Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone notice that Alexa will sometimes say "playing music" and then doesn't play anything? Then you request a second time, and it does it then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
So I got a new phone after my old one got destroyed, and after signing in to the Alexa app, all I get is a blank white screen?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
For my birthday my wife got me a device that gives me Alexa in my car. It's pretty handy but doesn't do everything a home one does.

Also, it's pretty fun to gently caress with my wife by turning off the lights while I'm in traffic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Please tell me more about this device.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Anyone ever asked Alexa “ How do you say cupcake in German?”

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

Poetic Justice posted:

Anyone ever asked Alexa “ How do you say cupcake in German?”

Hahaha I just did

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Subjunctive posted:

Please tell me more about this device.

http://a.co/aHLLt7V

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cool, thanks!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

How's the recognition/false positive rate? I'd have to think that's not using purely local logic to hear the wake word but instead is using Amazon's cloud wake word recognition offering, and I've not heard great things about other devices that use it like the ecobee 4.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don’t all the Amazon devices use the cloud as well now, for false positive elimination?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

fordan posted:

How's the recognition/false positive rate? I'd have to think that's not using purely local logic to hear the wake word but instead is using Amazon's cloud wake word recognition offering, and I've not heard great things about other devices that use it like the ecobee 4.

I've only had it for like a week but it hasn't hosed up yet. There is a slight delay when waking but not that bad. The only real issue is that some skills don't work yet. Most of it does, kinda random.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Anyone know if I can use the Echo Connect in Canada?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Subjunctive posted:

Don’t all the Amazon devices use the cloud as well now, for false positive elimination?

I think so; when you see the Echo light up and then go dark without responding that's what's happening (assuming it isn't that another Echo heard you better). The Echo local hardware thinks it heard the wake word, sends the audio to the cloud (thus turning on the light since it lights up whenever it's sending audio to the cloud), gets told by the smarter algorithms in the cloud that it wasn't the wake word and shuts back down.

The usually cheaper 3rd party stuff has more limited local processing and so lights up due to sending to the cloud more often.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I just love when it erroneously activates, yelling 'alexa, shut up' instantly makes it stop talking and shut off.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Me, because I'm a nerd: "Alexa, tea, Earl Grey, hot."

Alexa: "The replicators on this vessel are not yet functional."

:3:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A real nerd would change the wake word to “Computer”.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I noticed that I could no longer play any music I wanted on my living room Echo (I bought it like 4 weeks ago) but I could on my Echo dot (got it about 5 weeks ago, first purchase) and looked into Amazon Music Unlimited. Turns out I had an Echo sub for $3.99/month for one device and couldn't figure out how to make my living room Echo the default so I upgraded to the individual plan. Well that fixed it but now I have existential angst that I just gave up an additional $4/month to Jeff Bezos buying Comcast or something. Did I gently caress up?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Can you?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A real nerd gets to work from home and finds they say computer far more often than they thought

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah they added that early last year. You can set it to Alexa, Amazon, Echo, or Computer.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Honestly, "Amazon" is the worst choice of the four.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah they added that early last year. You can set it to Alexa, Amazon, Echo, or Computer.

No Satan, no sale. :colbert:

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

:ughh: I have failed.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Amazon announced today that they are raising Prime’s yearly subscription price to $119 a year.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Amazon announced today that they are raising Prime’s yearly subscription price to $119 a year.

gently caress. Between Amazon Prime and Amazon Music Unlimited I'm giving them over $200 a year now. I miss when we could split one up with 4 other goons.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'll buy a share of their stock if they give me Prime for free as long as I'm a shareholder

Surprised they haven't done that already

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That would be so annoying to administer. I don’t even want to think about it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

That would be so annoying to administer. I don’t even want to think about it.

Send shareholders a $120 gift certificate in December every year

Although I wonder how many would buy a share in October, get the free Prime certificate in December, and then sell the share in January

First world problems!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t think public companies generally have contact information for individual shareholders, but I haven’t really looked into it. I guess they have something in the case of dividends, but then they could just issue a dividend.

Apparently the voice rec stuff is getting updated to work better with children, including higher frequency handling and (no joke) supporting “Awexa”.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t think public companies generally have contact information for individual shareholders, but I haven’t really looked into it. I guess they have something in the case of dividends, but then they could just issue a dividend.

McDonald's has sent their shareholders free gift certificates/food coupons for years - I think they send them with their annual report

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well then!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/01/050201.asp

quote:

Other companies have been known to give their shareholders small tokens of their appreciation along with their annual reports. For example, AT&T has given shareholders a 10-minute phone card with its annual report, McDonald’s included a voucher for free fries and Starbucks ponied up a free cup of coffee.

None of those are exactly worth $120, but still

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Subjunctive posted:

Apparently the voice rec stuff is getting updated to work better with children, including higher frequency handling and (no joke) supporting “Awexa”.

Huh that's cool. My son constantly has been trying to get her to work consistently and can't but just last night she started responding to “Awexa, blah blah blah" pretty well. I guess they're already doing it?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Just picked up an echo dot 2nd gen at a local used electronics retailer for $30. So far this thing has been a blast to play with, but I was wondering if you guys new of any lesser known skills I should be using for this thing?

I don't have anything in my home to automate yet, but I was trying to figure out a way to make a Vice flash briefing like the dailymail one, or if one already exists.

Not sure what else this thing can do that would be useful and or fun. Any tips?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yay, named timers work for me (for Canada?) now!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Yay, named timers work for me (for Canada?) now!

Always worked for me up here in Canada

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heners_UK posted:

Always worked for me up here in Canada

Well aren't you fancy.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I know another goon has bought this and said how good it is so you might be interested.

http://twitter.com/amazonecho/status/999354464938143763

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I know another goon has bought this and said how good it is so you might be interested.

http://twitter.com/amazonecho/status/999354464938143763

The more I've gotten used to both it and the home unit, it's just ok. It's super delayed sometimes like when telling her to change music tracks. All depends on your cell phone connection and Sprint sucks so YMMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m not sure it would mechanically fit into my car, but I’ll admit that I’m curious.