Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure you still get the battle at the dam even if Caesar's dead.
You do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

turboraton posted:

Same but NCR.

Man, gently caress off with that poo poo Ulysses.

The virtues of House vs. The NCR vs.Independent New Vegas really just come down to personal beliefs and all have good points that can be reasonably argued, but the second you start saying "The NCR is just as bad as the legion!" is the second you start sounding like a dumbass.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Man, gently caress off with that poo poo Ulysses.

The virtues of House vs. The NCR vs.Independent New Vegas really just come down to personal beliefs and all have good points that can be reasonably argued, but the second you start saying "The NCR is just as bad as the legion!" is the second you start sounding like a dumbass.

Good thing I didn't say that. Legion is comically bad, like, there is no way to support them. NCR is corrupt and inept, House is an immortal tyrant and Independent is tough at first but then -*|The Way|*-

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Ulysses is basically the Ted Rall of the Mojave.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

turboraton posted:

Good thing I didn't say that. Legion is comically bad, like, there is no way to support them. NCR is corrupt and inept, House is an immortal tyrant and Independent is tough at first but then -*|The Way|*-

Ah, I clearly misinterpreted your post then. I assumed when you said "Same, but with the NCR" you were implying the two groups were the same, my bad.

Discendo Vox posted:

Ulysses is basically the Ted Rall of the Mojave.

Wow, that is the meanest thing I've ever heard anyone ever say about Ulysses.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Isn't the independent ending literally just a libertarians wet dream?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The settlements in the Mojave do not suddenly stop being societies and turn into free-for-alls just because there's no cattle baron armies or tech-bro mummy tyrants or cosplay rape gangs running roughshod over the place.

In any case, an army of robots keep the peace and/or order afterward, depending on how competent the Courier was tending to the Mojave's business. At least the Courier has a choice to be an (absentee?) steward rather than a tyrant.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I mean I basically mentally write in the independent ending as "things get better for every honest person in the mojave". So I guess if that means some sort of libertarian paradise then so be it.

What happens if you "accidentally" goof up on Caesar's surgery? Are you next in command? I feel like Caesar already has someone pre-selected before he lets you operate on his brain, just to prevent those "accidents" from happening.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

buglord posted:

What happens if you "accidentally" goof up on Caesar's surgery? Are you next in command? I feel like Caesar already has someone pre-selected before he lets you operate on his brain, just to prevent those "accidents" from happening.

Caesar has a line of succession where a person will take over in the event of his death. In this case it's his second-in-command, Legate Lanius. Although this seems more in line with Mad Max than an actual protege that Caesar was personally grooming for the express purpose of running the legion. Lanius is a poor choice and Caesar knows this. That's why he's so desperate to end the war quickly. Lanius doesn't have the head for the expansion in a practical fashion. He'll throw bodies at the problem whereas Caesar is playing the long game on borrowed time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Not really? The Mojave remains independent, but all of the local societies have their own simple governments. It's not unbridled capitalism.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I admittedly never quite got the logic of Caesar rolling with Lanius as a successor, unless it was just a thing where no one else in the Legion was possibly going to beat that guy in an inevitable duel to the death for the throne. And he was probably too useful as a killbot for Caesar to chuck him off of a cliff.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I think a large reason for sympathy for the Legion stems from the general milieu of most video-game RPG writing. In Fallout 3 and Fallout 2, the Enclave were genocidal for the sake of genocide and their plan would have ended up with everyone dead. In Dragon Age, the darkspawn look like monsters and engage in mindless slaughter without any apparent motivation. Same with Mass Effect and the Reapers, until the last half hour of Mass Effect 3--and that was, well pretty odd. Oblivion and Skyrim have you fighting daedra and dragons as the main antagonists.

The Legion commits rape and genocide and has torture and capital punishment as state policy for relatively minor offenses, but they also are good at preventing banditry in their territories and they're trying to impose order rather than just raping and murdering for the fun of it. I guess that's moral ambiguity in the video game landscape, but not really anywhere else.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DeathChicken posted:

Yeah, I admittedly never quite got the logic of Caesar rolling with Lanius as a successor, unless it was just a thing where no one else in the Legion was possibly going to beat that guy in an inevitable duel to the death for the throne. And he was probably too useful as a killbot for Caesar to chuck him off of a cliff.

