Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Lol I'm trying to sell my old desktop since I don't think use it really; i7-4790k, 16gb ram, case, 600w sfx psu, 250gb 850 Evo and some guy is positively apoplexic that I'm not selling it to him for 350 bucks...

Hold out lol, that's loving worth more than 350

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

4790k $200
DDR3 $100
Rando case/psu/ssd $100

$350 isn’t unreasonable :shrug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That SFX 600W PSU isn't cheap, assuming it's the Corsair one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Yeah, it's a full complete system; 500 was my asking price lmao

What's the case?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That SFX 600W PSU isn't cheap, assuming it's the Corsair one.

Yeah exactly that. The case is that Corsair mini it one that's gigantic but has a horizontal orientation and plenty of aio mount points. The way I see it is:
I7 - 200
Mobo - 100
Ram - 100
SSD - 50
Case - 50
PSU - 75

So closer to 600, but meh.

If I parted it out completely I could easily get 250 for the CPU and over 200 for the Mobo at least

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Apple has "gently caress you" money, but they'd have to invest about *half* of it to set up their own fab(s). It'd be one hell of an investment, and the only way it'd be profitable is if they became another TSMC and subcontracted them out or made DRAM/NAND for the general market. I can see their angle - right now whenever you buy an iPhone or Apple desktop or laptop, Samsung gets paid - it'd stand to reason they'd like to change that.
Comedy option: Apple buys Intel.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If I parted it out completely I could easily get 250 for the CPU and over 200 for the Mobo at least

You're probably best parting it out honestly. I never really had any luck buying or selling used desktops.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tell him you're parting it out, and link him to the individual listings for the components, that will cost him more.

Please post his reaction.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeah exactly that. The case is that Corsair mini it one that's gigantic but has a horizontal orientation and plenty of aio mount points. The way I see it is:
I7 - 200
Mobo - 70
Ram - 80
SSD - 75
Case - 50
PSU - 75

I'd see it more like this. That mobo is the most depreciated part, compared to features now available.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

craig588 posted:

350 is on the low end, and it's not worth it if the guy is weird. I'd start at 500, assuming there's a motherboard included too. If you're not including a motherboard then 350 is reasonable because you can't see it all work beforehand.

Yeah, it's a full complete system; 500 was my asking price lmao

incoherent posted:

That setup is easily a 2-3 video card lifecycle.

Motherboard included sure, I'm not loving telepathic.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I can see parting it out will leave the case + psu unbought, unless it's cheap as hell tbh.

mewse
May 2, 2006

If it's mini-itx mobo + case they are more valuable than (m)atx

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm just going off of eBay sold listings :shrug:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I can see parting it out will leave the case + psu unbought, unless it's cheap as hell tbh.

eh they'll sell, but you're right probably not for much. likely to get a dece amount for the motherboard (at least from my experience), it's a component that is always the first thing that always seems to loving break a few years in, then people are left with a computer that has perfectly good specs but for which they have to hunt on ebay for a replacement mainboard since no one makes one with that socket anymore. it's almost as if intel changing the socket every loving generation is actually really wasteful

it's a weird situation tbf - reminds me of trying to buy a wiimote and finding that it's oftentimes cheaper to just buy a wii, with a wiimote, on ebay since no one actually wants the console itself to the point where it's actually a net negative value

will add my voice to the chorus screaming 'part it out' also. i'm always tempted to just sell the whole system because i think it'll be less work, but it's actually easier just to pack and ship smaller parts individually than worrying about whether this heavy metal box with valuable electronics inside is going to get hosed up by the postman. depending on where you live you could probably just collection-only the case since you're prob not going to get much money for it anyway

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 6, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mewse posted:

If it's mini-itx mobo + case they are more valuable than (m)atx

Is that really true? I have a mini-itx desktop (i5 4690k and a mobo that pairs with the 'k' variant) that I'm pretty sure the GPU is dead because it runs fine on the integrated GPU but if I plug a monitor into the GTX 970 the computer just keeps crashing and rebooting. I don't really have much use for a desktop anymore but I also thought that the cpu being like 4 generations old would be worthless by now.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is that really true? I have a mini-itx desktop (i5 4690k and a mobo that pairs with the 'k' variant) that I'm pretty sure the GPU is dead because it runs fine on the integrated GPU but if I plug a monitor into the GTX 970 the computer just keeps crashing and rebooting. I don't really have much use for a desktop anymore but I also thought that the cpu being like 4 generations old would be worthless by now.

if the socket is more than a few generations old it's really loving difficult to find a replacement ITX motherboard tbf - probably a combination of ITX naturally being less popular then than it is now so fewer were made, and also the cases being more likely to be inadequately cooled so they break sooner (not to mention the likelihood of less robust circuitry, i know it's way more difficult to find an itx motherboard with a decent vrm solution as opposed to atx). pure conjecture ofc but they are kind of difficult to find and hence fetch a dece price. cases probably less so but you are dealing with fewer itx cases being on the market still, so they might deprecate less idk

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
There is a vast ocean of garbage-tier ATX and mATX boards that provide a relief valve for people looking for cheap parts and drive a thriving market in cases/PSUs/etc.

