Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

COOL CORN posted:

I get irrationally angry when I see counters turned all higgledy-piggledy in a game that doesn't use facing

Rationally angry, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

COOL CORN posted:

I get irrationally angry when I see counters turned all higgledy-piggledy in a game that doesn't use facing
:siren:WARNING!:siren:

We have a grognard containment leak! Personnel please commence containment procedures immediately!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Also:

Wargames Thread - counters turned all higgledy-piggledy in a game that doesn't use facing

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

COOL CORN posted:

brb I'm finding some pics of some old games

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
At least the counters appear to be neatly clipped.

Could you imagine unclipped higgledy-piggledy counters?

:russbus:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Trip report from MBT: the basic rules are very basic. Took me like 20 min to pick up and play

Time to dive in to advanced rules!

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

Tekopo posted:

From the sound of it '44 is generally unbalanced.

Only played it twice so tough to say but it does appear the German side takes a bit of finesse at least in the early stages of the invasion.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Phi230 posted:

Trip report from MBT: the basic rules are very basic. Took me like 20 min to pick up and play

Time to dive in to advanced rules!

Would love to read some thoughts and reviews once you do! I have a friend who's been looking for a tank game and MBT has a cool cover

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

tomdidiot posted:

I've found that you really don’t need to have many forces int he front line - you can get enough to ensure the allies are attacking at 1-1 odds before modifiers in the bocage very quickly. You'd much rather have the defence in depth and lines upon lines of troops reinforcing them.

Yup, played as the Germans the game before and had some success falling back to bocage once I had enough units to hold a somewhat contiguous line. The hex bond rules really allow you to spread out more than you'd think.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chill la Chill posted:

Would love to read some thoughts and reviews once you do! I have a friend who's been looking for a tank game and MBT has a cool cover

The advanced rules are more than I can chew at once, but luckily it is modular so you can choose what advanced rules to tack on.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have MBT but I haven't played it yet. I'm looking forward to it because mid-80s conventional World War III in Germany is 100% my poo poo. It's deeper than I'd like in the backlog of stuff I plan to try with my boyfriend though so it may have to wait.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 24, 2018

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Huskalator posted:

Yup, played as the Germans the game before and had some success falling back to bocage once I had enough units to hold a somewhat contiguous line. The hex bond rules really allow you to spread out more than you'd think.

Yeah ,as the Germans, I think one of the best strats is to hightail it beyond the naval bombardment line as soon as you can. The free allied column shifts from naval bombardment are pretty devastating.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Preview of the Brazen Chariots map:

(the colored lines and symbols won't be there in the final)

:fap:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

BattleMaster posted:

I have MBT but I haven't played it yet. I'm looking forward to it because mid-80s conventional World War III in Germany is 100% my poo poo. It's deeper than I'd like in the backlog of stuff I plan to try with my boyfriend though so it may have to wait.

I finally tracked down Chieftain; I now have all of GDW's Assault series.

I wish folks in my area were into WWIII wargames.

Edit: I'd also like to get copies of their old Third World War series at some point.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 24, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Trip report 2 from MBT: we tried doing some more advanced rules, like ATGMs and infantry and mechanized transport/ambhib movement. The game gets a lot more detailed, fast, without losing its speed or ease of play.

That being said, combat is incredibly fast and lethal. You get spotted, its more likely you die before you can move off if you are not in a good position.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Trip report 2 from MBT: we tried doing some more advanced rules, like ATGMs and infantry and mechanized transport/ambhib movement. The game gets a lot more detailed, fast, without losing its speed or ease of play.

That being said, combat is incredibly fast and lethal. You get spotted, its more likely you die before you can move off if you are not in a good position.

Once I added helicopters I realized how feared they are. I picked up the BAOR expansion as well and the new maps add some interesting elements I’m not sure however they’re worth the non p500 price. Though the addition of the leaders elements give you some more rpg elements

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mainlining adam tooze's wages of destruction for a history paper (due, uh, thursday) and one thing it's kind of impressing on me from a game design perspective is just how loving chaotic wwii was compared to the popular conception of the planning. like, half the reason the blitzkreig in france happened was because the french happened to recover plans for the alternate plan; and then it depended on total strategic surprise and the luftwaffe keeping the allied air forces out of the ardennes

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

crap, Imperial Struggle pushed back to Early/Mid 2019

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
So, Atlantic Chase seems pretty :catdrugs:.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

crap, Imperial Struggle pushed back to Early/Mid 2019

I'm just hoping it's improved the original CDG design and takes lessons from WsdV and ~COIN~ :getin:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Lichtenstein posted:

So, Atlantic Chase seems really interesting.

I'm excited! I don't love modern military stuff, but I do love attempts at mechanical game-modeling of new perspectives or phenomena.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lichtenstein posted:

So, Atlantic Chase seems pretty :catdrugs:.

