Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I don't know for sure about any of the specific shows mentioned, but the reason some of HBO's earlier shows are missing is generally because they don't actually own them. It wasn't until around the time of The Sopranos that HBO started to ensure they had full ownership of all their original series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't know for sure about any of the specific shows mentioned, but the reason some of HBO's earlier shows are missing is generally because they don't actually own them. It wasn't until around the time of The Sopranos that HBO started to ensure they had full ownership of all their original series.

In Mr.Show's case they do own the rights. They didn't treat the show well when it was still on the air either, they pre-empted new episodes for HBO'S Real Sex a few times and then questioned why ratings weren't great.

I don't care what you think of a show, if you pre-empt new episodes for other programming, and still expect great ratings, especially for late night sketch comedy on pay cable, you are a loving idiot.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

tv execs being moronic parasites?

nah, no way

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr. Show was really another HBO entirely. Same as those other early programming shows named. It was before they established that Sunday night slot or even that they could make originally dramatic programming. Mr. Show and Tenacious D and Dream On were shoved into slots with Real Sex because that's all HBO had outside movies and maybe some documentaries (and I don't think they had really established that either yet). It was a different world.

Weirdly I still managed to watch Mr. Show and Tenacious D and Dream On and Arliss. I have no idea how with no DVR and relying on the accuracy of TV Guide and the program guide channel. A different world.

My actual memory is that Dream On uses a ton of footage from old movies and shows so I imagine that's probably a rights disaster for HBO Go. And Arliss has all those athletes and celebrity cameos so maybe there's a problem there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Open Marriage Night posted:

I was surprised to find out it was like the first or second episode of the show.

Huh. Looked it up and it checks out. Weird that that's the first appearance by the Justice Friends.

Also, Justice Friends really is a cartoon concept that would have worked out better 20 years later.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Clips from old movies and TV shows used to be WAY easier to get (Steven Spielberg once joked that he feared seeing scenes from Close Encounters show up on, I think, Cagney & Lacey)- that's also the reason the MST3K movie Space Mutiny has all its effects footage taken from Battlestar Galactica, it was just cheaper to buy that from Universal than do anything new.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Off the top of your head, what's Natalya's best match?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Off the top of your head, what's Natalya's best match?
any one of like 4 vs Charlotte, those two have great chemistry

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

any one of like 4 vs Charlotte, those two have great chemistry

A Flair and a Hart having good matches with one another? :monocle:

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Yeah, considering Ric and Bret's matches were all pretty poo poo.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
This is kind of related to me rewatching WCW and being surprised at how little Nash and Hall even did at the height of the nWo. What do you think is the best match that Scott Hall was ever involved in during his career that DIDN'T involve a ladder?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

His match with Bret at the '93 Rumble is pretty good

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

Yeah, considering Ric and Bret's matches were all pretty poo poo.

Their match at Souled Out 98 is really good.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MassRafTer posted:

Their match at Souled Out 98 is really good.

I never sat through it, but they worked an Iron Man match at a house show that's supposed to be good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3wzWnNIZIE

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has anybody ever used a "backbreaker submission" as a finisher? I've seen it on occasion in random matches and always thought it looked painful as hell. Yet it's never really treated as anything serious.

But I mean, you're driving somebody's back down into your knee and then bending them over your knee while drilling it up into their back. Or so the appearance goes. It just looks really good to me. I'd give up in no time to that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

Has anybody ever used a "backbreaker submission" as a finisher? I've seen it on occasion in random matches and always thought it looked painful as hell. Yet it's never really treated as anything serious.

But I mean, you're driving somebody's back down into your knee and then bending them over your knee while drilling it up into their back. Or so the appearance goes. It just looks really good to me. I'd give up in no time to that.

hello have you heard of the Torture Rack aka the move that always get cheered

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

exploded mummy posted:

hello have you heard of the Torture Rack aka the move that always get cheered

Is that true for Ezekiel Jackson though?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Hoss Corncave posted:

Is that true for Ezekiel Jackson though?

the most perfect move and the most boring dude cancel each other out

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

Never saw the Souled Out 98' match, but it has to be better than any of their WWF matches.
Although they still had real-life heat at that point, they were both being held down by Hogan and WCW so I can imagine they could put personal animosity aside and try to steal the show.

Tato posted:

This is kind of related to me rewatching WCW and being surprised at how little Nash and Hall even did at the height of the nWo. What do you think is the best match that Scott Hall was ever involved in during his career that DIDN'T involve a ladder?

There's a Clique tag team match from Fall 1994 (Shawn and Nash vs. Hall and Kid) that was taped for WWF Action Zone that Meltzer gave 4.5* to.
I vaguely remember watching it back then, but don't recall too much of it otherwise, although you might find it worthwhile to track down and see if it holds up.

EDIT: Surprisingly easy to find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dud9ty6TUdE

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Which WrestleMania was it that had the horse fall through the stage and whose entrance was it for? HHH or Taker, or someone else?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

flashy_mcflash posted:

Which WrestleMania was it that had the horse fall through the stage and whose entrance was it for? HHH or Taker, or someone else?