Caesar doesn't seem to have ever really planned for his death; in classic dictator form, he just does the minimum expected. Also bear in mind it's at least implied there have been a few "Legate Lanius"es- the role was basically to be a military puppet.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The main thing is that Caesar wants to keep the Legion dumb. If the Legion was a conclave of free-thought and alternative ideas learned from history they would most likely come to the conclusion that the Legion is a destructive sham. Granted a very effective sham, but nevertheless unrestricted knowledge is a threat to Caesar's idea of what the future of the legion should be. Even if he got his State it would most likely devolve into backdoor political dealings or a coterie of backstabbings after his death. It would end up similar to the NCR where a few people at the top are using citizens as a way to get what they want to stay in power. He's wrestling with the pit dogs he created with his 'teachings,' but he's too prideful to see that no matter what he chooses they'll end up devouring themselves. It's just a matter of sooner rather than later.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I just figured Lanius was from an early tribe, looting and pillaging his way to power and status in the Legion. Much like the original Romans.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Lanius has contradictory origin stories from several different sources.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DeathChicken posted:

I think Lanius is just the best available option left after all the smart people in the legion either became disillusioned with Caesar's brutal leadership style and departed (like Ulysses) or were murdered by Caesar because they were a threat to his reign (like he tried to do with Joshua Graham).

Caesar wanted an army that was dumb, loyal, and strong. They were the body, he was the head, which worked out great until his own head turned rotten.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gaining strength through struggle is a pretty integral part of fascism. So when Caesar dies and the Legion collapses into chaos as everyone and their dog fights for power that is actually a good thing because whoever comes out on top must be the best candidate for leadership.

You see a version of this way of thinking in the Third Reich where infighting and division were actively encouraged. Like wasn't uncommon for two people or institutions to have the exact same job and responsibilities so they'd have to compete with each other often while being given contradictory orders. Their entire system was set up to let the ruthless succeed which had the downside government was basically just a huge messin a of factions trying to gently caress each other over so they could be the ones to impress Daddy Hitler. Meanwhile Hitler himself slept in every day and ignored any part of of governance that he found boring (everything except war and huge architectural projects).

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

McTimmy posted:

Lanius has contradictory origin stories from several different sources.

That rules.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So I literally just got back from a week in Vegas. Visited some places like Red Rock Canyon and Zion.

Holy poo poo. :lol: I think it sort of ruined New Vegas for me a little. Like, I blame the engine, but it's totally incapable of capturing what the real places looked like.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

FreudianSlippers posted:

Gaining strength through struggle is a pretty integral part of fascism. So when Caesar dies and the Legion collapses into chaos as everyone and their dog fights for power that is actually a good thing because whoever comes out on top must be the best candidate for leadership.

You see a version of this way of thinking in the Third Reich where infighting and division were actively encouraged. Like wasn't uncommon for two people or institutions to have the exact same job and responsibilities so they'd have to compete with each other often while being given contradictory orders. Their entire system was set up to let the ruthless succeed which had the downside government was basically just a huge messin a of factions trying to gently caress each other over so they could be the ones to impress Daddy Hitler. Meanwhile Hitler himself slept in every day and ignored any part of of governance that he found boring (everything except war and huge architectural projects).

For a more recent example, see the slow collapse of Sears.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fintilgin posted:

So I literally just got back from a week in Vegas. Visited some places like Red Rock Canyon and Zion.

Holy poo poo. :lol: I think it sort of ruined New Vegas for me a little. Like, I blame the engine, but it's totally incapable of capturing what the real places looked like.

Now imagine how big Boston Commons actually is compared to the tiny park and pond in fallout 4

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Now imagine how big Boston Commons actually is compared to the tiny park and pond in fallout 4

Oh, I know. I've spent a lot of time hiking around Mt. Desert island, so Far Harbor was... bemusing.

