Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/980996140068847616

get ready for a VR version of that one wii spinoff or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I always get stuck partway through DQ3 when you're free to explore everything. I know I'm grabbing these orbs but it's difficult to keep track of all the threads.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

psychoJ posted:

VR is still in "rich people" territory for me but the concept seems super neat and I wish there were better console options because trying to build a VR capable machine is stupid expensive. Does Sony have any working VR with the PS4 yet?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Vakal posted:

I still have the poster that came with my copy of Dragon Warrior 1.

As a kid I thought it was the coolest thing ever, but in retrospect it is a really weird design for a dragon that has no relation to anything in the actual game.

Back in the NES era, the in thing was to make renditions of Japanese box art that looked less anime and more lovely. Here's the original Dragon Quest box art, for instance.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

psychoJ posted:

"Dragon Quest VR" will begin operation at VR Zone Shinjuku on the 27th of April. Become a warrior, priest, or wizard and face off against the mighty Zoma!

Guess it's based on DQ3 whatever it is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

psychoJ posted:

Was that Wii game any good? I always wanted to try it.

g0lbez posted:

VR is still in "rich people" territory for me but the concept seems super neat and I wish there were better console options because trying to build a VR capable machine is stupid expensive. Does Sony have any working VR with the PS4 yet?

You mean... like the PSVR that has been out for like 2 years?

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

raditts posted:

Back in the NES era, the in thing was to make renditions of Japanese box art that looked less anime and more lovely. Here's the original Dragon Quest box art, for instance.

The DW box art is the worst example you could've given of that trope because it's pretty badass imo

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

raditts posted:

You mean... like the PSVR that has been out for like 2 years?

Oh yeah I suppose that's what I meant. I barely hear anything about it though so I figured it's not seeing much widespread use yet

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

g0lbez posted:

Yeah, the PS4 has a plug and play VR thingie. I think it costs as much or more the the system though.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

g0lbez posted:

The DW box art is the worst example you could've given of that trope because it's pretty badass imo

Yeah, the NA DW box art is fine and I'm not sure how it's irrelevant, since it shows the hero fighting a dragon and both of the bosses in the game are dragons???

I think I'd go so far as to say it's a perfect example of what a box art change should be, if you feel the need to change it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the PS4 has a plug and play VR thingie. I think it costs as much or more the the system though.

It goes on sale for like 200. wipeout vr is supposed to be cool but lol at helmet owning
I aint that thirsty

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah, the NA DW box art is fine and I'm not sure how it's irrelevant, since it shows the hero fighting a dragon and both of the bosses in the game are dragons???

I think I'd go so far as to say it's a perfect example of what a box art change should be, if you feel the need to change it.

He said it's not a dragon that looks like anything in the game. I guess it kinda looks like the green dragon that guards the princess?

I like the original art better but that's mostly because I like Toriyama's art style, samey faces notwithstanding. Well that, and the dragon's face on the us art is kinda hosed up looking in a way I can't quite put into words. Like... a green demon horse, it something.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 3, 2018

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

The in game green dragon doesn't have wings. You can tell a lot better when you see the DQ sprite with the one from the SFC version. So yeah, the green dragon on the cover of DW isn't really in the game.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

raditts posted:

Was that Wii game any good? I always wanted to try it.

it was alright, it managed to have the dragon quest charm despite it's gameplay failings, also amazing special attack names (the endgame infinity symbol attack being called FIGURE OF FATE, and the final boss having an evil version called FIGURE OF HATE)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yinlock posted:

alright, i've already been through this before so i won't do anything too crazy in terra incognita this time

5 hours later

okay now that i've finished the greenhouse on the 2nd floor i can move onto gathering roof tiles for

e: i wasn't aware people disliked dq2, it's not bad imo even if prince green dies at the slightest breeze

I've just picked up DQ Builders for the first time and I'm only partway through ch1 and I can easily see this happening to me :ohdear:

What an astoundingly compelling game. Take a building/crafting block game, and add tight goals. Appeals right to the core of my lizard brain.

(e) Speaking of, can you jump the gun on room recipes through experimentation or does that await unlocks? Trying to figure out what to do with the inn sign. Also, any reason to give everyone a private room or can I just let them have their communal hovel :v:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I've just picked up DQ Builders for the first time and I'm only partway through ch1 and I can easily see this happening to me :ohdear:

What an astoundingly compelling game. Take a building/crafting block game, and add tight goals. Appeals right to the core of my lizard brain.

(e) Speaking of, can you jump the gun on room recipes through experimentation or does that await unlocks? Trying to figure out what to do with the inn sign. Also, any reason to give everyone a private room or can I just let them have their communal hovel :v:

you don't have to unlock rooms, you're only limited via available materials. experiment away, most are easy to figure out from expanding on the recipes the game tells you and there's some really dumb/weird ones for laughs

there's also no reason to give everyone private rooms, though i do it anyway because it's fun. weirdly, private rooms give no bonuses but inns give villagers a meaty hp boost.

if you wanna use that inn sign put 6 straw beds in a room and slap it on the wall, it's the best you can do in ch1 since you don't have access to fancy beds yet

e: but yeah it's amazing how much a difference a little bit of structure makes. it's fun building giant invincible forts to keep your npc pals safe

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 3, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Blurf I built all my structures on the western side of town and now I gotta rebuild like the entire ch1 town so I can put that steel stockade somewhere useful

:saddowns:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I started the SFC version of DQ2 after not having played it for well over a decade and I completely forgot to get the silver key until after I got the ship. Still remembered where to get the other keys though.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Blurf I built all my structures on the western side of town and now I gotta rebuild like the entire ch1 town so I can put that steel stockade somewhere useful

It's not all that big of a deal. Once you get access to obsidian, you get access to a LOT of obsidian. Just make all your walls out of that, surrounded by spikes (maybe two rows of spikes if you want). Defense handled.