I had never heard of that, but I do recall shots of the vulture freaking out during Taker’s Wrestlemania IX entrance because they tied the poor thing’s feet to the perch.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think it was going to be Bradshaw, maybe for his match vs Rey at 25?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

Triple H was supposed to come out on a horse at Mania 27 but during rehearsals it fell down the trapdoor that Taker's casket rose out of. They apparently had to spend hours dismantling the entire stage to get it out and nearly had to euthanize it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

OctoberCountry posted:

Triple H was supposed to come out on a horse at Mania 27 but during rehearsals it fell down the trapdoor that Taker's casket rose out of. They apparently had to spend hours dismantling the entire stage to get it out and nearly had to euthanize it.

That's the one, thanks! Where's the WWE 24 about that horse??

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's the one, thanks! Where's the WWE 24 about that horse??

Do you really want to see a WWE 24 about a pack of jujubes?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm sure a lot of you guys remember Zack Gowen, the one-legged kid who wrestled on Smackdown for a while. I remember seeing on these forums that they apparently hired the wrong one-legged wrestler when they brought him in. So, who was it they meant to hire? I've never heard a name and I'd love to see how much better than Gowen he was.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Are there any good books or interviews that go over r "the economics" of ECW?

Like, it's practically a running gag I've heard in interviews with Heyman that he owed all his stars money. People on here have also talked about Paul being awful with money. The whole thing sounds interesting to me and I'd like to hear actual details.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Q_res posted:

I'm sure a lot of you guys remember Zack Gowen, the one-legged kid who wrestled on Smackdown for a while. I remember seeing on these forums that they apparently hired the wrong one-legged wrestler when they brought him in. So, who was it they meant to hire? I've never heard a name and I'd love to see how much better than Gowen he was.

If I remember right, I think Ace was supposed to hire Gowan but hired the wrong one-legged wrestler, then had to fire him (with a payout?) and THEN hire Zack?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Q_res posted:

quote:

One big story that indirectly involves Zach is the famous tale of John "Johnny Ace" Laurinaitis signing the wrong one-legged wrestler to a WWE contract. Ripe for parody, this story is something that JG had wanted to ask Gowen about since it happened. During this week's 31 minute uncut Club shoot, he did. Zach answered:

"I guess the story is that, from what I hear - please don't take this as Gospel because I've never heard from either of these two gentlemen - but, I guess Jim Ross heard about me and told Johnny Ace to sign the one legged wrestler. So Johnny Ace called Steve Keirn, who ran a school down in Florida and Steve Keirn said, "Yeah I've got a one legged wrestler here." So they signed that guy. Steve Chamberland‚ - thinking he was me. I think they signed him when I was actually on TNA on a live pay-per-view. So he goes back to the office and Johnny Ace goes, "Yo. I signed the one legged guy." But I was actually on TV at the time. How he got the wrong one legged guy, I'm not sure because that guy's like 6'3, 275."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

quote:

because that guy's like 6'3, 275."

I think I figured out how Ace made that mistake!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jerusalem posted:

I think I figured out how Ace made that mistake!

seriously, do a google image search for him. He looks kinda like a nice Scott Steiner.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Six 3 and 275, even missing a leg. He must have been a wall of muscle.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What was the story with Gowen anyway? It's not often you see a one-legged man who can do moonsaults and stuff. Was he prone to injury? Liable to have the dreaded Attitude Problems(TM)? Or did the "gimmick" (which feels like a really shallow way of putting it but for the purposes of this discussion bear with me) just run its course too quickly? He was heavily featured in a main storyline, lost to Vince on PPV, then didn't seem to do much else.

That said, Brock repeatedly F5ing his one remaining leg into the ring post as his mother looked on with tears in her eyes is one of my first "this is actually quite scary/disturbing" wrestling moments.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What was the story with Gowen anyway? It's not often you see a one-legged man who can do moonsaults and stuff. Was he prone to injury? Liable to have the dreaded Attitude Problems(TM)? Or did the "gimmick" (which feels like a really shallow way of putting it but for the purposes of this discussion bear with me) just run its course too quickly? He was heavily featured in a main storyline, lost to Vince on PPV, then didn't seem to do much else.

That said, Brock repeatedly F5ing his one remaining leg into the ring post as his mother looked on with tears in her eyes is one of my first "this is actually quite scary/disturbing" wrestling moments.

I remember he had a poor attitude, or hearing he did.

I'd also imagine the hips and leg weren't in great state if he's doing moonsaults and absorbing it with half the standard issue of legs.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Von Linus posted:

I remember he had a poor attitude, or hearing he did.

I'd also imagine the hips and leg weren't in great state if he's doing moonsaults and absorbing it with half the standard issue of legs.

Not for nothing but....dude lost his leg at a young age, can you blame him for having an attitude? If I lose so much as my laundry quarters, I'm a prick for days.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Gowan developed a pretty serious drug habit too.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Gowan developed a pretty serious drug habit too.

Not for nothing but....dude lost his leg at a young age, can you blame him for developing a serious drug habit? If I lose so much as my laundry quarters, I'm re-enacting Trainspotting in real time.

I jest but seriously sobriety is good.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fart blood posted:

Not for nothing but....dude lost his leg at a young age, can you blame him for developing a serious drug habit? If I lose so much as my laundry quarters, I'm re-enacting Trainspotting in real time.

I jest but seriously sobriety is good.

What do his toes read

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

What do his toes read

"Drugs"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

I've heard that Gowen was such a massive, entitled, and egotistical prick that he was pretty much universally reviled by everyone.

Which is something that you wouldn't think was possible for someone with his condition, but apparently he was basically every worst fratboy stereotype incarnate, just with one missing leg.