Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

JazzmasterCurious posted:

Fake. It should have a base clock speed of 4.7 GHz with the boost maxed at 5 :v:
A-B testing shows consumers like a big turbo boost and some overclock headroom. Can't do things like AMD and provide the chip's actual speeds. Need to use lovely TIM and ship the CPU at a clock 30% or more below what 99% of our binning can do.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Wish they'd do an unlocked pentium again

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

redeyes posted:

A little known secret is NVMe scales with more CPU cores.

This is Extremely Important for my home workload such as [blank] and [input missing]

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Khorne posted:

A-B testing shows consumers like a big turbo boost and some overclock headroom. Can't do things like AMD and provide the chip's actual speeds. Need to use lovely TIM and ship the CPU at a clock 30% or more below what 99% of our binning can do.
They don't exactly do that intentionally, either. Everything the desktop gets are the runts that are too inefficient to sell as laptop chips.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Khorne posted:

(you missed the joke)

(hint: 4.77)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

BobHoward posted:

(you missed the joke)

(hint: 4.77)
My post was a joke too. Well, the second half isn't a very good joke.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder how much processing power they could fit into the original x086 package, and not have it overheat.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I wonder how much processing power they could fit into the original x086 package, and not have it overheat.
They'll just hand over everything to the GPU.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is interesting, but does Intel really have to call it "Security Essentials"? Couldn't they have used any other name?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"Intel Advanced Snake Oil"

ufarn
May 30, 2009

mystes posted:

This is interesting, but does Intel really have to call it "Security Essentials"? Couldn't they have used any other name?
It protects them from the future search results about the inevitable security gently caress-up.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I have a 4770k plugged into a Z87 board, are my PCIe cards running at gen2 or gen3 speed?

e: oh it seems I get gen3 on the CPU connected slots!

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 18, 2018

Khorne
May 1, 2002
When is intel announcing 8 cores?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 18, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Khorne posted:

When is intel announcing 8 cores?
June 8 is a big Intel anniversary (8086 in 1978), so possibly then.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ufarn posted:

June 8 is a big Intel anniversary (8086 in 1978), so possibly then.

It's also square in the middle of Computex.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm still praying to the CPU gods for a 8c/8t Core i5. :pray:

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 19, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I somehow doubt they'll call them 9th Gen if they're still running on 14nm++. My guess is they'll go with the i5-8850K and the i7-8870K, even if x8xx and x9xx SKUs are normally reserved for the HEDT parts. Maybe 8785 and 8787?

We probably won't see locked consumer-focused octacores until Ice Lake.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 19, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

spasticColon posted:

I'm still praying to the CPU gods for a 8c/8t Core i5. :pray:

That would be the budget king for ages to come, a bit like how the i5 2500k was. I can't see it happening for a while yet. Intel wants people to buy their i7s.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That would be the budget king for ages to come, a bit like how the i5 2500k was. I can't see it happening for a while yet. Intel wants people to buy their i7s.

All the more reason I see the first 8C/8T being a K-SKUed CPU, specifically *so* Intel can overcharge for it, and wait until Ice Lake to release the consumer-focused ones.

The original sale price of the 8700K was ~$429 (despite having a lower MSRP). I could see the initial "gotta have it" price for the i7 14nm++ 8C/16T part being $599, even though i7-7820s are ~$470, but you make up the difference in having to buy a 'full' X299 board for ~$250-300+ if you want one that's not a *complete* piece of first-generation crap, and also not one of those cut-down ones they put out for the Kaby-Xes.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 19, 2018

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
There's been a bunch of rumors that there's going to be a Skylake-X refresh this fall (instead of Cascade Lake-X), going back to soldered IHSes. If true, this would be hilarious.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's been a bunch of rumors that there's going to be a Skylake-X refresh this fall (instead of Cascade Lake-X), going back to soldered IHSes. If true, this would be hilarious.

what the hell is happening at intel, is their products managers just think the shotgun method of shove more chips out the door from differant SKUs more better?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

This is what it looks like when process improvement dies i guess.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I love how the 8400 is easily in the top 3 in most of these benchmarks when in comes to games(!), power consumption and pure performance (ST, but still).

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I love how the 8400 is easily in the top 3 in most of these benchmarks when in comes to games(!), power consumption and pure performance (ST, but still).

I can go back to my old 4790K from my 8700K and it will make zero difference in gaming besides offline 31 bots CS:GO which is far and away the most ST intensive gaming load I can think of.

I really didn't need a CPU upgrade but I was so loving bored with the desktop CPU landscape.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Palladium posted:

I can go back to my old 4790K from my 8700K and it will make zero difference in gaming besides offline 31 bots CS:GO which is far and away the most ST intensive gaming load I can think of.