In contrast, mITX builds have substantially smaller sales volume, and often have compatibility issues that necessitate specific combinations of parts (cooler height, SFX or short PSUs, etc).

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The better z68 and z77 boards still sell for $$ on Ebay. Also 2600K and 3770K chips still fetch ~$120-130, which is crazy.

You can also convince people that it's a good choice to go with these used parts by emphasizing just how (relatively) cheap used DDR3 is versus new DDR4.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

bobfather posted:

The better z68 and z77 boards still sell for $$ on Ebay. Also 2600K and 3770K chips still fetch ~$120-130, which is crazy.

I put my old 2500K on eBay not long ago and ended up getting £96/$135 for it :prepop:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

bobfather posted:

You can also convince people that it's a good choice to go with these used parts by emphasizing just how (relatively) cheap used DDR3 is versus new DDR4.

Yeah, I sometimes wonder how much I could still sell my system for, especially considering the guaranteed OC from this combo of parts. Insane to me that a desktop system from 2011 is still performant today for everything I need. 2600K + P8P67 PRO + 32GB RAM.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh dear, new rumors about Intel dGPUs.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sounds like a power supply problem but yeah your rig is likely more valuable because it's itx

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

mewse posted:

Sounds like a power supply problem but yeah your rig is likely more valuable because it's itx

Is there a way to diagnose that, and if not is it harmful to keep using the psu? I can't recall the psu I have but I remember shelling out for a fully modular gold+ power supply.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to diagnose that, and if not is it harmful to keep using the psu? I can't recall the psu I have but I remember shelling out for a fully modular gold+ power supply.

Do you remember how many watts?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mewse posted:

Do you remember how many watts?

550W

That product page does say 7 year warranty though, so that’s something I can look into.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I think I ran an equivalent i5 + 970 on that wattage for a year or two.. you might be right that it's your video card but it would be worth testing the system with a 600W or higher (just plug it into the headers while resting outside the case).

Or bring the video card to a repair shop and ask them if they'll test whether it's dead. The fee should be minimal and a 970 is still worth $$$$ with the graphics card market all hosed up by crypto

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bobfather posted:

It's not that crazy given the 2600k and 3770k out perform the current gen ryzens, even overclocked, and matches or exceeds non-k intel chips (not overclocked) in gaming and other single thread limited tasks. Of course, they get smoked in workstation and productivity related stuff. I definitely wouldn't buy one over an r5 1600 or 1600x right now. The RAM savings are kinda nice on an extreme budget, DDR3 wasn't hit with price fixing.

With z77 you can bios hack m2 support as well, but there's no real point because SATA ssds are pretty much identical in real world performance and cost way less.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 6, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bought a NVME drive because I had to know, but now that I know I'd get a SATA drive for a normal desktop. 3.5GB/s transfers are fun to benchmark, but there's virtually no difference in 500MB/s SATA transfers for a computer just playing games.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Generic Monk posted:

if the socket is more than a few generations old it's really loving difficult to find a replacement ITX motherboard tbf

It's true. I bought a replacement board for my 6600k, and it was cheaper to get ATX and an ATX case then a z170 itx board on its own.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004

craig588 posted:

I bought a NVME drive because I had to know, but now that I know I'd get a SATA drive for a normal desktop. 3.5GB/s transfers are fun to benchmark, but there's virtually no difference in 500MB/s SATA transfers for a computer just playing games.

Thanks man, you just saved me some hard-earned money.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sell me your computer, I'll give you butt coin :yosbutt:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh dear, new rumors about Intel dGPUs.

Intel and AMD soc gpus? Or...?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Raja Whatshisname, now obviously at Intel, seems to have a plan to release discrete gaming GPUs. By 2020, anyway.

Wccftech and so on, but everyone's yapping the same thing.

https://wccftech.com/intel-gpu-arctic-sound-gaming-variant/

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 7, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
If Intel delivers 8-cores that can hit 5+ GHz this year I'm thinking pretty seriously about a high-tier Z390 board to replace my 5820K.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ya, it could be quite a monster and an ideal target to direct die cool.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Ya, it could be quite a monster and an ideal target to direct die cool.

There are already die shims that allow you to do this with a regular AIO waterblock BTW.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Z97-XPOWER-AC-CPU-Open-Cover-Protector-Delid-Die-Guard-For-LGA115X-Series-CPU/32621328449.html

I suppose I might not even be interested without a delidded processor, tbh. The heat off that is going to be intense with Intel's toothpaste. gently caress them for not going with solder here. If they don't have the performance, it's not even worth it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

If Intel delivers 8-cores that can hit 5+ GHz this year I'm thinking pretty seriously about a high-tier Z390 board to replace my 5820K.
I'd still need one of these on the HEDT socket instead.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

8 @ 4.5+ is what I’ve been holding out for. C’mon already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

8 @ 4.5+ is what I’ve been holding out for. C’mon already.
Would you like a cut in IPC below ring-bus Intel cores and worse inter-cache performance?

If so, then Skylake-X is for you!