Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ItBreathes posted:

It's like a handful of software engineers in the 90s got absurdly lucky with regards to borth time and place that they made such an absurd amount of money that they're insolated from any future failures and as such have become convinced they're hyperintelligent Supermen, masters of all, instead of the one thing they know anything about (software engineering), and seeing as it's been 20 years, probably don't know much about at this point.

musk is a moneyman whose lovely payments company merged with paypal and he won the lottery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I will be very surprised if this somehow doesn't end in Krzanich's ejection from corporate because holy poo poo things have got to be really dire for him to finally consider signing on.

Intel is continuing to have record quarters and he's built up a narrative that he's transformed the company to a post PC one. The stock price and numbers he shows backs this up. Whether the success is real and sustainable is a different topic, but for the immediate term he's done what the board wants so he's probably safe.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BobHoward posted:

Musk thinks that the biggest near term risk to humanity is the possibility that someone will invent a self-improving AI that will make itself into a malevolent godlike being which will then Skynet us.

No, seriously, he actually thinks that, and promotes the idea with gusto. He's a dipshit.

But hey, keep clinging to that just-world fallacy.

*tips fedora*

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Paul MaudDib posted:

Jim Keller: the wandering optimization samurai without a home

Paul MaudDib posted:

Guy designed DEC Alpha, then reassembled his team and designed AMD Athlon, then coauthored the x86-64 spec, then was a VP at a company. Apple acquired him, and he designed a couple ARM processors for them. Then he came back to AMD and designed Zen, before leaving to Tesla to design [presumably] a bunch of deep learning poo poo for them. And now he's been acquired by Intel.

The guy has personally designed about 5 of the 10 last groundbreaking compute architectures over the last 20 years.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

So he really is a lone tech samurai wandering the lands

I would love to read a Jim Keller employment contract, I bet they're crazy at this point

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Rastor posted:

I would love to read a Jim Keller employment contract, I bet they're crazy at this point

Someone earlier in either this thread or the AMD thread described one. You basically have to summon him from another plane using a ritual and then sacrifice some folks to get him to design a chip for you.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Jim Keller is a nonviolent terminator sent from the future to bring Skynet online or something

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Malcolm XML posted:

musk is a moneyman whose lovely payments company merged with paypal and he won the lottery

Even moreso then, though it applies to a lot of people who struck it big in the tech boom, Musk just loves the spotlight.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Be ironic if Intel's Keller designed architecture sucks and the RajaGPU is outstanding.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

WhyteRyce posted:

Intel is continuing to have record quarters and he's built up a narrative that he's transformed the company to a post PC one. The stock price and numbers he shows backs this up. Whether the success is real and sustainable is a different topic, but for the immediate term he's done what the board wants so he's probably safe.

Stock was in the low 20's when he took over 5 years ago, and now it's over 50. I expect the board is pretty happy.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

priznat posted:

Jim Keller is a nonviolent terminator sent from the future to bring Skynet online or something

Not soon enough

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Be ironic if Intel's Keller designed architecture sucks and the RajaGPU is outstanding.
Keller was mostly responsible for the shelved AMD ARM stuff that never came to light. The people who designed Zen largely still work for AMD.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Khorne posted:

Keller was mostly responsible for the shelved AMD ARM stuff that never came to light. The people who designed Zen largely still work for AMD.

Jim Keller was head of both the K12 and Zen teams [source]

It's obviously true that there are still CPU designers working for AMD.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Shame about k12. I was hoping that'd be a thing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shame about k12. I was hoping that'd be a thing.
Wasn't K12 essentially what Qualcomm is shipping in the Centriq 2400? Kinda sounds like they got beaten to the punch.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

To summon Keller gotta sacrifice a virgin computer architect at draped in layout tape inside a ring buffer while chanting Tomasulo's algorithm backwards

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Intel sacrificed their new devices group to summon forth Keller

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Malcolm XML posted:

To summon Keller gotta sacrifice a virgin computer architect at draped in layout tape inside a ring buffer while chanting Tomasulo's algorithm backwards

How do you summon Raja?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

How do you summon Raja?

You don't summon him, he shows up on your doorstep drooling and covered in fleas. Then you have to take him in, feed him, and clean up after his messes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

How do you summon Raja?

A pile of cash to attract the 'stache

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

1gnoirents posted:

Is this news to anybody here? I could have sworn the Intel GPU was like 100% confirmed not for gaming and probably stopped thinking about it but

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/04/11/intel-is-developing-a-desktop-gaming-gpu-to-fight-nvidia-amd/#32d2078c3578

Also this is just plain weird still

jonathan posted:

The curtains don't match the rug.

Raja is the Yin to Keller's Yang.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 27, 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

How do you summon Raja?

A bad Gacha roll during a 3x summon rate event.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Stock was in the low 20's when he took over 5 years ago, and now it's over 50. I expect the board is pretty happy.

It's easy to make your bottom line look good when your headcount gets shotgunned to hell. Nearly everyone on my old team that is still there is doing the work of 3+ people and with the hiring freeze still in place outside of specific project groups, it doesn't look like relief is coming for them anytime soon.

The only thing that got Intel off their rear end is literally AMD lighting a Zen Fire underneath it. Otherwise they would still have been dropping quad core/dual core mobile consumer CPU's and charging $1000+ for their HEDT chips like the last few years before Zen.

