Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The boss is a prestige target in multiplayer. You're meant to sneak around him at low levels, but most pubbies aren't that coordinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, I keep comparing this game with FO4 and how it does survival so much better as well as partly base building. It's got a way better twist too.

But I'd really wish is that your grunts felt more like, you know, people, and less like things that are universally poo poo at everything you assign them until you slam them full of books or who occasionally wish to be plants.

Like, the "Send suckers to get you garbage" would be cool if you could actually equip them with stuff, if you might sometimes randomly meet them or get them outta trouble for extra resources.

And the base is weirdly irritating. Like, the walkway around the edge is completely useless; you can't place things on it and defending at the very edge is way too expensive on percentages. Why can't I place things on top of towers or buildings? Why can't I have some verticality there at least?

There's so many little things wrong with the base: You can't replace different animals or pick between them, so too bad if you caught a Wild Dog before getting Anubis, all you get is the meat! Management in general is an irritating pain and it's weirdly obtuse too; why not show ranks for your grunts? Why not have them naturally train?

Where the gently caress is the base defense report? How do I send dudes out to explore, like they mention in loading screens?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can answer a few of those:

Demolish and rebuild a cage to empty it. (note than canids include grey wolves, side-striped jackals, wild dogs, and anubis).
Send people out to explore using the Exploration Team Ready Room, once you have it. This returns a small amount of materials.
Base Defence Reports don't become a thing until the postgame. Once you've done a postgame base dig you can view the report for it at the wormhole digger.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I would love for the base to be more active. Everyone loafing around in the dust is boring.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

I can answer a few of those:

Demolish and rebuild a cage to empty it. (note than canids include grey wolves, side-striped jackals, wild dogs, and anubis).
Send people out to explore using the Exploration Team Ready Room, once you have it. This returns a small amount of materials.
Base Defence Reports don't become a thing until the postgame. Once you've done a postgame base dig you can view the report for it at the wormhole digger.
Exploration Team ready Room? Is this seperate from the one for getting trash in way too small quantities one?

And I am already at post game: I just don't know where to view them. Also I thought I could just have the stupid digs trigger and then later get the stuff? Do I have to do the first dig to make it work or what?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The co-op in this is way more fun than it should be.

Got a match with one other dude who was like 40-some to my 18 basic rear end guy, he's running around in heavy armor with a real gun and weapons, I'm wearing a balaclava, shirtless, with a knife on the end of a pipe and a pistol. :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
View Battle reports at the digger. It's not as clear as it should be.

And yeah, game loses a bit of charm when you're using real, properly made items.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Its kinda a waste to do the coop stuff before you're level 30 at least, honestly.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Extra bodies never hurt at least. Although due to an excess of firing units I can keep five separate lanes locked down, so maybe I'm not in the best position to talk about balance. :v:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Exploration Team ready Room? Is this seperate from the one for getting trash in way too small quantities one?
No, that’s it, but if you send them to locations with red foot icons they uncover that part of the map but the “difficulty” is higher.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of which I'm working on clearing the entire map, and good goddamn some of these border squares are a pain in the dick. :shepicide:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Akuma posted:

No, that’s it, but if you send them to locations with red foot icons they uncover that part of the map but the “difficulty” is higher.

but

that doesn't reveal the map AT ALL

it in fact goes up to 15% chance of getting hosed if you haven't explored some tiny loving bit of it (looking at you copper!)

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Deceitful Penguin posted:

but

that doesn't reveal the map AT ALL

it in fact goes up to 15% chance of getting hosed if you haven't explored some tiny loving bit of it (looking at you copper!)
It uncovers that tiny square of the map when they complete the mission, though?

Edit: I've uninstalled the game now but I'm pretty sure the game explains this?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Lol, some idiot gently caress called SSniper94 just spent an entire match bitching about my turrets, about my traps, about how buying tactical support effects rewards (it doesn't), and how my bow was useless.

Group spammed "be quiet" at him, and we started hammer throwing bombers into his traps. :buddy:

Dickhead came second to me by 3k points, and was barely over the scores of our level 50 buddies. Can't loving stand toxic idiots like that. We still A ranked, quit bitching.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That sounds like one of those trolls who play to poo poo on everyone's games since release. He got called out in the steam forum. A real Kojima fanboi.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Meanwhile, I FINALLY FOUND A RECIPE TO MAKE .44 MAGNUM ROUNDS. Now I just need Animal Leather for the corresponding ammo pouch. And maybe consider a better chest armor that could have more ammo pouches?