Where can I read up on this? I tried googling it but couldn't find anything

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Where can I read up on this? I tried googling it but couldn't find anything

Here.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That looks really interesting, but does it come with yarn?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

This is entirely my poo poo

My grandfather was on an RCN corvette and did the Murmansk run in this era of the war so I'll feel bad and not be born if one of my convoys gets killed though.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 26, 2018

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to a cool new naval wargame! Tried my hand at Avalanche Press's SWWAS and it was entirely too much bookkeeping and not enough shooting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

This is entirely my poo poo

My grandfather was on an RCN corvette and did the Murmansk run in this era of the war so I'll feel bad and not be born if one of my convoys gets killed though.

What game?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

al-azad posted:

What game?

Atlantic Chase, the article posted earlier links to the actual game details. It uses counters instead of yarn and pins.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As an old salt they have me sold.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

COOL CORN posted:

Preview of the Brazen Chariots map:

(the colored lines and symbols won't be there in the final)

:fap:

Cool beans! I don't know the BCS system yet but I've flipped through my Baptism by Fire rulebook and I'm excited to engage with it. Looks like Brazen Chariots may feature some highly mobile warfare which warms my heart.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Huskalator posted:

Looks like Brazen Chariots may feature some highly mobile warfare which warms my heart.
If it deals in any realistic way with the events of Operation Crusader, "highly mobile warfare" is selling it way short. The bulk of that entire operation could best be described as "assholes chasing each other around in giant circles in the desert."

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

What I wouldn't give for a rules-enforced Empire of the Sun program so I could learn the drat thing beyond broad strokes.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Atlantic Chase looks such a beautiful/novel game. I hope he pulls it off.

Also I was reading up on Smolensk and apparently it's supposed to be on the lighter side of OCS? Could someone jump into it straight from Reluctant Enemies or Tunisia/Sicily?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's so special about Case Blue? Why is it so expensive? It's cardboard, c'mon.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

al-azad posted:

What's so special about Case Blue? Why is it so expensive? It's cardboard, c'mon.

lol I'm guessing you saw the $850 Case Blue posting on FB? I mean do you even play such a thing or does it sit on your shelf?

Ilor posted:

If it deals in any realistic way with the events of Operation Crusader, "highly mobile warfare" is selling it way short. The bulk of that entire operation could best be described as "assholes chasing each other around in giant circles in the desert."

:fap: indeed

EDIT: Oh yeah didn't at some point the front lines do a 180?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Huskalator posted:

lol I'm guessing you saw the $850 Case Blue posting on FB? I mean do you even play such a thing or does it sit on your shelf?

Yeah, but even looking up used prices it's like ~$400. I don't know what it originally retailed for but come the gently caress on MMP.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The last Case Blue retailed for $225.

So it'd probably be a little less on the preorder. They've got Devil's Cauldron (that series looks so loving cool) on preorder right now for $180 and retail for $240.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So we discovered that MBT uses the exact same basic rules as PANZER so my buddy and I shot up a few Tiger IIs with T-80BV's.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

MMP prints in the US btw.

And case blue is a huge game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Huskalator posted:

At "some" point? How about at many points. The 8th Army's line of advance was essentially from the south-east. At numerous points over the next few weeks, they were attacked by German armored formations coming at them ...from the south-east. :cripes: At one point, the 15th Panzer Division made an "encircling movement," but due to the ineptitude of the South Africans at night marches in trackless desert (something the New Zealanders were loving aces at, BTW), the Germans ended up not encircling the entire South African formation, but rather cutting between the 3rd and 5th SA Brigades. By the time the sun came up and everybody realized what was happening, 15th Panzer was sandwiched in the middle of the South Africans. It was sort of a "well...poo poo" moment for all of them. For the Germans the only sensible response was to essentially attack their way out, which they did to great (if costly) effect. By that evening, 8th Panzer Regiment had lost something like 40% of its tanks, but 3rd SA Brigade had effectively ceased to exist.

And the next morning, Rommel decided it would be a good idea to basically do the same thing all over again, only 40 miles further east.

Several days later at the infamous "Point 175," a British unit welcomed the arrival of a group of light tanks, whose drivers waved a jaunty halloo. It wasn't until the tanks got close and all of a sudden buttoned up that they realized, "oh, poo poo, those guys are Italians!" It's not clear whether the Italians were any less surprised, they just reacted faster, resulting in the capture of an entire British unit.

The airfield at Sidi Rezegh was overrun by the Brits from the south-east on 21 November 1941, the Germans from the west on 22 November, both the South Africans and then the Germans from the south on 23 November, the New Zealanders from the east on 25 November, and the Germans from the southwest and Italians from the east on 30 November.

Utter loving chaos.