Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I did a new build around an 8700k late last year and couldn't resist this obnoxious case, s340 hyper beast

The quality of life changes of modern cases are so good vs old cases like the Sonata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

If your fans aren't glowing red you're doing it wrong

If your case has a window it is ugly and you should feel bad for liking tacky crap.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I went with the phanteks enthoo evolv mATX for my 8700k and it’s great. The tempered glass doors do need better retention, though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
You nerds gotta be kidding me. Didn't we just go through this in the gpu thread

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

You nerds gotta be kidding me. Didn't we just go through this in the gpu thread

look there is a finite number of Meltdowns possible and the Specter of more will not cow us

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

mewse posted:

I did a new build around an 8700k late last year and couldn't resist this obnoxious case, s340 hyper beast

The quality of life changes of modern cases are so good vs old cases like the Sonata

ahahaha, wow... never seen a paint job like that...my god

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I really like the Fractal Define R6

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mewse posted:

There's a part of me that loves this ironically because it looks like something that would be on the side of a conversion van.
There's another part of me that loves this unironically because it looks like a mural painted inside an arcade at a mini golf place.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Xae posted:

You mean the super quiet case with controlled airflow through filter?

Until they drilled their name in holes along the side?

Mistakes were made.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The pre - garbage can pro case is one of my favourite cases ever. Did you change the motherboard tray?

No, I used a mATX mobo and sliced some of the aluminum out of the rear until I could pop the motherboard shield in, then made custom standoffs to hold the board. I know everybody uses a complete new tray - and so did I when I converted a Dell XPS700 from BTX to ATX - but I wanted to leave the Apple case as stock as possible. I even used the quasi-separate compartment for the GPU with its own airflow setup, just like Apple did, and kept the original plexiglass cover so it appears stock if you don’t look real close.

If the wiring was better, I’d have pictures up all over, but I never put in enough effort to get it looking perfect.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

MaxxBot posted:

That would be neat or a similar thing with one of these bad boys.

It wants a big radiator in the front and an 8 core Intel chip.

JnnyThndrs posted:

No, I used a mATX mobo and sliced some of the aluminum out of the rear until I could pop the motherboard shield in, then made custom standoffs to hold the board.

Neat. I googled around that swap and saw a very clean one someone did that way.

I really like those cases.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 12, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Just one? The top end of those machines were dual socket after all.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I have an old v1000, and it still looks like new. And maybe always will, it seems eternal. But I always really wanted one of those.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

They really are cool. I bought mine as a bare case from a flea market back when they were much harder to find and did the conversion very cheaply since I was pretty broke at the time.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I just got the Fractal Design Meshify C the other day. I wanted the one without the glass, but it was not a deal breaker.

The built in cable management solutions are amazing, and I've never had such a quiet computer.

Fan splitter will be in tomorrow, so it'll be even extra quieter. I love this drat thing.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Same. Have Fractal Design Define XL for my workstation and Define 5 for my NAS. Quiet, well built cases without all the RGB that I don't care about.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008
I've had the Fractal Define R3 since 2011, great case.

zebez fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 12, 2018

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Can't really go wrong with a Fractal Design Define..

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So someone at Sager evidently let slip that Z390 will be running Ice Lake 10nm 8/16 CPUs...but in the same leak also says the boards are compatible with the Coffee Lake 6/12s.

https://www.techpowerup.com/243215/intels-core-i7-8700k-generational-successor-could-be-8-core

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Alpha Mayo posted:

I don't like holes. Impossible to keep clean.

I'd rather the holes than pointlessly reducing airflow and therefore the lifespan of the components. as for keeping it clean idk, hose it down with a big vat of distilled water?

zebez posted:

I've had the Fractal Define R3 since 2011, great case.

I love the fractal cases and I've been able to get them literally silent at idle, but the airflow is such that I'm pretty sure it's killed at least two motherboards for me. prob wouldn't be as much of a problem problem if motherboard manufacturers actually put heatsinks on some of the chips that patently get really loving hot, but nah we're stuck with plastic crap and rgb leds

they already did one of those things

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/09/apple_g5_update/

although your average home watercooling setup is prob less prone to leaks than that thing was

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Apr 12, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Some of the heatsink design on boards is terrible, and looks like it acts like a heat trap. Stupid little overhangs and bullshit.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Some of the heatsink design on boards is terrible, and looks like it acts like a heat trap. Stupid little overhangs and bullshit.

something about the fact that ram sticks are covered in stupid gamer bullshit doesn't sit right with me either; seems like the plastic would just insulate the electronics and cause them to get hotter. which generally wouldn't be a problem for ram... except if you're overclocking the ram for games or something? idk

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I just want an ominous black cube with no bling.

