Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't know if they've fixed it yet, I haven't played in a week and a half or so, but there is/was a bug that you didn't even need to actually buy the perks, they were just treated as unlocked regardless.

You have to unlock the perks?! I thought that was a reroll option, goddamnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kiggles posted:

Nah. The maps are literally lifted straight out of TPP, so they barred off some passages. In Afghanistan they're just trash heaps blocking other parts of the map. In Africa the dust is extra heavy and lethal. For Africa I am guessing they're planning on drip feeding content some people have disabled the fog on PC and near those areas you can see flying schools of creatures flying around in the distance.

Of course, depends on whether or not the game Survives (pun) long enough for Konami to release whatever those content updates are.

Have any screenshots of those creatures?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Archonex posted:

Have any screenshots of those creatures?
There ya go
https://imgur.com/a/TPt7W

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Kiggles posted:

Nah. The maps are literally lifted straight out of TPP, so they barred off some passages. In Afghanistan they're just trash heaps blocking other parts of the map. In Africa the dust is extra heavy and lethal. For Africa I am guessing they're planning on drip feeding content some people have disabled the fog on PC and near those areas you can see flying schools of creatures flying around in the distance.

What part of the TPP map? Cause it looks more like they just copy-pasted small to medium sized chunks, instead of doing the whole map and removing the excess areas.

night slime
May 14, 2014
That's great they didn't just wall it off so I can walk into it by accident and get caught by a zombie and die pointlessly.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

What part of the TPP map? Cause it looks more like they just copy-pasted small to medium sized chunks, instead of doing the whole map and removing the excess areas.
It's straight up the TPP maps with some objects jiggered around here or there to help disguise it or bar access. The heavy fog goes a long way to hide things.

E: how do I bbcode link to a gifv? Thing is auto parsing into a full embed

gently caress it, here's the reddit link https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/83iq44/an_animated_overlay_of_the_maps_in_mgsvtpp_and/?st=jez7l016&sh=ec73a8c4

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 20, 2018

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Kiggles posted:

It's straight up the TPP maps with some objects jiggered around here or there to help disguise it or bar access. The heavy fog goes a long way to hide things.

gently caress it, here's the reddit link https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsolid/comments/83iq44/an_animated_overlay_of_the_maps_in_mgsvtpp_and/?st=jez7l016&sh=ec73a8c4

Holy poo poo, I forgot how huge Phantom Pain was :psyduck:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
https://m.imgur.com/r/gaming/4C1Ft

Patch notes. Extreme coming next week.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

poptart_fairy posted:

https://m.imgur.com/r/gaming/4C1Ft

Patch notes. Extreme coming next week.

Nice link.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kiggles posted:

Haha, oh wow, I thought I had some left of the map but nope; apparently that teleporty bit is the last

That is a mite sad

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Unreal_One posted:

Nice link.

:wtc:

I have no idea how to imgur on mobile. Let's just use a reddit link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsurvive/comments/85t4mx/detailed_patch_notes_20032018/

E; Motherfucking Trackers keep jumping into my electric fences, stopping the iron wall trophy. :mad:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 20, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That trophy apparently means any damage to a structure at all, since I put up a bunch of fences on top of my others and still didn't get that cheevo. SAM gave me that one.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, that's the problem. A single flying kick, even if theyre stunned, negates the bloody thing. :v:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The Big Mouth side mission is gone after I tried it and got stomped. How do you make it come back?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Monolith. posted:

The Big Mouth side mission is gone after I tried it and got stomped. How do you make it come back?

They will respawn at random after a time, much like wandering wormholes or other world side missions. Like those other missions their location is static, so as long as you know where to look and are keeping an eye out you won't miss them.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
This game got a lot of flak because of the name that was attached to it. Metal Gear is one of my favorite franchises and gently caress Konami for that whole ordeal but I don't really view this game through that lens.

