Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
if 14 didnt look so aesthetics wise plain i would probably be tempted to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Relin posted:

if 14 didnt look so aesthetics wise plain i would probably be tempted to play it

play it anyway

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I would play FFXIV if they had an XI-style Dragon’s Aery where I could stand around for three hours with 200 other players and have a 5% chance to fight a monster that has a 1% chance to drop the one thing I need.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bregor posted:

I would play FFXIV if they had an XI-style Dragon’s Aery where I could stand around for three hours with 200 other players and have a 5% chance to fight a monster that has a 1% chance to drop the one thing I need.

That was what the re-launched version of The Diadem was, with weapons from the Emergency Mission.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
lol I just learned that all the grief from FF14 players is because the newest dungeon requires you to make a prime number. And 90% of the playerbase apparently doesn't know what a prime number is.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Die Sexmonster! posted:

play it anyway

I'd love to get back into 14 if I didn't know the part of my brain that is able to casually enjoy MMOs was broken and that I would sink another few thousand hours re-capping every job.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The reason I got into Final Fantasy in the first place was the numbers. I loved numbers as a kid, so when I saw a relative’s copy of FF4 and saw a game that shat out a lot of numbers I was like, “Holy loving poo poo this is cool” and eventually got my own copy for Christmas.

That numbers raid sounds like the coolest loving thing to me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Tae posted:

lol I just learned that all the grief from FF14 players is because the newest dungeon requires you to make a prime number. And 90% of the playerbase apparently doesn't know what a prime number is.

It's even more unusual because right before the boss there is a note on the ground that tells you what the first ten prime numbers are or such.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

voltcatfish posted:

It's even more unusual because right before the boss there is a note on the ground that tells you what the first ten prime numbers are or such.

Literacy isnt mandatory to making numbers go up.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

voltcatfish posted:

No one reads those.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Mega64 posted:

The reason I got into Final Fantasy in the first place was the numbers. I loved numbers as a kid, so when I saw a relative’s copy of FF4 and saw a game that shat out a lot of numbers I was like, “Holy loving poo poo this is cool” and eventually got my own copy for Christmas.

That numbers raid sounds like the coolest loving thing to me.

The raid boss in question will nukes everyone's HP to a single digit (and prevent healing for a bit) while putting down ground circles marked with various numbers. Then he'll yell out something like "VITALS ADJUSTED TO MULTIPLE OF 4" or Prime Number or whatnot. You have to make your HP match the equation by getting into one of the circles which will add that corresponding number to your HP count. Not getting in any circle is also a valid answer if your HP is already correct.

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 26, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

when i first played ff4 i assumed using Jump on the hedgehog rats at the beginning of the game would damage Kain

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oh hey, they did make it to airbuster. When I'm dead they'll be modeling the Chocobo Farm.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
IS that what I motherfucking think it is

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

IS that what I motherfucking think it is

No

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Phantasium posted:

Oh hey, they did make it to airbuster. When I'm dead they'll be modeling the Chocobo Farm.

lol, episode 1 will be just the midgar section and get released in 2023. why are they even doing this?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Attitude Indicator posted:

lol, episode 1 will be just the midgar section and get released in 2023. why are they even doing this?

It’ll just be a playable demo of the first reactor mission, released in 2020, and then quietly cancelled.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The good news: airbuster is in so the game covers both reactors!

Bad news: episode 1 ends on a cliffhanger with Cloud falling into the slums.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It'll get folded into Kingdom Hearts 4.7: §ector §olo §lide.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The screenshot really looks like it has an action select ATB menu thing in it on the bottom left.

I wonder if they've decided to pivot away from the whole real time combat thing and towards a more classic ATB Final Fantasy design.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
It could just be a KH style menu. It's still an action game but you have an onscreen menu to select things

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Press triangle at certain reaction points to make Barret say a Mister T joke.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

"I pity the fool who enjoys turn based combat!"

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think they had those menus visible in the trailer thing they released years ago. Probably going for a KH, crisis core like system.
I don't think square makes very good ARPGs, so i'd rather they didn't. but whatever, maybe they'll have figured it out by 2034?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really think they’ll drop the episodes thing at this point

But I did go to that FF 30th anniversary thing in Tokyo earlier this year and it had lots of FF7 remake concept art and the whole installation was themed around the flowers in the church which is lategame

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really think they’ll drop the episodes thing at this point

But I did go to that FF 30th anniversary thing in Tokyo earlier this year and it had lots of FF7 remake concept art and the whole installation was themed around the flowers in the church which is lategame

what makes you think that? everything we've seen from the game is from the first hour.

also, the church is in the first couple of hours of play.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh it’s the church except after Aeris died and she whispers stuff to you as you walk throughout the room lol

And I just cannot imagine this super delayed mess of a game being like, 10 hours long in the end

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

And I just cannot imagine this super delayed mess of a game being like, 10 hours long in the end

XV felt short. Well maybe not so much “short” as “cut short”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bring back FF13’s combat you cowards!

Also bring back fun Cloud, I worry about him

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Barudak posted:

Bring back FF13’s combat you cowards!

Also bring back fun Cloud, I worry about him

Fun Cloud died at the end of disc 3, all that remains is dull Vincent

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh it’s the church except after Aeris died and she whispers stuff to you as you walk throughout the room lol

That was never gonna happen they were gonna pad out each part until it's 40+ hours

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Attitude Indicator posted:

I think they had those menus visible in the trailer thing they released years ago. Probably going for a KH, crisis core like system.
I don't think square makes very good ARPGs, so i'd rather they didn't. but whatever, maybe they'll have figured it out by 2034?

Kingdom Hearts 2 on critical mode is dope af

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Calaveron posted:

Fun Cloud died at the end of disc 3, all that remains is dull Vincent

To be fair to Advent Children Cloud, he's kind of suffering from depression after having time to process everything that happened after he saved the world, and also he's dying of Sephiroth Cancer. He's more cheerful at the very end when Aeros cures his cancer.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
So i started playing Zodiac Age, the last time i played this game was on the original PS2 version, and now i have to decide what classes i want.

I'm trying to use all 12 jobs while using combinations that reflect the characters somewhat. I'm pretty much already set on Shikari/Foebreaker for Vaan and Archer/Red Battlemage for Fran. For the others so far i have:

Balthier: Machinist/??? - Could go with Uhlan i guess? Lots of people choose White Mage but i don't see Balthier doing that.
Basch: Knight/Bushi - Seems pretty good, but i'm also considering giving Knight to Ashe.
Ashe: Time Battlemage/Black Mage or Time Battlemage/Knight - Knight mostly because she starts with a sword, plus it makes sense with her eventually wielding the Sword of Kings. TBM because of Revenant Wings
Penelo: White Mage/??? - White Mage because of Revenant Wings, and that leaves Monk and Black Mage as the only things left i guess.

I'm not trying to play optimally and i don't plan to fight any of the superbosses, but i don't want any spectacularly bad combinations either. Any ideas?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So far, my verdict on FFIX is as follows:

This game could move at double speed, and would still feel too slow.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

So far, my verdict on FFIX is as follows:

This game could move at double speed, and would still feel too slow.

it was made in a different time and place, when people didn't feel the need to rush through life. slow down, haole.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Final Fantasy 9 and a speedup button are a match made in heaven.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Also it kinda pushed the PS1 to its limit and thus has lengthy loading times for battle masked by the circling transitions, IIRC.

At least Steam has Fast Forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

morallyobjected posted:

it was made in a different time and place, when people didn't feel the need to rush through life. slow down, haole.