Sure there are probably other bits that pushed the bar, but can you say you've seen this kind of movement from Intel in the past what, 10 years at the speed they are moving since Zen dropped? Now Jim joins the mix because hey, he's done it for everyone else, now Intel can develop the next chip to surpass Core for the first time since CoreP3.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Jim Keller reveals himself to be none other than, Raja Koduri.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into Raja Koduri.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Intel: AMD inside

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Even with AMD being competitive, Spectre/Meltdown, and 10nm dead on the vine? Intel posted a record Q1. Client computing (desktop/laptop) up 3%, server up 24%.

One interesting point, volume 10nm is now officially pushed into 2019, 3 years late and counting.

https://s21.q4cdn.com/600692695/files/doc_financials/2018/Q1/Q1-2018_EarningsRelease-FINAL.pdf

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cygni posted:

Even with AMD being competitive, Spectre/Meltdown, and 10nm dead on the vine? Intel posted a record Q1. Client computing (desktop/laptop) up 3%, server up 24%.

One interesting point, volume 10nm is now officially pushed into 2019, 3 years late and counting.

https://s21.q4cdn.com/600692695/files/doc_financials/2018/Q1/Q1-2018_EarningsRelease-FINAL.pdf

Just the Intel's net profit increase alone is only 19x more than AMD's entire profit this quarter :lol:

There's AMD financials, and there's is everybody else financials.

BobHoward posted:

Musk thinks that the biggest near term risk to humanity is the possibility that someone will invent a self-improving AI that will make itself into a malevolent godlike being which will then Skynet us.

No, seriously, he actually thinks that, and promotes the idea with gusto. He's a dipshit.

But hey, keep clinging to that just-world fallacy.

I can't still cold boot a PC in bloody 2018 instantly and we now talking about omnipotent AI

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 27, 2018

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/david_schor/status/989620729137258501?s=19

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Palladium posted:

Just the Intel's net profit increase alone is only 19x more than AMD's entire profit this quarter :lol:

There's AMD financials, and there's is everybody else financials.

I can't still cold boot a PC in bloody 2018 instantly and we now talking about omnipotent AI

Boot time doesn't matter cuz the AI only needs to boot once to kill us all :v:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Malcolm XML posted:

Tesla is bleeding cash and Elon is notorious for being a poo poo micromanager who talks a big game but has trouble executing on time.

Tesla is in deep poo poo if it can't get its manufacturing on track before 2020. Autopilot is a failure--it's less developed than off the shelf safety tech. The model 3 is a beta car that's insanely hard to produce and has poor fit and finish despite having great bones

Elon's dumbass strategic leadership delayed their electric suv by years in market where sedans are dying.

Need I go on? Musk has had some successes but he isn't infallible and I'm not surprised Keller bailed out.

Like, it's an especially funny thing to say when Tesla just posted their worst quarterly loss ever of $675 million, and they only ever had two quarters of profitability, one in 2013 and one in 2016.

Palladium posted:

There's like a 99.99% correlation between "people who think AI is an immediate threat that will destroy the world" and "people who would destroy the world instantly if you gave them the ability".

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Cygni posted:

Wasn't K12 essentially what Qualcomm is shipping in the Centriq 2400? Kinda sounds like they got beaten to the punch.
AMD basically abandoned their ARM processor.

It should've been out right around Zen launch initially IIRC. No one really knows why it was abandoned but the general rumor is that once they saw how good Zen was turning out it got pushed the wayside since they considered a new Intel competitive x86 chip to be a safer financial bet than a server targeted ARM chip.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Rastor posted:

You don't summon him, he shows up on your doorstep drooling and covered in fleas. Then you have to take him in, feed him, and clean up after his messes.

Referring to an Indian as a stray animal is pretty disgusting.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I am very offended

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Cheap Trick posted:

Yeah that's... Not a good look

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

AMD basically abandoned their ARM processor.

It should've been out right around Zen launch initially IIRC. No one really knows why it was abandoned but the general rumor is that once they saw how good Zen was turning out it got pushed the wayside since they considered a new Intel competitive x86 chip to be a safer financial bet than a server targeted ARM chip.

Arm for server is moribund now that hcc x86 exists especially with epyc

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Malcolm XML posted:

Arm for server is moribund now that hcc x86 exists especially with epyc
From the cloud computing side, I’m seeing ARM servers being sold as a way to reduce edge server operating costs through lower power usage for applications that are mostly I/O bound and don’t require the best CPU performance as much as price/power/performance which ARM has been pretty good for. This seems to be slow on uptake though because those at sufficient scale would be more concerned about software compatibility and testing headaches than opex I would imagine. Java shops are not about cost-cutting on infrastructure exactly either.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cheap Trick posted:

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah that's... Not a good look

I'm sorry the internet is so lovely these days that you thought that was some kind of race thing. :(

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Raja is an animal. Look what he did to Vega.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

LRADIKAL posted:

Yeah, that Elon guy can't make money at all, sheesh!

Telsa is going to be vying with Uber for the most unprofitable company in the history of the world pretty soon

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

fishmech posted:

There's like a 99.99% correlation between "people who think AI is an immediate threat that will destroy the world" and "people who would destroy the world instantly if you gave them the ability".

I mean... *gestures vaguely around*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Telsa is going to be vying with Uber for the most unprofitable company in the history of the world pretty soon

This got started because someone said something to the effect of "...Keller realized Musk is a loving idiot..."

What's your point? Amazon ran a deficit for years, so maybe he's more of a Bezos, except, he's beating Bezos (and ULA, and Russia) with his rocket company. So I guess I'll make the claim that god head Elon will turn Tesla into the most important car company in the history of man. Do you agree that Musk is a loving idiot, or is it that not all of his businesses are profitable?