Putting all the metal gear stuff aside, how is this game in terms of being a zombie survival game? Is it fun, or is it still bad?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Aha, amazing. Got a chest that has a high chance of not using ammo or arrows when firing. With arrows though the proc chance I'd high enough that I'm coming away with more ammunition than I started, because the free arrows can still be picked up. :buddy:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Knifegrab posted:

This game got a lot of flak because of the name that was attached to it. Metal Gear is one of my favorite franchises and gently caress Konami for that whole ordeal but I don't really view this game through that lens.

Putting all the metal gear stuff aside, how is this game in terms of being a zombie survival game? Is it fun, or is it still bad?
Its the best zombie survival game I’ve played.

Of course it’s the only zombie survival game I’ve played...

I did like it enough to finish the campaign and do a bit of post-game stuff, though. The core loop of venturing further out and finding new stuff to help you venture further out was very satisfying to me, and the defence stuff was always just tense enough to be very exciting but it never got so hard as to be frustrating. The difficulty seemed to be perfectly tuned to me. Except for the last base defence, that felt like a little bit of a cliff but I guess it was teaching me to be better prepared...

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

It's not a bad game by any means, especially nowhere near as bad as Youtube personalities are making it out to be, but it's not good game either. It's just an average. Still I've got my moneys worth from it and had plenty of fun once I started getting into it.

The Co-op is also a ton of fun if you can get a game going, but that's easier said than done.

night slime
May 14, 2014
I used the scout subclass hammer throw move on a tracker (it's the one where it looks like you're throwing them against the ropes in wrestling) and the thing went like 300 yards in the opposite direction doing its rollerblade walk. Great animation.

I like the game a lot, but I don't understand the business rationale behind making it a seperate game instead of DLC. PP has a huge install base and you'd get buys from people curious about it instead of just hearing crazy poo poo on youtube. Although I guess 2015 is a little old for DLC.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Are you supposed to get a drop if you defeat the flying pod man that sharts ice during the rescue mission co-op? He went down 3 times for me yesterday but I never got anything special. I didn't land the final blow during any of those fights though.

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016

titties posted:

Are you supposed to get a drop if you defeat the flying pod man that sharts ice during the rescue mission co-op? He went down 3 times for me yesterday but I never got anything special. I didn't land the final blow during any of those fights though.

It's worth a huge chunk of energy if you kill him. Makes it crazy easy to s rank the mission.

titties
May 10, 2012

I definitely noticed that. I did a few matches where he was dropped really quickly by higher-level players. I didn't know they were even fighting him and I was wondering what the cheat was to reach a rank before even doing the first extraction. It didn't click until I helped fight him and saw the meter fill up when he died.

I just thought he might drop some extra loot as well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He only drops loot as a world boss, sadly. He's just a massive source of IRIS in multiplayer. Snipe his yellow bit when it glows, then toss a molotov and unload your shotgun onto him when he falls over.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Killing the boss at the start of the match does make the rescues a bit easier. That said I've had some success in drawing the boss away from the carrier with the shotgun and then using Stealth Camo + Fox Walk to get away from it and back to the group.

Still don't really know how to do significant damage to Big Mouth though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Shoot him in the balls, or get him to swallow a barrel. I ha entirely quite mastered the art of baiting his chomp though.

titties
May 10, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

He only drops loot as a world boss, sadly. He's just a massive source of IRIS in multiplayer. Snipe his yellow bit when it glows, then toss a molotov and unload your shotgun onto him when he falls over.

I ran out of bullets and arrows really quickly so I spent most of the time hitting his dangly parts with a flaming bat when they were close enough.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The scaling on bosses is really silly. Scratch damage until hit 69 is absurd.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Finally beat the game. Shame they didn't do more with it, though I quite liked the ending twists: they were very Metal Gear, aside from maybe being a bit too sensible.

So after this, it's just base digs and possibly getting PS+ to do the online stuff? I constantly butt against the fact that I can't build enough poo poo in the base, does it ever let me do more? And if I have thousands more than needed, can I just leave it to play itself?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

gently caress you Dig Defense 6, you're pure bullshit! :argh:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Finally beat the game. Shame they didn't do more with it, though I quite liked the ending twists: they were very Metal Gear, aside from maybe being a bit too sensible.