I really didn't need a CPU upgrade but I was so loving bored with the desktop CPU landscape.

This is pretty much where I’m at. I have this irrational desire to upgrade my 6700K, but there’s no legitimate reason to do so. Not until 6+ cores get more heavily leveraged in gaming anyway.

That said, if Intel does roll out a mainstream 8C/16T chip soon, that might do the trick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There was a "worth-it" improvement going from a 2500k to an 8700k, but barely, even with a 1070 powering it. For most gaming/enthusiast users on Ivy or later I would not suggest upgrading yet unless there's money burning a hole in your pocket.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
For games alone there's very little reason to go to 6 cores. For encoding in the background it's very nice. About 4 cores get used for encoding and leave 2 free for foreground apps and there's virtually no performance hit. Encoding blurays takes more CPU power but I have a lot more DVDs of old TV shows that never got or have no quality change from a better medium than I do blurays, probably in a 10:1 ratio.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lockback posted:

There was a "worth-it" improvement going from a 2500k to an 8700k, but barely, even with a 1070 powering it. For most gaming/enthusiast users on Ivy or later I would not suggest upgrading yet unless there's money burning a hole in your pocket.

I went from a 2700k -> 8700k, and if I didn't have a different color motherboard when I look through the window, I'd be hard pressed to notice :\

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The only time I ever notice I need a processor with more balls is video editing. My 6600K chokes hard, it feels like the terrible slowdown of conventional hard drives bad. So more cores it is.

(In my defence I never touched a video editor ever until recently, or I wouldn't have a 4c w/o HT)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 20, 2018

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The only difference I noticed going from a 2500k to a 6600k was framerates in World of Warcraft's Dalaran city being much higher. I generally saw less dips overall, especially in raids. It's weird, WoW doesn't really use much CPU but it got the biggest improvements. Perhaps the new memory had something to do with it, I went from 1600mhz to 2666mhz when I upgraded my CPU and board.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The only difference I noticed going from a 2500k to a 6600k was framerates in World of Warcraft's Dalaran city being much higher. I generally saw less dips overall, especially in raids. It's weird, WoW doesn't really use much CPU but it got the biggest improvements. Perhaps the new memory had something to do with it, I went from 1600mhz to 2666mhz when I upgraded my CPU and board.

There is definitely stuff in WoW that is cpu limited, I noticed a huge boost as well after doing a processor upgrade, esp in high pop areas where you'd think the GPU would be struggling to draw all the characters

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AlternateAccount posted:

I went from a 2700k -> 8700k, and if I didn't have a different color motherboard when I look through the window, I'd be hard pressed to notice :\

Even games that were single thread-heavy I noticed a decent (though not dramatic) framerate increase, far less dips, and even things like loading was faster. A few games that used the additional cores had a significant performance increase, but those are rare.

It's noticeable for sure for me, but as I wouldn't categorize it as a giant leap. The GPU jump in the same timeline would be from a 570 to a 1070, and it wouldn't even be close to that relative performance increase.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
i'm still on an overclocked 4970k which i upgraded to after using a 2500k. I noticed a pretty big difference after the upgrade but I did have a 120hz monitor at the time.

if i upgrade anytime soon it's going to be more for the motherboard features at this point

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Yeah, there’s really only motherboard features worth upgrading for if you’ve got a decent SSD and GPU for most desktop uses now. Other cases are purely for specific cases like video encoding (AVX-512 helps significantly if you work with HEVC a lot evidently). With a 1080 Ti and 16GB of RAM, my 4790k is handling everything fine except for my HEVC transcodes.

I bought an NVMe SSD and the hours I’ve wasted dealing with booting from it on a Z97 board would have probably paid for a new system by now.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

From what I remember WoW pegs one CPU really hard and doesnt touch the others, in general MMOs lean very heavy on the CPU.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Slider posted:

From what I remember WoW pegs one CPU really hard and doesnt touch the others, in general MMOs lean very heavy on the CPU.

The funny part is that online multiplayer titles are both real demanding on CPUs, and also the most difficult to accurately benchmark.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
They're mostly just memory-hard.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like Cannonlake engineering samples are starting to finally to trickle out to a wider audience, including a bizarre NUC with a RX550 dGPU.

Wccftech so be skeptical etc

https://wccftech.com/intel-10nm-cannonlake-nucs-amd-radeon-rx-500-gpus/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

canyoneer posted:

The funny part is that online multiplayer titles are both real demanding on CPUs, and also the most difficult to accurately benchmark.

I remembered my CS:GO average framerates jumped by 60% from a 2500K @ 4.2GHz to a 4790K stock on the same DDR3-1600.

For 5v5 you won't be able to A/B the difference in a blind test, but 40+ player mods it's a massive boost where even a 4790K struggle to maintain 60 fps in a intense firefight.