Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Please post the pic!

Ugh. I just looked for it, but I think I tossed it during a local electronics recycling drive. :mad:

It looked very similar to these Lian Li cases, but with a flat front (no visible bays)

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Eletriarnation posted:

If anyone's still going on a Socket 1366 system and hasn't tried a hexcore chip, you may want to try picking up a cheap Westmere-EP Xeon from eBay and seeing what happens. I have a Gigabyte EX58-DS4, which only advertises support for the much more expensive Gulftown and Nehalem hexcores and a couple of slow Westmere quads, and as far as I can see a lot of consumer X58 boards across multiple vendors are similar with EVGA really being the only vendor to offer widespread support for Westmere.

My first try a few months back with an X5660 failed but the second today with an L5640 went OK:

This is at auto voltage with a 25% overclock, and I assume it could do a lot better with a bit of work. I am a bit tempted to try the X5660 again just to potentially see how high I can take it since QPI should be much less of a limiting factor with the higher starting speed, but either way it's not a bad result paying ~$15-20 for each chip. The biggest disadvantage seems to be high idle power for the platform.

‘Sup, Westmere buddy? I took a chance with an X5670 for my old Gigabyte EX58-UD3R and it works pretty well, I’m running it at 3.6 stable with a moderate voltage boost. I mostly use it as a Hackintosh, which was basically a trouble-free setup on that platform.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

zebez posted:

Same, my cpu wont go past 4.4Ghz no matter what. And I heard a lot of ppl getting 5.0+Ghz so <3

Yeah, because I'm sure everyone will honestly report their actual OCs in a subject matter mostly fueled by e-peen dick waving.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Which Intel processor and chipset should I get in bed with for a home desktop server used for Plex, Excel, mixed integer programming, development, and some machine learning?

No interest in over clocking or anything affecting stability. And I still have to work near it, so no used blade servers.

One of the latest model i7s? What for the motherboard?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Why are you committed to Intel?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Sinestro posted:

Why are you committed to Intel?

Because every time I've stepped off the platform I've been burned in some way?

I guess those dual Opterons were pretty sweet.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the prices ever fall I'd get a B310, but given than Z370s are only like 20 dollars more I'd get one of those even if not overclocking for all of the extra features. The processor comes down to if you can use lots of cores and hyperthreading or not. If you can use HT a 8700 is basically your only option. If you just can use 6 cores a 8400 is the best option. If you only need 4 cores you can move all the way down to a 8100.

If you want to go the Ryzen route a 1700 is basically your best/only option. 8 cores, best thermals, best price/performance. I don't know Ryzen chipsets though.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

spasticColon posted:

My 2500K won't go past 4.2Ghz no matter what I do which is one of the reasons why I'm not going to bother with overclocking next time around.
That's the literal worst 2500k I have ever heard of, and I thought the guy who couldn't hit 4.5 @ 1.35v had it bad. The worst chip I had heard of before this was someone who needed 1.36v to hit 4.4 and 1.42 to hit 4.5.

Palladium posted:

Yeah, because I'm sure everyone will honestly report their actual OCs in a subject matter mostly fueled by e-peen dick waving.
It's not about epeen when it comes to the last 7-8 generations of intel processors.

Heck, the last few gens we have stats from siliconlottery on the percentage of processors that can hit what clock at what voltage.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 13, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Ugh. I just looked for it, but I think I tossed it during a local electronics recycling drive. :mad:

It looked very similar to these Lian Li cases, but with a flat front (no visible bays)

That's an ominous black cube alright!

Khorne posted:

That's the literal worst 2500k I have ever heard of, and I thought the guy who couldn't hit 4.5 @ 1.35v had it bad. The worst chip I had heard of before this was someone who needed 1.36v to hit 4.4 and 1.42 to hit 4.5.

That's pretty much my lemon 6600k. My 2500k was the only chip I ever had that could be considered good. It booted at 4.8 but I always ran it at 4ghz undervolted. Looking back I don't know why.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 13, 2018

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
My 6600k needed 1.35V for 4.2ghz, replaced it with 6700k that needs 1.28V for 4.5ghz.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Some games are starting to touch 100% usage on my 6600k now (namely Far Cry 5 and AS:O) and over the next year or so it's going to happen more and more frequently. Now I don't really want to spend a whole lot overhauling my system, so is it worth upgrading to a 6700k, or should I just wait until Cannon/Ice Lake? (whichever is coming after coffee lake)

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 13, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most games perform worse with HT (though some a lot better) I'd wait for Icelake.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Looking at Intel's old processor releases, there doesn't seem to be anything for LGA1155 that has more than 4 cores, which is a bummer. I wanted to dabble in virtualization, and having an extra 2-4 cores would have been handy for that. Is there anything obvious that I am missing?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I’ve always had good luck with the silicon lottery - my 3570K and 3770K both hit 4.3 w/virtually no voltage increase and my 2500K and 2700K did 4.4 before having to crank up the juice.*

Then I hit snake eyes, my 4790K won’t go over 4.4, and that’s stock turbo speed. It maxes out at 4.6 with a ton of extra voltage, the only way I can get away with it is the fact that I’m running a custom loop. I’m going to delid it just to help temps, but I know it’s not going to go any faster.

*I check voltage with CPUID to make sure the board’s not cheating by upping the voltage.

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

Looking at Intel's old processor releases, there doesn't seem to be anything for LGA1155 that has more than 4 cores, which is a bummer. I wanted to dabble in virtualization, and having an extra 2-4 cores would have been handy for that. Is there anything obvious that I am missing?
Edit: nevermind. No you're not missing anything.