Story-wise, I got to the part where everyone's skeptical of Seth now, since oh hey Dan's actually pretty sane after all huh. Is the Sahelanthropus just Metal Gear Rex or Ray? It looks to be like A metal gear.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It was the first 'metal gear', developed by Otacon's dad and playing a major role in The Phantom Pain.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

It was the first 'metal gear', developed by Otacon's dad and playing a major role in The Phantom Pain.

Ohhhh, I get it now. Is it the same first metal gear that that one kid hijacked that you were supposed to fight? If so, holy poo poo Konami straight referencing the cut content. It actually kinda kicks rear end if it really is the same metal gear.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I mean, It's not from the cut content, it's just from TPP. You fight it during the course of the main game. Did, uh, you play TPP?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

No but it was considered because of how neato the gameplay seemed.

Nothing like being this big ol' leader of a mercenary doing dumb and sick poo poo in Afghanistan and Africa.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Play it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

Ummmm are you forgetting Peace Walker? :D

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Scalding Coffee posted:

That sounds like one of those trolls who play to poo poo on everyone's games since release. He got called out in the steam forum. A real Kojima fanboi.

Wait, the guy I was specifically talking about? I'm on PS4. :v:

Also slowly eating my way around the dust. Just a few more recipes to go...

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Had a blast playing some co-op with a couple guys way above my level. This game really seems like it should be more popular, a shame the knives were out against it before people ever gave it a try. Maybe a slower paced battle royale multiplayer mode would give the online community a kickstart?

Akuma posted:

Ummmm are you forgetting Peace Walker? :D

RAXA :colbert:

kecske fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 27, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The big reveal with Sahelanthropus being in Africa is in line with the cut mission 51 of The Phantom Pain though, since that's where it ends up in the planned 'real' ending for the game, which I thought was pretty funny.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CJacobs posted:

The big reveal with Sahelanthropus being in Africa is in line with the cut mission 51 of The Phantom Pain though, since that's where it ends up in the planned 'real' ending for the game, which I thought was pretty funny.
Oh, yeah. That’s pretty good!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's sitting in a similar looking basin of water, too. Different spot on the map though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
A lot of the map tweaks are pretty clever. I like how your base is where Skull Face's used to be. :v:

I do hope the game is expanded and kept going. Would be a shame to lose it early.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Rewards for S rank improved (quite substantially, it seems), cosmetic rewards added to base digs, and a bunch of free stuff due to the server issues.

https://www.reddit.com/r/metalgearsurvive/comments/87gyd8/notes_n_such/

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So everyone gets a load of legendaries? Nice, I’ll reinstall for that!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

gently caress me, 7 Legendaries from one S rank.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 27, 2018

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It looks like they unlocked the next tier of recruits as well.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I got a couple giving me Positive Results.

Exploration team is still an execution chamber, mind.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

gently caress me, 7 Legendaries from one S rank.

I see the words Portable Pile Driver and I want to just inject all the Kubans in the world so that I can take a crack at Hard Mode.

Also as an aside, did they buff those Kuban crystal formations? I felt like I was getting more out of one crystal.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think they have. Lot of little buffs all over. And if it's even consolation there's a slightly more common "drill spear" which is literally a drill taped onto the end of a pointy stick. :v:

Also, this game allows me to indulge my prepper cosplay fetish:

I've seen a couple of people using other parts of the ghillie suit. I want a full one, dammit.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Grenade arrows and their specific quiver eh, welp, time to go full rambo. :black101:

zeroskippy
Apr 10, 2016
Got the geist and a rpa quiver today, I guess I should start leveling Jager.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

poptart_fairy posted:

I think they have. Lot of little buffs all over. And if it's even consolation there's a slightly more common "drill spear" which is literally a drill taped onto the end of a pointy stick. :v:

Also, this game allows me to indulge my prepper cosplay fetish:

I've seen a couple of people using other parts of the ghillie suit. I want a full one, dammit.
The ghillie suit (Lower) has an ammo slot. It is awesome.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Gillie suit chest has three ammo slots, one small for anything, one large (that might be anything might be secondary only), and one small for sniper bullets only. It's ok. Good perks matter more on your purple gear than anything else, because they're otherwise so close in performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My Ghillie upper has only two ammo pouches, neither large.

• Locked thread