I miss those tiny little spiky heatsinks like the alpha pal type on board components. They didn't look like anything except surface area, and nothing got covered by overhang.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I miss those tiny little spiky heatsinks like the alpha pal type on board components. They didn't look like anything except surface area, and nothing got covered by overhang.

i was rooting around in a pc i built like 10 years ago the other day - i like the little copper heatsinks. admittedly those were probably cooling the northbridge which iirc doesn't exist anymore, but it's a bit depressing that you have to go pretty high end to even get vrm heatsinks at this point, when overclockable cpus are pretty cheap. i guess in the pc space once something's not absolutely required it then becomes a premium feature that you pay through the nose for

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
VRM cooling hasn't mattered for a long time so motherboard manufacturers have gotten bad at it. EVGA is practically the only one with good VRM cooling for Skylake-X that needs it, but their board is niche and 500 dollars. The PCH only kicks out a few watts of heat now so whatever random block of metal they throw on there is good enough.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

craig588 posted:

VRM cooling hasn't mattered for a long time so motherboard manufacturers have gotten bad at it. EVGA is practically the only one with good VRM cooling for Skylake-X that needs it, but their board is niche and 500 dollars. The PCH only kicks out a few watts of heat now so whatever random block of metal they throw on there is good enough.

yeah I'm pretty much just pontificating at this point - was running the fractal build overclocked but I doubt it was drawing enough voltage to be a vrm issue. maybe lovely capacitors - it was a gigabyte board after all

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Give me the NZXT 400i without the ridiculous overkill of the fan controller that I don't need and adds $60 unnecessarily to the price and that would be the perfect case IMO.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mewse posted:

This art owns.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Give me the NZXT 400i without the ridiculous overkill of the fan controller that I don't need and adds $60 unnecessarily to the price and that would be the perfect case IMO.

That's a step up from most cases. I like that the front panel is all metal. That's a nice box.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So someone at Sager evidently let slip that Z390 will be running Ice Lake 10nm 8/16 CPUs...but in the same leak also says the boards are compatible with the Coffee Lake 6/12s.

https://www.techpowerup.com/243215/intels-core-i7-8700k-generational-successor-could-be-8-core

So no mainstream consumer 8-core chips from Intel this year? That sucks. I don't know how much longer I can hold out with my 2500K and if this system goes kaput I'll have to do a forced upgrade to a six-core rig (probably a cheap i5-8400 system) but then 8-core chips will come soon after that and those will require a new motherboard to support them because it's Intel.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

it's in my garage now, but this is what i had for a long, long time. a 2x2x2' cube made of plain, heavy steel with nice wheels cuz the thing was heavy as gently caress. i forget who made it, but it rules

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

spasticColon posted:

I don't know how much longer I can hold out with my 2500K

Same here. Still on my 2500k@4.4Ghz. And if either the mb or cpu dies it's gonna be almost a complete new pc for me.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My friend's motherboard died in his 3770 machine, and he offered me his 3770K as an upgrade to my 2500K. Can I drop it in my lovely P67 motherboard?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
As long as you don't have a weird abandoned motherboard with no bios updates, update to the latest bios and it should work no problem.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

zebez posted:

Same here. Still on my 2500k@4.4Ghz. And if either the mb or cpu dies it's gonna be almost a complete new pc for me.

My 2500K won't go past 4.2Ghz no matter what I do which is one of the reasons why I'm not going to bother with overclocking next time around.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

spasticColon posted:

My 2500K won't go past 4.2Ghz no matter what I do which is one of the reasons why I'm not going to bother with overclocking next time around.

Same, my cpu wont go past 4.4Ghz no matter what. And I heard a lot of ppl getting 5.0+Ghz so <3

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
If anyone's still going on a Socket 1366 system and hasn't tried a hexcore chip, you may want to try picking up a cheap Westmere-EP Xeon from eBay and seeing what happens. I have a Gigabyte EX58-DS4, which only advertises support for the much more expensive Gulftown and Nehalem hexcores and a couple of slow Westmere quads, and as far as I can see a lot of consumer X58 boards across multiple vendors are similar with EVGA really being the only vendor to offer widespread support for Westmere.

My first try a few months back with an X5660 failed but the second today with an L5640 went OK:

This is at auto voltage with a 25% overclock, and I assume it could do a lot better with a bit of work. I am a bit tempted to try the X5660 again just to potentially see how high I can take it since QPI should be much less of a limiting factor with the higher starting speed, but either way it's not a bad result paying ~$15-20 for each chip. The biggest disadvantage seems to be high idle power for the platform.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Last I looked you should be able to get around 3.9GHz out of those 6 core Westmere Xeons. There's probably a lot more left in it. There was a time when I was considering one of those or a Sandybridge.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Yeah, I think the limiting factor with this one will really be QPI because of the 19x multiplier - I can probably get BCLK from 133 up to 180 or so no problem as long as cooling doesn't become an issue, but 200+ will probably require more QPI voltage than I'm comfortable using. The X5660 has a 24x which would make that much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

it's in my garage now, but this is what i had for a long, long time. a 2x2x2' cube made of plain, heavy steel with nice wheels cuz the thing was heavy as gently caress. i forget who made it, but it rules

Please post the pic!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 13, 2018