Darth Llama fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 13, 2018

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KKKLIP ART posted:

Nope you're not missing anything. You'll have to upgrade everything to get more cores.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm not sure if you're stuck to LGA 1155, but if you aren't you could always look into LGA 2011 systems. For example, the E5-1650 v2 is 6c12t, 3.2 ghz and if you paired it with a X99 board you can even overclock it a fair amount.

Even if overclocking isn't your thing, you can find used workstations on Ebay for $375 shipped that come with 16GB of RAM.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

bobfather posted:

I'm not sure if you're stuck to LGA 1155, but if you aren't you could always look into LGA 2011 systems. For example, the E5-1650 v2 is 6c12t, 3.2 ghz and if you paired it with a X99 board you can even overclock it a fair amount.

Even if overclocking isn't your thing, you can find used workstations on Ebay for $375 shipped that come with 16GB of RAM.

Yeah I was hoping for more of a drop in replacement because I can’t totally justify a new system. I think I can hold off because it’s more of a ‘it would be fun’ and by an I need type of deal.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah I was hoping for more of a drop in replacement because I can’t totally justify a new system. I think I can hold off because it’s more of a ‘it would be fun’ and by an I need type of deal.

If you just want to mess around then there's really no need for more cores. Really the problem you're more likely to run into is not enough memory.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I have a 5820k @ 4.5ghz and my retarded brain wants to upgrade, help me.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
5960xes are only 350 now. It makes me wish I had more stuff to use more cores. I'm mostly going to hold out for 6900Ks to hit that price because 8 core using apps will maybe be out there by the time they're that cheap. Right now 6900ks are in the 550 range.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Slider posted:

I have a 5820k @ 4.5ghz and my retarded brain wants to upgrade, help me.

I'll help you:

Don't upgrade the cpu, dipshit.

In all seriousness, what else is in there?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

I'll help you:

Don't upgrade the cpu, dipshit.

In all seriousness, what else is in there?

EVGA x99 motherboard, 16GB ddr4 2400mhz, evga 980ti, 500GB 850pro SSD, I think that covers it. I have no plans of buying a video card right now, was kinda considering buying 8600k/8700k from silicon lottery and pairing it with one of those new fancy nvme ssds.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That seems like a huge waste. I'd want to go to more cores if I was spending money, and as someone who owns a NVME drive it's a waste outside of benchmarks or doing lots of visualization. I replaced a 840 Pro with a 960 Evo and it puts up 3.5GB/s benchmarks, but the real world difference is very small. My next drive will probably be back to a SATA one for the cost savings.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I'd go for more cores with that system if anything. Threadripper I guess? What do you actually do on that rig? Your SSD isn't nvme.. your ram isnt 32GB.. Its rare for me to go under 16GB RAM load these days.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

craig588 posted:

That seems like a huge waste. I'd want to go to more cores if I was spending money, and as someone who owns a NVME drive it's a waste outside of benchmarks or doing lots of visualization. I replaced a 840 Pro with a 960 Evo and it puts up 3.5GB/s benchmarks, but the real world difference is very small. My next drive will probably be back to a SATA one for the cost savings.
gently caress cost savings, go big instead.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You don't want your friends laughing behind your back when they find out you have a SATA in your computer.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

You don't want your friends laughing behind your back when they find out you have a SATA in your computer.

A little known secret is NVMe scales with more CPU cores.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

This is my greatest fear

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Slider posted:

This is my greatest fear

I was laughing and I am not even your friend.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Wasn't NVME IO one of the few things that actually get severely hit by the Meltdown/Spectre patches?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Alpha Mayo posted:

Wasn't NVME IO one of the few things that actually get severely hit by the Meltdown/Spectre patches?
I think this is the benchmark you're thinking of.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

redeyes posted:

In database loads and poo poo like that, which probably doesn't really apply that much to us, where the workloads are probably hampered by data processing times.

I'd really love an NVMe drive, but I'm saving the money for different unnecessary stuff, like a high core-count CPU in summer or fall (whenever both TR+ and Cascade Lake are out).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Slider posted:

EVGA x99 motherboard, 16GB ddr4 2400mhz, evga 980ti, 500GB 850pro SSD, I think that covers it. I have no plans of buying a video card right now, was kinda considering buying 8600k/8700k from silicon lottery and pairing it with one of those new fancy nvme ssds.
Going for the biggest possible orthogonal sidegrade?

The only department you'd really come out ahead on is video games that shove everything into thread 1, but even then you'd need a better card than a 980ti these days for the sick framerates you seek.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
There was one guy who claimed you needed at least a 5960x for some games, but for me I don't feel limited in the slightest with a 5820K and a 1080 and I'm planning on getting the next consumer Nvidia card they come out with too. I want an excuse to use 8 cores but really a videocard upgrade will have more impact.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

redeyes posted:

Little known to anyone who hasn't read the NVMe spec?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Could be fake (especially given the sources), but hey: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/unannounced-intel-core-i7-8086k-surfaces.html

eames
May 9, 2009

So a 8700K binned to 4.0 base/5.1 turbo — a speed bump rebranded as a special edition. :allears:
The anniversary (and likely launch date) would be right in line with Z390, I really hope this isn't a sign that they cancelled the 8-core because of meltdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Fake. It should have a base clock speed of 4.7 GHz with the boost maxed at 5 :v: