using the beta version? I'm on 4.2.16.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
I'm a grandpa on Podcast Addict, absolutely blown away by the fact I can set to skip the first 30 and last 30 seconds of specific podcasts (or any other number of seconds)

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I've been using PocketCasts for a really long time on my phone and sort of scoffed at the idea of using the web portal.

Why why did I do that!? It's pretty great. And the sync works really well between phone and site. I'm sold.

Even before that when I was just using the phone app it was really great. Add me that to the group of people recommending PocketCasts

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, one of the big issues with the hosed up beta was that the app would lock up after about 30sec of playing an episode and crash. One of the big things I look for in a podcast app is "can play a podcast", so this was a doozy of a dealbreaker. And they left it like this for months.

Podcast Addict is also very good and I said for a long time that it would be what I switched to if I ever moved away from BP. I actually installed it and Pocketcasts at the same time, but never took the time to get used to PA's interface, so I just stuck with PC

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

XIII posted:

Well, one of the big issues with the hosed up beta was that the app would lock up after about 30sec of playing an episode and crash. One of the big things I look for in a podcast app is "can play a podcast", so this was a doozy of a dealbreaker. And they left it like this for months.

Podcast Addict is also very good and I said for a long time that it would be what I switched to if I ever moved away from BP. I actually installed it and Pocketcasts at the same time, but never took the time to get used to PA's interface, so I just stuck with PC

Indeed and the official response on the forum for about 2? months was infrequent comments by one person who was saying "We're looking at it."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Sad Panda posted:

Indeed and the official response on the forum for about 2? months was infrequent comments by one person who was saying "We're looking at it."

Oh so they got bought by Google?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Oh so they got bought by Google?

It hasn't fragmented into twenty distinct podcast apps that each will only play one specific podcast, so no.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sad Panda posted:

I loved the month+ worth of "we have a new beta build, but are conducting internal testing. should be released in ~the coming weeks~." Yeah, since you cleeeeeeeeeearly tested the poo poo out of the broken build.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

XIII posted:

i once left a user review of podcast addict saying that i liked how many features it has but the user interface needed work. the guy who makes it posted an oblivious reply so i uninstalled it and bought pocket casts. maybe if i was still a teenager i would have stuck with it and learned all the ways to make it do exactly what i want, but $4 for fewer features seems like a bargain for an app that "just works" :v:

e: i don't mean that as an insult to the PA guy. i just took his response as a sign that he wasn't going to clean up the UI of his app any time soon

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 15, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Which of the many many Twitter apps features a timeline widget?
Earlier versions of Falcon had one, but the latest release seems to have dropped it.

The product descriptions in the Play Store for the thread title recommendations don't mention any widgets and I don't feel like spending money (albeit beer money) on different apps to find out if they come with a widget.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mcbexx posted:

Which of the many many Twitter apps features a timeline widget?
Earlier versions of Falcon had one, but the latest release seems to have dropped it.

The product descriptions in the Play Store for the thread title recommendations don't mention any widgets and I don't feel like spending money (albeit beer money) on different apps to find out if they come with a widget.

Just a widget that shows your timeline that you can scroll down without filters or anything? Flamingo has one, it's my primary method for browsing Twitter. I'd probably never look at Twitter if I had to open an app but if I'm bored I can just swipe right on my home screen and there's something to read!

I know Falcon had one in the beta E: I was wrong it was Fenix, I used it for a while side by side to see which I preferred but the layout of it just looked ugly. I'm surprised it was dropped out of the app altogether though.

I tried a few others here and there but I needed transparency and I needed the letters to have shadows for legibility so a bunch I installed, noped out, and uninstalled but there were a bunch that had one in some form or another.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 16, 2018

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't want to spend any money Plume is free and has a widget

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Anyone know of an assistant app that just launches the web browser or maybe even any other app the user chooses(no search or context based on screen content). I just want to turn the "hold home button for assistant" that I wouldn't otherwise be using into a launcher. It's like a 20 line app but I thought I'd check first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Obsurveyor posted:

Anyone know of an assistant app that just launches the web browser or maybe even any other app the user chooses(no search or context based on screen content). I just want to turn the "hold home button for assistant" that I wouldn't otherwise be using into a launcher. It's like a 20 line app but I thought I'd check first.

I used to use this app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/...gn%3DAndroidPIT

It's not an assistant app, it instead just lets you change all the single-press, double-press and hold actions for the buttons, so you could make a long press on home open your browser or any other app. Granted last phone I used it on, it had physical buttons for the ones I wanted to modify, but it's worth a try.