So after this, it's just base digs and possibly getting PS+ to do the online stuff? I constantly butt against the fact that I can't build enough poo poo in the base, does it ever let me do more? And if I have thousands more than needed, can I just leave it to play itself?
The base digs give you more stuff to build.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The first base dig almost destroyed my base as I wasn't on when it happened. Be careful.

titties
May 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

The base digs give you more stuff to build.

I think what he's saying is that he's at capacity. I have only completed dig 1 and don't have the max allowable number of garden plots or tents built and I'm at 99.7% capacity. I can build like 1 more fence segment.

Does the build limit increase at all beyond the initial base expansion?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Even with all production buildings, storage facilities and tents i can manage a full ring of electric fencing, and around 30 gatling turrets. Are you getting rid of redundant buildings, like the basic workshops?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Even with all production buildings, storage facilities and tents i can manage a full ring of electric fencing, and around 30 gatling turrets. Are you getting rid of redundant buildings, like the basic workshops?
Yeah, replaced them ages ago; I think that it counts my lovely, old fences way too much, but it feels way too small honestly and that's after they supposedly boosted it

And you need to have the gunsmith/crapmaker at least so you can refill your molotovs/ammo on these things

Btw: gently caress base dig 2 and it's mortars way the gently caress away. If I hadn't randomly gotten a sniper in a crate I'd have been hosed

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They boosted it about four times now. It was rather hardcore to decide on either defense or base building only half your options. You should be able to fence everything well enough, because zombies move between spike barriers.

If you are going to use everything for post-game, the smoker, kiln, and kitchenette provides all the food options. I don't know about the Legendary structure from Plan 6, but you can dump the pot and campfire structures. Everything else is third tier crafting table and second tier first aid station. You don't even need all the water structures to stay in the black when you have B rank food and base development. The PITA medical building should also be good enough for medical supplies. Just never repair it, since it costs like 5 games of MP resources. Never skimp on the animal pens.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

They boosted it about four times now. It was rather hardcore to decide on either defense or base building only half your options. You should be able to fence everything well enough, because zombies move between spike barriers.

If you are going to use everything for post-game, the smoker, kiln, and kitchenette provides all the food options. I don't know about the Legendary structure from Plan 6, but you can dump the pot and campfire structures. Everything else is third tier crafting table and second tier first aid station. You don't even need all the water structures to stay in the black when you have B rank food and base development. The PITA medical building should also be good enough for medical supplies. Just never repair it, since it costs like 5 games of MP resources. Never skimp on the animal pens.

The legendary food prep facility from plan 6 lets you make foods out of the 1,000,000,000 sheep livers you have lying around. It only takes 20 onions per meal! (The foods from the legendary cookery are REALLY BAD unless you're trying to stack every obscure food buff in the game.)

It actually looks pretty dope though, it's a fully finished and furnished building just like the medical storage building.

titties
May 10, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, most of my space is taken up by a double row of perimeter fencing and additional fencing to section off the garden area, animal pens, living area, and base operations area. It looks better that way imo

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Honestly, I wish that you could build more, in different places.

Do what Fallout 4 shoulda done, only better, because hot diggidy heck if this game doesn't blow the pathetic base defenses in that way outta the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

titties posted:

Yeah, most of my space is taken up by a double row of perimeter fencing and additional fencing to section off the garden area, animal pens, living area, and base operations area. It looks better that way imo

Double fencing is probably overkill, but if you like the look of it I won't judge. :3:

I do wish we had more freedom in base design. I get that limits need to be in place to prevent everything being walled off by turrets, but it would be nice to accommodate aesthetics and defense with a reasonable "budget".

Incidentally I'm really itchy to get back into Phantom Pain. Can I still safely ignore the base invasion stuff?

• Locked thread