But I'd never been out west or past the Mississippi, so I think it was easier to suspend my disbelief for New Vegas.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Fintilgin posted:

To be fair I don't think photographs really capture what it's like either. Zion was much more lush irl. It really felt like paradise on earth. If anyone gets the chance I highly recommend it, it's probably my favorite place that I have ever visited.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 12, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

OctaviusBeaver posted:

To be fair I don't think photographs really capture what it's like either. Zion was much more lush irl. It really felt like paradise on earth. If anyone gets the chance I really recommend it, it's probably my favorite place that I have ever visited.

I actually just started a job in the near-ish area (Within 4-5 hours), so I'm definitely going to make a trip within the next few months. I've wanted to visit ever since I learned about the place from Honest Hearts, and I'm really excited to finally have the chance to go.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I remember someone saying they couldn't play Honest Hearts anymore because they'd been to Zion and the game couldn't compare to the real life place, and the game director responded saying his aim was to get people to want to visit Zion, so as far as he was concerned that was mission accomplished

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I dunno, I went to the real Zion and was disappointed by the paltry loot and lack of side quests. Graphics just aren't big on my standards

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I can't play Honest Hearts cuz it's not very fun and the scripted scene in the beginning is in conflict with my RP in every bethesda game of begining the sole arbiter of life and death.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

2house2fly posted:

I remember someone saying they couldn't play Honest Hearts anymore because they'd been to Zion and the game couldn't compare to the real life place, and the game director responded saying his aim was to get people to want to visit Zion, so as far as he was concerned that was mission accomplished

Yeah, I sort of agree. I mean... they both have.... cliffs, but similarities pretty much end there. I never would have guessed they were meant to be the same place if I hadn't been told.

I also put it on our list because of those recommendations by ropekid. A day trip was not enough, but it was a day trip or not at all. It was my wife's favorite part of the trip.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Caufman posted:

I dunno, I went to the real Zion and was disappointed by the paltry loot

That's because your Sneak and Lockpick skills were too low.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Being forced to take the shuttle bus on the loop made the whole thing kinda feel on rails, honestly.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wish I could find the source (or even any online evidence) of that story I heard of the luftwaffe raiding one of the army's trains.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Fintilgin posted:

On the other hand, you've got Nellis, which genuinely does have stuff like this sitting around in the hallways:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fintilgin posted:

Disagree.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439576&userid=27839&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post405359339

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fintilgin posted:

The natural environments in New Vegas are real bad and no mods I've tried applying have done anything to help.

I don't blame Obsidian for that at all tho, they worked with what they had

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I actually just started a job in the near-ish area (Within 4-5 hours), so I'm definitely going to make a trip within the next few months. I've wanted to visit ever since I learned about the place from Honest Hearts, and I'm really excited to finally have the chance to go.

Update: I decided to go 'gently caress it' and took my first free 'weekend' to go.

I got here about twenty minutes ago so it's too dark to see poo poo but my God this place is incredible

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 16, 2018

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

I'm mostly talking about the natural environments, particularly Zion, which doesn't even resemble what's in game.

Red Rock and Zion were sold to my wife as natural beauties. Minimal jokes were made about video game pilgrimages. I couldn't really justify a trip to Goodsprings, even if it's the Jerusalem of New Vegas pilgrims.

Stayed at SLS, and just by chance had a fantastic view of the Lucky 38 out my hotel room window.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Update from near the top of Angel's Landing:

Oh my God this is loving incredible and gently caress you Sawyer I have never been more terrified in my loving life

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Update: I decided to go 'gently caress it' and took my first free 'weekend' to go.

I got here about twenty minutes ago so it's too dark to see poo poo but my God this place is incredible

I recommend Emerald Pool Trail for something moderate and Hidden Canyon Trail if you want something scary. Angel's Landing was just terrifying, never again.

fake edit: too late

e2: and the narrows obviously, but watch out for bear traps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
We remember Zion indeed.