Just keep in mind that the final boss of each chapter has your town as purely what is in bounds, and everything else temporarily vanishes. The steel stockade isn't particularly useful for the ch 1 boss either way.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guess I'll just finish Ch1 then rather than build more defenses (town doesn't even have full walls atm lmao)

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

yeah i made that mistake my first time too, thankfully future chapters make it obvious where the enemy's going to come from(it's either the only direction possible or there's already a entrance-like ruin there)

a good practice to get into for future chapters is to always figure out where your territory's border is and build a 2-block-high dirt wall surrounding it, then use cladding to change it to whatever's strongest when it's available

a manually built wall out of super tough stuff will be better ofc but that's the quickest/easiest way and it'll keep most things out of your hair besides minibosses

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I can see ivy growing down through empty tiles in the wild, but I can't seem to replicate that with my own structures. Please tell me I'm missing something and not that it's impossible to have ropes of ivy hanging from a bridge

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man they really just drop you into it in the third Gen of V. I've been zooming around all over the place, but I have no idea where the actual plot is.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Looper posted:

I can see ivy growing down through empty tiles in the wild, but I can't seem to replicate that with my own structures. Please tell me I'm missing something and not that it's impossible to have ropes of ivy hanging from a bridge

Probably something like you have to create a brick for it to drape onto, then delete the brick.

Gaius Marius posted:

Man they really just drop you into it in the third Gen of V. I've been zooming around all over the place, but I have no idea where the actual plot is.

Did you try chatting with party members? That usually sets you on the right path.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yinlock posted:

yeah i made that mistake my first time too, thankfully future chapters make it obvious where the enemy's going to come from(it's either the only direction possible or there's already a entrance-like ruin there)

a good practice to get into for future chapters is to always figure out where your territory's border is and build a 2-block-high dirt wall surrounding it, then use cladding to change it to whatever's strongest when it's available

a manually built wall out of super tough stuff will be better ofc but that's the quickest/easiest way and it'll keep most things out of your hair besides minibosses

I'm close (I think) to the end of chapter 2 and yeah just putting up a dirt wall at the start right on the last possible rows really helped keep things cool

I then manually tore it down and put up brick because the only cladding available at the time was wood and brick sounded beefier :v:

(e) also i kinda knew it was coming because that's how stories go, but eesh chapter 2 got grim fast :smith:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Breath of Fire 1 and 2 are better examples though

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Calaveron posted:

Breath of Fire 1 and 2 are better examples though

Everyone on the US box art for BoF2 are just reacting to the news that dragon transformations are a one shot MP-emptying ability and not a proper transformation. :colbert:

(BoF2's transformations are real dumb in that regard)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Does anyone care to sound off on the differences between Builders for PS4 and the Switch? I have the former but not the latter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Honestly that feels like a deliberate choice; the world’s kinda gone down the shitter and especially with party chat being a thing now and having two kids it’s worth Zooming everywhere to see how things changed, which eventually leads to plot.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JustJeff88 posted:

Does anyone care to sound off on the differences between Builders for PS4 and the Switch? I have the former but not the latter.

One comes on disc and the other on cart

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ps4 has lame speedrun objectives and switch has collect x items or something instead.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Gaius Marius posted:

Finding your wife is probably your first plot goal, though figuring out where takes time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

There's some additional stuff in the free-play "Terra Incognita" mode, but the story mode chapters all remain pretty much the same.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Allarion posted:

Finding your wife is probably your first plot goal, though figuring out where takes time.

Yeah I've been looking around looking for her, the game did a pretty good job of getting me attached to her. I wish my kids weren't so weak though. This game would really benefit from having a five member party.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I wish my kids weren't so weak though.

...wait what? I had a different experience here. They both earned perma-spots on my team and definitely pulled their weight.

I ran with full family party for end game, with a monster team in reserve.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

HPanda posted:

...wait what? I had a different experience here. They both earned perma-spots on my team and definitely pulled their weight.

I ran with full family party for end game, with a monster team in reserve.

Oh I don't doubt it but they start at level 5

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

My final party only had hero and son in the party, with a golem with a metal king sword and an apple on healing duty, and I think the sun only did buffing and oomphing for the stronger characters. I kinda expected the son to be stronger since he's the real hero and all, but nope not really.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I can never kick Saber out of the party in V, he's my best cat friend.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zore posted:

I can never kick Saber out of the party in V, he's my best cat friend.

I tossed him the moment I got an apple and a Slime Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Gaius Marius posted:

I tossed him the moment I got an apple and a Slime Knight.

Both max out their levels early, they're good early to mid-game monsters but Saber can carry you till the final (not postgame) boss.